Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Accent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mutleydub

what is it with the current trend to sound as the moore street market fish sellers! I'm one of their sons and I,d never want to speak like that now!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,099 ✭✭✭✭walshb

mutleydub wrote: »
    what is it with the current trend to sound as the moore street market fish sellers! I'm one of their sons and I,d never want to speak like that now!

I'm a Dub too and cannot understand that skanger accent and how people cannot hear it from their mouths and cannot cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

walshb wrote: »
    Anyone see the Apprentice last night. The girl from Finglas got booted off. Her accent and pronunciation of words was pretty bad to listen to and not once did she even try to change.

Was she from Finglas? I thought it was Swords.

Choice quote: "Peepil prolly luk ah me an' tink I'm a dumb blontt - I'm noh"

The most annoying accent in the country, coupled with the mid-Connacht accent Big Mick from Hardy Bucks has when he's calling Lexus. Terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

An accent is an accent and I don't have any issue with that, but the basic and simple pronunciation/mispronunciation of words and phrases sort of irks me. It's so lazy and ignorant, and I suppose it's enshrined in people and they don't really give a toss and don't want to improve or change. Some examples are: atter for after, as in, "I'm atter goin' there," or, "Did you get that ott (off) him." Dubs do have a tendency to mispronounce more than other accents. I wouldn't be pedantic on the issue, because some words are a little too awkward to pronounce completely all the time, so we sort of shorten them to a degree.

I echo these sentiments.

upmeath wrote: »
    Was she from Finglas? I thought it was Swords.

Choice quote: "Peepil prolly luk ah me an' tink I'm a dumb blontt - I'm noh"

The most annoying accent in the country, coupled with the mid-Connacht accent Big Mick from Hardy Bucks has when he's calling Lexus. Terrible.

Now you are getting exactly what I am saying. This was noted from last night too. It bugs me, and I don't mean to sound uppity, but basic speech shouldn't always be dumbed down so much.

I am almost certain she is from Finglas. Either way, a Dub, and discernibly so.

• Advertisement

iT,S THE REGRESSION OF THE VENACULAR. mAYBE I<M BEEN AN AULT C..T BUT DIDN,T WE PROJECT OURSELVES AS BEING A PROGRESSIVE COUNTRY? mAYBE THE TIGER WAS A CURSE?

mutleydub wrote: »
    iT,S THE REGRESSION OF THE VENACULAR. mAYBE I<M BEEN AN AULT C..T BUT DIDN,T WE PROJECT OURSELVES AS BEING A PROGRESSIVE COUNTRY? mAYBE THE TIGER WAS A CURSE?
    Hmm, me thinks accent isn't the issue with this post!:p

SLAP!! Sincere apologies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

Hmm, me thinks accent isn't the issue with this post!:p

Haha. Progressed right on to an odd variation of upper and lower case. Maybe there was a child tiptapping the Caps Lock key whilst he was typing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭briany

Was that girl who did the "Instant cleanliness in a packet!" from Ireland or America? Because if it was the former then it is a sad sad evolution in the D4 accent. Or maybe it's quite common. I don't move in such circles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

boys ande the tfashion parade

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

So, we've got 4 types of Dublin accent:

The junkie, "yakker" (as Adrian Kennedy dubbed it) accent
    The brash, traditional Dublin accent that doesnt sound like your down to using your eyeballs for a good vein
    The "middle-class", regular Dublin accent that lacks the charm of the above but would be common in suburbia on the north/west/southwest side and in the surrounding counties somewhat
    The Southside "oh roysh indeed" accent

In order:

#1 - I'm not allowed condone violence here so that's the end of that one
    #2 - It's cute like aul Mr Brennan but nobody from outside the pale will be able to understand ye
    #3 - Got feck all character and less tradition, it's plain, but at least we can tell a bit more accurately what the fook you're trying to say if we happen to be culchies or tourists
    #4 - See #1

*gasp*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭ooter

she's not on tv a hell of a lot but louise morrissey is one of the most beautiful girls on irish tv and she doesn't try to hide her dublin accent 1 bit,which i think is very refreshing.
    if she did try to hide it and went for the more popular lorraine keane type "raundabaush" accent she'd probably get more tv work but she doesn't and i say fair play to her...
    http://dynimg.rte.ie/0000d80a096.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

sdonn wrote: »
    So, we've got 4 types of Dublin accent:

The junkie, "yakker" (as Adrian Kennedy dubbed it) accent
    The brash, traditional Dublin accent that doesnt sound like your down to using your eyeballs for a good vein
    The "middle-class", regular Dublin accent that lacks the charm of the above but would be common in suburbia on the north/west/southwest side and in the surrounding counties somewhat
    The Southside "oh roysh indeed" accent

In order:

#1 - I'm not allowed condone violence here so that's the end of that one
    #2 - It's cute like aul Mr Brennan but nobody from outside the pale will be able to understand ye
    #3 - Got feck all character and less tradition, it's plain, but at least we can tell a bit more accurately what the fook you're trying to say if we happen to be culchies or tourists
    #4 - See #1

*gasp*

You probably hadn't intended on this turning into poll, but I like a nice mixture of 2 and 3. I don't know what it is, never used to think it but I'm increasingly finding the Dublin accent very sexy (excluding tracksuit wearing skangers and yahhhh totally chino wearing Southsiders).

Perhaps its because I've been living away from Ireland for 3 years but as long as the person can string a sentence together and pronounce words correctly, its all good :)

*edit* Just realised it is a poll thread - d'oh! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

ooter wrote: »
    she's not on tv a hell of a lot but louise morrissey is one of the most beautiful girls on irish tv and she doesn't try to hide her dublin accent 1 bit,which i think is very refreshing.
    if she did try to hide it and went for the more popular lorraine keane type "raundabaush" accent she'd probably get more tv work but she doesn't and i say fair play to her...
    http://dynimg.rte.ie/0000d80a096.jpg

She's a stunning looking girl but her accent is awful! My Dad is from the inner city and has a proper Dublin accent but hers is boardering on the skanger/junkie accent. Its kinda whiney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Mac daddy wrote: »
    it depends really if it's this type of one

"waaaaats tha storeeeeeeeee" or "Give us your mobile or I'll ****in knife ya ya ****in mupa!"

No thanks :)

Or the D4/Trinity one! :rolleyes: Ugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ItsAnOmen

I will make it an even 300, I love Dublin and the people are sound enough but the skanger accent is a pet peeve, especially since I have to take the dart to work every morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

ItsAnOmen wrote: »
    the skanger accent is a pet peeve, especially since I have to take the dart to work every morning.

The southside dart is nicer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Its strange

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

well, there's o many Dublin accents you'd kinda have to describe which one you refer to.

personally, I can't stand the way the news-anchors say "Gordee":eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Which part of Dublin?

Dublin accents range from having no accent at all to sounding like you grew up in the circus.
    quote of the thread....it can be shut now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

So many variations of the Dublin accent it's unreal . I was out watching the match last night and got talking to a man who's being living in UK 40 years . He Told me he was from Bray .

' Bray ' I said ? that's co Wicklow ? So how come you talk with an inner city Dublin accent ?

He laughed and so did I :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 loves

Hi guys,

could anybody post here a video with the D4-accent? I just wonder, if dublin accents in general are considered to be ununderstandable or weird. Maybe it was a wrong way of mine, but all videos on youtube, where you can here people from Dublin, make me to think, that dublin accents are the most understandable in the whole world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

I'm from Kerry so this is just an opinion and not an informed one. D4 is a bit like The Vatican in Rome, it's not a true reflection of the city. Most of the people are stuck up and think they're totes posh when they're not. Their Dad probably works for KPMG :rolleyes: . Have a chat with someone from Ballyfermot or somewhere like that, that's the real Dublin. Working class, decent folks who wouldn't see you stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 loves

so, does it mean, most people in Dublin don't have that real Dublin accent nowdays?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭justincasey

The dub slang changes all the time i cant keep up ! I work with a lad from Crumlin. The lad just talks in rhyming slang. Him:

"Alright pal whats the johnny ma gorry yaysus look at the Brad pitts on ur one

say shes game ball wha, right ive to shoot the crow see ya later"

ME: What :confused:

dobman88 wrote: »
    I'm from Kerry so this is just an opinion and not an informed one. D4 is a bit like The Vatican in Rome, it's not a true reflection of the city. Most of the people are stuck up and think they're totes posh when they're not. Their Dad probably works for KPMG :rolleyes: . Have a chat with someone from Ballyfermot or somewhere like that, that's the real Dublin. Working class, decent folks who wouldn't see you stuck.

Snobbery slammed into reverse there, but still snobbery.

Middle class people are real people too, and just as decent as any other demographic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

dobman88 wrote: »
    I'm from Kerry....

I'm afraid you are not allowed to have an opinion on what is a nice accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

Em.... Have you ever been to England!? The ammount of times I had to listen to people not pronoucing the letter "h" in England is unreal! e.g. orrible, ospital so on and so forth... :rolleyes:

dont forget they also leave out the "o" in to

"i'm going t ospital to ave my ernia looked at"

in cambridge they say "i brought a few cans in t shop" instead of saying "i bought some cans in the shop"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

A good Dublin accent is bleedin' rapih roi'!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement