Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do boards people think of people from paris/france

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I LOVE France and French! When I was in Barcelona I had a little too much black absinthe and practically killed a couple of French people with love, rambling in garbled French about how much I love France and how nice the French are. The South of France is really beautiful and the people are so friendly and welcoming, thoug I have found Parisiens to be a little aloof.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Lot of great things about France but Parisians are so far up their own ass I'm surprised they don't choke to death on their own heads.

Even the tone of the OP's question is typical (although I suspect he or she is pretty young): Hey I'm French - how awesome are we?

Every time I read a thread on AH I wish I had stayed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

Je suis un fan assidu du cinema francais, notamment le mouvement Nouvelle Vague. Voila un un bel exemple:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Dave03

Just back from France and i gotta say Paris is a pretty impressive city! Sublime architecture and a solid transport system, easy to navigate and plenty there to suit everyone's tastes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Gosh I really want to go back to France :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

I know a few french people, they are sound out. the are all from the countryside and dont have much time for the folk in paris though...its like a much stronger version of the culchie~jackeen thing here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I've never been, but my brother lives in Paris and he thinks it's alright. Sounds fine to me.

*Shrug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

OK for surrender monkeys I guess.

Plus points for that dapper, dirty old geezer look that Sarkozy does so well when you see him with the missus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I don't actually tend to think of them a whole lot..

I know one French woman who lives near me at home. She is a bit of a bitch but I wouldn't presume to think every French person is therefore. Did French in college and the French lecturers/tutors tended to be either very very nice or very very bitchy/arrogant/obnoxious, with very very weird as a middle ground.

The French, they're grand I guess.

and the French lecturers/tutors tended to be either very very nice or very very bitchy/arrogant/obnoxious, with very very weird as a middle ground.

Human, in other words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

A great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Cheese eating surrender monkeys.

I wasn't a big fan of Paris and have to say that most of the Parisians I met were very dismissive of my (I thought rather decent) attempts to speak French. Never once spoke English but was still treated fairly rudely by shopkeepers and the like.

Quite a filthy city and not at all what I was expecting. Seemed quite unsafe too.

BUT, Disneyland is so magnificent that I will be returning this year and possibly twice every year for the rest of my life until I get sick of Space Mountain 2 (which will be never)!

Vive la France.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

stovelid wrote: »
    OK for surrender monkeys I guess.
    Monkey61 wrote: »
    Cheese eating surrender monkeys.

Pretty sick of seeing this sort of thoughtless remark from some Irish people towards French, at best it just seems like something you picked up off some UK pals. You try a few million Germans on the doorsteps of Dublin and see how brave you feel. We were pretty good at the whole surrender lark ourselves after all. This whole anti-French thing which seems to have become popular in certain circles is an import from our neighbour and should have no place here. It's Britain which has had issues with France in the past not Ireland.

luckylucky wrote: »
    Pretty sick of seeing this sort of thoughtless remark from some Irish people towards French, at best it just seems like something you picked up off some UK pals. .

I'm really sorry for the surrender-monkey epithet. It was pretty remiss of me to omit the cheese-eating prefix.

It was pretty remiss of me to omit the cheese-eating prefix.

Yeah it was. If you're going to go for thoughtless unoriginal imported cliches you might as well go to whole hog after all :rolleyes:

Yeah it was. If you're going to go for thoughtless unoriginal imported cliches you might as well go to whole hog after all :rolleyes:

You're making me feel bad about the quality of my cliches now.

I knew I should have stayed in daft Sartre polo-neck/smelly onion-ring/Gauloise territory. :(

I knew I should have stayed in daft Sartre polo-neck/smelly onion-ring/Gauloise territory. :(

Now yer talking :P.

Anyone else have doubts btw about OP's supposed Frenchness - if anything he seems to be doing his best to turn us off French people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Now yer talking :P.

Anyone else have doubts btw about OP's supposed Frenchness - if anything he seems to be doing his best to turn us off French people.

Nope, he seems exactly like a Frenchman :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Pretty sick of seeing this sort of thoughtless remark from some Irish people towards French, at best it just seems like something you picked up off some UK pals. You try a few million Germans on the doorsteps of Dublin and see how brave you feel. We were pretty good at the whole surrender lark ourselves after all. This whole anti-French thing which seems to have become popular in certain circles is an import from our neighbour and should have no place here. It's Britain which has had issues with France in the past not Ireland.

Definitely double standards, sticking it to the Brits, and at the same time criticising someone for sticking it to the French.:P

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Definitely double standards, sticking it to the Brits, and at the same time criticising someone for sticking it to the French.:P

Where exactly am I sticking it to the Brits? :confused:

• Advertisement

*backs away slowly*

Where exactly am I sticking it to the Brits? :confused:

Read your post, which I quoted, and study it in great detail.

Read your post, which I quoted, and study it in great detail.

lol so basically you can't show because no criticism exists. :D

And since I made the post I think I know exactly what I meant a lot better than you!

So you just assumed there was some implied criticism.

Ok - just to further debunk your assumption. In my post I said "It's Britain which has had issues with France in the past not Ireland."

This is true. Britain and France have been ememies many times in the past and in certain elements in both countries there still exists enmities to this day. It shouldn't be that way but it's a bit more understandable than Irish people feeling this way towards the French. I have a lot of English friends here who don't like the French because of the way they have been treated in France and from their point of view I can understand and empathise. I totally disagree with anybody being treated badly just because of what country they are from.

Also I have no problem whatsoever in Irish people criticising France or French people if they have good reason from their own experience but just wish they wouldn't copy-cat cliches from across the water. Is the 'Surrender monkey' not something that came from across the water? And is saying that it is sticking to the Brits!? :confused:
    If the surrender monkey is something that originated here (which I'm 99% sure it didn't) then that would really be pot calling the kettle black.

lol so basically you can't show because no criticism exists. :D

And since I made the post I think I know exactly what I meant a lot better than you!

So you just assumed there was some implied criticism.

Ok - just to further debunk your assumption. In my post I said "It's Britain which has had issues with France in the past not Ireland."

This is true. Britain and France have been ememies many times in the past and in certain elements in both countries there still exists enmities to this day. It shouldn't be that way but it's a bit more understandable than Irish people feeling this way towards the French. I have a lot of English friends here who don't like the French because of the way they have been treated in France and from their point of view I can understand and empathise. I totally disagree with anybody being treated badly just because of what country they are from.

Also I have no problem whatsoever in Irish people criticising France or French people if they have good reason from their own experience but just wish they wouldn't copy-cat cliches from across the water. Is the 'Surrender monkey' not something that came from across the watrer? And is saying that it is sticking to the Brits!? :confused:
    If the surrender monkey is something that originated here (which I'm 99% sure it didn't) then that would really be pot calling the kettle black.

Which water are you referring to, because I don't think the phrase originated across the Irish Sea?

You're stereotyping, and criticising people for doing the same.

What makes you think British people don't like the French?
    We may have been 'enemies'; but we were allies in two world wars and worked together to build an under-water rail - How exactly are we still enemies?

French people are stereotyped as arrogant, smelly etc. Irish are stereotyped as laid back and pissed. The English are seen as snooty and uptight. They're just stupid stereotypes. Who cares.

Oh, and as far as I know, 'cheese-eating surrender monkies' is an American phrase, not a British one.

Which water are you referring to, because I don't think the phrase originated across the Irish Sea?

You're stereotyping, and criticising people for doing the same.

Well I lived in England for a good few years and heard the phrase 'Cheese eating surrdender monkeys' on more than one occasion so i assumed it originated there. Maybe I assumed wrongly and it came from America and they borrowed the phrase. Either way it's almost definitely an imported phrase to Ireland. Not sure where exactly I'm meant to be doing stereotyping. It's true that Francophobia has stronger roots in Britain than it does in Ireland (not saying for 1 minute that all British are Anti-French) If you think me even bringing the Brits into this was wrong, well at a stretch I can see why you might think this. Either way we have less reason historically at least to be annoyed or dislike the French than the British do and perhaps to a lesser extent America.

I wasn't criticising people so much for stereotyping - more criticising them for being unoriginal and borrowing another country's (be it Britain, America or any other country) cliched stereotyped phraseology.

If you think i was somehow sticking it to the Brits then I can assure you it wasn't my intention. My wife is a Brit and a load of my friends are Brits. In fact if anything I'd say I'm an anglophile, that doesn't mean I'm one of them though!

brummytom wrote: »

Some don't - as clearly some Irish don't either. I don't think that all British people dislike the French. tbh Tom I reckon this attitude is on the way out and that's a good thing.
    Irish are stereotyped as laid back and pissed.

see some stereotypes are true. :D
    'cheese-eating surrender monkies' is an American phrase, not a British one.

Well you learn something new everyday, apologies for my assumption (some people can apologise for wrong assumptions :D) then

We may have been 'enemies'; but we were allies in two world wars and worked together to build an under-water rail - How exactly are we still enemies?

French people are stereotyped as arrogant, smelly etc. Irish are stereotyped as laid back and pissed. The English are seen as snooty and uptight. They're just stupid stereotypes. Who cares.

Oh, and as far as I know, 'cheese-eating surrender monkies' is an American phrase, not a British one.

It was apparently first used in an episode of The Simpsons, which is a bit strange, given that every single American loves the French (I could be wrong about that, and will leave it others to correct my assumption).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

we used to holiday alot in france when i was younger and we never met any unfriendly french! Once we were lost in the car looking for my parents friends house, we asked this couple, they said follow us ( in french) we must have been driving for about 10-15 mins following them - they brought us right to the street. 2 years ago in paris with an ex - we were late for the airport going home and went to the wrong place to get the bus - asked directions on street in bad french- people tried to help and eventually a taxi man brought us up one way streets even (scary but we made the flight ) and flew it to get us to the place - we were in such a rush we forget to tip him! But IMO the fench are lovely :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭briany

It was apparently first used in an episode of The Simpsons, which is a bit strange, given that every single American loves the French (I could be wrong about that, and will leave it others to correct my assumption).

Yeah it was used by Groundskeeper Willy, so it is technically a Scottish phrase and henceforth a British one.

Advertisement