Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The weirdest thing you've seen on a motorway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I once saw both lanes of traffic stopping for a line of baby ducks following their mum...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I saw a flying honda civic on the m50 (Southbound at the redcow junction). The thing was at least 30 feet in the air!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Was there ice cream on the windscreen?

No but there was flowers in the back of the car. ice cream man was driving a black 307

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Was on the M11 heading north just past Bray 15 years ago (so not long open). This guy in a Merc overshot an exit by about 100 yards. Instead of going on to the next one, he stopped in the inside lane a proceeded to reverse back to the exit. He had cars swerving and blowing him out of it, but her continued until he was able to exit. Was was nearly in contention for a Darwin award.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

last year meet a car going down the wrong side of the m7, doing about 70mph, nearly killed me! Got some fright when he passed me in the fast lane going the opposite way! Guards caught him at the next exit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I saw a van towing a car on the M7 last year. They were using a rope, and there was no-one in the car.

I'm not sure he thought about stopping when he came up with that plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

EPM wrote: »
    Once saw an Audi indicating:pac:

It's more likely that some of the bulbs were gone on his "park anywhere" lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It would have to be the time when i was coming from the Sandyford exit M50 northbound. to see a big tyre rolling by my drivers side window.

Toyota Hylux had just lost its wheel. Wheel spun off ahead and the jeep went down at the front skidding into the side barrier. CrazY:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wlodi81

phutyle wrote: »
    I saw a van towing a car on the M7 last year. They were using a rope, and there was no-one in the car.

I'm not sure he thought about stopping when he came up with that plan.

Genius at work:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gtec

- An articulated truck reversing back to the Last exit before the toll on the M8

- The buss Eireann Cork-Dublin Bus reversing off the on M8 ramp north of Fermoy

- And just this morning.... The was an accident south of Cair southbound on the M8 (yes I drive it alot!) which had blocked the road, and AA roadwatch could tell you the road was closed, but there was no Garda car to tell you to get off at the previous exit, so the traffic was backing up at a fine rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

saw a delorean parked on the side of the m4 the other morning, both gull wing doors opened. Interesting looking car

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭cml387

- And just this morning.... The was an accident south of Cair southbound on the M8 (yes I drive it alot!) which had blocked the road, and AA roadwatch could tell you the road was closed, but there was no Garda car to tell you to get off at the previous exit, so the traffic was backing up at a fine rate.[/quote]

+1

Of course we Irish do not need electronic motorway signs,as we are psychic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Also passed a tractor going down the M8 near Cahir as well but it was ok because he was (surprisingly) keeping to the left:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

Solyad wrote: »
    saw a delorean parked on the side of the m4 the other morning, both gull wing doors opened. Interesting looking car

did it have a flux capacitor on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    last year meet a car going down the wrong side of the m7, doing about 70mph, nearly killed me! Got some fright when he passed me in the fast lane going the opposite way! Guards caught him at the next exit!

That was Jim. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Combine harvester on the M50 several weeks ago, not keeping as left as he could have done.

Another time on the M7, couldn't figure out why the driver of a small car ahead was insisting on driving so damn close to the camper van in front of it at 100k's until I got up beside it and realised the car was actually stuck somehow to the back of the camper van, with no driver in it... looked like the camper van had accidently snagged the front of it with its tow hitch - although I suspect it was probably on some sort of proper drawn bar mechanism hidden by the car itself.

The craziest thing - a few years ago coming off the M1/M50 roundabout onto the M50 southbound in heavy evening rush hour traffic and finding not one, but two cars reversing, one in the actual motorway lane itself and the other trying to follow it in the hard shoulder, back around the curve towards the roundabout. Incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Omcd wrote: »
    Another time on the M7, couldn't figure out why the driver of a small car ahead was insisting on driving so damn close to the camper van in front of it at 100k's until I got up beside it and realised the car was actually stuck somehow to the back of the camper van, with no driver in it... looked like the camper van had accidently snagged the front of it with its tow hitch - although I suspect it was probably on some sort of proper drawn bar mechanism hidden by the car itself.
    Almost certainly on an A-Frame:
    http://www.armitagetrailers.com/AFRAMEGALLERY.htm

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I saw a old style horse and cart branded by guiness trotting up the dual carriageway today heading towards dublin. Can't remember where exactly I was at the time. Maybe near Roscrea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Comin Northbound on the M7 one day during the summer, was between the Kildare exit, and the Newbridge exit. Was on the inside lane doin bout 130kmh, and some head the ball on a motorbike comes screaming up the over- taking lane, on his back wheel. Couldn't even hazzard a guess as to what speed he was doin. But the really freaky part was.....he was carrying a pillion!!!! Fcuking death- wish merchant.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The weirdest thing that I've seen is people having a picnic along the M7
    I saw a bloke in an olde 5 serier BM getting some oral from his whatever she was to him........thought I was seeing things from behind but when I got up to the side and looked down (I was in a big iveco van), her head was in his lap, head bopping up and down, blonde hair everywhere.

Whilst I'm all for a healty sex life, they should have pulled over to perform whatever they wanted.
    I own an older 5 series. Never had a Gillian Taylforth though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

A taxi in the left lane of the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A taxi traffic in the left lane of the M50.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Solyad wrote: »

Did it have enough road to get up to 88?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

once saw a man sitting in traffic having a wet shave, he was foamed up, had a bowl of water on the dash and the razor in his hand shaving in the mirror.
    When he was finished he emptied the bowl out the window and dried off.

No cuts either, impressive.

This is the funniest thing i have read in quite some time.

You MUST be making this shít up

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Omcd wrote: »

Actually think I saw the exact same thing as yourself, and it was pretty damn cool.

full bumper sitting in the right hand lane of dual carriageway.. garda car sitting parked right in front of it instead of hard shoulder while the two of them go about moving it.

it was pissing rain and i had just passed a lorry completely blinded by the spray about one minute before the bumper.. (like driving through a cloud but too late to turn back)
    if i'd have been one minute later passing, i'd have drove straight into the back of a parked garda car at 70mph.

4 of us in the car still remember it as one of the maddest things that's happened us on the road.. no hazards, no blue lights. just a parked garda car in the outside lane on a day with low visibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭BlueSpud

Morlar wrote: »
    Saw someone running drunkenly down the motorway one night in the wrong direction (passed by his flipped over car at the next exit).

Saw a car driving full whack down the motorway going the wrong way once, came straight into the fast lane and scared the piss out of me as I had to swerve to avoid a head on. Neither weren't haha-funny but still.
    Neither weren't haha-funny but still.

Double negative old chap!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭BlueSpud

full bumper sitting in the right hand lane of dual carriageway.. garda car sitting parked right in front of it instead of hard shoulder.

it was pissing rain and i had just passed a lorry completely blinded by the spray about one minute before the bumper.. (like driving through a cloud but too late to turn back)
    if i'd have been one minute later passing, i'd have drove straight into the back of a parked garda car at 70mph.

4 of us in the car still remember it as one of the maddest things that's happened us on the road.. no hazards, no blue lights. just a parked garda car in the outside lane on a day with low visibility.

You dumb spanner!

wtf were you doing driving blind at 70mph for?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭wexican

Steve wrote: »
    Saw the google maps car on the M7 a few months back - mad looking yoke!

Saw that on the M11 not so long ago as well!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Being overtaken.
    Quite..odd.

Advertisement