Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to do the Bulgarian Lotto?

Options
  • 17-09-2009 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭

bbc wrote:
    Bulgarian lottery repeat probed

The chance of the same numbers appearing were one in four million
    The Bulgarian authorities have ordered an investigation after the same six numbers were drawn in two consecutive rounds of the national lottery.
    The numbers - 4, 15, 23, 24, 35 and 42 - were chosen by a machine live on television on 6 and 10 September.
    An official of the Bulgarian lottery said manipulation was impossible.
    A mathematician said the chance of the same six numbers coming up twice in a row was one in four million. But he said coincidences did happen.
    Minister of Physical Education and Sport Svilen Neykov said the commission established to investigate would provide answers towards the end of the week.
    The lottery organisers described it as a freak coincidence and pointed out that the numbers were drawn in a different order.
    Nobody won the top prize in the first draw.
    But a record 18 people guessed all six numbers in the 10 September draw.
    Each will win 10,164 leva (5,196 euros; $7,643).
    Link

Same time, same place & same numbers next week guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,736 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think the clue is in the word, lottery. If it can happen, it will happen.
    Who is to say the numbers won't be drawn for a third time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

5,196 euro? It'd be like rigging your local GAA draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The odd of it happening have to be way more than 1 in 4million. That mathematician probably hasn't graduated from primary school. The odds of any six numbers coming out once is more than 1 in 4million never mind twice

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

That fecking Derren Brown fella again.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Did they come out in the same order both times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,736 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Quazzie wrote: »
    The odd of it happening have to be way more than 1 in 4million. That mathematician probably hasn't graduated from primary school. The odds of any six numbers coming out once is more than 1 in 4million never mind twice
    I was thinking that too. Maybe some geek or nerd:) here can explain this better.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Did they come out in the same order both times?

From the OP:
    The lottery organisers described it as a freak coincidence and pointed out that the numbers were drawn in a different order.

From the OP:
    I was too lazy to read the whole first post...its too early:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

How many balls in the lotto?
    Ill work out odds

Just under 14 million permutations of numbers in a 49 ball lottery so doing it twice.....my calculator only has so many places :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

magicianz wrote: »
    How many balls in the lotto?
    Ill work out odds

If you couldn't work out how many balls there are in the lotto, from the original post.. i don't hold much hope for you working out the odds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Yep: Look at this nice little explanation from Dr Math: http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/56585.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

If you couldn't work out how many balls there are in the lotto, from the original post.. i don't hold much hope for you working out the odds.

Balls total not just how many are drawn -.-'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Maybe there is only 6 balls in their lottery, chances would be good of the same ones coming out if it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

4, 15, 23, 24, 35 and 42 Bulgaria
    4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42 Lost

Coincidence? I think not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Bloody foreigners!!
    If they are not taking our jobs they are committing fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I think your missing something though:

The numbers coming out the first time round dont come into the probablity equation, its not like it had to be any of those numbers it could have been any combination of numbers.

Then the probability of those 6 numbers coming up in the next draw is the same as the probability of a single lotto ticket

Now the probability of you picking 6 numbers that comes up twice in a row is a different story!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Of all the lotto draws that happen in the world, each done every week or more, it's not that big a deal that this has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Surely the odds are 1 in 6, there being only 6 balls?

/trolling

The numbers coming out the first time round dont come into the probablity equation, its not like it had to be any of those numbers it could have been any combination of numbers.
    +1. The numbers from the previous draw of no bearing on the next draw. Its just very unlikely the same ones will be pulled twice becuase the probablities involved are so high

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Magnus wrote: »

Was just thinking that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Magnus wrote: »

4, 8, 15, 16, and 42 all Dublin bus routes

Coincidence?

Wazdakka wrote: »
    4, 8, 15, 16, and 42 all Dublin bus routes

Coincidence?

But no 23? The plot thickens...

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

Ammm...Seriously tho, why is the jackpot only 55,000 or so....Seems a wee bit teeny

jj72 wrote: »
    Ammm...Seriously tho, why is the jackpot only 55,000 or so....Seems a wee bit teeny
    Because its Romania?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Because its Romania?
    Really, read the OP. No. Really.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I think your missing something though:

Then the probability of those 6 numbers coming up in the next draw is the same as the probability of a single lotto ticket

Now the probability of you picking 6 numbers that comes up twice in a row is a different story!
    I meant the chances of it coming up twice.

The odds of any 6 balls being drawn in a 49 ball lotto are 1 in 13983816.

Does that mean the odds of it happeing twice in a row are 1 in 13983816^2? or 1.9554711 × 10^14

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Because its Romania?

Dude, just because its Romania doesn't mean that they can't have... awh! right i get it..

/leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Simple explination: in a recession busting attempt rather than re-recording the show they just played the same one again thus cutting wages to 1 night per week!

Sherifu wrote: »
    Really, read the OP. No. Really.
    Tomato, Tomatoe - Romania, Bulgaria :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Their lotto is worth feck all anyway

Advertisement