Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Leary v. Ganley - The Reckoning.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Just because he has manners and O'Leary is a bully and doesn't understand what he's on about really.

Mad, imagine Micheal O' Leary for the Yes side, mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,954 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What a disaster of a debate. Much as I despise lying weasly Ganley, O'Leary was better off against lightweights like McKenna imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Good debate.
    Ganley edged it, I suppose.

People have to remember, the "No" side have much easier job capturing the nations imagination.
    All the "Yes" side can do is try to tell the "No" side why they are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

That was fantastic. O'Leary told Ganley exactly what everyone is thinking regarding his renewed involvement.

Didn't make for much of a political debate but boy was it an entertaining prime time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

O'Leary just kept repeating himself and everything about him just looked so lame,Ganley won hands over fist

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

O'Leary look awful Jesus i would have did better myself.
    Bad decision to get him in on the yes side.
    I think the no side came out of this debate as clear winners.

O'Leary just kept repeating himself and everything about him just looked so lame,Ganley won hands over fist

I assume you're a "NO" voter then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Aside from O'Leary's comedy value, Ganley won that debate clearly. 3 resons:
    1. He appeared to know far more about the Treaty while MOL just repeated the same two things throughout (Yes for Commissioner & tax rate).
    2. He cleverly did the "I like Mick/I agree with Mick that the Gov are useless" bit which blunted the effectiveness of MOL's jibes against him.
    3. He scored with the MOL motivation point (ie. he's only saying this to curry favour with the Commission).

Ultimately though, I doubt it will change many people's minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Ganley sounded like a broken record too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭moondogspot

Ganley absolutely annihilated O'Leary. Absolutely woeful stuff from MOL. He knew next to

nothing about the treaty and clearly showed that he is only voting Yes out of self interest.

Men against boys for Ganley. For anyone on the yes side to defend O'Leary you ain't fooling nobody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Ganley won

Your a yes voter if you think o leary won the debate.
    How silly does that sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,954 ✭✭✭✭Stark

dyl10 wrote: »
    I assume you're a "NO" voter then :)

I'm a Yes voter but I agree with the sentiment that Ganley 0wned O'Leary. Even with the inserted mistruths, it was obvious that he had at least read Nice and Lisbon, whereas O'Leary was just waffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Michael Martin vs Joe Higgins was the most civilised of the debates, felt Martin was the best of the yes operators tonight. But Joe did well as well.

Pat Cox was beaten down badly by MLM. As soon as he stooped to the level of calling SF terrorists he lost. MLM should have pointed out that FF are the greatest terrorists the state has ever seen. Cox and his FF cronies are economic terrorists to our nation state.

I have always had respect for MOL. I disagree with him but unlike others who are wealthy in Ireland he pays his taxes in full. I have always disliked Ganley and thought MOL would win the debate hands down. But Ganley impressed me greatly. Trounced MOL so badly it would be bound to have a swing to the no's.

My thoughts on Prime Time tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

O' Leary was ill mannered and pig ignorant as usual which in turn scored another own goal for his campaign. Ganley on the other hand was smooth and well able to handle him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

O'Leary made a fool of himself, albeit not for the first time I know.
    The debate wasn't helped by the fact that it was almost a word for word repeat of the Today FM Lisbon special broadcast on the Matt Cooper show in the early evening, all the way down to the Dana gags swapped between Ganley and O'Leary.

The O'leary v Ganley debate descended into mindless mud slinging and attempts at character assassination and if by some miracle you'd never heard of the Lisbon treaty before in your life, seeing this particular debate would cast no light on what the treaty was about at all.

Hopefully this is the last we see of this side show, and I'm sure the Yes camp are praying Michael O'leary contracts laryngitis for the remainder of the campaign based on his performance in this debate this evening.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

that was the worst performance of a debate i ever seen from o'leary he looked like a spoilt little child the way he was going on. all o'leary could really do was slag off ganley which obviously made o'leary look like a stupid gobshi,te which he is. ganley destroyed him there for sure. and another thing all the yes camp can still do to this day is repeat lie after lie as usual. complete wasters imo.

Voltwad wrote: »
    Ganley sounded like a broken record too.
    Ganley actually came across as someone who could infact hold a conversation about the lisbon treaty.
    O'Leary looked like an ejit down in the pub half loaded talking ****e lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

I listened to the Last Word.
    I was a fan of Michael O'Leary before he joined the Yes campaign.
    Now I think he's just a jackass.

Here Here

Michael Martin vs Joe Higgins was the most civilised of the debates, felt Martin was the best of the yes operators tonight. But Joe did well as well.

Pat Cox was beaten down badly by MLM. As soon as he stooped to the level of calling SF terrorists he lost. MLM should have pointed out that FF are the greatest terrorists the state has ever seen. Cox and his FF cronies are economic terrorists to our nation state.

I have always had respect for MOL. I disagree with him but unlike others who are wealthy in Ireland he pays his taxes in full. I have always disliked Ganley and thought MOL would win the debate hands down. But Ganley impressed me greatly. Trounced MOL so badly it would be bound to have a swing to the no's.

My thoughts on Prime Time tonight.

Very well put.

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    I'm a Yes voter but I agree with the sentiment that Ganley 0wned O'Leary. Even with the inserted mistruths, it was obvious that he had at least read Nice and Lisbon, whereas O'Leary was just waffling.

I'm a yes voter, I think Ganley won but certainly not by some huge margin.
    What do people expect MOL to be able to say for the "Yes" side?

At the end of the day, he can only tell Ganley that he's wrong(Which he did).
    With MOL not being able to be sensationalist, it should have easy for Ganley to make a fool of him, yet he didn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Very well put.

I put that location status up a while ago, I no longer hold a vigil outside Anglo-Irish bank in my Challenger II tank;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭moondogspot

With MOL not being able to be sensationalist, it should have easy for Ganley to make a fool of him, yet he didn't...

Ganley wiped the floor of O'Leary, plain & simple. To say otherwise is complete & utter denial.

I put that location status up a while ago, I no longer hold a vigil outside Anglo-Irish bank in my Challenger II tank;)
    I'll supply you with ammo. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭daisyplant

You're right there, O'Leary made a fool of himself, didn't need any help from Ganley in that regard at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

michael o'leary should not have being put on tv to debate lisbon he know's nothing about it which has just been proven. he sure walked himself into looking like a right idiot, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Ganley wiped the floor of O'Leary, plain & simple. To say otherwise is complete & utter denial.
    Not really. All he did was repeat the same tripe that he has been saying in the media for the last few days i.e "I don't have a valid idea or argument to justify myself being here, so I will ask where in the treaty it says jobs will be created".

I liked how he justified his return by saying he was provoked. Hopefully like a bad turd he gets flushed from the scene this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

As a Yes voter, I thought Ganley preformed better than O'Leary. The debate was simply too long for him. He is used to speaking unopposed and in sntaches, this arena did not suit him.

Also, anyone who had already listened to the Today FM debate would have heard all their clever one-liners. They went over a lot of the same ground. A disappointing spectacle over all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

They both lost. Any time I looked at the telly O'Leary was talking about either the guarantees on taxation or the commissioner which, while true, only needs to be said once and Ganley had some lie or another falling out of his mouth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 MacAoidh

That would've been the funniest thing I've seen on tv in ages, if it wasn't such a serious matter. Absolutely vicious.

Really, it was idiotic having Micheal O Leary debate this, he was always flustered and provided little challenge for Ganley to walk over and dramatically intone the end of all freedom if we vote yes. Honestly, by the end Declan was a hair's breadth from jumping around and raving about the end of civilization as we know it (no one was keeping him in check), but he did keep his composure while MoL sulked horribly and talked in circles (albeit with two strong, essential points repeated ad nauseam). Miriam was completely ineffectual.

Declan Ganley might be a self-aggrandising, fear mongering, a-hole but he easily came out looking better than the other side.

Honestly, I don't know who decided on this 'debate' (RTE trying to grab viewers I guess).

Advertisement