Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Footage: Killarney Lake Monster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Oh and for those that are who might think claims of Godzillaesque proportions are being made Jon Downes (the commentator) believes it may be a giant eel which by cryptozological standards is pretty cool. Sightings/claims of lake monsters (giant eels) in Ireland isnt unheard of which you can see by my google map of cryptids in Ireland - http://www.6thsensitive.com/articles.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

Very, very interesting, whatever it is!

WellI hope to get my hands on a copy of the footage (not youtube quality) and will talk to Ronan today. Btw he's author of The Dictionary of Cryptozoology and a number of other books on Cryptozoology, Mythology and Fortean subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I'm thinking boards meet stalking session weekend - in search of better proof/imagery....I have the right equipment to get a decent photograph from that distance and would have no problem going to Killarney for a weekend in hope of getting conclusive proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Jesus thats mad

• Advertisement

well i'd be up for a trip down at some stage but so much to do to get ready for the convention that i couldn't give a whole weekend to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Cool video.The scenery is lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Whatever it was, it was going really fast! When you consider how far out they zoomed in from... amazing.

I remember reading about Doc Sheils in the Fortean Times years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

When i first saw this i thought it was a bird skimming along the water which is not unusual. You can even make out what looks like wings flapping

faceman wrote: »
    When i first saw this i thought it was a bird skimming along the water which is not unusual. You can even make out what looks like wings flapping

If you listen to the commentary you see early on that they point out a bird and its tiny compared to the later movement. Also the wake curves and has anyone ever see a bird take off from water in anythign other than a traight line?

Now I'm not saying its a giant eel but going by size and movement I dont think its a bird. I think its something in the water and may very well be a fish.

That said people remember we are looking at compressed video so anything we think we see is just a guess based on poor video. I'll be waiting til I see proper footage.

Also there was a survey carried (by Irish Char Conservation Group) out in the lake a few years back following more sightings: http://www.charr.org/news/muckrossmonster.htm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

6th wrote: »
    If you listen to the commentary you see early on that they point out a bird and its tiny compared to the later movement. Also the wake curves and has anyone ever see a bird take off from water in anythign other than a traight line?

Now I'm not saying its a giant eel but going by size and movement I dont think its a bird. I think its something in the water and may very well be a fish.

Actually I completely forgot about that bit at the start.
    Im not that au fait with flora and fauna in Ireland, I wonder if they had a wildlife guru look at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

faceman wrote: »

I agree! Its feet trailing in the water would leave the wake, as seen!

And its by no means uncommon for birds to change direction in such a manner, even shortly after take off!

I ve never seen a bird flying with its feet skimming across the water for a prolonged period of time.They usually only do this for a few seconds whilst taking off or landing.

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    I ve never seen a bird flying with its feet skimming across the water for a prolonged period of time.They usually only do this for a few seconds whilst taking off or landing.

Not to be curt but, I have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Reckon it's an Alligator Gar fish myself.

http://fishing.about.com/od/bowfinandgar/a/alligator_gar.htm

Its funny but no surprising that on one side you've people saying it "is" a bird and on the other side you've people saying they dont know what it is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Can't say I would agree that the movement to the right of the Island near the end is a bird, its moving very fast and looks to be under water, I'd say a large fish

6th wrote: »
    Its funny but no surprising that on one side you've people saying it "is" a bird and on the other side you've people saying they dont know what it is :D

What about people who think its most likely a bird, and nothing cryptozoological?

Its just that any time a video like this surfaces, its always grainy or shaky, or as in this case, shot from a large distance away!

Gets a bit repetitive.

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Reckon it's an Alligator Gar fish myself.

http://fishing.about.com/od/bowfinandgar/a/alligator_gar.htm

:pac:

i think its the giant Carassius auratus of lore!

I was thinking more along the lines of an otter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

leddpipe wrote: »
    What about people who think its most likely a bird, and nothing cryptozoological?

Its just that any time a video like this surfaces, its always grainy or shaky, or as in this case, shot from a large distance away!

Gets a bit repetitive.

A large eel is cryptozoological?

Nobody's saying it's an actual monster.. just, nobody really knows what it is.

An otter is actually a decent explanation, surprised no one thought of it before leddpipe.

liah wrote: »
    A large eel is cryptozoological?

Nobody's saying it's an actual monster.. just, nobody really knows what it is.

An otter is actually a decent explanation, surprised no one thought of it before leddpipe.

Ok, so extra-zoological then, happy? :rolleyes:

And I didnt suggest an otter!

I am now convinced its just a bird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

leddpipe wrote: »
    Ok, so extra-zoological then, happy? :rolleyes:

And I didnt suggest an otter!

I am now convinced its just a bird!

Whoops, meant bigeasyeah. Scrolled up quick and didn't pay attention. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭TechFreak

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    I was thinking more along the lines of an otter.

After looking again at the footage I think you nailed it exactly.

All I'm saying is people are saying its this or that based on a compressed video. I'll hold off til I see the full video in person, you know ... make an informed discission? There is a lot going on in the video.

I'm half hoping its Louis Walsh on a jet powered water ski! Now that would be weird! :D

I know there is apparently a population of American Mink as well as otters around lakes in Killarney. Its believed the American Mink population arose after people began realising them into the wild.

If any of these were farm breed mink theres a could chance that there may be some white mink down there.

I analysed the footage and did a spectural anaylsis frame by frame.....

and I found this !

TechFreak wrote: »
    I analysed the footage and did a spectural anaylsis frame by frame.....

and I found this !

fekkin brilliant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 centimental

Cormorants!!

• Advertisement

Cormorants!!

My thoughts exactly!

Advertisement