Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Footage: Killarney Lake Monster

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

6th wrote: »
    But its compressed footage. You do realize that, right?

The file is in .flv format at about 320 lines. The actual problem is the videographer had the gain turned up or just turned on. When he clearly didn't need to. (He didn't need to be so far away either).

This gave a false sense of low contrast in the video. As I said any fool could do as I've done, so please, don't take my word for it. Try it for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

I'm going down there on saturday.I'll take some video while I cisit the lake.6th do you know anything else on Kilarney as a place, if so could you pm me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

squod wrote: »
    Interseting comment. I have done, can't repost shed loads of frames containing screenshots of the said bird. Any fool can do as I've done. Don't take my word for it, do this for youself. I used three of Nero9s' simplest tools to try to undo what the videographer did.

I wasn't having a go squire;) Just pointing out that without seeing the original uncompressed footage as 6th mentioned earlier it is hard to come up with a concrete explanation of what is there!

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    I'm going down there on saturday.I'll take some video while I cisit the lake.6th do you know anything else on Kilarney as a place, if so could you pm me

If it's possible to take a boat tour do, the guides on the last one I took told me how deep it was in places, up to 250ft at the base of Torc waterfall, in Muckross lake.

Lough leane is the largest lakes at 19 square kilometers with a maximum depth of 200ft. This lake holds some of the rarest species of fish in the country.

I wasn't having a go squire;) Just pointing out that without seeing the original uncompressed footage as 6th mentioned earlier it is hard to come up with a concrete explanation of what is there!

I didn't mean to come across as someone offended. My apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Good post Kess73, any links to articles on the other lake monsters you refer to?

Irish Ghosts Stories by Patrick Byrnes is the first book I found during my rummage through my book collection.

It is a collection of various sightings in Ireland, and has a lake monster chapter in it that has sightings from Lough Derg, and many other Clare lakes, as well as the lakes mentioned.

In the book it is Crow Island that gets the most mentions for sightings on Lough Derg.

There was a large flurry of sightings in the 1960's and 1970's. With the creature being described as being black/blue in colour and quite long, leaving a wake as it moved under the surface.

To go back to my giant pike theory for sightings from decades, even hundreds of years ago.

The below picture is of a pike caught in Holland, it is not a record breaker, but gives an idea of size. Now the record rod caught fish is a bit heavier and longer, and skeleton remains have shown that much bigger fish were present in the last hundred years, with evidence of six and seven foot fish. Who is to say that there are still not some giants around nowadays when four footers are still being caught today?

Northern02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Jimimy, that pike certainly would qualify as a lake monster! Wild swimmers watch out!

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭fiacha

I've spent a lot of time wildfowling and fishing on Irish loughs. I have often seen ducks (individuals and small groups) and cormorants "skimming" the surface for long distances. The bird seen taking off from the lough in a curved path looks like a cormorant to me.

I was very interested in the two objects moving from the island to the shore on the right of the frame (4m10s). It's a pity that the camera pans away just as they are about to reach the shore and possibly reveal themselves.

I don't envy anyone trying to make sense of this video as water/wind/currents and nature have a habit of playing tricks on our minds ;)

I don't consider myself to be a sceptic, but nothing on this video looks out of the ordinary to me.

Great forum btw, some very interesting threads here.

Advertisement