Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swine flu

Options
  • 09-10-2009 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hi people, jsut had an appoint with my gp yesterday and we were talking about this swine flu vaccine. What do you all reckon will ye be getting the vaccine when it becomes available? Im really frightened about it, i think we dont know enough about what the side effects are, I haven't taken a paracetomol since i got pregnant and i have been through terrible headaches and toothaches in that time but im to frightened to harm my baby. Now im been asked to take a vaccine that contains mercury a nominal amount but still contains mercury and hope that it has no side effects on my baby.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

Not a hope in hell of me getting it!!! The midwife at my ante natal class said that they will be offering it to babies in the next two weeks or something, not a hope of me injecting it into the little one when he/she finally arrives either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

I'm 26 wks pregnant and no i'm not getting the swine flu injection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

well, nobody said anything to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭bumpintraining

I'm also worried about the swine flu vaccine I prob won't get it; but that said i'm terrified of getting swine flu while i'm pregnant:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

I'm also worried about the swine flu vaccine I prob won't get it; but that said i'm terrified of getting swine flu while i'm pregnant:confused:

i know me too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

Spoke to my consultant about it, she advised I get it. She pointed out flu vaccine's have always been safe in pregnancy, and this is just another flu vaccine. I have not decided yet. I am a nurse so I am in 2 high risk catagories...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'll get it if my GP advises me to. She didn't advise me to get the seasonal flu one (didn't advise me not to either).

I've only ever had a flu once in my life I'm not hugely worried about the swine flu.

OP, if you're not going to take paracetemol it's unlikely you'll get the vaccine really!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I am going to get it, but I live in the USA now, where they are much bigger on pregnant women getting the flu vaccine, seasonal and otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I was reading yesterday that the vaccine may not even be available until early 2010 so you mightn't have to worry about it just yet anyway!

I don't think I like the idea of getting it during pregnancy tho! I wouldn't even get the seasonal flu vaccine. I'm also a nurse so would be in a risk category. I'd just like to see what the side effects of the vaccine are first and whether there are any reported adverse reactions during pregnancy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

I'm 28 weeks and I don't think I'll get it. I think I'll take my chances. My sister in law got the swine flu and was told to just take paracetamol. There is no miracle cure you just have to stay in bed for the week and it passes. Its not ideal when your pregnant but I don't think I'd risk the vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

No way would I get it. If it cant be given to babies under 6 months I wonder how they can justify giving it to mums to be.

I'd rather take my chances with the flu. My GP was telling me that so far he has treated 3 pregnant women with swine flu all of whom were otherwise healthy and it hasnt had any long term effects on either them or their babies so I think I would just rather get sick and take my chances

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Oh it totally terrifies me! I was up for getting the flu jab if neccessary, as all sources say it's safe, it's been around a while etc.
    I asked my doctor about it and he told me to just get the swine flu vaccine. Now, he told me it was perfectly safe, but I don't know if I beleive him. It's a new strain and a new vaccine....how can they know??

But catching swine flu terrifies me too. Doctors can go lalala about how mother and baby are fine. They do it about everything...but how do they know for sure? How do they know that there won't be ramifications when the baby is older? Not everything is visible.

Total catch 22 >.<

oh -- also to the OP

I was paranoid about taking pain killers as well. I ended up getting very very ill for a while, and couldn't take the pain. Also, I've been told that your baby can feel the pain your in, which makes me a little sick!

Paracetamol (tylenol in the states) is perfectly safe to take. It is the only one they deem risk free. After doing the research, I felt much more comftorable about taking it.

Just ask the chemist...I take panadol max effervescent (sp??) yokes. I've only taken 2 my entire pregnancy, but sometimes the pain releif is needed. Talk to your doctor about it, and don't be afraid to reach for one in times of desperate need!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

has any one made up minds on this since they are now urging pregnant women to get it? i think id rather take the chance of not getting it, i am litterally never sick and im so afraid of bein a guinea pig for a new procedure while carrying a baby

im still torn lois--

was at the GP last night and he was encouraging me to get it...but i just dont know.

They are starting the vaccination's the week of 2nd november, the week I am being induced. I will definitely not be getting it before baby arrives. I am now considering getting it after baby is born, but I am planning to breast feed so have a whole new set of worries over it.
    According to a Dr. who was on the radio, the vaccine contains small ammounts of mercury, which I know worries a lot of people. Another thing that worries me is that the HSE do not seem sure if it is a 1 or 2 dose vaccine, they think 1 is sufficient. THEY THINK!! To be honest, if they can not decide on that, how can they advise us to get it?
    The more I hear about it, the more confused I get. I have not heard anything about giving it to babies, has anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Hi beachbabe and everyone on this thread... its all so worrying isn't it? Just thought I'd let you know re babies as my little one had her 6 week check with the hospital yesterday. The Doc spoke A LOT about swine flu which really got me anxious, babies under 6 months can not and will not be given the vaccine, so what happens if they get it?? So scary, I guess we just have to hope the little critters are strong enough to fight it, but I'd be worried sick if mine even got a little cold!!
    But here's some more food for thought... on one of the reports I heard over the last few days the HSE seemingly said that women who are 'up to 6 weeks after having given birth' (their strange phrasing, not mine) should also get the vaccine??? that was a new one on me so now I'm doubly frecked, but generally just getting on with things hoping we can avoid it by having the gel at the ready!
    If its any consolation for us all the Doc yesterday said she had heard from microbiologist mates that its at its peck now and should be dying down by December.

The up to 6 weeks after giving birth that the HSE said is what is causing me all the new worries! On one hand, if they are not giving it to babies, then I do not have to worry about it. However, if the baby got swine flu I would be soooo worried. I suppose if I vaccinate myself, it cuts down on the risk of me passing it on. My husband is not in any risk category, so will have to wait if he is going to get the vaccine, so surely he could pass it on to baby even if I am vaccinated.
    It is all so confusing, and there is so little info out there. I know I will be limiting visitors after baby arrives, and anyone with so much as a sniffle will be asked to keep away. If people have a problem with that, tough.

See thats the thing....if it will be dying down soon, i dont see why i should get it now... hmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I'm going to speak to my GP about it next week but I'm 90% sure I am going to get it.
    I am frightened stiff that it could harm my baby, but I'm more scared that if I don't get vaccinated that I'll jeopardise both baby and me.
    I have a history of asthma so from what I've read that coupled with the fact that I'm already short of breath being pregnant - if I did get the flu then it would be very risky.

I'm going to ask my GP if the regular seasonal flu jab would be sufficient as that's been used for decades with pregnant women without issue.

Its so hard trying to make the right decision, the whole time its at the back of my mind that if it did harm my baby I would be responsible for it and its a horrible feeling. :(

My mum said when she had me they had the same dilemma regarding the MMR jabs, there were so many people against it being given to babies as there was for it and it was very difficult for her to make a decision on it.
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

I'm going to ask my GP if the regular seasonal flu jab would be sufficient as that's been used for decades with pregnant women without issue.

Swine flu is a different type of flu from seasonal, so the seasonal flu vaccine is no help.

As to seasonal flu vaccine being used for decades - it is a new vaccine every year. As flu virus changes they change the vaccine. So the one you are getting this year is not the same as you were getting last year, iykwim
    However, people who develop it are pretty good at it coz of lots of practice :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Thanks Ebmma so much for my hope of being able to get the tried and tested normal flu vaccine instead :rolleyes:

I just found something else that'll make it make awkward for me to get it also, the swine flu vaccine can't be given to people with egg allergys which I have.

Think I'll have to call into the doc and see if there's an alternative, I know in America they do have an egg free vaccine but I doubt somehow that there is.

Thanks Ebmma so much for my hope of being able to get the tried and tested normal flu vaccine instead :rolleyes:

I just found something else that'll make it make awkward for me to get it also, the swine flu vaccine can't be given to people with egg allergys which I have.

Think I'll have to call into the doc and see if there's an alternative, I know in America they do have an egg free vaccine but I doubt somehow that there is.

Sorry :)
    It is pretty much as tried and tested as a flu vaccine is going to get.
    I know many people want to know about 'long term effects' but it is just not the same with flu. You can't do a trial over several years because the strain you made vaccine for would mutate over time and by the time you are happy with long trials it's utterly useless. That's why they only get several months trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I saw two reports on it in the rte news last week (http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1058376 1st news item, http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1058449 3:40 in) that put the willies up me. According to them the incidence of swine flu has overtaken the seasonal flu and pregnant women are 4 times more likely to develop complications that non pregnant women. The missus was at her gp today and asked him about it. He strongly recommended she get it, especially seeing as she is in a high risk category because of her job as well as pregnant. The midwife at the antenatal classes also recommended it too. and all medical advice seems to be for pregnant women to get it.
    She is thinking now that she will probably get it. Would prefer if the vaccine without traces of mercury was out though.

I was in for an antenatal appointment today and my obstetrician sent me this in an email:

PRESS RELEASE

INSTITUTE OF OBSTETRICIANS & GYNAECOLOGISTS, RCPI

FRIDAY 23RD OCTOBER 2009 @ 2.00PM

H1N1 VACCINE FOR WOMEN WHO ARE PREGNANT OR ARE BREASTFEEDING

H1N1 is a new type of influenza virus which causes respiratory disease. For
    most people, H1N1 has caused mild to moderate illness. Women who are
    pregnant or breastfeeding are more susceptible to a more severe illness
    should they become infected with H1N1.

Evidence suggests that pregnant women are four times more likely to develop
    serious complications or be hospitalised from H1N1 than non-pregnant women.
    These complications include early labour or severe pneumonia. The risk of
    these complications is higher after 14 weeks of pregnancy and for pregnant
    women who are at risk of medical complications.

It has been shown that vaccination is the best way to prevent this illness
    and its potential complications and confers passive immunity for up to six
    months for the newborn baby.

The National Immunisation Advisory Committee of the Royal College of
    Physicians of Ireland (RCPI) has recommended that the following receive the
    vaccine:

All pregnant women from 14 weeks pregnant to 6 weeks after giving birth
    Pregnant women up to 14 weeks pregnant who also have one of the at-risk
    medical conditions
    Long term lung disease
    Long term heart disease
    Long term kidney disease
    Long term liver disease
    Long term neurological disease
    Diabetes
    Morbid obesity
    Haemoglobinopathies
    Immunosuppression

The Institute of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, RCPI endorses this
    position as does the World Health Organisation and the European Centre for
    Disease Prevention and Control.

There are two H1N1 vaccines licensed for use in Ireland, Pandemrix and
    Celvapan. While there are differences between the vaccines as to how they
    are manufactured and their ingredients, both have been licensed for use by
    the European Medicines Agency and the Irish Medicines Board. Both are
    considered equally safe, based on available evidence, for use in pregnancy
    and in the 6 weeks after delivery.

No concerns have been raised with respect to the seasonal flu vaccine in
    pregnancy over its many years of use. A similar safety profile with the
    H1N1 vaccine is anticipated.

It is generally agreed both nationally and internationally that potential
    complications associated with H1N1 in pregnancy far outweigh any possible
    risks associated with vaccination in pregnancy.

The Institute of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, RCPI, based on available
    evidence, recommends vaccination in pregnancy for all after 14 weeks of
    pregnancy and up to 6 weeks post delivery and in certain situations
    (outlined above) in pregnant women less than 14 weeks pregnant.

ENDS

Edel Harrington

Faculty of Paediatrics

Institute of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists

Royal College of Physicians of Ireland

19 South Frederick Street, Dublin 2

Phone: 01 8639 700

Direct Line: 01 8639 729

Fax: 01 672 4707

He recommended the Celvapan vaccine, he didn't say why, just that it was his preferred vaccine.

Apparently he's been to a few conferences about the vaccine and he would highly recommend getting it. I'm half thinking that I will get it now, especially being a nurse. My husband is a full time student so is worried about bringing it home to me too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Was in with my consultant today and he actually told me I'd be mad not to get the vaccine. Rang my GP and she's not providing it. She's really wushu washy at the best of times but when I told my consultant about her not giving me a straight answer on the seasonal flu vaccine he was apalled that a medical professional refused to give medical advice! So again I'm thinking "new GP". Should have really done it when she sent my Mam to a Chinese herballist (unregulated) when she went for HRT patches!

Going to be making my vaccination appointment with the local clinic as soon as it's confirmed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Well, I had the vacine a few hours ago - am glad that I did, though there is tons of paperwork and you have to sign a disclaimer or two...

I'm not sure I like the idea of signing disclaimers! If I'm going to get this vaccine because it's recommended by the professionals, I want them to take some responsibility if something goes wrong!

I rang my GP this morning and they are going to ring me back on Monday with an appointment to get the vaccine. I'm still undecided but I still have a few days to think about it.

From doing a bit of reading, it seems that the Celvapan doesn't contain any mercury, so thats the one I'll be looking to get!

Do you know the name of the vaccine you got Cathy?

You need to sign disclaimers for any vaccine.
    I remember getting MMR a year or 2 ago when there was a mumps outbreak in college and had to sign a paper saying that I'm basically informed about what it does. And that I should not get pregnant in the following 3 months.
    I think it's only sensible. Otherwise there will be always somebody showing up saying that they weren't informed of this, that or the other.

• Advertisement

That sounds more like consent forms to me, and I'll happily sign a consent form.

My understanding of a disclaimer is that the responsibility is passed to you if anything goes wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement