Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I'm trying to identify an old pirate movie. I'm pretty sure it was a comedy. The only thing I remember is someone slipping on some sort of goo/sh*t on the deck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I saw this about 12 years ago and I think it's from the nineties.
    It all happens at night in some US city and the main character is male.
    All he wants to do is go home but everything conspires against him to prevent
    this from happening.
    I really can't remember much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

ThirdMan wrote: »
    I'm trying to identify an old pirate movie. I'm pretty sure it was a comedy. The only thing I remember is someone slipping on some sort of goo/sh*t on the deck.
    Only "comedy" pirate movie I can think of is Pirates (Polanski), with Walter Matthau, but haven't seen it since I was a kid.
    gramar wrote: »
    this from happening.
    Scorsese's After Hours I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

gramar wrote: »
    this from happening.

After Hours?

Darvich wrote: »
    Only "comedy" pirate movie I can think of is Pirates (Polanski), with Walter Matthau, but haven't seen it since I was a kid.

Yeah I'd say that's it alright. Cheers!

Roman Polanski... jaysus, I must have been a cool little f*cker when I was a young lad.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd say that's it alright. Cheers!

Roman Polanski... jaysus, I must have been a cool little f*cker when I was a young lad.

Considering it was the nadir of his career, you probably weren't very cool at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Long shot I know, but being looking for the title of a film I seen many moons ago when I was a kid. It was a black and White movie and I remember it being a comedy (in the Abbot & Costello or even Marx Brothers mould but I don't think it was either of their movies, just like that type of American humour if you know what I mean).

Anyway the main scene I remember is the main guys selling what they have to travel and one of the shall we say more naive members of the group 'invests' it with a con artist who sells him a machine after a demonstration with planted fellow traveller who also invests in a prototypes. The machine worked by inserting money into its rollers and the note that rolls out the other side is the next biggest note (e.g. $5 note becomes $10 etc.) so you would be 'mad' not to invest the money in it. Of course he fell for it. It was set on a train and for the life of me I can't remember any other definite scenes and to be honest I would be merging lots of other movies into one if I start mentioning other scenes. Sorry for the rambling but its being bugging me for a couple of years now. I keep thinking its an Abbott and Costello movie but when I do searches I get nowt.

to add to this, I remember when the two con artists were leaving the train they look back laughing saying 'there's one born every minute', if this is any help to people.

Considering it was the nadir of his career, you probably weren't very cool at all.

Considering I was about ten years old, I probably didn't give a f*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Good thread, i have been trying to find a movie i seen when i was a kid, but can't find anything about it online, im sure it was a movie and not a program, it was about two kids, one was a homeless kid he was coloured, and a white kid who lived at home, they both get up to some mischief including stealing cars, im nearly sure it was called hot shots, anyone remember it?

Edit to add; anyone know if there is a thread like this for forgotten snacks?

Big shots? From 1987
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092655/?ref_=sr_2

Never seen it,but always remember the cover from xtravision

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭scoobydoobie

The Mulk wrote: »
    Big shots? From 1987
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092655/?ref_=sr_2

Never seen it,but always remember the cover from xtravision

Mulk thanks very much, thats the movie alright, i just could not remember the name, been puzzling me for a long time now, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Long shot I know, but being looking for the title of a film I seen many moons ago when I was a kid. It was a black and White movie and I remember it being a comedy (in the Abbot & Costello or even Marx Brothers mould but I don't think it was either of their movies, just like that type of American humour if you know what I mean).

Anyway the main scene I remember is the main guys selling what they have to travel and one of the shall we say more naive members of the group 'invests' it with a con artist who sells him a machine after a demonstration with planted fellow traveller who also invests in a prototypes. The machine worked by inserting money into its rollers and the note that rolls out the other side is the next biggest note (e.g. $5 note becomes $10 etc.) so you would be 'mad' not to invest the money in it. Of course he fell for it. It was set on a train and for the life of me I can't remember any other definite scenes and to be honest I would be merging lots of other movies into one if I start mentioning other scenes. Sorry for the rambling but its being bugging me for a couple of years now. I keep thinking its an Abbott and Costello movie but when I do searches I get nowt.

its not The Marx Brothers 'Go West' is it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032536/?ref_=sr_1

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Trying to find a western that I think was mainly a cattle drive but one of the villians was missing a finger (or fingers) and wore a black glove to hide it. For some reason I thought Richard Widmark was in it but cant see what I'm looking for on IMDB so just thought I'd pop it in here. Havent seen it for about 30 years and it's bugging me :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

its not The Marx Brothers 'Go West' is it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032536/?ref_=sr_1

Now that you mention it, that does sound familar. Found a copy online and will watch it soon. Thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

The movie I'm trying to think of involves a secret agent (i think) who has to launch a missile or start a self destruct sequence. He puts two key cards into a machine and it doesn't work. He sees writing on a wall in front of him that says that both cards have to be inserted at the same time. Because of the distance between the two slots, he has to get one of the guards that he just killed and sit him up in the chair and make up a kind of a pulley system with his arm to insert the cards at the same time. Any ideas?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,189 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The movie I'm trying to think of involves a secret agent (i think) who has to launch a missile or start a self destruct sequence. He puts two key cards into a machine and it doesn't work. He sees writing on a wall in front of him that says that both cards have to be inserted at the same time. Because of the distance between the two slots, he has to get one of the guards that he just killed and sit him up in the chair and make up a kind of a pulley system with his arm to insert the cards at the same time. Any ideas?

I'm sure I've seen this but I can't place it at all :mad:

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm sure I've seen this but I can't place it at all :mad:

I reckon it's superman 3 where a drunk Richard Pryor has to use the guard comatose from drink to help him to turn on a computer.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,189 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I reckon it's superman 3 where a drunk Richard Pryor has to use the guard comatose from drink to help him to turn on a computer.

Yeah that rings a bell for me alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

that's EXACTLY what it is. Well done!

Hi. I'm trying to identify two films that I seen when I was a kid. Both of them are horrors I think, or maybe I was just too young to be watching them!

The first was about a kid who drew a house, and the house appeared in reality. There was also a scene where the kid draws a man, then rubs out his eyes. And when this man appears he's blind. Something like that.

The second is about another kid. He lives inside the walls (i.e. between the blocks) of a house. I think he's hiding from his abusive father. Again, I can't remember much, but it's something like that.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Hi. I'm trying to identify two films that I seen when I was a kid. Both of them are horrors I think, or maybe I was just too young to be watching them!

The first was about a kid who drew a house, and the house appeared in reality. There was also a scene where the kid draws a man, then rubs out his eyes. And when this man appears he's blind. Something like that.

Cheers.

The first one could possibly be this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paperhouse_(film)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

Didn't know this threat existed but I would greatly appreciate help.

I remember seeing this movie a lot as a child but don't know what it's called. The movie involved a relatively young woman with a ginger bob living in an apartment in a city and she meets another young woman with brown hair. I don't remember what happened next but the brown haired girl either moved in with the ginger girl or broke into her apartment and began cutting her hair and dying it into a ginger bob. She was basically trying to assimilate the ginger girls identity.

That's all I remember, I've tried looking everywhere! It's from the late 80s or early 90s I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

wasn't single white female was it?

The second is about another kid. He lives inside the walls (i.e. between the blocks) of a house. I think he's hiding from his abusive father. Again, I can't remember much, but it's something like that.

Cheers.

First one definitely sounds like Paperhouse. A class film.

The other sounds like it could be The People Under the Stairs: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105121/

It would be about as old as Paperhouse although it hasn't aged as well as that film.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

My sentiments exactly. . .

Irish Aris wrote: »
    The first one could possibly be this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paperhouse_(film)
    First one definitely sounds like Paperhouse. A class film.

The other sounds like it could be The People Under the Stairs: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105121/

It would be about as old as Paperhouse although it hasn't aged as well as that film.

Yep, that looks them alright. Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

Yes yes it is! Thank you I never had any idea what to look for

PandaX9 wrote: »
    Yes yes it is! Thank you I never had any idea what to look for

Ah, I thought it Ginger Minger Dead Ringer 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

1 4647-19933.gif

2 162141_137995026269288_137994259602698_41330_1405_b.jpg

3 vlcsnap-5794007.png

4 TP.jpg

1 4647-19933.gif

2 162141_137995026269288_137994259602698_41330_1405_b.jpg

3 vlcsnap-5794007.png

4 TP.jpg

Think you intended those for the Guess the Screenshot thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin