Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,179 ✭✭✭✭L1011

busyatwork wrote: »
    Why is sligo to belfast a non runner

NI won't fund it easily. Although the A4 has received huge works recently, that's likeky it for a decade plus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Fencing been done arouned corofin

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

L1011 wrote: »
    NI won't fund it easily. Although the A4 has received huge works recently, that's likeky it for a decade plus

The road from Sligo to the border is being worked on in increments. There's a fairly good standard road from Glencar to Manorhamilton, they widened another kilometre of it above Glencar about two years ago.

There was also about 1km of the worst section realigned east of Manorhamilton at the same time, getting rid of one of the most dangerous crossroads along that road. A further 1.5km of the worst section between Manorhamilton and Glenfarne is due to be realigned this year.

It's still a pretty snaky road though, with some very narrow twisty sections. It's one of the the least trafficked N-roads in Ireland so the NRA aren't going to throw a bag of cash at it any time soon, Leitrim County Council just seem to widen one or two kilometres of it whenever they get a bit of money. From the border to Enniskillen the road's pretty poor too, and Fermanagh District Council don't seem too pushed on widening it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

glineli wrote: »
    The old school at Kiltiernan getting knocked down this morning

Is this the one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

D Trent wrote: »
    Is this the one?

That's it, they only had the side of the house cleared when I was on the way home from work but digger still there and cones on the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭busyatwork

Anything new going on the gort end ,,f all happening up here on the tuam end

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭ratracer

Anything new going on the gort end ,,f all happening up here on the tuam end

I might get some pictures in the next few days but most of the work is happening around the Kiltiernan interchange, off the main N18. A lot of clearance work going on, trees/hedges/ditches removed along the route and on the road. Clearance markers being put up around power lines etc. Can't remember the name of the sub-contractor doing the work there off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

No real movement in Tuam area... I have a drive around at the weekend

Just clearance going on in the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 13 klutch

are sisk going doing their own groundwork? i thought they would get roadbridge to do it, any truth in coffeys getting lagan's section or is all rumors from people jumping on the band wagon?

• Advertisement

Lads gone on strike at annagh hill over pay roscommon road n63

m17 wrote: »
    Lads gone on strike at annagh hill over pay roscommon road n63

A dont start thats all is needed maby its to cold for them

klutch wrote: »
    are sisk going doing their own groundwork? i thought they would get roadbridge to do it, any truth in coffeys getting lagan's section or is all rumors from people jumping on the band wagon?

Well that it its doomed if coffeys are involved

Coffeys are a joke look what happened in Westside Galway over budget and time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

m17 wrote: »
    Coffeys are a joke look what happened in Westside Galway over budget and time

Not their fault GCC didn't know where their own sewer pipes were going.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Not their fault GCC didn't know where their own sewer pipes were going.

It never seems to be coffeys fault !M7 wasnt their falt ,,haven worked for them expect plenty of striks over pay and the carry on the go on with

It never seems to be coffeys fault !M7 wasnt their falt ,,haven worked for them expect plenty of striks over pay and the carry on the go on with

Most of the problems with SQR were not the fault of Coffeys, they were given bad information by the council (including being told they could use land that the it turned out the council didn't own) that lead to the delays and overruns.

As for the M7, do you have any proof which of the three companies involved in that consortium (Coffey Construction Ltd, Michael McNamara Company and Mota-Engil (Portuguese company)) & caused the problem with the lack of payment?

antoobrien wrote: »
    Most of the problems with SQR were not the fault of Coffeys, they were given bad information by the council (including being told they could use land that the it turned out the council didn't own) that lead to the delays and overruns.

As for the M7, do you have any proof which of the three companies involved in that consortium (Coffey Construction Ltd, Michael McNamara Company and Mota-Engil (Portuguese company)) & caused the problem with the lack of payment?

It was the consortium they made up wouldnt pay plus coffeys left their section unfinished thats a great company ,,now maby their head men are the problem but they never really caught up with other companies ,their plant and machinery is mostly scrap and they spend more money fixing it than anything else
    they were more interested in property and houses than civil engineering work bar a few projects

• Registered Users Posts: 13 klutch

i worked for coffeys and i wouldnt let them do footpaths after the limerick to nenagh road job.. not a clue and rough plant , FH 450.3 diggers on a job that cost 425 million and sinking in a bog.. clueless so they are.. but on topic of the gort - tuam job did anyone else hear that about lagan giving their section to coffeys and sisk doing their own.. surely coffeys wouldnt get it and they not having any decent plant

klutch wrote: »
    i worked for coffeys and i wouldnt let them do footpaths after the limerick to nenagh road job.. not a clue and rough plant , FH 450.3 diggers on a job that cost 425 million and sinking in a bog.. clueless so they are.. but on topic of the gort - tuam job did anyone else hear that about lagan giving their section to coffeys and sisk doing their own.. surely coffeys wouldnt get it and they not having any decent plant

Well i wasnt the only man that was workin on the **** up that was limrick to nenenagh ,,,
    some horrid messing went on ,

but who else is around ,all the big earth moooving contractors are gone bar wills and their workin for bam civil at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GDSGR8

I'm not sure disgruntled ex employees are best placed to comment on their former employers. Anyway, MEIC fixed the problem on the N7 and IIRC the issue was a design related one in the first place?

GDSGR8 wrote: »
    I'm not sure disgruntled ex employees are best placed to comment on their former employers. Anyway, MEIC fixed the problem on the N7 and IIRC the issue was a design related one in the first place?

Iam not a disgruntled employee i was too smart for them to catch me out ,its just i know the company and cant see how they will be capable of taking on such a large project

[IMG][/img]8hsAsC_thumb.jpg

[IMG][/img]6Y2Pff_thumb.jpg

The buildings in the distance is the Westwing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    [IMG][/img]8hsAsC_thumb.jpg

Lovely jubbly, roll on 2018! Shame they're referring to it as the 'N17/N18' scheme when we know it's going to be (mostly) motorway, and even underneath where they talk about the 'N17/N18' they themselves state '57 km of motorway'!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

Taken yesterday at Kilternan

• Registered Users Posts: 13,198 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Is there any chance that some sections of this project might open earlier?

i.e. phased openings?

For example, the Tuam bypass could be done earlier, and opened in advance of the mainline south.

Also, the section from Gort to crossing the N18 at Kiltiernan.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Highly unlikely unless they run into problems ala M7 in Annaholty Bog, in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Tuam is probably the most horrendous town in Ireland...please let them open this section first:)

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »
    Is there any chance that some sections of this project might open earlier?

i.e. phased openings?

For example, the Tuam bypass could be done earlier, and opened in advance of the mainline south.

Also, the section from Gort to crossing the N18 at Kiltiernan.

I'd love to see a phased opening on the M17 side - first Tuam then the junction at Annagh Hill on the N63 - but I can't see it happening as I don't think the N63 would take the extra traffic.

Realistically I think there are two sections that could be opened early (if the sections are ready) the Tuam bypass and Gort - Kiltiernan, however I don't think that it will happen.

Advertisement