Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What about them Bronco's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

No doubt the Broncos are much improved especially defensively this year. That said at the moment they are getting every bit of luck that is going and the ball is bouncing their way. Now I know they say you make your own luck and the Broncos are hanging in there in games so you have to give them credit for that. At some stage though the ball will begin bouncing for the opposition so it will be interesting to see how they handle that but certainly they've put themselves in a great position for a run at the playoffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

In fairness I don't think I've seen a 5-0 team ever have so many doubters.

They have done enough to be taken seriously IMO. Even the result against Cincinnatti, albeit lucky, turned out to be against a pretty decent team. I wouldn't like to be San Diego next week, and i won't look forward to meeting them later in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

davyjose wrote: »
    In fairness I don't think I've seen a 5-0 team ever have so many doubters.

Indeed, no one seems to be doubting the Giants & look who've they've beat. The awful Raiders, awful Chiefs, awful Bucs, bad Redskins & mediocre Cowboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,866 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

UhOh wrote: »
    Indeed, no one seems to be doubting the Giants & look who've they've beat. The awful Raiders, awful Chiefs, awful Bucs, bad Redskins & mediocre Cowboys.
    There is a huge difference in the way the Giants have taken care of business and the way the Broncos have.

The Broncos had a pass off target that deflected into the arms of Stokley who went to the house at the very end of the game to secure a rather undeserving win over the Bengals I think it was.
    They beat New England in OT and without getting into it much, Stephen Gostkowski missed a field goal. Otherwise it would have never went to overtime.
    Their D is very good but their offense has spluttered in a couple of games. When you just stutter over the line in a couple of games its gonna take a while for people to accept that you are the real deal.

The Giants have been blowing teams away. Ok they weren't great teams but its been completely one way traffic.

Things should be clearer after next week.

Broncos face a very good offense in the Chargers.
    Giants go to New Orleans.
    And the Viks host the Ravens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

eagle eye wrote: »

The Giants have been blowing teams away. Ok they weren't great teams but its been completely one way traffic.

Not against the very average 'skins, or the very average 'boys!

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    Not against the very average 'skins, or the very average 'boys!
    I seen both those games. They gave up a very late touchdown to the Redskins which made the game look a lot closer than it actually was. It was actually a good drive from Washington who were in the hurry up offense. I personally think they should use it all game every game. Campbell looked a lot better in no huddle downs.
    The Dallas game was against a full Cowboys outfit in their new stadium for the first time in a regular season game. Jones and Barber both had good games.
    I don't agree that Dallas are just mediocre but I do think that without Felix Jones they are not as good. They have struggled since he got injured. They started 2-1 with the loss to New York sandwiched in between wins away at Tampa and an easy win over Carolina.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭The Munky

eagle eye wrote: »

Things should be clearer after next week.

You said that last week....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Despite the record, the Broncos aren't the team the Giants and Vikings are, talent-wise. That's pretty obvious.

Everyone's waiting for the Broncos to lose, and they will... it doesn't mean they're not a good team, or that they've finally been "found out". But come on.

Eli - Favre - Orton
    Jacobs/Bradshaw - Adrian Peterson - Correll Buckhalter/Knowshon Moreno

And on top of those skill positions, the Vikings have been knocking on the door for a few years and the Giants have been there. Experience goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

The Broncos have surprised everyone this season (so far), including themselves I'd imagine. Their D is 'awesome' (gotta use Americanism here), and the offence is getting the job done. Afterall teams that get the 'job done' win the SB. Alot of teams were performing very well last year, like the Giants, but did they win the SB ? No. Will we continue this form ? and keep playing to this high standard ? thats where individual/team performances, team management, injuries, oh and a little bit of lady luck......kick in !

does anyone know of any sites streaming the match live for free?

• Advertisement

atdhe.net nearly always has good links.

Cheers dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Dudes as I said in week 6 thread stop bloody naming the sites :D They will get found out and shut down and then where do we go? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hmm, maybe the Broncos are legit after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

bye bye norv turner. Can't believe he mnaaged to keep his job for so long despite being so useless.

Yes, coaches make a big difference don't they ? If you look at Alex Fergusson for ManUtd, Declan Kidney for the Rugby team, Jack Charlton for the soccer team, they somehow manage to bring in new systems, new ideas, a new mentality of 'winning'. McD has been a revelation. They somehow get the most out of the team. I was sad to see Shanahan go, but in the end it was the right move, maybe Norv needs to go aswell !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Yes, coaches make a big difference don't they ? If you look at Alex Fergusson for ManUtd, Declan Kidney for the Rugby team, Jack Charlton for the soccer team, they somehow manage to bring in new systems, new ideas, a new mentality of 'winning'. McD has been a revelation. They somehow get the most out of the team. I was sad to see Shanahan go, but in the end it was the right move, maybe Norv needs to go aswell !

A lot of credit has to go to Mike Nolan as Defensive Co-ordinator. That D is amazing compared to last year. The offensive line is also much improved, I think someone mentioned earlier in the posts the amount of time Orton got in the pocket, the line has only 9 sacks i think and Orton has no interceptions of note this year because of that time. And Pats fans I remember the hail mary at the end of the half!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

broncos are killing me this year. have to repsect the turn around. still don't think they are elite but they will make the playoffs where anything can happen

Denver Broncos 6 - 0
    San Diego Chargers 2 -3
    Oakland Raiders 2-4
    Kansas City Chiefs

Denver could be in the playoffs with four games to go at this rate.

You have to put it down to coaching though. What odds would you have gotten for the Broncs to be 6-0, past the Pats and the Chargers at this stage in the season? McDaniels isn't, as has been discussed to death on this forum, coaching with the best guys in the league here. He (and Nolan) are fashioning something very good out of something promising but average at best.

Remember everyone thought he was a bust before he started? Traded Cutler, and Marshall started throwing a knicker fit? Shows that, for all the attention you heap on the shoulders of star players, the NFL is essentially a game of chess played by head coaches and co-ordinators. A good chess player will beat a bad one even if the pieces aren't as good.

Like, Kyle Orton. And Elvis Dumervil. Who the hell is Elvis Dumervil, and he's on course to break Strahan's sack record by four full sacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Karlusss wrote: »
    Denver Broncos 6 - 0
    San Diego Chargers 2 -3
    Oakland Raiders 2-4
    Kansas City Chiefs

Denver could be in the playoffs with four games to go at this rate.

You have to put it down to coaching though. What odds would you have gotten for the Broncs to be 6-0, past the Pats and the Chargers at this stage in the season? McDaniels isn't, as has been discussed to death on this forum, coaching with the best guys in the league here. He (and Nolan) are fashioning something very good out of something promising but average at best.

Remember everyone thought he was a bust before he started? Traded Cutler, and Marshall started throwing a knicker fit? Shows that, for all the attention you heap on the shoulders of star players, the NFL is essentially a game of chess played by head coaches and co-ordinators. A good chess player will beat a bad one even if the pieces aren't as good.

Like, Kyle Orton. And Elvis Dumervil. Who the hell is Elvis Dumervil, and he's on course to break Strahan's sack record by four full sacks.

Really enjoyed watching the Broncos last night, their Defence in the 2nd half was excellent, as it has been all season. They just looked fitter and hungrier than the Chargers and were full of effort all game. As John Gruden said on commentary it takes no skill to give maximum effort every play. Their O-line was very impressive too.. I reckon Kyle Orton would still be standing in the pocket now if he needed to be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Yep looks like they are for real alright. McD and Nolan have made a huge difference no doubt about it. Having said that without all the returns for TDs the half time score would have been 13-3 Chargers. Chargers owned the first half. The HT adjustments Nolan is making are extraordinary. Their 2nd half D is fantastic as is their O line. If there is someone better than Clady I have yet to see him, what a pick he was.

Chargers will win their next 2 however and be 4 and 3. Broncos could (in theory) lose their next 2 tough games. Realistically the Chargers are aiming for a wildcard now if they can get their act together. If they miss out on the playoffs no way Norv can keep his job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Si Conando

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Yep looks like they are for real alright. McD and Nolan have made a huge difference no doubt about it. Having said that without all the returns for TDs the half time score would have been 13-3 Chargers. Chargers owned the first half. The HT adjustments Nolan is making are extraordinary. Their 2nd half D is fantastic as is their O line. If there is someone better than Clady I have yet to see him, what a pick he was.

Chargers will win their next 2 however and be 4 and 3. Broncos could (in theory) lose their next 2 tough games. Realistically the Chargers are aiming for a wildcard now if they can get their act together. If they miss out on the playoffs no way Norv can keep his job.

While the chargers bossed the first half, there were still major problems with pass rush and the red zone offence, both of which have been brutal all year. I wouldnt be positive about winning next week either. The quicker we get Hardwick back the better, but even with him the line was poor. Chargers probably need to go at least 8-3, along with beating denver in denver, to have any shot at winning the division. That doesnt look likely at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

ah, the bad ol days when the Broncos were in the same league as the Vikings & Bills :D

Karlusss wrote: »

And Elvis Dumervil. Who the hell is Elvis Dumervil

he played pretty well at DE the last 2 seasons, under sized for a DE but freakishly long arms apparently, anyway he's playing sensational stuff, 10 sacks through 6 games. The whole team is playing excellent football. Props to Mike Nolan for organising that defence. My only worry is that secondary is knocking on a bit. We'll be doing well if they can all last the entire season.

Hi guys,

Big weekend of action this week and undoubtedly the best of the bunch is at Lambeau Field, followed by the Eagles and the Giants but what do you think is going to happen to the 6-0 Broncos travelling to Baltimore?

Will Elvis be back in the building? Can he handle Ray Rice? Will the forthcoming blitz's be enough to confuse Kyle Orton into making poor throws and in turn putting added pressure on the young running backs of the Broncos?

I think this will be the first 'L' in the wrong column for Denver but who knows right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

If Baltimore shut down the run I think they win.

jdivision wrote: »
    If Baltimore shut down the run I think they win.

I guess you were right, The Broncos entered the Red Zone once in the game, their top RB had 10 carry's for 39yards. Their WO may as well have stayed in Denver.
    I watched some of the game last night and tbh the Broncos offense looked intimidated by the Ravens D and their collectiveness that got them to 6-0 was lost.

Well if ever a loss could be a good thing I honestly think that this could help the Broncos. Its taken a lot of pressure of the team, finally there is an 'L' in the right column, they have lost so peoples attentions (which lets be honest, were completely focused on waiting to see them crumble) will now shift elsewhere and Denver will slip a little under the radar which got them to 4-0 before anyone started taking them seriously.

And lets not forget, they were beaten by a good team that got to the playoffs last year.

C'mon Joshy baby - give Orton some protection and let him unless the beast wearing #15 at WO and pay the man!!!!!

Now - despite all everything I have written above - they will be 6-2 in 8 days time cos lets not forget that the SB43 champs are in town next week.

My dream scenario would be for them to finish up 7-9 and have a bad start next year too. And for Josh to tuck and run for the hills as all the media say he is too young to be a head coach. And just when all looks lost Bill Belichick steps up and offers him his old job back in New England. Get another few years experience and lead our O back to where it was in 2007, even though we haven't done badly in our last two games. :)

My dream scenario would be for them to finish up 7-9 and have a bad start next year too
    Ha ha, thats harsh.......I wouldn't wish that on any team ! But I will 'Ctrl_C, Ctrl_V' the above quote and remind you of it later in the season :p

I followed the game last nite on the NFL tracker, and Orton (& the offense) were pathetic. All nite long it was (on 3rd down) : "Orton incomplete pass to....'who-ever' " Our D held up well in the 1st half but the Ravens really got a run on them in the 2nd half.

Did the bye-week ruin their concetration ? their momentum ?
    Did the bye-week really benefit the Ravens more ?
    Will we learn from this ? hopefully !
    Will we bounce back ? against the SB champs ? at home on MNF ? :eek:
    /hope so !! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Facts:

- They have played the easiest section of their schedule;
    - Their first three opponents currently rank 19, 26, 32 on offense; 20, 21 and 32 on defense. Dallas currently have the 27th ranked defense;
    - The rest of their schedule is brutal;
    - Two of their four wins came in games decided by less than a score, where it would be reasonable to conclude that Denver would expect to win the game less than 5 out of 10 times;
    - Before this season began, Orton had a career passer rating of ~70.0 (over 33 games); he is operating at 97.7 thus far this season - therefore it is reasonable to assume that his performance will dip as the season goes on;

Conclusion:

This team is running way above expectation, and should come crashing down to earth as the season progresses.

BUMP

Advertisement