Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Debate on the Lisbon Debate

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Is it me or is FT

trying to do a classic

information overload trick?

how many of your average AH members would read all of that? without their eyes glazing over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    not much directly, indirectly

It helps ensure their habitats dont get flooded or disappear due to other climate change events

as fighting climate change is one of the main parts of Lisbon

:)

Could you not just have answered 'nothing' rather than come up with that waffle?

If you were being humourous then I apologise.

Could you not just have answered 'nothing' rather than come up with that waffle?

If you were being humourous then I apologise.

:D

well lookit this way its more plausable than the 1.84 min wage ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

It helps ensure their habitats dont get flooded or disappear due to other climate change events

It's argued the more CO2 in the atmosphere, the more vigorous plants will grow therefore their habitats will be fine.

Climate change becomes an official objective of the EU under Lisbon, but why fight something that is natural?

You can be assured any "fight" against climate change will be purely a money making exercise via carbon taxes and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

not much directly, indirectly

:)

Lisbon ends climate change? :eek: nobody told me that!

Seriously though to say that it 'ensures their habitats don't get flooded' is amazingly deceiving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Hope this isnt a stupid Question but what will the lisbon treaty do for animals in this country?

Probably nothing either way though the EU's track record does stand up.

Turf cutting in 92 bogs stopped and recompensing owners for it, will be spinned as all turf cutters out of jobs.

Would you trust the EU on this or Ireland?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

The Lisbon helps climate change thing is nuts considering there's so few mentions of climate change in the treaty. The main purpose of the treaty is reform not particularly to deal with world issues like that. So there's nothing really new there.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

Hope this isnt a stupid Question but what will the lisbon treaty do for animals in this country?

the Irish fisheries box in the Atlantic will be invaded by Spanish "armada", with a good chance of damaging the fish stocks permanently.

also for every time you vote yes a puppy and kitten are eaten by Mary Herney.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

This isn't a debate it's rambling walls of text that without any central theme which fail to coherently address points. I honestly fail to see the point of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

turgon wrote: »
    Valid point. However this doesnt relate to the French and Dutch as the Constitution is different to Lisbon, despite how much the No side want them to be the same.

Insofar as i can tell, the Yes side of the debate have essentially conceeded this point (they have not even attempted a rebuttal); and it is being hammered home by the No side. That the Lisbon Treaty is the EU Constitution re-visited.

Well done FT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

nesf wrote: »
    This isn't a debate it's rambling walls of text that without any central theme which fail to coherently address points. I honestly fail to see the point of this.

I was thinking maybe there should be a word count limit so that people had to make their points succinctly and without rambling, it would be like having a time limit in a spoken debate

With a word limit more thought and shape would have to be made in a post in order to get your point across and it would cut down the walls of text that are currently being produced with very little to show for it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

RedPlanet wrote: »
    Insofar as i can tell, the Yes side of the debate have essentially conceeded this point (they have not even attempted a rebuttal); and it is being hammered home by the No side.
    Insofar as I can tell, the only point being hammered home by the ‘No’ side is that they don’t know how to make a point succinctly.

Lisbon ends climate change? :eek: nobody told me that!

Seriously though to say that it 'ensures their habitats don't get flooded' is amazingly deceiving.

What no sense of humor today?

deceiving is exactly what the NO campaign has been doing, have a taste of your own medicine so

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Wheres Scofflaw and sink?

Its true the debate isnt living up to the hopes I had after reading the first two points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭FutureTaoiseach

I was thinking maybe there should be a word count limit so that people had to make their points succinctly and without rambling, it would be like having a time limit in a spoken debate

With a word limit more thought and shape would have to be made in a post in order to get your point across and it would cut down the walls of text that are currently being produced with very little to show for it
    That would prevent important - if longwinded - parts of the Treaty and the Charter from being explored as to their legal implications. I disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

quatations are not counted in word limits as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Poor debate!

FT is ruining it with the walls of text in my opinion. I'm half way through his third and largest wall and I give up.

From the wider debate I have read so far (on boards and other media) and the parts of the legal rants I have understood, it appears to me that the issue (for the general public) boils down to one simple question... "Do you trust the EU?". My answer is yes. FT's arguments so far mostly seem to point out chinks in the legal armour as if to say "Look, here's a place where the EU can shaft us!". Such chinks may or may not exist and well done you for finding them if they do. Frankly though, I don't care because I don't think the EU is out to get us!

Arg! This whole thing is a farce. It should never have been put to a referendum in my opinion. It is just going to come down to voters' personalities and their disposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Dr Pepper wrote: »
    Poor debate!

FT is ruining it with the walls of text in my opinion. I'm half way through his third and largest wall and I give up.

From the wider debate I have read so far (on boards and other media) and the parts of the legal rants I have understood, it appears to me that the issue (for the general public) boils down to one simple question... "Do you trust the EU?". My answer is yes. FT's arguments so far mostly seem to point out chinks in the legal armour as if to say "Look, here's a place where the EU can shaft us!". Such chinks may or may not exist and well done you for finding them if they do. Frankly though, I don't care because I don't think the EU is out to get us!

Arg! This whole thing is a farce. It should never have been put to a referendum in my opinion. It is just going to come down to voters' personalities and their disposition.

I tend to agree. However, I think that the european voters were indeed shafted in terms of Lisbon. I believe that we are already being shafted in small ways. I personally trust free markets. I don't trust an unaccountable Commission - and that is fundamentally why I don't think it should be given more power by Lisbon.

And unfortunately, the wall of texts are symptomatic of a very stodgy legal document that like the Bible, seemingly contradicts itself at numerous turns (not to mention the yes and no political campaigns that contradict themselves, let alone each other, with every other breath)

Edit: I apparently, and inadvertently, made a good reference to faith-hood with my analogy. I BELIEVE in Europe.

Does Barosso have a direct line to EU? Let us pray, tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Fair dues to Blitzkrieg. His last two posts have shown him to be a rational debater who is crucially able to support his points with wide varieties of sources.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    quatations are not counted in word limits as far as I know.

That was my thinking on it too and one of the reasons I suggested a word count limit

I have no issue with quoting chunks of text (aside from the fact that it veers away a little from the format of a spoken debate and can make posts difficult to read) but I do think that there should be a limit to what a person can say in their posts

It kind of undermines the point of only allowing 5 posts per day per debator if they can put up huge posts spanning a huge range of arguements that makes it very difficult to break down and argue against

• Advertisement

That was my thinking on it too and one of the reasons I suggested a word count limit

I have no issue with quoting chunks of text (aside from the fact that it veers away a little from the format of a spoken debate and can make posts difficult to read) but I do think that there should be a limit to what a person can say in their posts

It kind of undermines the point of only allowing 5 posts per day per debator if they can put up huge posts spanning a huge range of arguements that makes it very difficult to break down and argue against

one would think FT is trying to write a Lisbon treaty sized document

but maybe thats the game plan here? have the people give up on Lisbon as it all appears to complicated and long winded??

but maybe thats the game plan here? have the people give up on Lisbon as it all appears to complicated and long winded??

I wasn't aiming my suggestion at any one poster more a general idea to help the debate along

It doesn't seem like it has generated a huge amount of interest across Boards, most of the posters here are involved in the discussions in the Poltics forum already, I would have hoped it would draw in people who have not previously paid it much attention

Longwindedness is a fault of the Treaty not anyone here a proper cliff notes version of the treaty is all people need to decide on it and leave the Legalise to the legal people that need to worry about it

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

If the objective here was to try and enlighten your average boardster and help one to make up one's mind, I would think it has failed miserably. If the objective was to try and pin down the exact legal implications of the treaty, it has probably also failed (although I'm not following it any more so I can't say for sure). So, what is the objective? What has been or is likely to be achieved? Sorry to be negative and putting the whole thing down. I was enthusiastic about it before it started.. :o

Maybe this futility of the debate is why a couple of parties haven't contributed?? Have they decided that there is no point?

I wasn't aiming my suggestion at any one poster more a general idea to help the debate along

It doesn't seem like it has generated a huge amount of interest across Boards, most of the posters here are involved in the discussions in the Poltics forum already, I would have hoped it would draw in people who have not previously paid it much attention

Longwindedness is a fault of the Treaty not anyone here a proper cliff notes version of the treaty is all people need to decide on it and leave the Legalise to the legal people that need to worry about it

I think it can generate alot more debate

if boards admins

added bigger links to it, something that stands out more than the current announcement system

i mean whats wrong with this country when a thread like this gets more views or this

than a debate on the future of this country?

/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I had kinda assumed that this would be run like a spoken debate; ie. Each poster gets 1 post; as the debate progresses, posters rebut what has previously been said and the last two posters summarise what has been said. Or maybe each poster could get two posts; one for substantive material and one for rebuttal. At least this way, posters are forced to address only what they consider the most important points and address each other, rather than creating walls of text.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I always knew tuesday would be difficult due to me filming til midnight and working til 9am the next morning, but I had planned when I put my name forward to do alot of work over the weekend beforehand in the private forum and focus primarily on picking up key issues and elaborating them where I could etc.

The Delay threw me and making tuesday the first day rather then the second just made it worse for me :(

tips for future debates (not criticisms mind you)

Allow the private yes/no forums to open earlier, give a week at least, working together as a team is as important as individual ability. Consider how broken up the issues where in the debate just gone the only sign of cooperation between speakers was a brief backing up of FutureTaoiseach's response to Nesf by Randomname2. Aside from that every other speaker was speaking from a diferent script. We had a random speaker on just fishing which personnally just threw me in its randomness (and that all he had said still migrated into one of FT's posts).

Secondly consider whether there should be questions or not. While some issues for debating would suit better without questions, Lisbon would have suited, due to its diverse nature a series of questions. One released each day of the debate, starting more general and getting more specific with each day, so the last one would require accurate quick responses over a short period of time.

Editing posts. Should not be allowed full stop. I was guilty of it in my last post. But editing posts is a sneaky way of getting around the post count limit and can be abused.

I am not accusing of anyone of abusing them in this debate, but the debate has longer more rounded posts which take time to dismantle and construct a well suited response. Making such a response to a post only to find that it has doubled in length and touches on new issues or has changed sources or has removed bias sources is not productive. It requires me then to either edit my post in response or post a new post on the new issue. It just looks untidy.

Finally I agree with the post count limit, especially if you dont have questions to direct the debate. There is normally a time limit to each speaker, there should equally be a word limit here. It encoruges debators to focus on key issues and consider presentation.

FutureTaoiseachts first post was by far his best because it was on three issues, each one had a paragraph and a quote and it was relatively easy to read. Short, to the point and supported.

Ater that it got messy, I'm not saying he didnt bring up bad points, but it was very dificult to work out when one point ended and another started, especially when some points get repeated across posts.

Overall though, thank you for your time I'm off home to Tipp now to play beatles rock band with my sister and mother and to vote tomorrow.

And remember dont vote with your brain, dont vote with your heart.

vote with both of them. Know what you are voting on and why you are voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Dr Pepper wrote: »
    If the objective here was to try and enlighten your average boardster and help one to make up one's mind, I would think it has failed miserably. If the objective was to try and pin down the exact legal implications of the treaty, it has probably also failed (although I'm not following it any more so I can't say for sure). So, what is the objective? What has been or is likely to be achieved? Sorry to be negative and putting the whole thing down. I was enthusiastic about it before it started.. :o

Maybe this futility of the debate is why a couple of parties haven't contributed?? Have they decided that there is no point?

Largely, although real life has also intervened very heavily. I keep meaning to post, but I haven't time to write anything in response to 5 pages of obfuscation. Some of the posts are already a good deal less clear than the Treaty.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I wish FT would use paragraphs, his posts are just large blocks of unreadable text so I just tend to skip past them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

turgon wrote: »
    Fair dues to Blitzkrieg. His last two posts have shown him to be a rational debater who is crucially able to support his points with wide varieties of sources.
    A wide variety of sources?

On Page 1 i did a quick count, Blitzkrieg put up 8 sources.
    FutureTaoiseach. 20+ ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    so thats it over? (my last post was 3 minutes after the deadline so I assume its disqualified)

Doesn't it end tonight? :confused:

Advertisement