Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Common Application System (CAS) for entering secondary schools in Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭geotrig

There are 2 large schools in corbally as is. munchins had building work going on recently and ardscoil mhuire has got funding for an extension as well, both are good schools .

I live in Corbally yes St Munchins is a fantastic school and so much money has been spent on it....St Marys alas has not had money spent on it in a long time....I went to their open night last year and this year and this extension was promised for the last three years...its not just an extension it needs, it needs a whole over haul....in any case I have other issues with sending her there other than what the building looks like....

It's such a terrible shame that millions has been piped into the local boys school and nothing has been done to bring up ASM to the same or even a similar standard....90% of the boys from Scoil Ide go to St Munchins and their parents have no thoughts of any other school...the Parents of girls at the school is a different matter.....

I live in Corbally yes St Munchins is a fantastic school and so much money has been spent on it....St Marys alas has not had money spent on it in a long time....I went to their open night last year and this year and this extension was promised for the last three years...its not just an extension it needs, it needs a whole over haul....in any case I have other issues with sending her there other than what the building looks like....

Funding takes time unfortunately (the school i went to was trying to get funding for years! ):rolleyes:
    I do think you might have the wrong impression of the school though just on looks . Like all schools it has a mix of all types of students and preforms well overall, I' have found the teachers there excellent for the most part. Munchins is a good school but no better than many others either .

The look of the place is not the only thing I am taking into account....though having gone to a similar dreary looking SC I remember hating the look of it and couldn't wait to get out of it at the end of the day!! There are issues I feel that are probably personal to me and my daughter, not at all that I don't think its a good school or that the teachers aren't dedicated, they certainly came across as really dedicated....there are issues shall we say and I can't get passed them or at least I didn't walk into the school and feel 'ah despite everything she'll be grand here'.....

• Advertisement

Id be very surprised if your daughter wasnt grand in most schools ,At the end the day your daughter is going to be another no. in most , especially the bigger more popular ones.

Have you met with all the principles to go through your concerns ?Thats what most open nights are for.

Didn't get a chance at the one for ASM, it was chocca! I am going to meet with her current head and perhaps I should arrange for a meeting with the ASM head...I have a few more open nights to do also...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I am confused with the names - is Ard Scoil Muire and St. Mary's the same school?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

It's definitely worth having a chat with her own primary school principal. We met with our daughters principal and it was well worth doing as she gave us an insight into which options would be good for our daughter. We let her know which schools we were thinking of and she gave us feedback on how her pastpupils had got on in these schools. She knows our daughter very well and knows what kind of environment would suit her best. For us as a family this was the most important part of the process as we could get advice from someone who knows our daughter and knows the different options that would suit her both academically and socially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stuckintipp

dad123 wrote: »
    That's a good choice.... Although it could be dangerous putting Crescent number one, unless you were pretty sure of your place. I'd aim for Pallaskenry.... You would have no problem getting in, once its number one.
    I have nothing but good to say about it. Good luck!

Last year Cresent College rejected 1 pupil, the year before 2. The numbers applying have dropped considerably, Mungret College may have been the reason?

Didn't get a chance at the one for ASM, it was chocca! I am going to meet with her current head and perhaps I should arrange for a meeting with the ASM head...I have a few more open nights to do also...

The current reputation of ASM is good and improving, the new principal is an exceptional woman, the new staff are of very high quality and dedicated. The new build is very close, a lot closer than GCL, they'll be in barringtons for a good while yet.

I'd be a strong believer in sending your child to the local school, while you must have reasons for skipping ASM, are they your reasons or your daughters (no need to answer, I'm speaking in general tones). I personally don't see any logic in sending your daughter to Croom, Pallaskenry or Mungret, she'll be at the opposite side of the city to her new class mates and she'll lose contact with her current primary school friends. Most schools are the same, the ethos craic is over rated and a dressing. Choose a school based on principal, staff and how your child will fit in.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Last year Cresent College rejected 1 pupil, the year before 2. The numbers applying have dropped considerably, Mungret College may have been the reason?

I don't know where you got that information but it is completely wrong. In our school alone I know of at least a dozen children in my child's year who put crescent number one and didn't get it. They are oversubscribed and cannot give everyone their first choice. It's just supply and demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Sarah3

Living in Dooradoyle, my own suspicion is that Mungret Community College will be oversubscribed this year. I personally know of many parents who are planning to put it as their no. 1, even parents who currently have children in the Crescent and Salesians, Pallaskenry. These 2 schools will be the biggest losers arising out of this new school. The new Principal of Mungret is impressive and the feedback from this years 1st years taken in is very positive.
    For the record, Mungret's eligibility criteria for enrolment is as follows (taken from their website):
    1. Siblings of existing students
    2. Children as staff
    3. Children who give Mungret their no. 1 and are permanently residing in Dooradoyle, Mungret or Raheen
    4. Children who give Mungret their no. 1 and are attending primary schools in the locality - St. Pauls, St. Nessans, Mungret Educate together, Gaelscoil Raithin
    5. Children who give Mungret their no. 1
    6. Remaining applications

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dad123

I'd say that Colaiste Chiaráin in Croom will be most at risk. Over the years huge numbers of kids travelled from these areas to Croom. With Mungret and the new school in Castletroy opening next September now in play, the enrolment is sure to be significantly affected. I hear that even since this year, the numbers have collapsed in first year and indeed many up the school have transferred elsewhere. Parents vote with their feet I guess. I don't think Pallaskenry will be hit as much. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Croom has gone significantly downhill in recent years. New principal and very unhappy staff.
    On the other hand ASM is on the way up. The principal there is having a really positive affect since her arrival and has improved the school massively.
    I wouldn't judge the look of a school too harshly. Anyone who has been in the door of Crescent Comp knows that some areas are pretty run down and in need of upgrading but it's still a good school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭banjobongo

Crea wrote: »
    Croom has gone significantly downhill in recent years. New principal and very unhappy staff.
    On the other hand ASM is on the way up. The principal there is having a really positive affect since her arrival and has improved the school massively.
    I wouldn't judge the look of a school too harshly. Anyone who has been in the door of Crescent Comp knows that some areas are pretty run down and in need of upgrading but it's still a good school.

Incorrect. Acting Principal, not a new one, and I think he is doing very well...
    my kids are there and LOVE the school, could not be happier there, I know lots pf parents whose children are there and they feel the same, and there is a new school being build for next year. I know staff working there and they are happy enough....so I dont agree it has gone downhill at all!

I started this post a few yrs ago and I can say with 100% certainty that we are so happy we decided to send our children to the school in Croom!

Just a reminder that forms have to be submitted to your first choice school by 12:30pm on Monday 15th of January. This also applies to children who have right of entry. Some parents of children in my daughter's class didn't realise this!! Fingers crossed everyone gets their first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Does anyone know when offer letters are due to be posted by schools?

Jane98 wrote:
    Does anyone know when offer letters are due to be posted by schools?

30th of January, Tuesday week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Anyone get their letter yet?

- Oh just see they're only being posted today - Prob starting arriving in morning so I reckon?

Mango Joe wrote:
    - Oh just see they're only being posted today - Prob starting arriving in morning so I reckon?

Can you tell me where you saw the update?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Yes - Check post no. 81 - Think they work in this office ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Any one hear any feedback on the current year's results. I only heard of one child who didn't get what they Put first and that was to Ardscoil Ris.
    Anyone here anything about the new Educate together school in Castletroy?

Jane98 wrote: »
    Anyone here anything about the new Educate together school in Castletroy?

There was a meeting a few weeks back, apparently very few Qs were answered. The newly appointed principal seemed to have been dumped into an unorganised situation by the Educate together body.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Ard Scoil and Laurel Hill are elite schools have to be in the right crowd to get in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

bigpink wrote: »
    Ard Scoil and Laurel Hill are elite schools have to be in the right crowd to get in

Ard Scoil has an excellent reputation but if Ard Scoil take in 120 first years, by the time the sons of former students, siblings & others that have right of entry are accepted, at best there are probably 20 or so places available for those with no previous connection to the school or live outside the catchment area, plenty of sons of plumbers, electricians & fitters that I personally know off who go or have gone there, is that the 'right crowd' you refer to? I and many others went to Ard Scoil for no other reason than we lived close by, Ard Scoil is always over subscribed, you have only a slim chance of getting a child in there if depending on 'random selection'

Laurel Hill is slightly different, while also over subscribed every year, afaik it doesn't have a primary feeder school, after the right of entry girls have their places, in my opinion they do cherry pick, they take an interest in your daughter's primary acedemic record & they take an educated punt on whether you are good for the annual volentary contribution, our daughter attends & her primary school would regularly get practically 100% of girls that wish to attend LH in, every year, I can only suspect that the primary school has a very good relationship with LH FCJ & the Colaiste maybe better than other primary schools for whatever reason, my daughters former primary school would have a real mix of student family backgrounds, certainly not affluent.... I'm not sure your 'right crowd' argument stands up, not in my case anyway

They probably do have the reputation of the two best schools in Limerick & maybe they are, our son had right of entry to Ard Scoil & we did what we had to do to get our daughter into LH

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

They have lads from Clare Tipperary and all over County Limerick in for hurling and local lads can’t get into the school

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

bigpink wrote: »
    They have lads from Clare Tipperary and all over County Limerick in for hurling and local lads can’t get into the school

Well Ard Scoil clearly state in their admissions policy

"2. who is a permanent resident in the parish of the Holy Rosary as defined by parish boundaries, regardless of which primary school he attends"

If my son lived in the Holy Rosary parish & didn't get in & there were those like you have mentioned attending then I would definitely have a problem & would take it further, if living locally, say Caherdavin but outside the parish probably not much hope of appeal

The system is poor without a doubt, you just have to play it as best you can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Well Ard Scoil clearly state in their admissions policy

"2. who is a permanent resident in the parish of the Holy Rosary as defined by parish boundaries, regardless of which primary school he attends"

If my son lived in the Holy Rosary parish & didn't get in & there were those like you have mentioned attending then I would definitely have a problem & would take it further, if living locally, say Caherdavin but outside the parish probably not much hope of appeal

The system is poor without a doubt, you just have to play it as best you can

Agreed, Ard Scoil also does not have a feeder Primary School and they have a very specific and in fairness publically available admissions policy.(As does every Secondary school in the system)
    They catch an awful lot of stick for discriminatory selection, which is odd considering that Ard Scoil have never had an admissions decision overturned on appeal under the current process.

Back when I did my CAS the system was slighty different and the rumour back then was that ASR and Laurel Hill would skim the highest achievers from the common entrance exams.
    Now it has moved to that, along with sporting prowess.

I will nail my colours to the mast here, I am an Ard Scoil Ris past pupli.
    That said, I was from one of those undesirable areas where according to the usual gossip that hardly no students ever come from.
    I had no outstanding sporting attributes to bump me up the queue and when I was admitted, I had no right of entry.

The upshot of that is that my younger brothers then had right of entry, (as per the admissions policy).
    My youngest brother received and accepted an admissions offer from ASR, that was subsequently withdrawn as my mother did not return the acceptance form by the specified deadline.
    Harsh, but again in line with the stated policies and again laid out clearly in their admissions policy.

I would much prefer the clear and consistent application of the admission policy be carried out, and where the policy is not applied there is an accessible appeals process.

The schools carry a lot of flak for kids not getting their preferred choice.
    This really is more a fault of the current applications system than it is any school.
    Each school makes it very clear on their prospecrus and open nights what their admissions policy is and the importance of 1st choice.
    If a parent chooses to put a school at 1st choice when they dont have an automatic right of entry, it is a risk for any school application.

Advertisement