Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greens - Vaccinate Badgers NOT Children.

Options
  • 03-10-2009 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

In the Green Party's latest stupidity showcase it has been revealed via a leaked document that months after our greedy, self-serving, corrupt and ineffectual Government reneged on its plans to vaccinate our children against cervical cancer - The Green Party are lobbying them to vaccinate our Badger population.

- It is not clear at this point whether the Badger vaccination will include provision to prevent cervical cancer in Badgers, or whether terminal cancer patients will have chaperoned hospital visits by healthy Badgers in order to brighten up their day, which might help, seeing as with the Green Party's explicit approval said hospital is now 400 Kilometres from their Home.

How much longer do we have to stand by and watch these absolute fools posture, pose and wring their soft little work-shy hands over the nonsensical inanities they care so deeply and stupidly about?

Could someone please venture a ballpark figure on what it has cost the Taxpayer to have these complete Cretins in 'Power' [using the term lightly]

- I mean if you added up every wage, expense, driver with a bike in the boot for photo opportunities etc. and balanced it against what the Greens have done for any Man, Woman, Child, Animal or fcuking fern in this Country I think it would be stark and clear just exactly the enormous extent that these Morons are where they are today by a horrible, terrible and wholly unfortunate mistake that now needs to be corrected.

At this point their conduct is offensive.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

"A senior party source admitted the leaked material, which included badger vaccination and restrictions on the use of animals by visiting circuses, could be damaging to the party image."

Why would we need visiting circus animals when we could just watch the Greens jump through hoops?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Philistine

Its the Green Party that needs to be vaccinated...or should that be neutered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Philistine wrote: »
    Its the Green Party that needs to be vaccinated...or should that be neutered?

They are neutered! have you ever seen them show some balls? after the next election, eradicated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

spadder wrote: »
    They are neutered! have you ever seen them show some balls? after the next election, eradicated

After the Election? Will it really take that long? By then we'll all be paying 62% tax so that they can afford to fund their "Violins for Badgers" programme....

Under the Greens watchful eye there's only one way you can get a potentially life-saving vaccine for your Child - Dress them in this Anti-Cervical Cancer Suit.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Raiser wrote: »
    In the Green Party's latest stupidity showcase it has been revealed via a leaked document that months after our greedy, self-serving, corrupt and ineffectual Government reneged on its plans to vaccinate our children against cervical cancer - The Green Party are lobbying them to vaccinate our Badger population.
    No, they're not. It was a draft document, not a final version. Nevertheless, I note that nobody has questioned why the practice of vaccinating badgers is being discussed.

As for the cervical cancer vaccine, it is only effective in 70% of cases and the long term efficacy is unknown, but it's still available to those who wish to avail of it. Funding a national screening programme (which would still be required even if a vaccination programme was rolled out) is probably a better option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

djpbarry wrote: »
    No, they're not. It was a draft document, not a final version. Nevertheless, I note that nobody has questioned why the practice of vaccinating badgers is being discussed.

As for the cervical cancer vaccine, it is only effective in 70% of cases and the long term efficacy is unknown, but it's still available to those who wish to avail of it. Funding a national screening programme (which would still be required even if a vaccination programme was rolled out) is probably a better option.

A 10% effective vaccine for humans is better than a 100% vaccine for an animal, that might sound crazy to some but I think human lives are worth more than an animals. Why the hell should badgers get vaccinated anyway? Are they going to get swine flu? This is crazy, the Greens need to sort out their priorities. If not, they are the new PDs - finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭BennyLava

Did you not know badgers are vital to the economic recovery of the country.

at least they are more vital than any of the clowns in the Dail

BennyLava wrote: »
    Did you not know badgers are vital to the economic recovery of the country.

at least they are more vital than any of the clowns in the Dail

Sorry, foolish me. I guess the Greens have a better idea of how to spend my taxes, guess it is a crazy and outlandish idea to want to better the lives of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Who voted these ****ing clowns in anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

djpbarry wrote: »
    I note that nobody has questioned why the practice of vaccinating badgers is being discussed.

This is a good point. It's all well and good to say its more important to vaccinate humans - of course its important, but if the badger vaccinations would help reduce the resevoir of something like TB in the country then it is certainly worthwhile to consider the option of doing it....maybe not right now, but it shouldnt be dismissed on the basis that all green policies are crap :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

avalon68 wrote: »
    This is a good point. It's all well and good to say its more important to vaccinate humans - of course its important, but if the badger vaccinations would help reduce the resevoir of something like TB in the country then it is certainly worthwhile to consider the option of doing it....maybe not right now, but it shouldnt be dismissed on the basis that all green policies are crap :rolleyes:.

TB and Cervical Cancer. Which is the bigger problem? :rolleyes:

CCCP^ wrote: »

Well with cases of multidrug resistant TB on the rise worldwide, I would say they are both big problems. Any methods of reducing potential sources of TB should be investigated before the problem gets bigger. Im not saying that vaccines against HPV are not important....I believe it should be part of the vaccination schedule - Im just saying that its not just about having happy little badgers hopping around the country - it has long term benefits to human health too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Arfan

This is a false dilemma. There is no either/or choice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Extensive badger culling in Ireland has failed to reduce bovine TB rates, which are now on the rise. The vaccine, which was recently developed in the UK, is a humane alternative to the ongoing (and apparently ineffective) culling of badgers - and probably more cost-effective, since currently about 6,000 snares are set nightly around the country for badgers.

A vaccination programme would be a follow-up to the same scheme in the UK.

Facts, though - who cares, right? It certainly sounds like a classic "daft Green animals-first policy", and that's good enough for many, apparently.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Arfan wrote: »

Why? Is it because we are not "First World" enough to vaccinate our Children and our nocturnal subterranean dwelling wildlife?

Perhaps because we pay so little tax that funding health programmes is simply not feasible.

Maybe its because small-minded, misguided idiotic Buffoons saw a chance to get into Government so that they could set up Dolphin Discos and Hen Hospitals while the Taxpayer just coughs up that little bit extra to fund their ridiculous hare-brained schemes.

- And all the time they are either blind to or sneakily supportive of the corruption and thievery of their Partners in the worst Government on the Planet with the possible exception of Mugabe's lot.

At this point I'd be in favour of a humane cull.

Maybe its because small-minded, misguided idiotic Buffoons saw a chance to get into Government so that they could set up Dolphin Discos and Hen Hospitals while the Taxpayer just coughs up that little bit extra to fund their ridiculous hare-brained schemes.

I see nothing small minded in wanting to implement a system of vaccination that in the long term will prevent economic losses in the farming industry and has potential benefit to human health in our country..

I see nothing small minded in wanting to implement a system of vaccination that in the long term will prevent economic losses in the farming industry and has potential benefit to human health in our country..

That's side-stepping the point and you know it - there's also nothing ridiculous about spraying for Green fly in your garden - But there would be if you set out to do it 10 minutes after noticing that your House was on fire.

Its about perspective, priority and basic common sense.

The Greens are content to ignore immediate and serious issues while focussing on whatever little mini-projects that Fianna Fail allows them to play with. Half-arsed little almost brainy schemes and pathetic day dream ideals that have no substance, foundation, fundamental worth or worthwhile goal.

They are damaging the good name and reputation of the Green movement Worldwide by perpetuating idiocy at every turn.

We can't afford to humour them and their stupid games and we can't risk allowing them to further damage our State by allowing them free reign any longer.

It's Cattle that need to be treated and vaccinated, not the Badgers.
    Scofflaw wrote:
    Extensive badger culling in Ireland has failed to reduce bovine TB rates, which are now on the rise

Taken from - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6653691.stm
    The UK NFU accused the badger groups of twisting the available data to support their case.

The Union's Anthony Gibson argued that the Republic's policy of snaring badgers within a 2km radius of infected farms - where wildlife transmission was the suspected cause of the outbreak - had been an outstanding success.

He said it had resulted in a reduction in the number of cattle that needed to be slaughtered from 42,000 in 2002 to 24,000 now - a reduction of 46%.

Regardless, it's about priorities with me when I read this about the Greens. The Cervical Cancer vaccine could save far more women and far more taxpayer's money in the long run. Ireland has always had a TB problem and I do agree we cannot afford to lose focus on something like this that once ravaged the country, but it's rare for animal to human transmission of TB to occur unless you have alot of contact or work with animals who are prone to getting TB.

Human to human transmission of TB is the bigger problem. There was a recent outbreak of TB down in Cork but it wasn't from petting Badgers, it was someone who worked in a creche who originated from Eastern Europe and had contracted TB there afaik.

It's Cattle that need to be treated and vaccinated, not the Badgers.

Taken from - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6653691.stm

Regardless, it's about priorities with me when I read this about the Greens. The Cervical Cancer vaccine could save far more women and far more taxpayer's money in the long run. Ireland has always had a TB problem and I do agree we cannot afford to lose focus on something like this that once ravaged the country, but it's rare for animal to human transmission of TB to occur unless you have alot of contact or work with animals who are prone to getting TB.

Human to human transmission of TB is the bigger problem. There was a recent outbreak of TB down in Cork but it wasn't from petting Badgers, it was someone who worked in a creche who originated from Eastern Europe and had contracted TB there afaik.

If it's about priorities, then perhaps we should look at the cost of the alternative. This is the pilot study:
    30 areas of the country, each 100 square km
    10 culled proactively, 10 reactively, 10 not culled
    Badgers culled through being caught in cage and then shot
    Incidence of bovine TB measured on farms inside and outside study areas
    Reactive culling suspended in 2003 after significant rise in infection
    Trial cost £7m per year

That's quite a lot of money - what does culling cost Ireland country-wide?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

That's side-stepping the point and you know it - there's also nothing ridiculous about spraying for Green fly in your garden - But there would be if you set out to do it 10 minutes after noticing that your House was on fire.

The house being "on fire" now does not mean we should abandon plans to improve the country in the future. The green party have not said anything about running out and vaccinating badgers next week...for all you know this issue may not even be included in the final document. I am simply making the point that it is a worthwhile endeavour and should not be dismissed in a flurry of anti-green sentiment.

• Advertisement

The house being "on fire" now does not mean we should abandon plans to improve the country in the future. The green party have not said anything about running out and vaccinating badgers next week...for all you know this issue may not even be included in the final document. I am simply making the point that it is a worthwhile endeavour and should not be dismissed in a flurry of anti-green sentiment.

It's a worthwhile endeavour but the goddamned house is burning to the ground; the country is bankrupt, there is no money left. Put it on the backburner and get priorities upfront such as getting the economy back on track. It wouldnt even be in a secondary level business students draft of things that need to be done right now, anyone in their right mind would realise that the current situation we are in is desperate. Don't feel you need to defend "green issues" here, I agree that on a sunnier day this should be dealt with, but for the Green Party to be imagining that this type of thing needs to be included in possible negotitations for continuing Gov't with FF is crazy, it's pure selfish agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Is it a specific Green party policy not to vaccinate children against anything at all?
    Because that is what the thread title implies.

Is it a specific Green party policy not to vaccinate children against anything at all?
    Because that is what the thread title implies.

The title is misleading and carries slant, nobody has said so far (afaik) that it is not public health policy on the part of the Greens to vaccinate children, but it has been leaked from the rag that is the Indo that they may have been considering vaccinating badgers against TB to prevent Bovine TB amongst Cattle. Not in itself a bad idea if it can be proven to work but bad timing as I think we have more pressing matters to deal with.

It was probably thought up to get support from the farming community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭john-joe

agree

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Extensive badger culling in Ireland has failed to reduce bovine TB rates, which are now on the rise. The vaccine, which was recently developed in the UK, is a humane alternative to the ongoing (and apparently ineffective) culling of badgers - and probably more cost-effective, since currently about 6,000 snares are set nightly around the country for badgers.

A vaccination programme would be a follow-up to the same scheme in the UK.

Facts, though - who cares, right? It certainly sounds like a classic "daft Green animals-first policy", and that's good enough for many, apparently.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Genuine question - if we can't get rid of them by shooting them, then how will we capture them and vaccinate them?
    Arfan wrote: »
    Except that we are kinda short on money now.

Genuine question - if we can't get rid of them by shooting them, then how will we capture them and vaccinate them?

A good question, and not one I can give a definitive answer to. However, shooting or trapping requires a close to 100% success rate as long as badgers are still a TB reservoir, whereas vaccination can eliminate the TB reservoir in badgers with a much less than 100% success rate - all that is required is to make transmission statistically less probable than non-transmission.
    Except that we are kinda short on money now.

Bovine TB costs money, though.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Are you thinking of the Badgers or The Greens here? - I'd like to voice my full support either way !!!

Folks it is unfair to say that the thread title is misleading. It is a fact that the Greens stood idly by munching organic Himalyan muesli energy bars while the Cervical Cancer vaccination programme was flushed down the toilet. For them to then come out and represent the People of this State with a Badger vaccination crusade simply invites comparison, ridicule and disgust.

- They may as well be campaigning for extra lifeboats on the Titanic in terms of their timing, relevance, grasp of reality, intelligence, understanding of their Electorate/key issues and overall worth.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Folks it is unfair to say that the thread title is misleading. It is a fact that the Greens stood idly by munching organic Himalyan muesli energy bars while the Cervical Cancer vaccination programme was flushed down the toilet. For them to then come out and represent the People of this State with a Badger vaccination crusade simply invites comparison, ridicule and disgust.

- They may as well be campaigning for extra lifeboats on the Titanic in terms of their timing, relevance, grasp of reality, intelligence, understanding of their Electorate/key issues and overall worth.

You see what you've done here is ignore the relevant facts that have been pointed out in the discussion since your OP and gone straight back to your original argument, despite it being shown to be totally flawed. You've also thrown around the usual (*yawn*) insults about muesli bars (please do try and be a little more imaginative) and once again proven Bertrand Russell to be correct to such an extent I think he's going to have to go back in my sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

taconnol wrote: »
    You see what you've done here is ignore the relevant facts that have been pointed out in the discussion since your OP and gone straight back to your original argument, despite it being shown to be totally flawed. You've also thrown around the usual (*yawn*) insults about muesli bars (please do try and be a little more imaginative) and once again proven Bertrand Russell to be correct to such an extent I think he's going to have to go back in my sig.

Totally agree. This whole thread is a perfect example of a false dichotomy and is being used to have another good old bash of the greens

Whether you agree with the Greens or not at least they have principles. With the ridicule (muesli bars / cycling to work) that is heaped upon them for standing up for those principles it is clear that the idea of a principled politician is anathema to the Irish public yet cute hoorism and cronyism is accepted. No wonder we are screwed.

BTW I've never voted green party.

• Advertisement

You see what you've done here is ignore the relevant facts that have been pointed out in the discussion since your OP and gone straight back to your original argument, despite it being shown to be totally flawed.

I've assessed each 'fact' on its merits and despite their being well presented and correct in premise and accuracy, common sense requires that I'd still redirect you back to the house on fire analogy.

If you cannot correctly judge the stark reality here then either you are living in a Political vacuum out of choice or ignorance - or alternatively you must admit your absolute blind Green bias.
    You've also thrown around the usual (*yawn*) insults about muesli bars (please do try and be a little more imaginative) and once again proven Bertrand Russell to be correct to such an extent I think he's going to have to go back in my sig.

Bertrand Russell has been quoted on the topic of Muesli bars? I think you've botched your sig..... ;)

- Most certainly its an insult to the good name and memory of Bertrand Russell to associate it glibly with a cheap ploy to save a what is factually a tiny fraction of the cost of NAMA through failing to safeguard the health of our Children.

Advertisement