Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

It sounds like Johnny Belinda http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjwFrk2Ke9c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You're a star Ann22, I'd have never found it

That's one added to the watch list
    A classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Yeah it was a good film Mike:)...there was a remake in 1982 with Rosanna Arquette and "John Boy" out of The Waltons.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Mickeroo wrote: »

Atta boy the mickaroo..spot on! Dennis Quaid has been in some class movies

• Registered Users Posts: 30 elbono

There was this animated flash movie a good few years ago made by some irish lads with the title something like " what the english did for ireland" or " a history of ireland"

basically it was full of silliness and shenanigans, talkin about the irish famine etc and how people ate their cousins one line was " chrisht he was handshome" talkin about the cousin they ate.

there was something about cromwell at the end and he was just murderin everyone...

and some guy who got a job in america doin something crap, I can't remember what it was but it was stupid.

the narrator had a kind of duncan stewart voice on him most of the time, nicely silly.

Anyone got an idea where i'd find this? anyone else remember it? I was going to post this in the animation section but felt this might be a better place, please let me know if it should be moved.

Thanks in advance for whatever you guys come up with, the last time i was here someone remembered the man of bronze film... genius!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Ok this is really vague, any help appreciated.
    So the main character has a flashback ( I think ) to when he was a young boy, like 9 or 10. He's in an orphanage and him and the other boys break into the kitchens, or break out into the halls. Anyway he meets up with a young girl in the orphanage and he tries to help her get past a big steel gate seperating the 2 of them. She falls and dies, and his flashback ends.
    It's a memory I have since I was like 6 or 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

elbono wrote: »
    There was this animated flash movie a good few years ago made by some irish lads with the title something like " what the english did for ireland" or " a history of ireland"

basically it was full of silliness and shenanigans, talkin about the irish famine etc and how people ate their cousins one line was " chrisht he was handshome" talkin about the cousin they ate.

there was something about cromwell at the end and he was just murderin everyone...

and some guy who got a job in america doin something crap, I can't remember what it was but it was stupid.

the narrator had a kind of duncan stewart voice on him most of the time, nicely silly.

Anyone got an idea where i'd find this? anyone else remember it? I was going to post this in the animation section but felt this might be a better place, please let me know if it should be moved.

Thanks in advance for whatever you guys come up with, the last time i was here someone remembered the man of bronze film... genius!!

Sounds like Langerland

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

So um.

Nazi Concentration Camp is the scene.

Jewish(I suspect) girl whom is Engineer disagrees with German about foundations. He shoots her and tell the other Germans something like "Do whatever she said to do"

Also German Camp Commandant(sp) happily shots people every so often from his elevated house.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Beer Baron wrote: »
    So um.

Nazi Concentration Camp is the scene.

Jewish(I suspect) girl whom is Engineer disagrees with German about foundations. He shoots her and tell the other Germans something like "Do whatever she said to do"

Also German Camp Commandant(sp) happily shots people every so often from his elevated house.

Thanks in advance.

It couldnt be Schindlers list could it? I know nearly to obvious a film but does sound like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

That answers that so. I had thought about it but couldnt remember THAT scene being in it.

Not on Blu Ray. Don't buy DVDs anymore so I will just have to wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭MapForJ

I was looking at a dvd in tesco. Something ...Skies I think. The cover is blue and has that effect that the image changes when viewed from different angle. Does anyone know title?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lemd

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Lots of special edition DVDs have hologram covers. You're going to give us more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭MapForJ

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lemd

You're welcome. It is a bad film though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Been trying to remember the name of a film I saw in the cinema about a year ago. It was French, subtitled, and the storyline was a man trying to get revenge on a company who manufactured weapons (or maybe just bullets) because their products had killed his father and he himself was shot in the head with one of their bullets. He befriends a bunch of people who also want revenge, including a woman who's a contortonist and a mother-type figure who's children died/went missing or something. It was a black comedy, very entertaining. A few internet searches have not helped my search! It may have been called something like Nik Nak....?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

jokettle wrote: »
    Been trying to remember the name of a film I saw in the cinema about a year ago. It was French, subtitled, and the storyline was a man trying to get revenge on a company who manufactured weapons (or maybe just bullets) because their products had killed his father and he himself was shot in the head with one of their bullets. He befriends a bunch of people who also want revenge, including a woman who's a contortonist and a mother-type figure who's children died/went missing or something. It was a black comedy, very entertaining. A few internet searches have not helped my search! It may have been called something like Nik Nak....?

MICMACS

It's from the same guy that braught us Amelie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

YES! Thank you! I was close with nik nak then :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Not much to go on here but I'm fairly sure it's a famous thriller/horror.

There's a scene where there's a guy holding a hatchet, the kind of axe you'd use to chop wood (or someone's head off). It's very bright and sunny, like a southern state in the US, burning sun, cloudless blue sky.
    He's in a wooden shed, maybe a barn? but there's either a hole in the roof or a skylight or something. There's a round block of wood, possibly a tree stump, inside the shed and a beam of light coming from the gap in the roof and going straight down onto the tree stump thing. There's some insinuation that he thinks it's a sign from god or something like that.

Sorry for the scarce details, it's the only scene I can remember, I saw it on while I was quite young but changed channel after a while cause I couldn't understand it.

• Advertisement

Not much to go on here but I'm fairly sure it's a famous thriller/horror.

There's a scene where there's a guy holding a hatchet, the kind of axe you'd use to chop wood (or someone's head off). It's very bright and sunny, like a southern state in the US, burning sun, cloudless blue sky.
    He's in a wooden shed, maybe a barn? but there's either a hole in the roof or a skylight or something. There's a round block of wood, possibly a tree stump, inside the shed and a beam of light coming from the gap in the roof and going straight down onto the tree stump thing. There's some insinuation that he thinks it's a sign from god or something like that.

Sorry for the scarce details, it's the only scene I can remember, I saw it on while I was quite young but changed channel after a while cause I couldn't understand it.

It's Frailty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

I was watching 'Dead Calm', last night and it triggered a memory of another film:

i can only remember the ending, there's a large group partying on a yacht, at the end of the movie they jump overboard to go swimming, forgetting to put the ladder down. When they've had enough they swim back to the yacht and realise they cannot get aboard, and one by one they succumb to tiredness and drown.

It may be a foreign language film, maybe French.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

johndoe99 wrote: »
    I was watching 'Dead Calm', last night and it triggered a memory of another film:

i can only remember the ending, there's a large group partying on a yacht, at the end of the movie they jump overboard to go swimming, forgetting to put the ladder down. When they've had enough they swim back to the yacht and realise they cannot get aboard, and one by one they succumb to tiredness and drown.

Thanks.

Open Water 2

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thanks.

Open Water 2: Adrift ??

EDIT: Damn you SVG!! :pac:

Its not Open Water 2.

A bit more info:
    I remember seeing it on TV in the 80's, im about 90% sure it was a french film.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Its not Open Water 2.

A bit more info:
    I remember seeing it on TV in the 80's, im about 90% sure it was a french film.

Are you sure? I mean what you described is 100% Open Water 2 which afik wasn't based on an original movie;

Ponster wrote: »
    Are you sure? I mean what you described is 100% Open Water 2 which afik wasn't based on an original movie;

I've not seen Open Water 2 (2006), but i do know 100% that the movie i saw was during the 80's as I was less than 12 years old at the time.

After reading the plot on IMDB for open water, it sure sounds as though there must be an original version or that this was based in part on that movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

anyone know this film about a jewish guy in 1950s america trying to go out with a black girl, theres a scene where he dresses up as hitler for halloween and i distinctly remember ray charles i got a woman playing on the radio at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭brian_t

Fozzydog3 wrote: »
    anyone know this film about a jewish guy in 1950s america trying to go out with a black girl, theres a scene where he dresses up as hitler for halloween and i distinctly remember ray charles i got a woman playing on the radio at some point

Liberty Heights

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Heights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

This one was released around the same time as The Wizard of Oz (1939). It wasn't as popular, I think, but was famous for its use of Technicolor. I remember watching a programme years ago about early Technicolor and this was named alongside The Wizard of Oz. I'm pretty sure it isn't Gone with the Wind, but could be wrong. There were very colourful looking sunsets in it. That's all I can remember from the programme. Thanks, and if you name it, fair play.

Advertisement