Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You say ooh ooh, I say ban the Veronicas - WORST lyrics ever?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

I've had to listen to this ham for the last two weeks, it's so atrocious I'm thinking of moving to another country where they've banned it (probably plenty of them).

Am I missing something with this song, it's huge, massive and yet has lyrics like:
    "la la la la laaa la la la la lalalalalala"

"I wanna wanna wanna get get get what I want
    Don't stop
    "

"See you, breathe you,
    I want to be you
    Alalalala alalalala"

"Give me give me give me all of you you
    Don't be scared"

Yeah don't be scared.

I mean, Jesus, this is the kind of music 6 year old girls make up in their bedrooms when Blue was alive.

This has bothered me for too long at this stage, and I've been hiding it and bottling it up. I need some kind of validation.

+1 OP. Worst lyrics since....I don't even know when! You go ooh ooh i go ahh ahh lalalalalalala :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Oh sweet lord when it first started I was thinking Coldplay and was about to turn it off then it turned into something the Killers would do... oh sweet jahsus its shocking.

Probably would though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Kold wrote: »
    The message is, music can be judged on several criteria and by picking those 3, you are being somewhat close-minded.

Closed minded?

For thinking critically and coming to a conclusion? I'd like to think not. It's not like i randomly decided to hate lyrics, nor am i blindly following the crowd (which is where closed-mindedness usually comes in to the equation).
    As for Muse, they are better musicians than your average pop group. But only just. They are incredibly accessible and not all that rewarding though.

Surely that is a good thing?

Meh, most modern pop music is as bad if not worse. Singling out one group is a bit unfair, plus they have given The Chaser a lot of material so for that alone I give them a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SYLT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    I don't think it's a massive song on account of the lyrics. Most big songs aren't...
    I don't think it's a massive song based on the lyrics either, literally the lyrics are the worst aspect of the song, yet it's exteremely popular on radio. I'm fairly sure it's inserted by the musical industry (IRMA, BMG, Sony Europe, Warner etc.) and played for the mandatory two weeks around (no joke) 6 times a day, depending on popularity.

On any given day in a pop music station a variation of about 35 popular songs are played (at least thats what comes to mind when you think about it). It goes from the morning programme, to the lunchtime one, then into the afternoon programme - all music and all the same tracks repeated several times throughout the day. Yet theres more music in this world than we can count. Insane!

Kold wrote: »
    I guess I am an art wanker but I'm not a poser.

The message is, music can be judged on several criteria and by picking those 3, you are being somewhat close-minded.

As for Muse, they are better musicians than your average pop group. But only just. They are incredibly accessible and not all that rewarding though.
    BE an art wanker, it's great. And **** those who criticise, especially if they just like popular music. They haven't found the ecstacy of music yet, genuine music, music written for the sake of enjoyment, not BMG's share price, Beyonce's fame addiction, perfume and clothes lines, the entertainment industries next big expose, all the monetary benefits that grow out of that horrible tumour that is the music industry and the sole fact that none of it has ANYTHING to do with music.

The reward I get from music is immense, it will carry me through life, boosting me, just like food keeps me alive - and I am serious when I say that, as corny as this **** sounds. Lets keep it simple, I get the greatest kick ever out of music, it's accessible, it's an easy format to carry around, it's melodies, rhythms do something to my brain to get juices flowing, my happiness increases and I get through this tough life because of it.
    I've cut all ties with the popular media. My TV is gone, I rarely listen to the radio, the only time I do is first thing in the morning but even when I'm in the car I can't leave it on for to long, as soon as a song comes on I just have to switch it off.

My life is so much better for it, I don't have to hear about every dead child/stab victim or paedophile in the world while I'm eating my dinner. I don't have to listen to horrible, horrible music and I don't give a damn what the government are doing because their not my government any more.
    I agree completely and lots of others are following as well, I can't believe the amount of people who I mention to "I don't watch telly anymore" and they say "Same, it's so bad!".

vinylmesh wrote: »
    [Incredibly accessible,] Surely that is a good thing?
    It's not a good thing necessarily, just like work the easy route isn't necessarily the most rewarding. Muse are interesting musicians, but even for me they just about make it 80% of the way. I initially love Muse music, and then grow tired quickly. The album "Showbiz" stands out a lot to me, the newer stuff and they're starting to lose what they had.

Other bands that go 95 and 100% I can love in ten years time just as much as the first day I heard them. Theres something there, subconscious or the fact that you know there in it for the music, some energy thats ultimate, it lasts and has unbelievable passion behind it.

You'll only know yourself whether certain bands do it for you or not, you'll know what the feeling is like if you do - they're the first thing you listen to in the morning and you are excited to do it as well. It sets you up for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

vinylmesh wrote: »
    Kurt Cobain once said "music first, lyrics second".

Ironic.

Speaking of lyrical quality declining, look no further than Biffy Clyro. Three albums of interesting lyrics and intricate instrumentals...then they signed to a major and it all went to **** (well not for them, they're probably minted now). I think the overwhelming demand is for catchy melodies with simple lyrics that you don't have to think about. Bands are copping onto that and milking it.

PS the worst lyrics and the worst song ever ****ing written by anyone is that one that's out at the moment- shake, shake, shake, shake it. ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

I love that song. I don't listen to the radio regularly though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Steoob wrote: »
    http://blog.peta2.com/veronicas.jpg

You ****in would though. Jesus. And you KNOW they like to get freaky.

I met them in the Hilton in Sydney they are tiny...sexy tiny.

Even think about Regina Spektor, two excellent albums at the start - Songs and Soviet Kitsch. She was crazy on these albums, really vibrant, energetic, totally original. Then she got big, I bought Begin To Hope, and theres the introduction of drum machines and a toning down of the madness, a definite more pop direction and it's not horrible but it's not HER anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

They're hot Aussie twins who have been known to indulge in some same sex activities. Leave them at it I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭chachabinx

Doesn't help that they sound like a load of dying giraffes!

I love that song. I don't listen to the radio regularly though.
    You're the only one.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    They're hot Aussie twins who have been known to indulge in some same sex activities. Leave them at it I say.
    Absolutley, leave them at that stuff, in private of course. Just don't expose us to your music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

You're the only one.

So?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭chachabinx

Even think about Regina Spektor, two excellent albums at the start - Songs and Soviet Kitsch. She was crazy on these albums, really vibrant, energetic, totally original. Then she got big, I bought Begin To Hope, and theres the introduction of drum machines and a toning down of the madness, a definite more pop direction and it's not horrible but it's not HER anymore.

I went into a tent where she was playin in oxegen to get out of the rain... and I honestly thought it was James Blunt on stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Was thinking this myself...it's a ****e song and I turn it off when it comes on. Bring back the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

I fcuking love this song !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Berkut wrote: »
    Yep...you can't beat the Black Eyed Peas for crap lyrics...or Bono for the ****e lyrics in U2 songs.
    Whoa how was this one let slip past?

Under a blood-red sky
    A crowd has gathered in black and white
    Arms entwined, the chosen few,
    The newspapers say, say, say it's true
    And we can break through,
    Though torn in two, we can be one

You best be trolling man, U2 lyrics are undesputedly brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Lol.

chachabinx wrote: »
    I went into a tent where she was playin in oxegen to get out of the rain... and I honestly thought it was James Blunt on stage!
    Like I say depends what she was playing, new stuff - a bit James Bluntish, but way better at the same time. Old stuff - you would have run out scared, because she was crazy.

So?
    So snot.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Indeed.

"A mole
    Digging in a hole
    Digging up my soul now
    Going down, excavation"

Inspirational :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

In fairness Xavi - the next verse in the very same song:
    High and high in the sky
    You make me feel like I can fly
    So high
    Elevation

Is arguably worse.

And more classic U2 lyrics:

Yeah sexy boots
    Get on your boots yeah

If someone’s into blowing up
    We’re into growing up

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

/watches again

This ^^^^ leads to this for me, that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Am I missing something with this song, it's huge, massive and yet has lyrics like:
    "la la la la laaa la la la la lalalalalala"

I mean, Jesus, this is the kind of music 6 year old girls make up in their bedrooms when Blue was alive.

This has bothered me for too long at this stage, and I've been hiding it and bottling it up. I need some kind of validation.

Good enough for the Beatles and they're the most praised band of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭kryptyk500

We can't forget the Cranberries:

'You must have nothing more with your time to do
    there's a war in Russia and Sarajevo too'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Worst lyrics ever.

The killers.

/thread.

Advertisement