Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Street Fighter 4 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Details of 3s chars supers/ultras. Stolen from eventhubs

Ibuki

• She can Super Jump like C. Viper and apparently Cancel some of her normals with her Super Jump as well.

• Super: Kasumi Suzaku

• Ultra 1: Yoroi Dooshi — Ibuki leads with her elbow making a big energy ball come out.

• Ultra 2: Hashin Shou — This is from 2nd Impact, it wasn't in Third Strike. Ibuki performs a series of attacks and follows up by throwing a ton of her kunai (daggers).

Makoto

• Super: Tanden Renki/Semenokata — Unlike in Third Strike, Makoto can now block when she does this Super and can also perform her Ultras while it's activated, it's still timer based. This pisses Makoto off and makes her attacks take off more power.

• Ultra 1: Seichuusen Godandzuki — Performs a series of really powerful punches.

• Ultra 2: Abare Tosanami Kudaki — Makoto's off the wall jump attack, she follows up with some upwards punches after she lands.

Dudley

• Super: Rocket Upper — Dudley performs multiple Jet Uppercut attacks.

• Ultra 1: Rolling Thunder — Charges him forward and he connects with several powerful punches.

• Ultra 2: Corkscrew Cross — Somewhat like the Corkscrew Blow Super Art in Third Strike, but seems to do more damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

HMUYA wrote: »
    • Ultra 2: Abare Tosanami Kudaki — Makoto's off the wall jump attack, she follows up with some upwards punches after she lands.

Just saw the animation for this today, looks cool. And the move she finishes with is called Fugikage (SRK + P), which is a tight move. Also I'm pretty damn sure Makoto can super jump in Super as the trailer shows her doing a AA Fugikage into a Tsurugi (air kick, QCB + K). This was pretty much useless in 3s as he whole parry system eliminates anti airs altogether.

Super jumping will open up worlds of possibilities, given these characters can SJ from a normal(like viper). In 3s only certain normals and specials could be cancelled to a SJ. Super Jump cancelling with makoto would just be insane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

If I had to guess I'd say it's just Ibuki that can superjump out of the 3s chars.

1:26

Judging from 3s, fugikage was the only move Makoto could cancel into a super jump. At 1:26 she does it. So I'm pretty sure she has a super jump (given Capcom left it so fugikage is the only move she can cancel to a superjump then it's totally fine)

I'd go as far as to say all three of the returning 3s cast can SKj

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Ibuki:

- has target combo, even her jump LP->HP
    - Ultra2 (hashin sho) goes through projectile
    - far stand LP is very fast, and good poke
    - crouch HP is very good anti-air

Dudley:

- gun upper -> ultra works
    - rolling thuner goes through projectiles

makoto:

- can jump cancel Abare (ultra 2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ive been checking out Makoto and from what ive read she is an annoying character with dangerous mix ups. Sounds good to me but did she need good execution to use well in 3s? I messed around with the new 3s characters in 2df and I like the feel of her the most but its hard to tell with no training mode and playing the cpu.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Bush80 wrote: »
    Ive been checking out Makoto and from what ive read she is an annoying character with dangerous mix ups. Sounds good to me but did she need good execution to use well in 3s? I messed around with the new 3s characters in 2df and I like the feel of her the most but its hard to tell with no training mode and playing the cpu.

There's a French guy, Tin, who played makoto against my Remy.

This guy is awesome and i've only played 3S about 5 times but Remy is so clsoe to Guile I have some success with it.

I beat him in the first round, then in the second round he grabbed me once and killed me with one redizzy combo (I love how 3s players think it's more balanced than 4.). I honestly think he was just using the first round to build meter.

I certainly hope she isn't like that in 4...

he grabbed me once and killed me with one redizzy combo (I love how 3s players think it's more balanced than 4.).

Ye ive seen that in tutorial videos, its crazy. Im definitely going to learn her if she is anything like that ssf4 :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Most of the cast in ST had Touch of Death combo's so its nothing particularly to 3rd Strike.

Notice Bush that Blanka has a 4 hit combo that does 60% damage and stun allowing for a repeat for the kill. I bet you would give your right arm for that sort of damage output in SF IV :D

No one in SF IV has anything approaching a combo (outside of ultra) that does 50%+ damage and dizzys thanks to damage scaling and moves doing less damage.. I can't see Makoto being an exception.

Azza wrote: »
    Most of the cast in ST had Touch of Death combo's so its nothing particularly to 3rd Strike.

Notice Bush that Blanka has a 4 hit combo that does 60% damage and stun allowing for a repeat for the kill. I bet you would give your right arm for that sort of damage output in SF IV :D

No one in SF IV has anything approaching a combo (outside of ultra) that does 50%+ damage and dizzys thanks to damage scaling and moves doing less damage.. I can't see Makoto being an exception.

Ye its some shock when I put that game on these days and im dead in a couple of hits. I promptly turn the game off :pac:

• Advertisement

Azza wrote: »

That doesn't make it right though.

Also people can retcon history as much as they like but at least in Dublin city there was virtually no competative SF played between Super Street Fighter and Street Fighter alpha. Even myself and joconnell who were well known as two underage SF obsessed kids moved to SNK games and VF for a while. I know everyone loves it now, but it wasn't the case then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

(I love how 3s players think it's more balanced than 4.).

I dunno any 3s players that think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah I don't know any 3s players that think that either. Also I'd say that was a mixup, not a redizzy combo.

There are no redizzy or restun combos in 3s just go clear the air there lads!

And Bush, not to go too OT but 3s requires better executions for the most part than SF4. Although I'd say with Mak you'd need fairly decent execution, mainly for kara karakusa, basic BnB combos and her super connect off a st.fierce, and the followups. Obv the rest will tie in once you learn her normal set and her mixup setups etc. She has one hell of an isnane mixup game. She's a solid upper tier character and AFAIK at last SBO there were talks about her being moved up to just below top but maybe Chunkis can shed more light on that

And it's hard for even experienced 3s players to judge Mak, Ibuki and Dud without playing game. People have to remember that it's a totally different game and **** is bound to be changed, it's a totally different engine so a lot of stuff is gonna be changed or just wont work flat out

And no, I don't really think 3s players think it's more balanced than SF4, it's just a better game imo.

Ya its hard to know how they will be in ssf4 which makes it even more stupid to see people on srk claiming they are maining hakan when they havent even seen him.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

stupid.....people.....srk
    Never....!!??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I like the feel of her the most but its hard to tell with no training mode and playing the cpu.

You can simulate a training mode in third strike if you use cheats for the FBA emulator or use an app called Z-trainer for the Nebula emulator.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Yeah I don't know any 3s players that think that either. Also I'd say that was a mixup, not a redizzy combo.

Tin definitely said it was a redizzy which only works on Remy because of his smaller stun bar. Possibly I took him up wrong.

Thats the combo im on about, it doesnt re dizzy but it more or less kills the other dude. Id says it feels good pulling this combo off.

Tin definitely said it was a redizzy which only works on Remy because of his smaller stun bar. Possibly I took him up wrong.

Actually you're right, my mistake. It's a dizzy not a redizzy.

Doesn't change the fact it's effectively a one hit kill.

• Advertisement

More Makoto one combo kills

And we're happy that characters from this game and this character in particular are being put into street fighter 4?

Just out of interest, I assume that Makoto is doing her taunt when the opponent is stunned? Does it add extra damage or is it just for kicks?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,981 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

She can stack two taunts that give an extra strong attack for one hit each.

http://www.shoryuken.com/wiki/index.php/Street_Fighter_3:_3rd_Strike#Personal_Action

The Dreamcast version has a training mode if you're bothered getting that and an emu.

Jim wrote: »
    The Dreamcast version has a training mode if you're bothered getting that and an emu.

I think I have the dreamcast version somewhere actually but maybe the emu would be handier. Does the dremcast emu run well?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,981 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Fairly certain Anniversary Edition on xbox has a training mode too.

And we're happy that characters from this game and this character in particular are being put into street fighter 4?

Just out of interest, I assume that Makoto is doing her taunt when the opponent is stunned? Does it add extra damage or is it just for kicks?

To be fair there's no way these characters will be unchanged in SSF4. It'd basically ruin the game, from a different system.

Snip!

To be fair there's no way these characters will be unchanged in SSF4. It'd basically ruin the game, from a different system.

I understand that the characters will be changed, as you cannot directly port characters from a game with such a radically different engine. However I assume that they will be trying to keep the essence of the characters, which is what will lead to problems. If you'll notice in the vids I posted there was a minimal amount of hits which means that the damage scaling of 4 won't be able to cope with her. Or else they'll try so hard to keep the essence of the character while making her balanced that something else will go wrong.

Oh I'm just being bitter and negative again. I'll go back to my corner with my vanilla SF4 single player.

From the gameplay vid her damage looks pretty normal at the moment (ex versions don't seem to add any damage either), if that makes you feel any better!

• Advertisement

I understand that the characters will be changed, as you cannot directly port characters from a game with such a radically different engine. However I assume that they will be trying to keep the essence of the characters, which is what will lead to problems. If you'll notice in the vids I posted there was a minimal amount of hits which means that the damage scaling of 4 won't be able to cope with her. Or else they'll try so hard to keep the essence of the character while making her balanced that something else will go wrong.

Oh I'm just being bitter and negative again. I'll go back to my corner with my vanilla SF4 single player.

No offense but I don't really see the validity of your argument. What do you mean by problems? It's not like they were seriously overpowered, broken or had any flaws which anyone would consider problems in 3s. First off the first video you posted is just Makoto man, that's her! It just so happens Gouki has the worst stun and stamina in 3s so it's a really terrible match for Gouki

Like I said, Mak is all about SA2(for the most matchup part), and landing a big stun combo off of it, accompanied with a really good mixup game and you've got Makoto pretty much. So really you can't expect anything to change, in the greater scheme of the characters, cause that would just be really stupid, imo. I totally and wholeheartedly agree that adding characters from a different game and designing them as accurate as possible as to fit the current engine might obv lead to some thing being changed. But obv the essence of the characters will be there, and jusdging by the videos and feedback Capcom have done a pretty tight job

It's just like Urien, for example, he's all about the Unblockable mainly, but to say it's a problem I wouldn't really agree. You can pretty much point out "problems" for any character if you take the time too :pac:

Ibuki's Ibuki ; very low stamina and stun, but has a great mixup game and an effective rushdown

Mak's Mak ; mid stamina IIRC, high stun combos, great command grab (which leads to a plethora of different things), a really good mixup game and high damaging options

Dud's Dud ; high stamina/stun, a LOT of ways to connect/HC a super, a great overhead game, and pretty damn good damage potential. Also great mixup :pac:

It might seem like I'm repeating myself for each character but I think it's funny how Capom chose the three most mixup orientated characters in 3s to put into SF4 (imo anyway, there are other contenders but this is just my opinion)

Oh and the second video is pretty much impossible to do in a real match, it's impractical and is just for fun really, just showing what taunt(double damage pretty much), tanden renki (double damage again) vs a low stamina/stun opponent can do

Advertisement