Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon Treaty Debate on boards.ie

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'm well aware of that.
    But it's not like the EU is the voice of all it's citizens now is it?

Vote Yes for the Citizens Initiative.

That will give them a voice, even the nutjobs.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

The respective governments of the member states fill that role.

Edit: And the Parliament too.
    Well that's semantics im talking about what the people want and what the people get are 2 different things.Yes they can vote in another government but that's not going to change much now is it. Either way they are pushing ahead with this treaty full steam ahead whether you like it or not.

K-9 wrote: »
    Vote Yes for the Citizens Initiative.

That will give them a voice, even the nutjobs.

Why even give the nut jobs a vote I wouldn't.

Citizens Initiative isn't that akin to the feedback on the back of the McDonald's napkins?
    Not remotely amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Citizens Initiative isn't that akin to the feedback on the back of the McDonald's napkins?
    Not remotely amusing.

Look, if the Scientologists can gather 1,000,000 signatures fair play to them. Only of it is a Commission competence can they act.

Is that your only point against it?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Just because you send in feedback doesn't mean it's going to be acted upon.
    And why should you even have to send feedback in? Do you not see how stupid that sounds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

You realize if we stopped giving votes to nutjobs yours would be the first to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Just because you send in feedback doesn't mean it's going to be acted upon.
    And why should you even have to send feedback in? Do you not see how stupid that sounds?

It's not feedback - they do that through the various consultations. It's the opportunity to put a request for a legislative proposal on the Commission agenda, same as the Council and Parliament do. Around 95% of Commission proposals each year are as the result of requests from Member state governments through the Council, or from EU civil society organisations and social partner. Only a tiny proportion are from the Commission services using their 'right of initiative' without a specific request. The Citizens' Initiatives gives the same right to the citizens directly.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'm well aware of that.
    But it's not like the EU is the voice of all it's citizens now is it?

Should it be? Seriously, we, the Irish, don't want a voice of all its citizens because we'd be drowned out and have very little say in such a populist orginisation!

The people are represented by their Government and by their elected representatives. The people can punish both for taking decisions they disagree with in the same way by not reelecting them. Unless you subscribe to the notion that we don't need Governments (which is, well, an odd one) then I find it hard to see why you'd have a problem with the Government representing us at EU level since they already represent us at national level and in all foreign relations etc.

You realize if we stopped giving votes to nutjobs yours would be the first to go?
    You think I'm a nut job? But I'm voting yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

My point is everyone in this thread keeps saying article this section that.But in reality we will have to go help them and if we don't we will be isolated.
    It's like whats happening right now with our own incompetent government.
    If you don;'t vote yes your going to die is what they're nearly saying.

If you think that we'll have to help them militarily regardless of what it says in the treaties then why does it matter what way we vote on the Lisbon treaty? A treaty only matters if its "articles and sections" are going to be followed

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    If you think that we'll have to help them militarily regardless of what it says in the treaties then why does it matter what way we vote on the Lisbon treaty? A treaty only matters if its "articles and sections" are going to be followed

If we sign it then we are obligated to help them.If we didn't sign it, we won't be singled out because we will be obligated to do whatever is in our countries interests,not the eu's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

If we sign it then we are obligated to help them.If we didn't sign it, we won't be singled out because we will be obligated to do whatever is in our countries interests,not the eu's.

send them one military radio handset

obligation fulfilled :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

We're telling you that the provisions of the treaties do not effect our neutrality and do not require us to give military aid and you said that it does matter what "the articles and sections" say because we'll have to help anyway or be isolated. Either the articles matter and obligate us or they don't matter and we'll have to do it whether we're legally obliged or not. You can't refer to the treaty when you think it supports what you think and then say it doesn't matter what the treaty says when we point out that it doesn't actually say that.

Unless of course you don't give a crap what the treaty says and just want to spread the false idea that it effects our neutrality

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

So, is it just me, or has this thread and its original topic parted ways?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

So many people arguing and... FNCK ALL OF THEM STEPPING FORWARD!!!

this is a thread for proposing yourself as a debater. Not for ACTUALLY HAVING THE DEBATE. Jeezzzzz

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

DeVore wrote: »
    So many people arguing and... FNCK ALL OF THEM STEPPING FORWARD!!!

this is a thread for proposing yourself as a debater. Not for ACTUALLY HAVING THE DEBATE. Jeezzzzz

DeV.

why do you think I've been avoiding this debate :D

Advertisement