Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest Marathon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭woundedknee

Rusty,
    I haven't read the full thread so might be repeating what was already said but here's some of my advice based on previous experience.
    Unlike a regular Marathon where there's a chance of not finishing with this one there's a chance of not starting for a variety of reasons ranging from altitude sickness to illness or injury. If you take your time on the trek from Lukla to Gorak Shep by staying towards the back of your group and taking regular breaks and photo stops you should acclimate well. The main cause of altitude sickness is gaining height too quickly. If you feel under pressure, stop and take a look around and use the opportunity to take a photo.
    The final approach to Namche Bazzar is quite tough as you gain height quite quickly and can really wear you down so be ready for that.

Heading from Namche to Gorak Shep is again quite tough and you'll be amazed at the difference when you start on your run back to Namche as you start to benefit from your time at altitude.

You can't prepare for the altitude at home so I'd suggest you make do by preparing for the terrain as best you can. I would suggest the Spink in Glendalough for the bulk of your training as this is close to what you can expect between Lukla / Namche / Gorak Shep.

My regular route went up the steps in a clockwise direction and when I dropped down into the miners village I would turn at the river and reverse the route.

Pay special attention to your health an hygiene.

Acclimatising

Move very slowly and take plenty of breaks.
    Make time to take photos and this will be an excuse to rest.
    On rest days rest but if you have an opportunity to gain height and return to lower altitude take it.
    Eg Climbing Kala Patar from Gorak Shep.
    Explore the area around Namche Bazar

Food & Water

It's very important to continuously drink as this helps with the acclimatisation to altitude.

Flood the threads
    Every so often turn water bottle upside down and lightly open top to allow water wash over the threads.
    Sterilise bottle tops / bite valves etc
    If using a hydration pack I would immerse the bite valve in boiling water / tea daily.
    Be carefull with meats. I would usually stay vegetarian on the outward journey and limit the meats I eat before the trek.
    Meat / protein carried on the trek will more than likely be canned and that should be safe.
    Never buy food from street vendors.
    Always Peel fruit and stick with the safest items such as bananas that have thick skin.
    Human waste is used as fertiliser.
    If buying water check seal on bottle especialy on trek to Base Camp as locals recycle discarded bottles to sell them on.

Tips for travelling.

The further away from civilisation you travel the more important it becomes to pay extra attention to hygiene.
    Carry 2 Spare tooth brushes. Leave one back at hotel or base with main kit. Carry spare for use after illness
    Antiseptic hand wash. Carry a few small ones rather than having a large half empty container.
    Carry own toilet paper & baby wipes.
    Be aware of weight restrictions on the flights you will use. Returning ex Nepal might be allowed less weight.
    Reccomend a travel scales.
    Carry small amounts of local currency for tipping.

Travel light, Freeze at night! Make sure you have a good sleeping Bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

Many thanks for taking the time to log all of this. Lots of good advice (that will be followed) in here. Do you have any tips for sleeping, bedding, tablets to assist (or avoid), ear plugs, music, whatever you found helpful ?

T - 51 / Wednesday / 6m Flat / 41'50" / AvP 6'58" / AvHR 137

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/16216698#

Charity Goal 13%

http://www.justgiving.com/Marc-Barrett/

So this was a quick recovery (note the contradiction) run between work and chairing our monthly Residents Committee meeting. The 40 odd minutes is a good opportunity to go through what you plan to do in the meeting although everyone has their agenda so I'm really only there to move things along.

Once back home, got stuck into the Critical Reasoning section of my GMAT studies. I'm running through all the tests first and then I'll come back to those I got incorrect at the end. Happy to get more right than wrong.

Then watched an episode of The Wire while ironing (coz that's how I roll homies) and then a bit of Arthur Koestlers autobiography.

Bottom line, I'm a busy boy this weather and I'm looking forward to putting everything on hold (bar the marathon) once I leave a month from now.

Do you have any tips for sleeping, bedding, tablets to assist (or avoid), ear plugs, music, whatever you found helpful ?

For starters you will need a good sleeping bag because if your bag isn't warm enough the cold will wake you and you will burn more calories trying to stay warm. I'd go for a synthetic bag as it's easier to maintain.

Is there a sleeping mat provided? might be worth bringing your own just in case, they don't weigh much and it'll be carried by the Sherpa. No matter how good your sleeping bag is it won't stop you from losing heat through conduction with the ground, crushed insulation won't keep you warm so a mat is very important.

Carry a Pee bottle for use in your tent. This will also keep your feet warm :D

Carry ear plugs and an eye mask as this will allow you turn day into night, handy for naps on rest day but remember not to overdo the naps as you need your body clock synced with the rest of your group.

I never bother with music as these trips are once in a lifetime experiences so you want to take it all in.

Bring a Buff scarf and wear it around your neck, it's very handy when passing Yaks as it stops you getting a mouthfull of dust.

I didn't need Diamox so can't make any comment on it.

I'll have a think about it and put something together for you and you can take what you want from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Hey Rusty Cogs

I'd echo what woundedknee said about hygiene but bring a few antibiotics in case you get the tummy bug as well. Nepal is the world capital of traveller's diarrhoea and there's a good bit of info here about them:

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2010/chapter-2/travelers-diarrhea.aspx

Scroll down to the treatment section.

I know from personal experience how depressing it is to get sick while trekking...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Don't be cheap and use a spare drink bottle :D

T - 50 / Thursday / 13.1m Flat / 89'46" / AvP 6'50" / AvHR 145

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/16318479#

Charity Goal 15%

The iPod made me do it. I really wasn't 'feeling' this run before I went out. 13 miles of a dank Wednesday night just wasn't appealing. A phone call taken as I was getting ready meant I was late starting too. I brought an iPod (lent by a friend for the trip) along. First time I've used one in months and once The Chemical Brothers started I got into a kind of trance pace. I was clocking in and around 7 min miles and trying to lose myself in the music in the hope that the miles would roll by. In the end I should have eased up but I didn't want to be out there any longer than necessary and I didn't want to run at LSR pace (as scheduled) so I ended up breaking the 90m half marathon out of spite more than anything else.

The result of course is that the legs are giving out and tonights 8m with strides is being replaced with 6m recovery (and I mean recovery pace).

I'm off up the hills tomorrow so hopefully the softer terrain + little running Sunday or Monday (birthday this weekend) will ensure no stress injuries rear their ugly head.

For starters you will need a good sleeping bag because if your bag isn't warm enough the cold will wake you and you will burn more calories trying to stay warm. I'd go for a synthetic bag as it's easier to maintain.

Is there a sleeping mat provided? might be worth bringing your own just in case, they don't weigh much and it'll be carried by the Sherpa. No matter how good your sleeping bag is it won't stop you from losing heat through conduction with the ground, crushed insulation won't keep you warm so a mat is very important.

A good (4 season) sleeping bag is one of my big o/s items. Lots of friends have lots of bags but none with a decent 4 season and they are circa €200- to buy (and up) so I'm not sure what to do here. I could rent one in Kathmandu (as I plan to do for the down jacket) but if anyone wants to send their 4 season sleeping back up the Himalayas please get in touch. There'll be a liner inside the bag as well and of course I'd launder the thing on return.

There's some kind of mat provided but I'm also bringing a thermarest.

I could just wear recovery tights to bed and not bother with the bottle, :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

A good (4 season) sleeping bag is one of my big o/s items. Lots of friends have lots of bags but none with a decent 4 season and they are circa €200- to buy (and up) so I'm not sure what to do here. I could rent one in Kathmadu (as I plan to do for the down jacket) but if anyone wants to send their 4 season sleeping back up the Himalayas please get in touch. There'll be a liner inside the bag as well and of course I'd launder the thing on return.

There's some kind of mat provided but I'm also bringing a thermarest.

I could just wear recovery tights to bed and not bother with the bottle, :rolleyes:

I may have one -- I'll check to see what season etc it is (which will take a few weeks as its in storage). Its from NZ, bought it a few trips ago.

Well don't go to too much trouble Scott, sounds like it's well buried. But thanks :)

• Advertisement

T - 49 / Friday / Rest Day

My legs were just too worrisome for running tonight. Thurs night over doing it on the half marathon meant that sometimes the best thing to do is nothing at all. Did a bit of study and then settled into Series 2 of The Wire with a couple of beers.

T - 48 / Saturday / 15m Hills / 2'20'20" / AvP 9'21" / AvHR 136

http://connect.garmin.com/player/16435733

Charity Goal 55%

Well, 12 months ago I turned 35 while feeling poorly on a holiday in Beirut. It wasn't much of a celebration as I tried to hold down rehydration salts lying on my hotel bed for the evening. 12 months later and it seems I'm not much use at giving myself easy birthdays. 15 miles up and around Howth summit. And if you've never clicked on that link at the top of the page, now's the time to do it and give yourself a laugh.

Running for 15 miles on a summit that's about 4 miles square means I look like a mouse in a maze who can't find the cheese. Not ideal training but Howth is a flat 9 miles from home so easier to access than Laragh (on a bike with one gear).

Happy to keep it going for the full duration although I gave myself a fright after the shower as my left foot is beginning to look like something out of a Victorian medical book, all black toenails, blisters and strange necro-patches. I think I'll nudge the OH for a Clarol Foot Spa for crimbo.

Anyhoo, not going to spend any more of this auspicious day on t'interweb, I need a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Happy Birthday Rusty! I've been reading your log with interest, sounds like it's going to be an amazing trip.

T - 47 & 46 / Rest Days

Resting from running anyway. I spent Sunday cleaning out my OH's garage which hadn't been done in 20 years. 20 years of dust and cobwebs and dead bugs left me feeling like I had one of those 'illegal' jobs channel 4 expose for unfortunate non-nationals. 'And for 8 hours work, Banjo was paid just 50c and a fun size Crunchie'.

Yesterday was down as a 'rest day' on the schedule so that's my excuse there :rolleyes:

T - 45 / Tuesday / 8m Flat / 52'52" / AvP 6'36" / AvHR 152

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/16747479#

Charity Goal 62%

Some very generous donations has me well on the way for my charity target and I'm not 2nd MVP on the charity website so thanks everyone out there who donated. Thanks to you, I'll be able to walk tall over there (to the start line at least).

Went out tonight feeling a bit guilty for missing two days, that and the rest had a bearing on the quick 'aerobic' pace although the Garmin didn't kick in until near the end of the first mile which messed up the pace and distance all together. No matter, I just powered on. Lots of people out, final pre-DCM training I imagine. I wonder will there be a sinner next week ?

Tomorrow's run is meant to be 15 miles, yeesh, would make it the longest mid-week run yet. We'll see.

T - 44 / Wednesday / 12.16m Flat / 83'52" / AvP 6'53" / AvHR 148

http://connect.garmin.com/player/16799744

Charity Goal 62%

Tonight was meant to be 15m but I had a chicken in the oven so I couldn't stay out too long unless I wanted to eat carbon. Bloody thing wasn't done as it happened but it wasn't nice out there and I upped the tempo so a good work out. Miles 1 to 11 were very steady on pace and HR as you can see by the garmin.

Plans to do my recovery 6m before work. We'll see.

As altitude training in Dublin is limited to visiting the Guinness Storehouse I'll be getting up to the vertiginous heights of the Wicklow and Dublin mountains to hone my fell running skills.

Find a decent set of steps such as the ones leading from Island Bridge into the Phoenix Park and although it won't train you for altitude it will get your legs ready for trekking to altitude. Run up and walk down, check the height gain using your GPS and then you can work out how many reps you'll need to maybe climb a Km. But like everything else don't overdo it as it's best to arrive at the start line injury free and healthy even if it means being slightly undertrained.

T - 43 / Thursday / 6m Flat / 42'48" / AvP 7'08" / AvHR 146

http://connect.garmin.com/player/16836728

Charity Goal 63%

I'd love to think that half a mile into my morning run my HR had dropped to a casual 22 bpm but I'd say it was the chest strap waking up even more slowly than myself. Early run meant I had time tonight to get to the shops and to do a bit of study. How lucky am I ?

The current spell of poor weather has to be making the marathon virgins nervous. I'm not allowed complain considering what I might face out in Nepal. Booked myself in today for vaccinations, yahoo.

Before we set off out of Kathmandu and up up and away, there is a fancy dress run, the more stupid the better. Anyone any ideas for an outfit ? As fun as it would be, I'm not carrying a yeti costume from home and half way up Everest for jollies on the fun run.

And before anyone suggests a leprechaun suit from Carrols, no, just no.

T - 42 / Friday / 13.14m Flat / 90'48" / AvP 6'54" / AvHR 148

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/17180961

Charity Goal 65%

Running half marathon training runs on a Friday is something that could never happened a few years ago when I'd be straight into the pub with the co-workers. My original intention was to run this one before work but I slept poorly and when it came to 6.15am I figured it just wasn't worth it. So I went out after work into a dark and damp night. I brought music along again which took my mind off the pace and as it happened, the only time I checked my watch was to see how far I'd gone. So when finished I'd no idea what pace I'd been running at. I guessed at around 92' but it was closer to 90'30" for the half which I was pleased with considering I wasn't pushing it too hard at any stage (as my HR would testify).

All in all, probably the most relaxed half marathon I've ever run (at pace).

• Advertisement

T - 41 / Saturday / Rest Day

My late run on Friday meant I didn't make it out to the OH's in time to prep for a weekend of painting her kitchen units. We started at around 10am Saturday morning and finished (for the day) at 11.30pm that night. No 7m recovery run but a lot of primer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

T - 41 / Saturday / Rest Day

My late run on Friday meant I didn't make it out to the OH's in time to prep for a weekend of painting her kitchen units. We started at around 10am Saturday morning and finished (for the day) at 11.30pm that night. No 7m recovery run but a lot of primer.
    What was the priming pace? 1 cabinet/hour, or faster? The problem is, if you go out too fast, you can peak too early. Better to keep a slow and steady pace. How did you manage nutrition? Did you just pick at food as you went along, or take a break and have proper meals? Well done anyway. A huge achievement. :)

T - 40 / Sunday / 10.72m Hills / 1'55'50" / AvP 10'48" / AvHR 144

http://connect.garmin.com/player/17180944

Charity Goal 65%

So this is the famous(ish) Spink run up behind Glendalough as recommended by Woundedknee. I took a break from a morning of painting to head up to (a perenially rainy) Glendalough. The link above gives you an idea of the route, a 3/4 lap of the lakes (+ reverse return) with some serious elevation along the south side. Around 1,000 metres of gain/descent overall.

Before I got out there I had notions of doing it twice (as the training schedule called for 15m at marathon pace) but as you can see, it took almost two hours for less than 11m so it just wasn't going to happen.

For those who've never been up there, it starts with some rolling paths out of Glendalough and then some fire trail up to the woods. Then you dive into the trees following the 'Spink' route and you're faced with railway sleeper steps (embedded lenghtways, so maybe 20" wide) and it's up up and up. Parts of it are pretty relentless so it's akin to running up the stairs of a tall building. When you get out 'up top' you're exposed to a serious wind (and rain) and you try to run down the far side without falling into the bog either side of the sleepers. Eventually, you make it to a path of large stones which is similar to the terrain at Everest (so I'm told). At this point you can open it up a bit and see how well your coping with downhill racing. It's actually a lot of fun, I'd say in a race it could be a bit frantic and being so slippy underfoot you'd need your trail shoes.

Turning at the 'Miner's Village' and going back the way you came is a tad daunting, plus you get to run down those little railway sleeper steps which is not much fun at all really as you can't get any pace up and if you push it you could end up 'snotting' yourself (for want of a better term) and with three weeks to go to the biggest adventure trip of my life, that, I don't need).

Then it was back to the painting...

T - 39 / Monday / Rest Day

As per the schedule (which was welcome on my battered legs)

and more painting

18 cabinet doors & 3 drawers x 5 coats, Jesus wept.

What was the priming pace? 1 cabinet/hour, or faster? The problem is, if you go out too fast, you can peak too early. Better to keep a slow and steady pace. How did you manage nutrition? Did you just pick at food as you went along, or take a break and have proper meals? Well done anyway. A huge achievement. :)

I tried to pace them evenly, I was rehydrating throughout (coffee) and taking on carbs during those long evening stints (pizza). I have to give thanks to my support crew (OH) for keeping me going. There was a time when my whole body cried out to stop but I dug deep, remembered all I had put in and just kept on going.

As I hammered the lid back on the paint pot I thought 'never again'. I do have my eye on a front garden digging ultra in the spring though.;)

T - 38 / Tuesday / 6m Flat / 43'43" / AvP 7'17" / AvHR 142

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/17266216

Charity Goal 65%

Felt a bit stiff for tonight's recovery run. I put it down to Sunday's exersions plus the fact that I didn't do any stretching. For the first time however I managed to balance a full minute on each leg with my eyes closed (not at the same time either). Maybe my ankle muscles have just fused together ?

My charity goal has been ignored a bit of late, I'm waiting until Friday (payday) for the final push email to all family and friends. I think I can reach 100% by Nov 15th (leaving time).

T - 37 / Wednesday / 10m Flat / 74'14" / AvP 7'25" / AvHR 139

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/17381683

Charity Goal 67%

So this was 10 miles with four 3/4 mile intervals @5k race pace. I have to say, I really didn't feel up to this, would have happily fallen asleep on the couch as soon as I got home from work. I'm finding it harder to dig for motivation atm for some reason where as I should really be enjoying my last few weeks of training before I leave. Anyway, pushed the intervals as much as I could and was happy to get through it all without nodding off on the side of the road.

T - 36 / Thursday / 15m Flat / 1'43'31" / AvP 6'54" / AvHR 146

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/17452584

Charity Goal 67%

After last nights tough 10m I had reservations on going out to do 15m. Music tonight definitely helped as I tried to forget about pace and the clock and just get into a rhythm (spl ?) and let the miles flow by. It worked up to about 7m where I had to run through Sutton and the wind started to swirl around me. In fairness, after last night, I was happy to keep the pace up, although the last mile felt like just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

That's a very impressive pace for a 15 mile run. I'd say that if you were targetting a flat (standard format) marathon, you'd knock a sub-3 out of the park. Any regrets?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Before we set off out of Kathmandu and up up and away, there is a fancy dress run, the more stupid the better. Anyone any ideas for an outfit ? As fun as it would be, I'm not carrying a yeti costume from home and half way up Everest for jollies on the fun run.

And before anyone suggests a leprechaun suit from Carrols, no, just no.

A sexy maids outfit?

Advertisement