Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2nd 2009 - Demoracy in Ireland R.I.P.

Options
  • 03-10-2009 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Ireland was forced to vote on the EXACT same treaty until a YES vote was returned, the treaty we voted on was the same treaty word for word. Demoracy in Ireland R.I.P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I welcome our new European overlords and of course when the Lizard People take over it'll be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Dublin1600 wrote: »
    Ireland was forced to vote on the EXACT same treaty until a YES vote was returned, the treaty we voted on was the same treaty word for word. Demoracy in Ireland R.I.P.

Ah would you ever get a hold of yourself. That wagon Mary Lou is on RTE now bitching the same way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

I dont seem to recall being forced to vote on either treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Well I voted No both times and don't feel that our democracy is in danger

The fact that people had a choice and chance to change their minds is hardly undemocratic, even if the current climate played a massive part in making them change their minds second time round

The majority of Ireland voted for the Treaty, ergo democracy is dead. Quite the conclusion you have reached.

• Advertisement

The majority of Ireland voted for the Treaty, ergo democracy is dead. Quite the conclusion you have reached.

EU HUMAN-TANK HYBRID ARMIES!

And so on.

Populism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

well i guess were now the laughing stock of europe because weve proven we've no backbone,for shame Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Who forced you to vote? Were you held at gunpoint?

It looks like 20% of the electorate changed their minds. No one forced them to change their minds. They had 18 months to inform themselves, and they obviously realised that actually this treaty isn't the end of the world. I imagine they are pretty pleased that they got a second chance. Maybe you needed more than 18 months :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

democracy is not dead

however the lies and scaremongering by the yes side, and the ridiculous BS spouted by Coir (esp the 1.84E claim) co-erced the electorate to change their minds

Lets see when these jobs and the economic recovery we were promised will materialize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Were people held at gunpoint until they voted yes? Did I miss something?

• Advertisement

triple-M wrote: »
    well i guess were now the laughing stock of europe because weve proven we've no backbone,for shame Ireland

You are right, Europe are sitting around in their living room laughing at us for having the notion that we could reconsider an issue rather then choose one side and blindly stumble on.

The Gails of laughter must be quite deafening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

What is this demoracy of which you speak?

Jeez, if you're so concerned about it why don't you learn how to spell it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Whether the treaty was changed or not it was a second chance for people to take a look at it.

I mean the first time around I voted no because I didn't know anything about it. This time I read the referendum commission thing and realised its actually no big deal so I voted yes. I mean the No side were clearly twisting the truth, for example saying our percentage vote drops to 0.8% but neglecting to mention the whole other part where every country gets a single vote and things have to be passed by both votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

The Irish Courts disagree with you: "This is democracy working at its most fluid". Are you qualified to disagree with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ridiculous post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

OP seriously now come on, get a grip of yourself

this is exactly why the NO side lost it seems

downright stupidity and craziness of certain elements of the campaign, who are still fearmongering

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Hyperbole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

Ireland voted on the treaty misinformed of its tenets re. abortion, euthanasia, military, conscription, commissionner veto gone, EU taxation policies, employment rights etc
    It has since in the meantime, had these issues reiteratred and explained and with this clarification therefore voted accordingly with an increased turnout on the previous p*ssy turnout.

That's democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

The thread starter is going to be quite embarassed next time we have an election or referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

namloc1980 wrote: »
    and of course when the Lizard People take over it'll be great.

You mean the girl from the Libertas posters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I voted 'Yes' last time. I wasn't too pleased when the 'No' vote carried but I left it at that. It's time to let go.

eightyfish wrote: »
    You mean the girl from the Libertas posters?

Vote NO or this girl gets it

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Democracy, while currently fashionable, is overrated. Democracy brought us Patrick Bartholomew Ahern, lest anybody forgets, a man who shaped policies specifically in order to win democratic contests/elections.

Today, this state needs its "prince" to make tough decisions and stand up to the vested interests which are impeding our development as a sustainable society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

I for one will be welcoming our new turkish overlords ,while im on a jet flying out of this place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Skobe

I like the margin of victory. This will stick it to Mary Lou and the other cream crackers.

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Today, this state needs its "prince" to make tough decisions and stand up to the vested interests which are impeding our development as a sustainable society.

Hail Ganley! Mein Führer!!!

:rolleyes:

I for one will be welcoming our new turkish overlords ,while im on a jet flying out of this place

make sure the door doesn't hit you on the way out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Can we please dispense with all these "I'm getting the next plane out of this facist hell-hole" proclamations? The likelihood is that nobody's going anywhere. And if you really are hell-bent on leaving, nobody is going to miss you or try to stop you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Out you go then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Racist and uninformed. Quel surprise.

Advertisement