Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Looking for the name of a movie from the 70s. It was one of those efforts of futuristic ****e. It was on the Friday night horror section on sky 1 in the early 90s. It was very strange and at one point I remember that the characters were actually some kids toy dolls. Also something about a microwave. I definitely wasn't tripping as I was only about 10.

Could it be Xtro?Theres a scene in that where a kids action man figure grows to life size and kills someone,lot of weird stuff in it that makes no sense.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086610/

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ianhmoore

Looking for the name of a movie from the 70s. It was one of those efforts of futuristic ****e. It was on the Friday night horror section on sky 1 in the early 90s. It was very strange and at one point I remember that the characters were actually some kids toy dolls. Also something about a microwave. I definitely wasn't tripping as I was only about 10.

Crap I remember that movie, it was on the Deadly Ernest Horror Show. Childs Play, from the Hammer House of mystery and horror, 1984. You can find it on youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

What was the name of the movie where Micheal Caine (a young Micheal Caine) shouts something like (after they blew up a car)

"You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off"!! ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

What was the name of the movie where Micheal Caine (a young Micheal Caine) shouts something like (after they blew up a car)

The Italian Job.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Beaten to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

I'm looking for the name of movie where this guy is a screenwriter and he teaches a writing class at a college or university. It came out in the 2010s, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

764dak wrote: »
    I'm looking for the name of movie where this guy is a screenwriter and he teaches a writing class at a college or university. It came out in the 2010s, I think.

The Rewrite?
    While We're Young? (I know Ben Stiller is a documentary maker in it but he is a lecturer in it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

The Rewrite?
    While We're Young? (I know Ben Stiller is a documentary maker in it but he is a lecturer in it.)

Thanks, I was looking for The Rewrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭maccydoodies

ianhmoore wrote: »
    Crap I remember that movie, it was on the Deadly Ernest Horror Show. Childs Play, from the Hammer House of mystery and horror, 1984. You can find it on youtube.

Thanks so much for that. Anybody I spoke to all these years about that movie thought I was nuts.

Thanks so much for that. Anybody I spoke to all these years about that movie thought I was nuts.

Glad I could help, finding this forum to be a great way to discover those long lost movies from yesteryear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 CatHerder

I seen a movie a long time ago and there is a scene that sticks in my mind. I'd love to know what movie it is so I can watch it again.

The scene is where a man is remembering something from his childhood. An episode with his mother on the front porch. The scene is portrayed like it was filmed on eight millimeter. He is on a front porch of a house. The house seems to be isolated in a wide-open plain, miles from anywhere. I think his mother was putting his coat on him, and dancing around gleefully on the porch. His mother is a young mother. There may be the sound of wind blowing but no spoken lines.

I don't think I see the whole movie but I remember this scene as a marvelous portrayal of nostalgia. Would love to see it again. Any help appreciated.

I'm sure this was part of a TV series rather than a film,I saw it on the telly circa mid 80s.Its just one scene in particular I remember so not sure if it was representative of the whole thing but it took place in a boarding school and was set in about the 1920s.The scene involved a fight between two boys who were fighting each other with sticks,with a big crowd of other boys looking on.One of the two got the other guy on the ground and hit him with the stick causing yer man to roll around on the ground in pain.The next scene I remember had the whole school gathered before the headmaster who was saying something to the effect of "earlier,two boys were fighting with sticks,with sticks."The way he emphasised sticks the second time was like he was saying how theyd brought shame on the school for fighting in such an uncivilised manner.Next scene had the two lads who were fighting being caned.This is all I can remember of it,anyone know what it was?

Edit:forgot to mention it was a British setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

darkdubh wrote: »
    I'm sure this was part of a TV series rather than a film,I saw it on the telly circa mid 80s.Its just one scene in particular I remember so not sure if it was representative of the whole thing but it took place in a boarding school and was set in about the 1920s.The scene involved a fight between two boys who were fighting each other with sticks,with a big crowd of other boys looking on.One of the two got the other guy on the ground and hit him with the stick causing yer man to roll around on the ground in pain.The next scene I remember had the whole school gathered before the headmaster who was saying something to the effect of "earlier,two boys were fighting with sticks,with sticks."The way he emphasised sticks the second time was like he was saying how theyd brought shame on the school for fighting in such an uncivilised manner.Next scene had the two lads who were fighting being caned.This is all I can remember of it,anyone know what it was?

Edit:forgot to mention it was a British setting.

Could it be "To Serve Them All My Days" - set post WW1. Made in 1980s starring John Duttine.

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Could it be "To Serve Them All My Days" - set post WW1. Made in 1980s starring John Duttine.

I was half thinking it could have been that,I did see I think the whole series when they repeated it on RTE in the early 90s and don't recall a scene like that in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

CatHerder wrote: »
    I seen a movie a long time ago and there is a scene that sticks in my mind. I'd love to know what movie it is so I can watch it again.

The scene is where a man is remembering something from his childhood. An episode with his mother on the front porch. The scene is portrayed like it was filmed on eight millimeter. He is on a front porch of a house. The house seems to be isolated in a wide-open plain, miles from anywhere. I think his mother was putting his coat on him, and dancing around gleefully on the porch. His mother is a young mother. There may be the sound of wind blowing but no spoken lines.

I don't think I see the whole movie but I remember this scene as a marvelous portrayal of nostalgia. Would love to see it again. Any help appreciated.

Not very much to go on there in fairness. Can you remember anything else at all.

The rough year? Was in black and white? Etc.

Also, was he in the same spot at the present time, that he was remembering being with his mother in the past?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Only one scene I can remember from a film, maybe from the 1980s?

It's a kind of dream sequence I think. There's an American teenage boy singing badly on The Gong Show and he gets the Gong. The star of the film, an older man in his forties/fifties then appears and berates the audience for taking pleasure in his embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Only one scene I can remember from a film, maybe from the 1980s?

It's a kind of dream sequence I think. There's an American teenage boy singing badly on The Gong Show and he gets the Gong. The star of the film, an older man in his forties/fifties then appears and berates the audience for taking pleasure in his embarrassment.

Just in case, there is a "The Gong Show Movie"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Riskymove wrote: »
    Just in case, there is a "The Gong Show Movie"

Yeah so I saw, but it's not that. I'm fairly sure that that scene is the only time The Gong Show is actually mentioned in the film, although the film in general might be about showbiz/failing at showbiz.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,306 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind?

Skerries wrote: »
    Confessions of a Dangerous Mind?

Brilliant, that's the one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭jamesieliz

this is fairly limited description i'm afraid ;
    was watching a movie sometime in the mid/late 90s on tv , the scene i remember watching was about some guys who come back to their camp and find that someone (something?) has performed what looks like autopsies on their horses ..not sure if there was an alien vibe about the movie or what ...i don't think it was a western movie , think it was set in modern era , just that the guys had gone camping or working in wilderness with horses ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Maxwelled

All I can remember of the film was the lead male had a large dark desk, with a voice interface computer, that was housed in blue glowing pillars, to the side of the desk. 1980 film I would think. Any input would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sphynxinatron

Hi, I just joined and I'm not sure if this horror movie has been identified. I saw it on TV, so I'm not sure if it had a theatrical run. The "look" of the film was very 90ish, and had the following elements:
    -An old, ugly, eye patch wearing narrator which seemed to be in some prison. He looked like an old monk or something. He narrated the story from that cell. At the end of the film, he is dying from some disease, coughing blood, and some priest is trying to give him his last rites or something. The eye patch monk responded with something like "go to hell father" or something like that.
    -For the movie itself, it featured a western looking young woman with his father, in a middle-eastern setting. I remember a scene in which the young woman visits some sort of erotic club with Arabic dancers.
    -Also, she later gets romantically involved with some kind of Arab prince/sultan; I’m not sure, which in one scene is nude, riding a horse in a beach. This guy is the main villain, he decapitates the woman's father, and that’s what I remember. It was basically a slasher film set in the Middle East or somewhere near.
    As you can tell, I don't remember almost anything from the plot, but the eye patch-narrator character fascinated me.
    Sorry for the vagueness of the description, and thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Also, she later gets romantically involved with some kind of Arab prince/sultan; I’m not sure, which in one scene is nude, riding a horse in a beach.

Animal Farm?

Hi, I just joined and I'm not sure if this horror movie has been identified. I saw it on TV, so I'm not sure if it had a theatrical run. The "look" of the film was very 90ish, and had the following elements:
    -An old, ugly, eye patch wearing narrator which seemed to be in some prison. He looked like an old monk or something. He narrated the story from that cell. At the end of the film, he is dying from some disease, coughing blood, and some priest is trying to give him his last rites or something. The eye patch monk responded with something like "go to hell father" or something like that.
    -For the movie itself, it featured a western looking young woman with his father, in a middle-eastern setting. I remember a scene in which the young woman visits some sort of erotic club with Arabic dancers.
    -Also, she later gets romantically involved with some kind of Arab prince/sultan; I’m not sure, which in one scene is nude, riding a horse in a beach. This guy is the main villain, he decapitates the woman's father, and that’s what I remember. It was basically a slasher film set in the Middle East or somewhere near.
    As you can tell, I don't remember almost anything from the plot, but the eye patch-narrator character fascinated me.

The bit with the eyepatch narator in the cell sounds very like this one episode of Hamish Macbeth,would have been mid 90s.

Edit:this is the episode.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0595597/?ref_=ttep_ep7

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Animal Farm?

LMAO xD

darkdubh wrote: »
    The bit with the eyepatch narator in the cell sounds very like this one episode of Hamish Macbeth,would have been mid 90s.

No luck yet, but thanks. It seems that was a weird TV movie. I've been trying to find it by plot description in Wikipedia but nothing even close.

Maxwelled wrote: »
    All I can remember of the film was the lead male had a large dark desk, with a voice interface computer, that was housed in blue glowing pillars, to the side of the desk. 1980 film I would think. Any input would be appreciated.

I'll offer 2, either the Original Tron movie, or perhaps sneakers?

Tobe Hoopers Night Terrors, the old guy with the eye patch was Robert Englund, he was supposed to be the Marquis De Sade I think. It was a pretty crap movie.

• Advertisement

ianhmoore wrote: »
    Tobe Hoopers Night Terrors, the old guy with the eye patch was Robert Englund, he was supposed to be the Marquis De Sade I think. It was a pretty crap movie.

Wow man thanks! Finally! It was so many years ago that I watched this, yeah the movie itself was generic slasher stuff, but Englund's character was cool lol. :D

Advertisement