Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Common misconceptions universally accepted

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Wazdakka wrote: »
    people dont actually believe the lamp is a lie do they? its a lamp. beside a terrible photoshop.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

That we use only 10% of our brains.... in fact we use almost all of it, we arent sure what bits do what entirely yet, but we use the bulk of it and the majority of that is well mapped.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

DeVore wrote: »
    That we use only 10% of our brains.... in fact we use almost all of it, we arent sure what bits do what entirely yet, but we use the bulk of it and the majority of that is well mapped.

DeV.

That story stemmed from a misreporting of a study conducted nearly 60 years ago. The real finding was that only 10% of people use their brains. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

DeVore wrote: »

DeV.

isn't it that we only use 10% of our mental potential?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

McDonalds chips are not made from spuds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Didn't check if someone posted this but a lot of people still believe Prince got some of his ribs removed so he could give himself a bj :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

wilson10 wrote: »
    McDonalds chips are not made from spuds

Do you mean that that's the misconception or are you correcting the misconception that they ARE made from potatoes? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Namlub wrote: »
    Do you mean that that's the misconception or are you correcting the misconception that they ARE made from potatoes? :confused:

That's the annoying thing about this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Vitamin supplements are good for you.

In reality, they are a poor substitute for healthy eating, as vitamins are better absorbed from food rather than in pill form. And if you are getting all your required vitamins from your diet, taking vitamin pills will have no positive impact on your health, and taking very large doses may actually be harmful.

Also, taking extra vitamin C does nothing for you, excess vitamin C just gets pissed straight out into the jacks.

Also, there is not a shread of evidence that getting plenty of antioxidants in your diet helps your health. Antioxidants play an important role is your cells, but you don't get them there by eating them!

There's a whole load of similar mumbo jumbo about diet out there.
    dlofnep wrote: »
    Was actually thinking about this very issue on the way into college today.
    aidan24326 wrote: »
    And was written by his wife I believe

Very true, there's an almighty amount of nonsense about diet and nutrition, and when a spoofer like Gillian McKeith gets her own tv show you know there's a problem.

The man who won 2 Nobel prizes by himself disagrees as do the former victims of scurvy and countless other vitamin deficiency diseases. I think what you mean to say more accurately is that there is a lot of nonsense about vitamins as absorption is the critical factor but you kind of generalized.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

That cracking your knuckles causes arthritis over time. It doesn't!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Pff. What does it matter? You're going to get arthritis if you live long enough anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

isn't it that we only use 10% of our mental potential?

No. That is just a different version of the same myth. Devore is on the ball with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Misconception= Bears hibernate.

Truth= They sleep very heavily for up to two weeks at a time but do mooch about, scavenge and the females wake up to give birth. I think the term is 'Torpor'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Didn't check if someone posted this but a lot of people still believe Prince got some of his ribs removed so he could give himself a bj :confused:

That's rubbish, it was Marilyn Manson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A Doozer

Dog's cannot see what is on a tv screen... Oh yeah, they can.

Bull's are attracted to red.... Nope. Bulls are colour blind.

Oh and ducks' quacks do echo. I've heard it on many occassions.

To the gentleman who can't score in coppers, I think you might be doing it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Women can multi-task and men cannot.

It came from a study in the 50s where woman were asked to conduct a series of house hold tasks and men were then also asked to do the same tasks. The problem with the study was the tasks were ones the women had performed many times where the men had not.

Recent studies show woman are equally incapable of multi-tasking as men but people familiar with tasks can successfully maximise time by the ability to fill dead time of tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

You can't actually tip a cow. They don't even sleep standing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Kipperhell wrote: »
    Women can multi-task and men cannot.

It came from a study in the 50s where woman were asked to conduct a series of house hold tasks and men were then also asked to do the same tasks. The problem with the study was the tasks were ones the women had performed many times where the men had not.

Recent studies show woman are equally incapable of multi-tasking as men but people familiar with tasks can successfully maximise time by the ability to fill dead time of tasks.

Here's another common misconception - some people believe that people believe that only women can multi-task.

Whereas the truth is that nobody believes that. It's sh*te that's perpetuated by people trying to sell you kitchen paper or some other bollocksie rubbish.

Namlub wrote: »

I was asked for a common misconception universally accepted and I believe this to be one, though I stand to be corrected.

Perhaps they really aren't potatoes after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

One beaten into us at a early age is ;

" 2 + 2 = 4 "

But when dealing with large values of 2 ;

" 2 + 2 = 5 "

Edit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_%2B_2_%3D_5

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

But when dealing with large numbers ;
    " 2 + 2 = 5 "

Fail.

My Grannie used to say "Money can't buy happiness", and I used to believe her.
    I used to believe in the tooth fairy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

The Frosties Kid did not kill himself nor was he beaten to death by bullies.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

wilson10 wrote: »
    My Grannie used to say "Money can't buy happiness", and I used to believe her.
    I used to believe in the tooth fairy too.
    In a way she's right, what you should have said is "perhaps, but having **** loads of money does make you happy".

ScumLord wrote: »
    In a way she's right, what you should have said is "perhaps, but having **** loads of money does make you happy".

Gimme the money and I'll bet I can prove her wrong.

I could be ecstatically happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

The Holocaust!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭chiliconparmi

asdasd wrote: »
    Maybe, but it doesnt matter to the logic of the sentence, does it. Its a small step for him, and a giant step ( or was it leap?) for ManKind. He said that as he stepped off the last rung onto the moon.

It doesn’t make sense

One small step for Man, one giant leap for mankind basically means one small step for mankind, one giant leap for mankind.

If you think about it, one small step for MAN(when you say MAN it is stating mankind as in humanity, so the sentence contradicted itself)

it should have definitely been one small step for A man, one giant leap for mankind

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1190819/One-small-mistake--The-proof-Neil-Armstrong-got-famous-One-small-step-man-Moon-landing-line-WRONG.html

http://www.unexplainable.net/artman/publish/article_717.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Sugarglass

irish_bob wrote: »
    was most likely already mentioned but i cant be bothered reading every page

that frankenstien was the creator and not the monster

Dr. Frankenstien was the creator. Not once in the book is the creation given a name and no one ever calls him Frankenstein. He is called "monster", "dæmon", "fiend", "wretch" and "it".

Sorry if this is what you meant but your statement is quite ambiguous, I wasn't sure if you were saying that Frankenstein being the name of the monster was a misconception or that is was the creator's name was a misconception.

Advertisement