Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Common misconceptions universally accepted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

The president of Iran saying he would wipe out Israel. He said something like he would remove thier role from the History books

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

m@cc@ wrote: »
    The Celts were around a long time before the 'brittish'.

But the "British" were the celtic tribes that lived in England, those that call them selves British now, are the Anglo-Saxon's whom replaced them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

A-ha!

That the Anglo Saxons replaced the Britons is a common misconception....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Halla Basin

Did you know that iPods don't actually play music at all? aha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Did you know that iPods don't actually play music at all? aha

???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Halla Basin

Namlub wrote: »
    ???

Hm, it's true. Turns out it's merely a collection of samples from Paint it Black, which technically isn't a song at all.

ye, it means 'wales vagina'

I thought that was Charlotte Church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Hm, it's true. Turns out it's merely a collection of samples from Paint it Black, which technically isn't a song at all.

But a DIY painting tutorial?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

asdasd wrote: »
    A-ha!

That the Anglo Saxons replaced the Britons is a common misconception....

Correct :) They (along with Jutes and Freisians) just became the dominant group in basically what is modern day England and the Germanic language they spoke also took over. 'white' English have a lot of influences like the Romans, Vikings, French-Normans and Irish but the main mixture is of the native Briton and the 'Anglo-Saxon' invader. There's also some debate on whether the East of England was already a Germanic speaking area though before the Anglo-Saxons ever arrived.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Gullable is not in the dictionary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

It's certainly not in mine anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

"There will be cake."

There is no cake:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

A-Trak wrote: »
    There is no cake:(

The cake is a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

javaboy wrote: »
    It's certainly not in mine anyway.

Spelt with one "l", guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Spelt with one "l", guys.

Someone missed the sarcasm....

*face palm*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Pighead wrote: »
    The Immaculate Conception should be renamed The Immaculate Misconception. 90% of Pighead religious Aunties have got the whole thing arseways. They are convinced that The Immaculate Conception refers to the conception of Jesus Christ. But they're wrong. It actually means that Mary herself was preserved from original sin, that she was born without a sin nature, and that she lived a sinless life.

Doesn't matter the whole story is BS anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Nolanger wrote: »
    Ireland is a land of a thousand welcomes :p

its the land of a thousand free euros (first social welfare payment backdated 5weeks)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Pighead wrote: »
    The Immaculate Conception should be renamed The Immaculate Misconception. 90% of Pighead religious Aunties have got the whole thing arseways. They are convinced that The Immaculate Conception refers to the conception of Jesus Christ. But they're wrong. It actually means that Mary herself was preserved from original sin, that she was born without a sin nature, and that she lived a sinless life.
    Is religion just a very popular misconception.

Mind you if there is a god out there and especially if there is only one god then I am on his side. I will need to be looked after though for my support in case this God is under any misconception.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Someone missed the sarcasm....

*face palm*

Yup. It was you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Does **** really make you go blind? No way, thats mad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

orourkeda wrote: »
    Does **** really make you go blind? No way, thats mad.

kywljlfg gtuwi dhkuwg wtegd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

TheZohan wrote: »
    kywljlfg gtuwi dhkuwg wtegd.

Leave yourself alone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

A ducks quack does echo!!!

:S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Edsgravy0

On movie quotes:

Dirty Harry never said 'Do you feel lucky, punk?', he said something like 'you gotta ask yourself one simple question: do I feel lucky? Well do ya, punk?'

It's not 'Luke, I am your father', it's 'No. I am your father'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Some common misconceptions about the sale of goods and supply of services act

You are not automatically entitled to a refund/credit note if you return an item because you changed your mind about it.
    This especially applies to clothing,as so many people return clothing,because they decided it "didn't suit" or "didn't fit."
    As long as the store provided changing room facilities,for you to try on the item then they don't have to give you a refund.(If they didn't,you have a case)
    There is also something regarding faulty products in relation to clothing.
    I think you are only legally entitled to a refund,if the fault/damage was not visible under "reasonable inspection".(Maybe buying a top that was obviously ripped at a discount price,then coming back looking for a refund.)
    Almost all stores will give you a refund/credit note in the above cases,but this is in the interest of portraying good will with the customer.
    It is not an automatic right.

(If you have a real faulty product,and haven't just changed your mind,then you ARE entitled to some sort of redress. You also have the right to choose what it is.For example,if the store will only offer a credit note,you CAN demand a full refund.)

Another common misconception is that you can't return item's bought at a sale. Items sold at a sale are still covered by the act,and signs such as "No refunds on sale items" are actually illegal.

(The only time you wont be entitled to a refund on sale items,is if they were on sale because of being faulty,and this was very obvious or specifically pointed out to you before sale.)

Some shop owners get away with all sorts,because people don't know their rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

"Weapons Mass Destruction".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

That agriculture came before towns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

Cianos wrote: »
    That agriculture came before towns.

it does in my dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

All history is accurate and modern civilization began with the Renaissance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm a nice guy.

Advertisement