Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite North County Picture - No Pic = No Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Rogerstown Estuary. I really enjoy the estuary. Plenty of birds despite all the work going on. The 1st is looking up the estuary from beside the sailing club and the 2nd is looking down towards the harbour near the end of the road and gives a little glimpse of what agreat amenity we have on our doorstep.

Saturation boosted in Picasa, bit OTT.

3483726766_8011f5686d.jpg

3475990387_db94c36772_z.jpg

Good place to park the car and take a good walk when the tide is out. You can go over to the old tip at Balleally and up Rogerstown lane and take a right hand turn down a road which will bring you back to estuary.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Not so easy to post a photo here as it seems!

Where do you host your photographs?

I use flickr and do the following,
    1. Click on image
    2. select medium size
    3. copy url
    4. Paste it into insert email link - NOT INSERT IMAGE
    5. Click ok. Photo appears
    Sometimes 2 images go in and I just use the back arrow on keyboard to delete 1 of them.

Am sure there is someone more techy here who can help if you use another photo hosting site.

Flickr is free but you are limited in the amount of space you can use unless you have a pro account which is about $20 a year

Nice image you did post

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Skerries on windy and sunny day:

4790046228_65f4512a80_z.jpg

4789413665_246276ec50.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭sashasdad

IMG_0070.jpg

39075_1536485699187_1446190266_31446183_6722585_n.jpg
    Sunrise Rush South Shore

36735_1520082089107_1446190266_31401234_5581700_n.jpg

Sunrise Rush North Beach

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

Getting the train from Balbriggan is great view almost every morning, this is today... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

beefjerky wrote: »
    Getting the train from Balbriggan is great view almost every morning, this is today... :D

Incidentally, how do you post a pic in a post, rather than a link? sorry it's OT
    After you upload the pic...
    Right click on the link to the attachment & select Properties.
    Copy the URL & click cancel.
    Go back to the Reply to Thread panel & click the Insert Image button (insertimage.gif) paste the URL.
    Click OK.
    Click Submit Reply.
    Hey presto - Image inserted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

beefjerky - See LeoB's post above for how to make the pics smaller & also to host them.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

This is a pinhole camera image of the breakwater at Rush Harbour...

[IMG][/img]4541778496_2f36265a5c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

thats an amazing shot for a pinhole.

Martron wrote: »
    thats an amazing shot for a pinhole.

Thanks Martron et al, glad you like it.

I actually use a type of pinhole called a zone plate which works by diffracting the rays of light and so you get the softness and glow from the images.

This picture is part of a large number that I'm putting together on the harbours or Safe Havens of Ireland. This will take another two years to complete but rest assured that the harbours of Fingal will be well represented in a book and exhibition which I am working on.

I the meantime, I also shot a few pics of other nice places to visit in North County Dublin such as the Portico at Kenure....

[IMG][/img]4521493989_94e268d7d9.jpg

and from the 'inside'....

[IMG][/img]4521498249_854cb2edeb.jpg

For those who may be unaware of the recent history of Kenure House in Rush these pics are from a series I took of the only remaining part of the once stately home.

Kenure House which was owned by the Palmer Family of Rush, Co Dublin fell into disrepair by the late sixties and was subsequently purchased by the local authority who required the estate land for development. In what was a very sad and divisive move they elected to demolish 99.9% of the house rather than opt for restoration.

This left just the Portico which now stands as a reminder of an era when style and classic design were celebrated by the gentry here in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

took this from the back garden a while ago super to have this at the end of the garden

The 5-Sail or Great Windmill at Skerries with a pinhole camera :

[IMG][/img]4532336719_0be0c31e24.jpg

There was a bakery on the site up until the 1980's when it closed. Many people from the locality were employed in the bakery over the last couple of centuries, among them some relatives of mine - the most recent being my uncle Sammy.

Sammy used to deliver the hot baked bread to local shops and houses on a horsedrawn breadcart. I remember it was quite a sight and when I was a small boy he used to toss batch loaves down to me (you know the ones with the 'dimples') as he drove his horse and van by. I will always remember how the warm bread used to smell so delicious. By the time I got as far as the kitchen some pieces of the side of the bread would inevitably have been torn off so great was the temptation!

Well the Bakery was eventually sold and later underwent restoration along with the mills and now is a visitor centre with cafe, exhibition space and of course the mills are fully working. At harvest time the field beside the complex has a crop of oats which is cut with a steam threashing machine for the educational benefit of younger generations.

The 4-Sail Windmill is also nice to see:

[IMG][/img]4532971582_59087a4c47.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Great Story about Skerries Mills, I came across this photo online yesterday so I know I prob technical breaking the thread rule but thought the image would blend well with your mill photos. Photo from 1910-1930 Skerries.

123904.jpg

Great Story about Skerries Mills, I came across this photo online yesterday so I know I prob technical breaking the thread rule but thought the image would blend well with your mill photos. Photo from 1910-1930 Skerries.

123904.jpg

it would be great if you could repost this in the history thread.

Out with kids today and ended up parking in Summit car park in Howth. Well worth a vist and a few spots to have a picnic. Loads of people out walking which is good to see.. Paths are now marked as part of National Loop walks. Great idea.

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]4905352281_8f7606e4d4.jpg[/EMAIL]">

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]4905349027_5a255a090b.jpg[/EMAIL]">

Have to go back and get a better B&W image.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bmurphy8177

for what its worth here is my contribution. Take from Red Island in Skerries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭sashasdad

DSC00624.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭afterhours

howth2.jpg

howth.jpg

Cliff Climbing Howth. Was great fun!

cross.jpg

The brig

How do you shrink a photo to the screen? When I preview mine there too large for the screen.

How do you shrink a photo to the screen? When I preview mine there too large for the screen.

Unsure about this but if you use windows photo gallery to upload to P.C or laptop they should open as thumbnails, double click to open photo and it should open in new window, Or click the zoom button on task bar. and select 75% or 100%. If they are on flickr click on photo and select medium size.

Have seen this with a few posters in this and other threads. You could put post in Photography forum. They are very helpful folk

• Advertisement

125618.jpg

125619.jpg

125620.jpg

125621.jpg

125618.jpg

Like this. I woulf however crop a bit off both sides and bottom. Nice light on the Island

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Taken from the Bower in Balbriggan with a long exposure:

WEB_IMG_0807.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Taken this morning from Balbriggan Train Station on my Phone. Wish I had my camera with me.

7049ACBE5FD34CB8AB02487739220DD2-0000317871-0001890081-00800L-354A956229534FFE8F277C042FD7F693.jpg

not bad for a phone

[IMG][/img]4939321407_36b0d8c5d1.jpg

The Springers (or Springboards) is a popular bathing place in Skerries.

The place got its name from the fact that it originally had two very fine springboards from which you could dive into the water at high tide. These were subsequently damaged in some storms several decades ago and were never replaced.

It also had a metal platform some 60 metres out to which we used to swim and dive. This platform was known as 'The Girder'.

Recently, Fingal County Council decided to refurbish the Springers by replacing the seating areas and they also erected wheelchair friendly access complete with railings.

Now, the Council has come under some criticism for the aesthetic appeal of the development which, it must be said, owes much to the ehhhh... Albanian school of Architecture...that is to say it owes more to function than form.

Utilitarian it may be, but it is still a nice place from which to swim or simply to sit on a nice day looking out to sea, the islands or the beach at Skerries.

Hasselblad with 75mm zone plate (pinhole)

Do you shoot everything with a pinhole camera? Some of the photos look excellent, the pinhole really suits certain types of shot.

LeoB wrote: »
    Do you shoot everything with a pinhole camera? Some of the photos look excellent, the pinhole really suits certain types of shot.

Thanks Leo.

No, I use lenses from time to time too.:D

But for the gas I have been shooting these zone plate pinholes since last October. They suit some types of picture such as landscapes, seascapes and architecture where I want to convey mood more than detail, but I would never use them for portraits or anything where I wanted sharp details to be recorded.

Sometimes they say more about a place than a crisp shot might.

Glad you have enjoyed the few I have put up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

This was taken at sunrise at the beach near the O'Sheas

20090607170330_early%20start.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Best get some pics up in here too!

Bygone Days - Back of the Martello Tower in Balbriggan
    8FC52E61B7D3408F88553DB18FFCD506-500.jpg

Sailors Grave - Balbriggan:
    51E33289D992477594150D53B6D0FAD5-500.jpg

Rush Harbour
    C680AAD96A2141AD993CD24772827B4D-500.jpg