Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What controller should I buy?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

OK thanks guys - as much as the A&H looks great I'm not sure I can justify spending that amount of money for my actual still level - I'm hardly putting any real challenge to Hawtin lol!

Jeff and Neal I'd really appreciate a run though of your setups - I'll be in touch. I suppose just casue I'm so used to my current one and I'm totally not used to using traktor with beatgridding etc - will be interesting to see how it works without platters etc.

Thanks for the help and keep any other advice coming!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Finding it hard to ignore what a good solution this is....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Ean Golden is a great "controllerist" so he uses the vci to its full potential. Id go with the vci 100 if I where you. Don't mind Jeff he is only a producer :rolleyes:.
    :pac:

Yeah true enough. Joker has offered to give me a run through on his so I'm sure the standard will be plenty for me, I can always upgrade later if needed. I'm still also going to consider jeffs route, I'm very interested to see what its going to be like.

VJ out of interest what is your setup?

Two Technics 1210's, a CDJ-200, a CDJ-400, a DJM-600 and Torq 1.5.1 although I don't use Torq.

Oh and a lovely table and couch from Ikea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Two Technics 1210's, a CDJ-200, a CDJ-400, a DJM-600 and Torq 1.5.1 although I don't use Torq.

Oh and a lovely table and couch from Ikea.
    You mix from your couch? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Can you get skins for any of those controllers? Would be handy if you wanted to map a few apps.

Just as I watch that VCI 100 video I think its a laborious way of loading tracks. My TC is only a toy really but its system seems far easier to use. One large knob, twist to search up and down, press for folder in/out. Once you have the track you want just use left and right load buttons directly below. No shift clicking on hitting a button 20 times to get the track you want.

Same for the loop. Why not have one more button so that you adjust the pitch without using a pair of buttons.

More shifting for the faders....
    Nice long faders though.
    Headphone controls are a little overly optimized for space:p
    And there's the skin....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Zascar wrote: »

ok no offence here, but i get the feeling you don't understand how midi controllers or cc messages work?

the features in that video can be done on ANY controller. All that video is showing is features of traktor being controlled by a midi controller. It just happens that the layout of that controller apes a dj mixer.

the price of that controller is ridiculous!!!!!

Please please listen to me about this!!

Ean Golden is a great "controllerist" so he uses the vci to its full potential. Id go with the vci 100 if I where you. Don't mind Jeff he is only a producer :rolleyes:.
    :pac:

haha, yes because the dj world is known for it's technical aptitude.

jtsuited wrote: »
    haha, yes because the dj world is known for it's technical aptitude.
    Now now none of your big words.

• Advertisement

However jtsuited is right, I have an oxygen 8v2 keyboard and have it mapped to both Traktor and Torq to carry out the exact same functions. In torq its a simple right click the twist procedure where as in Tarktor you have to go into preferences and manually assign each function.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

I'm actually less convinced about the VCI-100 after watching that! Have a look at this and see if you still think it's worth the €200, plus sound card, premium over the RMX?

I thought the Vestax would be my next upgrade but now it looks like I'll either be waiting for something else to come out, or saving for something fancier. :(

Hey Colly just seen a vci-100 with the arcade buttons on adverts.
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=153458&cat=55

Thanks dude! Could be a good buy for cheap.

I'm going to go check out JT's setup and see what i think of that type of setup. I've been offered a Evolution uc33e for cheap so I think something like this would be a good start - one other contoller combined might do the job.

I was tempted to bid on that Allen & Heath Xone 3D on ebay, went for decent money, but I just can't justfiy that money. I was also looking at the Xone:2D - as I was reading some reviews and it won the "Best standalone controller" in some awards. Possibly another option also but might be overkill / more expensive than necessary. Gotta love A&H though.

True the evolution thing is a perfect controller has enough pots and faders thats all you need really. I was looking at the new novation launchpad coming out next month looks great if you where thinking of going down the ableton route.

Nah not interested in Ableton really, gave it a shot but did not like it.

Traktor is for me really. I think the Evo could be good I'll be interested to see what its like to use. I find it strange how some people can use piano-like controllers for DJing - just seems weird to me, I'm just so used to the Xponent which is a dedicated DJ setup.

If I had the Evo first what would be a good second controller? Faderfox or something maybe?

Well using a keyboard is the same as any other fancy controller they all send out a midi signal to control some parameter on the software interface. So I have all my loop/cue/efx buttons assigned to keys on the keyboard then the rotary pots control the efx. I use my mixer for EQ's and volume control.

Well if you can assign the small buttons on the evo to play/stop/sync/efx(on/off) for each deck you won't need another controller.

eh i just realised something. the vci 100 doesn't have an audio interface (like the xponent). That means it's 500 euro for a FRIGGIN MIDI CONTROLLER. That is an absolute joke. Seriously.

Nope, you need a soundcard with it. A Native Instruments Audio 2 DJ etc.

I understand why you think its a joke but I don't think so really. The VCI-100 is one of the best selling DJ controllers out there - so lots of people are prepared to shell out.

I know you can technically achieve the same results with a few standard midi controllers but its not exactly the most elegant solution. The vestax is way neater and it has everything laid out the way you'd want it.

I may eat my words when I see your setup Jeff but I don't think it's an 'absolute joke'
    :)

ok so it's one of the best selling controllers out there.without stepping on too many toes, that's because there are millions of bedroom dj's who simply don't know better.

here's the thing. the 'dj market' is like the 'guitarist market'. technology develops and then the real money is made when that technology is simplified, overpriced and sold to people who don't know any better.
    That vestax controller wreaks of that approach to me.

• Advertisement

oh and i just thought of something :

if you have a separate interface with two stereo outs, why not just use the mixer? why use a controller and the mixer??? Am I missing something here?

Oh btw Ean Golden uses a novation keyboard with an external sound card while DJing. Jeff is right the vci Is ridiculously over priced but if thats what you want colly, Power to you :pac:.

Yes ideally using the mixer would be a good way. I just don't have a mixer right now.

Actually, scrap that. I do actually have an old Behringer DJX700 in a mates house I could use. Maybe for the moment that with the Evo could work, see how it goes.

Find out what you need to control, then find out how many buttons, pots and sliders this requires then you have what your looking for.

Yes ideally using the mixer would be a good way. I just don't have a mixer right now.

Actually, scrap that. I do actually have an old Behringer DJX700 in a mates house I could use. Maybe for the moment that with the Evo could work, see how it goes.

but you wouldn't need a mixer for home use, because you can just mix internally (using a cheap and cheerful midi controller). And then in clubs, you just use the house mixer (which is nearly always gonna be a djm or A&H).

Oh btw Ean Golden uses a novation keyboard with an external sound card while DJing. Jeff is right the vci Is ridiculously over priced but if thats what you want colly, Power to you :pac:.

Well, its not definitely what I want, it just looks like a viable option for me at the moment. I don't know I just like the idea of an all in one solution, I'm used to it with my Xponent which I loved for many many reasons. What attracts me to the Vestax is its a decent all one one, and it's "Traktor Ready".

I just won't know what I want at this stage really. Whenever it comes to buying things like this I'm generally hugely indecisive until I've tried everything and decided for myself which i prefer and what suits my needs best. Which is why I always some on to forums and create giant threads to get all the best advice!

So, sorry for being a pain in the ass but please keep the opinions coming and hopefully I'll make the right decision soon!

What attracts me to the Vestax is its a decent all one one, and it's "Traktor Ready".

what that phrase means is that there's a traktor midi map available for download (or it comes in the box).
    Guarantee I could make that midi map in under 10 minutes. I did it with acman's djm800 in about 5 minutes the other day (for no other reason than seeing if it could be done).

I've had loads of controllers that have been 'logic/ableton/traktor/reason/etc. ready' and all it means is there's an automap file somewhere for download (or in the box).

Yep true, but it also means that generally the unit itself is designed with this type of DJ software in mind. Using a few generic midi controllers will enable you to control the same knobs and sliders etc, but they are built to be generic controllers and not necessarily laid out specifically as a DJ would want it. This is what really appeals to me most I think - the DJ designed layout, and the simplicity of just one unit (with a souncard). Neither the Vestax or the Audio 2 DJ even need a power supply!

I know some will think I'm mad but that is still where my preference lies right now really...

That VCI-100 on adverts got sold. I thought it was way too expensive anyway, you can get a new one (without the buttons) for €400 delivered.

• Advertisement

Yeah thought it was way too expensive alright. Would have thought it was worth what you offered.

Advertisement