Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Accent

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Surely this should be in the Dublin forum? :P

I like the Dublin accent - thick Dublin accents on guys can be weirdly sexy.
    The posh accent is quite nice too - Well spoken ones, not American wannabes.

Thick Dublin accents are sooo not sexy!! Possibly the biggest turn of ever!!

Listening to Dublin accents on telly is just embarrassing!! I always cringe!! My friends from up north find it very amusing though. They dont get any kicks outta me, apparently i have a very neutral accent :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Thick Dublin accents are sooo not sexy!! Possibly the biggest turn of ever!!

Ah, I know a few guys with them and it adds to their appeal! ;)
    apparently i have a very neutral accent :)

I've been told that too. Although, in college, I'm "the posh one". I always get slagged by the guys from Tallaght in my class for being a "D4".
    Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I've been told that too. Although, in college, I'm "the posh one". I always get slagged by the guys from Tallaght in my class for being a "D4".
    Idiots.
    Oh go cry to doddy. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Oh go cry to doddy. ;)

I would, but there's loyke, no petrol left in my Merc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I would, but there's loyke, no petrol left in my Merc.
    Use the daysel Land Rover you surely have in Cork so ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

without saying i like the accent or not...my view is that it evolved out of laziness. Some words in English require just a little effort to say...like most "ing" words...but a Dublin accent would cut off the "g" bit in favour of "runnin" of "bleedin".
    So basically people with a dublin accent could be decended from lazy people...maybe thats why so many live in Council Houses...they dont like to work....or in themselves are just lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭jaffa20

The South Dublin accent is fine as long as it isn't very posh.

The D4 accent is terrible, wanabe americans :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Voltex wrote: »
    without saying i like the accent or not...my view is that it evolved out of laziness. Some words in English require just a little effort to say...like most "ing" words...but a Dublin accent would cut off the "g" bit in favour of "runnin" of "bleedin".
    So basically people with a dublin accent could be decended from lazy people...maybe thats why so many live in Council Houses...they dont like to work....or in themselves are just lazy.

The "G" is silent in "ing". i'd love to hear how you say it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

The two extremes annoy me slightly i.e the stupidly posh one and the scumbag one but generally people can't help it. I'd be more worried about how the act than how they sound at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

jaffa20 wrote: »
    The South Dublin accent is fine as long as it isn't very posh.

The D4 accent is terrible, wanabe americans :(

Agreed. Blocking out the piercing D4 accent on any bus to UCD is a very important function of any MP3 player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭ronano

just another thread for those outside dublin to bash dublin and in 5mins sure the dubliners will be doing it to the rest of ireland.

I'm baffled how we ever became a nation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Em.... Have you ever been to England!? The ammount of times I had to listen to people not pronoucing the letter "h" in England is unreal! e.g. orrible, ospital so on and so forth... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Speaking as a common northsider dub. I have to say its the best accent in the world. afterall the northsiders are the blacks of dublin and dublin of course is the blacks of ireland!

not anymore my friend!:P that's pre celtic tiger talk there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Proto

Stereotypes? In AH? NO! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Speaking as a common northsider dub. I have to say its the best accent in the world. afterall the northsiders are the blacks of dublin and dublin of course is the blacks of ireland!

The cheasey line in any movie/book ever said its awfull....

No dublin accents are horrible the women sound blokish and sorta butch and most men sound like dey bleeeedin love sa sound of the der own voice......

much prefer country girls accents for nicer... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Why is it that every day there is a thread started about People from Dublin .

Dublin is full of Knackers
    Dublin is ****e
    Dublin accents are ****e

I read nothing but insult about the capital . Mods should look into this as its gone past a joke:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Cute like aul Mr Brennan?

He has a horrible accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

brummytom wrote: »
    Love a big t'ick Dub accent.

I remember mom asking the taxi driver if there were any shops near;
    "Sure d'eres abewt a hundert dewn dere"

Or my moms cousin during the summer
    "TOM! D'ya tink way've got Dubberlin accents?!"

Lovely

I bet a pound to a pinch of sh*t you were expecting a ton of 'thanks' for that one eh!.. :D

Personally I'm told I speak like Steve Collins (the boxer chap from Cabra).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

BVB wrote: »
    Why is it that every day there is a thread started about People from Dublin .

Dublin is full of Knackers
    Dublin is ****e
    Dublin accents are ****e

I read nothing but insult about the capital . Mods should look into this as its gone past a joke:mad:

They should post them in the Dublin forum for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

I like stuff

NINJA EDIT: 1,000 posts, aye carumba!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Agreeing with a few ppl here about the two extremes being off-putting when you hear them. Yet i was raised in dub 8, south inner city and had a proper skanger accent during my teens, these days i get asked if i really am a dub since its not a strong accent i have these days. Not everyone in a crappy area like where i come from will speak like a skanger, or act like one...

I bet a pound to a pinch of sh*t you were expecting a ton of 'thanks' for that one eh!.. :D

Personally I'm told I speak like Steve Collins (the boxer chap from Cabra).

...steve collins....jaysus i thought you said itinerant...haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭f3qh5g0z6vc7ob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Your not funny, and the Naas accent is unbelievably annoying.

I like the Dublin accent and I'm not from Dublin, the only accent I don't like is the Cork one. Ya can't bate a good Laois accent on a girl though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Was that Cavan they drivin' out of?

I'd bet you wouldn't say that to his face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

Totally forgot Dublin only has one accent.

/sarcasm

Totally forgot Dublin only has one accent.

/sarcasm

Yes. We gathered.

/sarcasm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Aural sodomy.

PM sent...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement