Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Broomwagon (off topic chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Front-page innumeracy.

scaled.php?tn=0&server=619&filename=7bsem.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Maybe there used be two thirds of a bar in a pack.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Maybe there used be two thirds of a bar in a pack.

It's a cunning ploy, they knew someone would pick up on their numerical inaccuracy and post it on interweb forums, probably get post of the day over YLYL and that's some advert guys job done.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I'm a patsy, an unwitting pawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Front-page innumeracy.

scaled.php?tn=0&server=619&filename=7bsem.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Not only can they not count and do percentage very well, given that there have always been 2 bars in the pack, they have increased nothing.
    I am contemplating sending a complaint to the relevant authorities for misleading advertising.

• Advertisement

I bet "Nature Valley" is some poxy industrial estate too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ROK ON wrote: »
    Not only can they not count and do percentage very well, given that there have always been 2 bars in the pack, they have increased nothing. I am contemplating sending a complaint to the relevant authorities for misleading advertising.

You gotta take 'em down hard. I like a man who has the skills to count cake-related produce and isn't afraid to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

ROK ON wrote: »
    Not only can they not count and do percentage very well, given that there have always been 2 bars in the pack, they have increased nothing.
    I am contemplating sending a complaint to the relevant authorities for misleading advertising.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9XuxkyxsBqhPwTX2MxPc05w2NnfhzOllpIDpSTHrubtevahMQ9A
    Homer: All you can eat--hah!
    Hutz: Mr. Simpson, this is the most blatant case of fraudulent advertising since my suit against the film, “The Never-Ending Story.”
    Homer: Do you think I have a case?
    Hutz: Now, Homer, I don't use the term “hero” very often. But you are the greatest hero in American history.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

I'm growing increasingly infuriated at the commuters who speed through crowds of pedestrians while they have the green man. My OAP father and a pregnant friend both have had close calls. This morning I was actually shouting at people... is there any cure for this before I start chasing people down and pushing them off their bikes? Or else I was thinking of packing a paintball gun in the mornings. Red pellets only, naturally.

buffalo wrote: »
    is there any cure for this before I start chasing people down and pushing them off their bikes?

Give it a try and see how it feels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

This morning I was actually shouting at people... is there any cure for this before I start chasing people down and pushing them off their bikes?

I've taken recently to occasionally telling people, in the crudest terms, what I think of them.

My OAP father and a pregnant friend

Go Buffalo's Da!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I was cycling up Parnell Street towards O'Connell Street earlier this week. The lights were in my favour. I spotted a mother holding the hand of a child and walking her across the far side of the road. For some reason I knew she wouldn't look when she came to cross my side of the road. As I get closer she's walking across without looking. As I get to within inches of them I slow down and she's a little taken aback. I stopped, shook my head from side to side and moved off.

As I was cycling away all I could hear was 'You can shake your head all you like.......'.

Seriously, if I hadn't of been watching out for eejits like her I could easily have run into her and her child, who happened to be the on the left side of her mother which was the side I would have hit them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Ive got a polar cs200 and recently the battery in the computer has died after 2 years service. I've replaced it 3 times now and each have only lasted a week or so before dying. Anyone got any ideas ? Send it over to someone in Polar ? or be happy i got 2 years out of it and write it off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Is this a button cell you're talking about? Maybe the puter has got wet and is draining the battery. Maybe a go of a hair dryer (medium heat for 1 hour) or in an oven at ~50 degrees might dry it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

As I was cycling away all I could hear was 'You can shake your head all you like.......'.
    Did you hear what the ending was? I am trying to figure out what she could possibly have ended it with.

'You can shake your head all you like.....

but I will never learn
    but I will never be responsible for my child.

I was wondering what people do shout out, I am always tempted to roar abuse but don't want them going off thinking I am the one at fault. Last time I had 2 women walking side by side down the cycletrack on the N11, (back to me of course), I just repeatedly roared out HELLO, HELLO, and they copped it and got out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

rubadub wrote: »
    Did you hear what the ending was? I am trying to figure out what she could possibly have ended it with.

'You can shake your head all you like.....

but I will never learn
    but I will never be responsible for my child.

I was wondering what people do shout out, I am always tempted to roar abuse but don't want them going off thinking I am the one at fault. Last time I had 2 women walking side by side down the cycletrack on the N11, (back to me of course), I just repeatedly roared out HELLO, HELLO, and they copped it and got out of the way.

I'm afraid I didn't hang around to hear what it was but I wouldn't imagine it was an admission of error on her part!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

anyone notice the number of threads recently, both in adverts and in main forum, mentioning winter bikes/winter training/winter gear?

am i the only one holding out hope for an indian summer??

or just being naive?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

G rock wrote: »
    anyone notice the number of threads recently, both in adverts and in main forum, mentioning winter bikes/winter training/winter gear?

or just being naive?

winter-is-coming-meme-generator-winter-is-coming-301014.jpg

or just being naive?

Don't worry.

warmwinter.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Has this been posted yet? A search tells me it's in Motors, but not here.

Driving Through Dublin c.1982, on Vimeo.

Grafton Street not pedestrianised, no Ardilaun Centre (the office development surrounding the Unitarian Church on Stephen's Green), no Merrion Centre, gaping holes in Blackrock...

Road surfaces do look well though.

Edit: I keep trying to turn it around a la Google Streetview when it's paused- frustrating! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

I was cycling up Parnell Street towards O'Connell Street earlier this week. The lights were in my favour. I spotted a mother holding the hand of a child and walking her across the far side of the road. For some reason I knew she wouldn't look when she came to cross my side of the road. As I get closer she's walking across without looking. As I get to within inches of them I slow down and she's a little taken aback. I stopped, shook my head from side to side and moved off.

Seriously, if I hadn't of been watching out for eejits like her I could easily have run into her and her child, who happened to be the on the left side of her mother which was the side I would have hit them on.
    Something about that street makes everyone just turn blind. It's incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭furiousox

Hmmm......55 euro from ze kraftwerk shop....

kraftteexx6.jpg

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

or just being naive?
    If you wait till oct/nov to buy winter gear you wont have as great a selection, best to get in early.

It was like teh motor forum last nov and everyone looking for winter tyres long after they were sold out everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

RT @StephenRocheTDC:

Sometimes when it hurts you should try going faster - it will probably hurt more but at least you'll be going faster

kennyb3 wrote: »
    It was like teh motor forum last nov and everyone looking for winter tyres long after they were sold out everywhere

I have Nokian winter tyres on my car (since July) and studded tyres in the shed for my winter bicycle.

This will guarantee that there is not a flake of snow this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Beasty wrote: »
    Anyway, when I get back I'm going to invest in a new racer - any suggestions on what I should get - budget anything over €5k?

EDIT: No begging letters, thanks

What about a Colnago C59 Nero? I'd seriously love one of them.

c59-italia-nero-e1308726615965.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

For a moment there, I thought he was speaking into a microphone, but now I see he's actually speaking into the hilt of his upturned sword.

winter-is-coming-meme-generator-winter-is-coming-301014.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Raam wrote: »
    What about a Colnago C59 Nero? I'd seriously love one of them.

c59-italia-nero-e1308726615965.jpg

Thank you. That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

You should have gone back and bi*ch slapped her so hard so that she couldn't turn her head left and then left her with the line "You obviously don't need the ability to turn your head left..."

Not really though, but a nice thought :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement