Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Common Application System (CAS) for entering secondary schools in Limerick

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

banie01 wrote: »
    Back when I did my CAS the system was slighty different and the rumour back then was that ASR and Laurel Hill would skim the highest achievers from the common entrance exams.
    Now it has moved to that, along with sporting prowess

I think this bit has slightly changed now in that I understand that primary schools can't give secondary schools academic information, like Drumcondra test results for example & that the entrance exams take place AFTER an offer of a place has been made & accepted so the secondary schools can put together classes of mixed ability

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I think this bit has slightly changed now in that I understand that primary schools can't give secondary schools academic information, like Drumcondra test results for example & that the entrance exams take place AFTER an offer of a place has been made & accepted so the secondary schools can put together classes of mixed ability

Yeah that bit has changed.
    Back in my day @'91 it was a case that there was a common entrance exam was done prior to the offer.(Which is why the 2 elite schools were accused of skimming)

Nowadays its offer, acceptance and then permission is sought by the secondary school to have the primary records forwarded on.(and a streaming exam the takes place)
    My son went through the process a couple of years ago and its a lot less stressful an approach than the old common exam system before offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Our daughter got a place in Crescent College Comprehensive. We had no right of entry and are very lucky to have got a place. Two other children in her class applied to Crescent and didn't get a place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Ard Scoil have taken lads in from other counties and miles away from the school

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

bigpink wrote: »
    Ard Scoil have taken lads in from other counties and miles away from the school

So has every other secondary school in Limerick, every school in Limerick has students from outside its immediate area.
    As already pointed out, if a student lives in the Holy Rosary parish they have right of entry.
    After all the right of entry places are filled (based on 5 criteria last time I looked), any other places remaining are allocated on a lottery basis
    Names are drawn from a hat, distance from the achool is not a a criteria in that lottery.

Again I would reiterate that ASR have never lost an admissions appeal and while they may have students attending from out the county, the places were and are allocated on the basis of their published admissions policy.

Its far from a perfect system, but in my experience it is implented in a transparent and homogenous manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stuckintipp

Principal of Educate together Secondary School has resigned.

No principal, no building, no staff, no clarity.

Anyone know how many applied or they took in?

It must be concerning times for students and parents

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Interesting. I was wondering how the hell this school was actually going to open in September when it had no premises, no staff, and a principal only appointed in mid-January. He either spent a few weeks seeing it as an impossible task or got a better offer very quickly, as ET started advertising to fill the position again on the 19th of this month.

Interestingly, unlike most ET schools that have been established by a parents committee, this is a school that is being opened by Department of Education who then chose ET to be the patron body. The Dept of Ed shouldn't have let it get this far down the road unless they, at a bare minimum, had a site acquired.

GCL announced the purchase of Dawn Dairies as their new school site 2 years ago and still no plans or planning permission. The ETB school could be in limbo and on a temp site for a long long time.

This school was pushed through by Jan O'Sullivan during her few months as Education minister. Politics before actual educational needs is what is the root cause of this mess. The students will suffer educational due to the ideological push for an ETB secondary school.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I was quite involved in the decision making process of the two new schools and I've got to quote Luke Skywalker at that last post; Amazing. Every word of what you just said... was wrong.

1. The Dept of Ed identified a need for two new secondary schools in Limerick due to population pressure. One in Mungret and one in Castletroy.

2. Due to the system Ireland has of state schools being run by private patron bodies applications were sought for patrons interested in running the schools. Educate Together and the Limerick/Clare Education and Training Board both applied to be the patron of both schools. This resulted in a long campaigning process where expressions of interest were sought from all parents of possible future parents of students. Following this the schools were awarded, ETB got Mungret which opened in 2017 and ET got Castletroy which has no site.

3. As detailed in point 2, ET and ETB are two completely different bodies. There are two functional ETB schools in Limerick, Castletroy College and Mungret.

4. The fuçk-up here is entirely down to the Dept, who identified a need for a new school, picked a start date and started taking applications before they had a school.

5. Gaelcholáiste Luimnigh is an existing school planning a move to a new site. There is nothing comparable about the two situations.

lets see, i made 5 points in my post;

GCL announced the purchase of Dawn Dairies as their new school site 2 years ago and still no plans or planning permission. Not Wrong

The ET school could be in limbo and on a temp site for a long long time. Not Wrong

This school was pushed through by Jan O'Sullivan during her few months as Education minister. Not Wrong https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local-news/191014/Big-welcome-for-new-schools-in.html
    'When I was Minister, I was able to approve the establishment of a school in Mungret & Castletroy/Monaleen, to put the funding into the capital programme and start the process of identifying a patron.....' She's certainly claiming credit anyway.

Politics before actual educational needs is what is the root cause of this mess. Not Wrong Your point number 2 reinforces this 'Due to the system Ireland has of state schools being run by private patron bodies applications were sought for patrons interested in running the schools.' in other words ET was chosen not for their ability to deliver a new school but to offer an alternative, that my friend is politics

The students will suffer educational due to the ideological push for an ET secondary school.Not Wrong The ET school is so far away from appropriate facilitates that any students attending over the first few years will face restrictions and educational barriers.

BTW did you learn the Luke Skywalker quote while being 'quite involved in the decision making process of the two new schools' or is it a hobby of yours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

iguana wrote: »
    Interesting. I was wondering how the hell this school was actually going to open in September when it had no premises, no staff, and a principal only appointed in mid-January. He either spent a few weeks seeing it as an impossible task or got a better offer very quickly, as ET started advertising to fill the position again on the 19th of this month.

Interestingly, unlike most ET schools that have been established by a parents committee, this is a school that is being opened by Department of Education who then chose ET to be the patron body. The Dept of Ed shouldn't have let it get this far down the road unless they, at a bare minimum, had a site acquired.

Mungret Community College was set up in similar circumstances last year but is being run extremely well and was over subscribed this year. The difference probably is Mungret CC has the ETB behind it. The Educate together school doesn't seem to have the same support and experience behind it. I went to the open night for the new ET Castletroy school last October but came away with so many questions unanswered. I would not like to be a parent of a child that has received a place there for September, I had even heard last week that the school was going into the Northern Trust building. How true this is, I do not know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

ET castletroy are now interviewing for positions in September. Do they have a premises yet (if even temporary)?

ET castletroy are now interviewing for positions in September. Do they have a premises yet (if even temporary)?

Heard they have a two year lease on office space in the industrial estate near UL and the Troy studios.

Also heard they will have no science subjects, hope this isn’t true for the students sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Heard they have a two year lease on office space in the industrial estate near UL and the Troy studios.

Also heard they will have no science subjects, hope this isn’t true for the students sake.

Dont think that true about science as their advertisement for teachers included science!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Jane98 wrote: »
    Dont think that true about science as their advertisement for teachers included science!

Their ad us a bit catchall compared to regular ads for one or two subjects. Also on the application form they ask what else you could try your hands at if required !

Could you do the science curriculum without a lab or equipment?

Jane98 wrote: »

That’s good to hear, as much as I have doubts over how the ET school was rushed to announcement and the assiociated political decisions during establishment the students must have access to the full range of subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Seems like the Plassey site hasn’t worked out in time for September.

“Limerick East Educate Together looks set to open at the Salesian College at Fernbank, North Circular Road, which was purchased by Limerick City and County Council as part of the Cleeves site.”

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/329610/temporary-locationsecured-for-limerick-s-newest-school.html

Advertisement