Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Footage: Killarney Lake Monster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I think you have to investigate the habitat of this area and then deduce which creature could have caused the disturbances in the water.As for me,Im not sure whether or not cormorants and otters inhabit this or similar areas-to the googleing machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

For clarification could people post the time stamp of the video where they believe this "thing" is happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 richards6

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I'm thinking boards meet stalking session weekend - in search of better proof/imagery....

I am going to take a spin up just to have a gander. Whether it is a bird, otter or cormorant, it is still a cool video, with lovely commentary, and it made me want to believe.

Sure fresh air never hurt anyone, and its a good excuse for a day out with the kiddies

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

Cormorants are quite common on inland lakes, especially towards Autumn/Winter months!
    Also, im thinking the commentary might add more credence then is deserved!
    Theres nothing out of the ordinary here guys!
    Maybe its not a bird, but its certainly nothing out of the ordinary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

it's a coot or whatever they're called,can see it quite easily in the video

• Advertisement

baaaa wrote: »
    it's a coot or whatever they're called,can see it quite easily in the video

You can make it out in a compressed video which simply does not contain the actual information or detail to make it out. Wow, thats impressive.

ha?the wake is the same as a coot makes taking off and the wings appear to be those of a coot..it's clearly visible as a bird,or am i seeing things

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

ifl

and the earlier double trail was just 2 coots swimming across the surface,one ahead of the other,or else a monster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

and the earlier double trail was just 2 coots swimming across the surface,one ahead of the other,or else a monster

Deffo a monster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

ha?the wake is the same as a coot makes taking off and the wings appear to be those of a coot..it's clearly visible as a bird,or am i seeing things
    no i think your right a coot... [time stamp 6;10 til the end]..
    i also think their is something else that i cant see... in this vid.

the footage is not great in my opinion....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

I'm not going to go as far as to guess what kind, but it does appear to be a bird.

In fairness, it's not even that big a lake. It's not like a monster would have much of a chance of keeping itself hidden from view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

nummnutts wrote: »
    I'm not going to go as far as to guess what kind, but it does appear to be a bird.

In fairness, it's not even that big a lake. It's not like a monster would have much of a chance of keeping itself hidden from view.

What are the dimensions on the lake?

As for the vid, I think it's interesting, but that's as far as I'm going for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

Some good proof in that video, but they should seriously consider getting a camera stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

VinnyTGM wrote: »
    Some good proof in that video, but they should seriously consider getting a camera stand.

Yep, proof that birds and fish inhabit the lake!

And that selective audio editing is in fact, fairly suspect.

And that a distinguished accent makes anything sound plausible.

AND, that if you leave enough holes in a piece of evidence or footage, people will fill in the gaps!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

VinnyTGM wrote: »
    i was thinking of that myself last nite while reading.
    but i'll say notting til i hear more......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

richards6 wrote: »
    I am going to take a spin up just to have a gander. Whether it is a bird, otter or cormorant, it is still a cool video, with lovely commentary, and it made me want to believe.

Sure fresh air never hurt anyone, and its a good excuse for a day out with the kiddies

I see from the Star 'newspaper' today they're already investigating - the 'bait' is a string of sausages!

Realtine wrote: »
    I see from the Star 'newspaper' today they're already investigating - the 'bait' is a string of sausages!

Anyone have a copy of this they can scan or send to me? (Obviously I'll pay for any postage).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Realtine wrote: »

They should look for government funding for such a project.

A string of sausages may just coax that beast from the murky depths but I have yet to hear of a monster that can refuse the offer of 2 strings of sausages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Id head down to Killarney for two strings of sausages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Id head down to Killarney for two strings of sausages.

I'd second that!

But in all seriousness, Its obviously fungi's replacement, and where the Kerry Corpo. keep their spare fungi's just in case the other in Dingle croke's, which over the years probably has :)

And its being trained very well since it surfaces when cameras are around! Tis awful business keeping him in a small ickle lake doh.

Do the Sausages have to be cooked ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

People need to keep in mind that the lake had no official fish surveys done on it until 6 or 7 years ago.

Up to that point locals were talking about a giant serpent like beast which they called Muckie.

From the POV of someone who have a pretty open mind, but who also spends a lot of time on and around water fishing, especially lake fishing including the lake in question. It has a healthy population of ferox trout, which basically are brown trout which turn cannibal and end up growing to unusual sizes as they switch from eating insects to eating other fish.

It also has a good population of char, ordinary brown trout, salmon, eel, and a few species of smaller fish.

While an outsized eel is not beyond the realms of possibility, the way whatever that it moves through the water is wrong for an eel. I would have leaned towards either an unusually large ferox trout hunting near the surface, which would cause smaller fish to jump, or a large otter chasing fish.

The splashes on the surface from the jumping fish look about right for fish in the 2lbs to 3 lbs bracket with the last splash being from something closer to the 8lbs bracket.

Ferox Trout have been caught to 26lbs by rod in this country, and can be three feet long at that point and capable of leaving a large wake, an unusually large one could look very siimilar to what was seen in that footage.

I take the cormorant comment onboard also, but I think the wake and trail looks like it was caused by something larger than a cormoront, hence me leaning towards a huge ferox.

Interestingly the lake I normally fish on, Lough Derg, has a very similar monster story as Muckross. With a large creature/fish spotted many times down through the years. Lough Derg also has some very big Ferox trout in it, as well as pike that grow even bigger, and it a much larger body of water than the Killarney lakes as it is over 40km in length.

Lough Ree is another that has had something reported in it also.

What is interesting also is the fact that Muckross lake and Loch Ness have almost the same species of fish in them, and both lakes share characteristics like similar depths and similar average water temps.

In the first series of fish surveys held at Muckross they did get some hits on the radar, one was stupidly big and I have no doubt that it was some anomoly as it picked up something that had similar dimensions to a large whale, and something that size would not stay hidden in a lake that has a max depth of about 200 feet. But they also have a number of smaller hits over the years with things that were larger than what is normally found in Irish freshwaters, ranging from about 4 feet in length to about 6 feet in length.

So Muckross, Ree and Ness, I do think that there may be something in them, but I think it will turn out to be a similar species in each case, and one that has grown unusually big due to the lack of a natural predator on it.

In the case of Derg I think it is a very big pike, as Derg is a much shallower lake that the others, and as such has a higher water temp all year round, which promotes more growth in the larger fish species as there is a faster growth rate in the bait fish and insects due to the extra heat.

Steve Altan's book "The Loch" touches on the giant eel theory, and while a lot of what he wrote was purely for the storyline (including putting two large dead conger eel, a saltwater eel that grows really big, on the shores of loch Ness as a hoax.), there is some potential for some of his ideas in that book to be fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

cormorant11.th.jpg

Whoever said bird wins [probably cormorant].

The original videographer had the gain set too high on the cam. Once you adjust for that, presto. You can see birds flying from the water.

Good post Kess73, any links to articles on the other lake monsters you refer to?

squod wrote: »
    cormorant11.th.jpg

Whoever said bird wins [probably cormorant].

The original videographer had the gain set too high on the cam. Once you adjust for that, presto. You can see birds flying from the water.

That could be anything, it is vaguely bird shaped, just like a lot of photos are of vaguely bigfoot shapes and vaguely UFO shapes, you need to do a bit more than that to nail down the bird hypothesis!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Good post Kess73, any links to articles on the other lake monsters you refer to?

I got it in a book I have about Irish ghosts, legend, and myths. It has a chapter on lake monsters in it.

I will dig out the book later and get it's proper title and who wrote it.

What I will say also is that water (and the imagination of the person viewing) magnifies anything in it, so say a person was to see a four foot pike that was swimming three feet below the surface. Chances are that the fish would appear to be about six foot to them.

I remember when I first started cage diving and I saw my first great white up close. I thought it was massive and about 18 feet long. I was astounding by it's size. Afterwards when we were out of the cage I was informed that it was only about 12 feet long.

The majority of people who do not come into contact with unusual animals a lot, in fact in most situations, would be very bad at guessing a length or weight until they become more experienced at it.

I have always liked the idea of a giant eel in Lock Ness for example. And I have argued that biologically it is possible for an eel or eels to reach that size. But I tend to lean towards either a giant ferox trout or pike for most of the Irish lake monsters. My logic behind that is there are a large number of Irish lakes that have had sightings, from hundreds of years ago to more recent times, and nearly all the lakes where these sightings have happened are now lakes that are well known for having very big pike in them, so it is not beyond the relms of possibility that when those sightings happened that there were much larger pike there than nowadays as the waters back then would not have been fished like they have been for the last hundred years

But there is an interesting alternative, and one that has been found, although rarely, in British waters and there would be no reason why it could not find it's way into Irish waters.

And that is a Sturgeon. They grow to massive sizes, both in length and weight. There are mostly a freshwater species.

Below is a picture of one caught by rod, and it is by no means a giant by sturgeon standards as they can grow to more than twice that one's length and many times it's weight. They often swim just below the surface and create huge wakes and one that rolled near the surfaces would defo look like the traditional Nessie hump, but generally spend more time on the bottom than near the surface so there would not be regular sightings of them especially if they were in small numbers.

monster_sturgeon_004_cropped.jpg

SlowMo, there is a list of lake monster etc here: http://www.6thsensitive.com/articles.html

Theres also a google map I made linked from that page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

That could be anything, it is vaguely bird shaped, just like a lot of photos are of vaguely bigfoot shapes and vaguely UFO shapes, you need to do a bit more than that to nail down the bird hypothesis!

Interseting comment. I have done, can't repost shed loads of frames containing screenshots of the said bird. Any fool can do as I've done. Don't take my word for it, do this for youself. I used three of Nero9s' simplest tools to try to undo what the videographer did.

• Advertisement

squod wrote: »
    I used three of Nero9s' simplest tools to try to undo what the videographer did.

But its compressed footage. You do realize that, right?

Advertisement