Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Leary v. Ganley - The Reckoning.

Options
  • 24-09-2009 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

Michael O'Leary and Declan Ganley go head-to-head tonight on Prime Time, debating the Lisbon Treaty.

Pre-match jousting has already begun:
    I create more jobs in this country than he does, I pay more taxes in this country than he does and if he wants to have a debate on how he thinks voting No is going to enhance either the Irish economy or job creation let's have a debate. I think the problem for Declan Ganley is he wants to be Dana but he couldn't get enough votes to get elected. Well I never wanted to be Dana, sadly I can't sing, I'm never going to run for political office so i think I have a more independent voice than some failed politician. - Micheal O'Leary on Declan Ganley
    stolen from P.ie

They will also be participating in a debate on radio around 4:30 as well.

Let's get read to Ruuuuuuumble!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Michael O'Leary and Declan Ganley go head-to-head tonight on Prime Time, debating the Lisbon Treaty.

stolen from P.ie

I can't wait. I don't remember being ever this interested in a political debate before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Martin 2

I create more jobs in this country than he does, I pay more taxes in this country than he does and if he wants to have a debate on how he thinks voting No is going to enhance either the Irish economy or job creation let's have a debate. I think the problem for Declan Ganley is he wants to be Dana but he couldn't get enough votes to get elected. Well I never wanted to be Dana, sadly I can't sing, I'm never going to run for political office so i think I have a more independent voice than some failed politician. - Micheal O'Leary on Declan Ganley
    stolen from P.ie

That has to be the quote of the campaign so far... at least for entertainment value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

stolen from P.ie

/switches over to the NO side bias seeking mode

You are biased! that should read

Declan Ganley and Michael O'Leary

/snaps back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

This is going to be great! Getting a few beer and sitting down to watch this tonight.

I fear for O'Leary in terms of debating the actual content of the treaty. Ganley will have the clear advantage in that regards. O'Leary will likely really on sly personal digs against Ganely.

Cool.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Is anyone listening to them on the Last Word? I think they should be going at it around now. Dying to hear this, but the stream appears to be blocked here at work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

cornbb wrote: »
    Is anyone listening to them on the Last Word? I think they should be going at it around now. Dying to hear this, but the stream appears to be blocked here at work

Just tuned in... about to start after the news headlines. The stream works fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

cornbb wrote: »

Due to start in a min. O'Leary is late.

Ganley, McKenna, Higgins, Martin and Harkin are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'm looking forward to this. Possibly the two most hated figures (other than FF and Green party members) in recent Irish history go head to head. Not expecting a great debate but hopeful of some entertainment. I hope Prime Time flashes up a "For entertainment purposes only" sign during the debate though. Neither of these guys are the kind of people we need to take advice from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭helpwanted1

No O'Leary.......yet

Hope he shows....is it all tactics;):rolleyes:;):rolleyes:

This is the link I'm using to listen to it

http://www.todayfm.com/LivePlayer.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

O'Leary is in the building :D

• Advertisement

God, Patricia McKenna's annoying.

I hate the No side campaigners. I cant wait til this referendum is over.

Fair dues to Marian Harkin for talking about TREATY reasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

all lies so far

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Has O'leary spoken yet?

murfie wrote: »
    Has O'leary spoken yet?

Nope Ganley at the moment, O'Leary is up next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

murfie wrote: »
    Has O'leary spoken yet?
    No, up next.

Ganley's on. Constitution=lisbon bollocks

He's finished now. Everything he said was a lie. It really makes you despair for democracy.

Wow, I don't think Ganley or McKenna said anything true in their speeches.

Dinner wrote: »
    Wow, I don't think Ganley or McKenna said anything true in their speeches.

depressing isn't it

• Advertisement

You gotta love O'Learys ability to talk straight

turgon wrote: »
    You gotta love O'Learys ability to talk straight

It is good to see a yes supporter slam the government as well as advocate a yes vote.

Loved his comments about each of the no debaters there being Dana.

Dinner wrote: »
    Loved his comments about each of the no debaters there being Dana.

Right up there with his "unemployable ****in headbangers" comment :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Funny that, I was just looking at Joe Higgins' website the other day, too. Under "Economy" the only two sections are "Nationalisation" and "Workers". :rolleyes:

O'Leary is refreshing to listen to in that he doesn't talk like a politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Ganley did give O'Leary as good as O'Leary gave. Good stuff, forget the rest of them just let O'Leary loose on Ganley.
    O'Leary is very fresh and sticking it to the government just as much as the NO side.

Kind of disappointed so far, it's just been No voters shouting blatant lies, Yes side refuting them and no one getting anywhere. Probably shouldn't have expected much more though. Kind of similar to here actually...

Did like the little sparring match between Ganley and O'Leary, hopefully there'll be plenty more of that tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Higgens last article reference there before the break.
    Article 207
    (ex Article 133 TEC)
    1. The common commercial policy shall be based on uniform principles, particularly with regard
    to changes in tariff rates, the conclusion of tariff and trade agreements relating to trade in goods and
    services, and the commercial aspects of intellectual property, foreign direct investment, the
    achievement of uniformity in measures of liberalisation, export policy and measures to protect trade
    such as those to be taken in the event of dumping or subsidies. The common commercial policy shall
    be conducted in the context of the principles and objectives of the Union's external action.
    2. The European Parliament and the Council, acting by means of regulations in accordance with
    the ordinary legislative procedure, shall adopt the measures defining the framework for implementing
    the common commercial policy.
    3. Where agreements with one or more third countries or international organisations need to be
    negotiated and concluded, Article 218 shall apply, subject to the special provisions of this Article.
    The Commission shall make recommendations to the Council, which shall authorise it to open the
    necessary negotiations. The Council and the Commission shall be responsible for ensuring that the
    agreements negotiated are compatible with internal Union policies and rules.
    The Commission shall conduct these negotiations in consultation with a special committee appointed
    by the Council to assist the Commission in this task and within the framework of such directives as the
    Council may issue to it. The Commission shall report regularly to the special committee and to the
    European Parliament on the progress of negotiations.
    4. For the negotiation and conclusion of the agreements referred to in paragraph 3, the Council
    shall act by a qualified majority.
    For the negotiation and conclusion of agreements in the fields of trade in services and the commercial
    aspects of intellectual property, as well as foreign direct investment, the Council shall act unanimously
    where such agreements include provisions for which unanimity is required for the adoption of internal
    rules.
    The Council shall also act unanimously for the negotiation and conclusion of agreements:
    (a) in the field of trade in cultural and audiovisual services, where these agreements risk prejudicing
    the Union's cultural and linguistic diversity;
    (b) in the field of trade in social, education and health services, where these agreements risk seriously
    disturbing the national organisation of such services and prejudicing the responsibility of Member
    States to deliver them.

5. The negotiation and conclusion of international agreements in the field of transport shall be
    subject to Title VI of Part Three and to Article 218.
    C 115/140 EN Official Journal of the European Union 9.5.2008
    6. The exercise of the competences conferred by this Article in the field of the common
    commercial policy shall not affect the delimitation of competences between the Union and the
    Member States, and shall not lead to harmonisation of legislative or regulatory provisions of the
    Member States in so far as the Treaties exclude such harmonisation.

hmmm

is there a text in service for this? I'd like to ask him to read all of paragraph 4

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Higgens last article reference there before the break.

hmmm

is there a text in service for this? I'd like to ask him to read all of paragraph 4

Think there is on the today FM website.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    all lies so far

From the Yes side. O'Leary is a clown, he loves promoting Ryanair. That is his agenda.Full stop.

• Advertisement

From the Yes side. O'Leary is a clown, he loves promoting Ryanair. That is his agenda.Full stop.

Yes, he's promoting Ryanair by supporting a yes vote, which he believes will help the economy. Not everything that is good for him is bad for you. And the fact that you don't think the no side are lying is very depressing

Advertisement