Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Common Application System (CAS) for entering secondary schools in Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dad123

Delphi91 wrote: »
    You'd think, wouldn't you!

Yet, it has been known for the above mentioned school to visit primary schools, even as far away as Meelick in an attempt to get students. And by any stretch of the imagination, I wouldn't consider Meelick to be in the Croom locality!

From my understanding, Colaiste Chiarain has a very open enrolment policy, unlike many others in the CAS. Except for pupils from the immediate primary school in the area, (very small) and of course brothers and sisters, all other students have equal chance. Contrast this with the likes of Ardscoil Ris who just won the Harty Cup. Most of the players are from way out in the country, inl adare, Patrickswell, Granagh etc. - hardly adjacent to ardscoil. And yet kids from JFK primary or just down the road within a 2 mile radius, have no right of entry!.

With regard to Croom "getting students" from the likes of Meelick. I understand that it only visits some of these schools is only on the invitation of the principals from these schools. Surely giving information, is a good thing! Parents need choice.

Not sure what u mean Emily......

Good students nearly all go to college and weak students dont!

about 70pc transfer to thrid level, but it can vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

dad123 wrote: »
    ..And yet kids from JFK primary or just down the road within a 2 mile radius, have no right of entry!.

I'm not too sure that many primary schools have right of entry status anymore (individual students may have right of entry due to brothers/sisters, etc). The situation is that most secondary schools would have "feeder" schools from which the vast majority of their students would come. However, that is not always the case, as you've mentioned above.

One should also ask "why" students from nearby local schools are not getting a place in certain secondary schools. Is it because they're not academic enough? (god forbid they might lower the schools academic record?). Is it because they're not sporting enough? Is it because they come from a primary school in a certain area?

Be under no illusions - the CAS is not perfect. It was created in an attempt to level the playing pitch, to stop (or at least reduce) the level of extreme selectivism that some schools operate. Unfortunately the selection process still goes on, not by directly refusing entry (this is not possible given Enrolement Policies), but by suggesting at open nights, during school visits, etc that a childs interests would not be best served by attending certain second level schools. It's termed "positive discrimination".
    ...Surely giving information, is a good thing! Parents need choice.

Absolutely, that's what open nights are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Far as I know no primary school has feeder entry into Ard Scoil and alot of the kids from out the country in Ard Scoil are often children of parents who went there too so that would be their right of entry school. Ard Scoil does give right of entry to kids living in the parish though and aside from this, both JKF and Caherdavin (nearest primaries) do have a very high percentage going to ASR. BTW the Harty Cup team had 6 players from Na Piarsaigh on the panel so thats fairly local. my nephew going to ASR next year - lives in Granagh but going there cos his dad went there.

Far as I know no primary school has feeder entry into Ard Scoil. Alot of the kids from out the country in Ard Scoil are often children of parents who went there too so that would be their right of entry school. Ard Scoil does give right of entry to kids living in the parish though and aside from this, both JKF and Caherdavin (nearest primaries) do have a very high percentage going to ASR. BTW the Harty Cup team had 6 players from Na Piarsaigh on the panel so thats fairly local. my nephew going to ASR next year - lives in Granagh but going there cos his dad went there.

This is exactly my point....

The parish of Holy Rosary is quite small and with few children of primary age. It is perfectly reasonable that a school directly across the road should have right of entry. Anything else, would be grossly unfair.

The idea of giving right of entry to children of past pupils is largely discredited and has been abandoned by most schools. I think the Crescent got rid of this a few years ago?? It reinforces a particular type of student and excludes those with a normal, geographical right to go to their nearest school. Why should it be necessary for many to travel either out to the country, like Croom or into the city, like ardscoil? Fine, if there are genuine places available, after looking after all the students of the city catchment. From what I know, Croom takes all comers from its official catchment first and only then open it to the others, which is fair. Also, as was pointed out by a previous parent, giving roe to children of past pupils is massively discriminatory to non nationals or newcomers.

I myself am a past pupil of ardscoil but chose to send my son to croom and i havnt regretted it one bit. Local kids to any school should always get first refusal. Anything else is just plain unjust, unfair, and a callous disregard for those who happen to live in the less prosperous areas that dont suit schools like Ardscoil.Lets not crib about Croom when some city schools have been, and continue to take huge numbers of kids from on its doorstep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

almost every city school I've visited for enrolment days in recent years have ROE to past pupils children - Crescent included. The problem with giving ROE from, example only, JFK to Ard Scoil is that some people have moved their kids in 5th class into JFK from all parts of the city thinking that they had ROE to Ard Scoil. One city school had recently a ROE to near relatives of a member of religious order which runs the school - "near relative" being a very loose term. Turns out the near relative was a grandniece of a nun ...... hardly a near relative and certainly not as close as a past pupils own child. Local kids to ASR do get first entry - parish rules. Contrast that with say Caherdavin parish which has a huge school going population and neither the boys nor girls school has a ROE to any secondary school. yes alot of these children get into Nessans or Salesians if thats where they want to go, its not cos of a right of entry though, it cos neither secondary school usually fills its quota of places. Meelick, Sixmilbridge, Cratloe, Adare, and many other areas are all at disadvantage as there are no secondary schools linked to them either.

I don't agree with the present CAS system and have major concerns about it and the effects and stress it places on young children who are already at vulerable stage in development but its here and doesn't appear to be going anywhere. Families moving into the area which have no ties to particular schools are definitely at a disadvantage but this happens all over the country in cities where places at preceived good schools are at a premium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 colchiarain

emily160 wrote: »
    what is the enrolment policy for this school in croom

Emily, the enrollment policy for Coláiste Chiaráin is:
    1. Brothers and Sisters
    2. Children of Staff
    3. Immediate Locality
    4. All Others
    Some information on our bus routes (these are revised annually):
    Bus Routes

The school website should give you an overview of what we are about:
    http://www.cco.ie

I kno this is an old thread but I am in now in the position as you all have been previously, my daughter is in sixth class and I am not 100% happy with sending her to our right of entry school....I am very interested in the ET school in Mungret and will be attending open night etc...I am just wondering what my chances are in reality of getting her a place as this is such a new school and the fact that is an educate together school I am worried we might stand no chance of entry and she would end up floating and perhaps end up having to take our 8th or 9th option....any advice would be greatly appreciated! TIA.

Mungret is NOT an Educate Together School, its under the LCETB. The new school in Castletroy will be an Educate Together School however but you should have no problem with either, once you put them as number one. What part of Limerick are u from and what is your local secondary? Are you not satisfied?

="Ammers;104765690"]I kno this is an old thread but I am in now in the position as you all have been previously, my daughter is in sixth class and I am not 100% happy with sending her to our right of entry school....I am very interested in the ET school in Mungret and will be attending open night etc...I am just wondering what my chances are in reality of getting her a place as this is such a new school and the fact that is an educate together school I am worried we might stand no chance of entry and she would end up floating and perhaps end up having to take our 8th or 9th option....any advice would be greatly appreciated! TIA.[/quote]

We live in the Corbally area, ASM would be her right of entry school, however i have my doubts about its suitability for MY daughter, not the school itself....I am attending the open night for Mungret so maybe I'll know better after that, especially if parents show up in huge numbers, they are taking in 96 pupils with preference to students attending school in dooradoyle, raheen and mungret....

• Advertisement

I think you will have no issue getting into Mungret this year. Dont be out off by those numbers. The actual numbers are likely to be increased, despite what is said. Also, you could consider either Salesian College in Pallaskenry which is a wonderful school or Coláiste Chiaráin in Croom. These have the distinct advantages of an education outside of the city and an excellent bus service Unfortunately the reputation of Coláiste Chiaráin has suffered a lot in recent years for a lot of reasons, so I would highly recommend Pallaskenry in your case.

We live in the Corbally area, ASM would be her right of entry school, however i have my doubts about its suitability for MY daughter, not the school itself....I am attending the open night for Mungret so maybe I'll know better after that, especially if parents show up in huge numbers, they are taking in 96 pupils with preference to students attending school in dooradoyle, raheen and mungret....

Thank you for your imput Dad123, I really want a mixed school for her and outside the city is my preference, I never even considered Pallaskenry....I missed their open night alas....I hope I will know more after Mungret open night, its such a scary prospect, the being left 'floating' if she doesn't get her No 1 choice!

There are hardly any kids left "floating" despite the rumours. And there will be an additional school in Castletroy this year which will make it even easier. My advice to you is to put Mungret first if u wish, and Pallaskenry number 2 or visa versa. U will be be fine at that. I have experience of Pallaskenry for my daughter and she has been so happy and challenged academically. We have never looked back.

]Thank you for your imput Dad123, I really want a mixed school for her and outside the city is my preference, I never even considered Pallaskenry....I missed their open night alas....I hope I will know more after Mungret open night, its such a scary prospect, the being left 'floating' if she doesn't get her No 1 choice![/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

My daughter is also in 6th class and has no direct entry to any school. I met with the principal of Mungret College last week and I have to say he was a very pleasant and straight talking man. Very honest and not pretending to be anything that they are not. He showed us around the school and answered any questions that we had. I would highly recommend giving the school a call and organising to meet with him. He will answer any questions that he can. We went to Pallaskenry Open night and it was very informative. The principle will also meet prospective parents so give them a call too!!

thank you, it's such a worrying time, I was very unhappy in secondary school, and it was more or less 'shut up and put up' back then, I really want to get it right for my daughter as it will be six years of her life.....I have my mind set on Mungret but I'll keep my options open until I have been to the open night....

ellieh1 wrote: »
    My daughter is also in 6th class and has no direct entry to any school. I met with the principal of Mungret College last week and I have to say he was a very pleasant and straight talking man. Very honest and not pretending to be anything that they are not. He showed us around the school and answered any questions that we had. I would highly recommend giving the school a call and organising to meet with him. He will answer any questions that he can. We went to Pallaskenry Open night and it was very informative. The principle will also meet prospective parents so give them a call too!!

Hi Ellieh1, thanks for your reply, did he sound hopeful that they might be able to take your child or do you have to take a chance? I will definitely either speak to him at the open night or if I don't get a chance I will organise a meet up...

They can't say that they can offer your child a place when your child doesn't have any direct entry but we have our fingers crossed that we would be ok.

Are you still going to put them as your No 1 choice Ellieh1? It's hard to know with a new school whether or not it will be over subscribed in its second year....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Have you considered the Gaelcholaiste? It is an all Irish school but is mixed and has a great principal. They will have a new school opening where the old Dawn Dairies is on Clare Street next year I think so she would be in the new purpose built complex. A lot of kids who didn't go to all Irish schools go there and are up to the same standard as the kids who did by Christmas of first year.

she wouldn't even consider with bribery! alas....

• Advertisement

We don't think it will be our first choice as there isn't a bus service to our side of the city and we are both working full time. We are disappointed as the school and ethos really impressed us.

U mean the Mungret School?

Or which?
    We don't think it will be our first choice as there isn't a bus service to our side of the city and we are both working full time. We are disappointed as the school and ethos really impressed us.

Mungret College

Well I think there is a direct bus to Coláiste Chiaráin from Grove Island and apart from that, what about Laurel Hill? Go and meet Mr Cregan. He is very approachable.

ieh1;104785369"]Mungret College[/quote]

I also think u can get direct service to Salesian College Pallaskenry from the city centre. Wherever she goes it will probably involve some bus, unless you end up sending to ASM. Look at every option. You might find there are bus services your not aware of which will solve your problem..
    Mungret College

We are looking at Crescent Comprehensive and Pallaskenry as both are manageable for us as we are nearer that side of the city. We are not near Grove Island so ASM is not an option for us.

That's a good choice.... Although it could be dangerous putting Crescent number one, unless you were pretty sure of your place. I'd aim for Pallaskenry.... You would have no problem getting in, once its number one.
    I have nothing but good to say about it. Good luck!
    We are looking at Crescent Comprehensive and Pallaskenry as both are manageable for us as we are nearer that side of the city.

Yes Cresent usually only have one or two places if ANY once they have taken local school kids/siblings etc into account...VERY difficult to get into...

I am going to the open night for Mungret College its a shame they don't have a bus service...children in this city are so badly catered for school wise...its disgraceful really...

Really we need a new mixed SC in the Corbally area with the size of the population now but chance would be fine thing!

I am also going to the new Castletroy ET open night....doubt we'd have a hope in hell of getting in there either but no harm in looking...its such a stressful time, I'm awake at night dreading filling out the CAS form...:(

Remember though that Crescent has Mungret now on its doorstep so it might not be as difficult as previous years, coupled with the new school in Castletroy, anything is possible! Two news large schools competing in the same pool. Has to have an effect!

squote="[Deleted User];104791757"]Yes Cresent usually only have one or two places if ANY once they have taken local school kids/siblings etc into account...VERY difficult to get into...

I am going to the open night for Mungret College its a shame they don't have a bus service...children in this city are so badly catered for school wise...its disgraceful really...

Really we need a new mixed SC in the Corbally area with the size of the population now but chance would be fine thing!

I am also going to the new Castletroy ET open night....doubt we'd have a hope in hell of getting in there either but no harm in looking...its such a stressful time, I'm awake at night dreading filling out the CAS form...:([/quote]

• Advertisement

Yes I guess time will tell....I would love to be able to send my daughter to a school I feel that is suited to her, her needs, somewhere where I feel she would fit best....this system is just so awful...and despite two new schools we could still do with probably four more!

Advertisement