Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wtd2008

When can we reasonably expect it to open? Seems like there are so many delays so far.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

wtd2008 wrote: »
    When can we reasonably expect it to open? Seems like there are so many delays so far.

The only date we've been given is 2018. There's no indication of when in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Chatting to a crew working for roadbridge wont see plant on site for another month or so , makes no sence to me why they would start during the winter , their has to be a reason ?????

There's some ground testing work to be done, which is due to start next month.
    ?
    Isn't most of this fenced already? I thought Gort to Athenry was anyway.

There are sections that the landowners asked for it to be fenced off, I think there's some done between Anagh Hill & the Monivea Rd.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

This thread is like watching paint dry, I can't believe we had contract sign back in April or thereabouts and still nothing on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

spacetweek wrote: »
    This thread is like watching paint dry, I can't believe we had contract sign back in April or thereabouts and still nothing on the ground.

The combination of an electioneering stunt (getting the contracts signed and the sod turned by the Taoiseach in the weeks before the local elections) and the sluggish activity in civil engineering projects (availability of plant/machinery etc.) has contributed to this frustrating delay. It will start; maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

Waiting for the by election to announce the start !!!!. would it surprise anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Does anyone know what the plan for the N17 is north of this scheme ? 2+2 ?

Does anyone know what the plan for the N17 is north of this scheme ? 2+2 ?

Type 2 DC. The preferred route was selected in 2009 and submitted to NRA, details are available on the Galway Co. Co. project page.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

red bull wrote: »
    Waiting for the by election to announce the start !!!!. would it surprise anyone?

its started, engineers on the ground looking for compounds, sites to take fill. Machinery will follow... be patient! Fencing will soon start, 2018 will come and go M17 in place, what will we talk about then....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

f2 wrote: »
    Fencing will soon start, 2018 will come and go M17 in place, what will we talk about then....
    How brutal the traffic in Galway is! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

its started, engineers on the ground looking for compounds, sites to take fill. Machinery will follow... be patient! Fencing will soon start, 2018 will come and go M17 in place, what will we talk about then....

Commencement of funding of the M20 please God.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭PopIT

Hi All, Is there anywhere to get a more detailed map of the new motorway especially around Ardrahan?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 oisin_reme

What level of detail are you looking for, the EIS and scheme map are available from the Galway CC website?

Something that might show where the road comes near to boundary lines like on the County Council website. I can see the road but it is not how close it is coming to a house we currently renting. Looking at the map it is supposed to come right over the house!

The CPO schedule and deposit maps are also on the website, sorry I can't provide a link but if you google N18 CPO maps it's the first link that comes up.

These show all lands acquired for the project and should show buildings to be demolished also (which are also listed in the EIS)

Also, all buildings to be demolished have already been taken over by the PPP Co. so it shouldn't include the house you're living in now.

PopIT wrote: »
    Something that might show where the road comes near to boundary lines like on the County Council website. I can see the road but it is not how close it is coming to a house we currently renting. Looking at the map it is supposed to come right over the house!

The Galway Co Co project page has all the necessary links the the three component projects of the scheme: http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/RoadsTransportation/RoadProjects/N17N18GorttoTuamScheme/

The deposit maps for the M18 section are available here: http://www.galway.ie/RoadProjects/n18orangort/depmaps.htm

Thank you. Just looking at the section and it does not show our house on it but does show a farm house just over the road from us and they seem a good closer then us to it.

EDIT: Would I be right in saying that all in red boundary is the CPO area?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

A new works access site has been opened near the Kiltiernan interchange this week, just off the Ardrahan - Kinvara road. Not entirely sure this is for the motorway construction, but I wouldn't imagine anything else that close to the site of the junction would be allowed at this stage.

Anybody have experience , good or bad, in taking fill from the contractors to reclaim land, they are promising to turn a hole into ground you can cut silage on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GDSGR8

Anybody have experience , good or bad, in taking fill from the contractors to reclaim land, they are promising to turn a hole into ground you can cut silage on

You'll probably need to get a waste licence to accept the material. Other than that, it should be fine as long as they're one of the well known contractors.

ratracer wrote: »
    A new works access site has been opened near the Kiltiernan interchange this week, just off the Ardrahan - Kinvara road. Not entirely sure this is for the motorway construction, but I wouldn't imagine anything else that close to the site of the junction would be allowed at this stage.

I see from yesterdays Connacht Tribune that this was just some environmentallists moving a field of flowers from the site to somewhere else. I cant find an online link, I read an actual paper for once!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

You used to be able to get a land reclamation licence from the council a few years ago. Don’t if that exists still or are they all gone down the route of waste landfills in which case you would need to get a waste permit licence. Was you land identified at planning stage as being an “excess material recovery area”. In a nut shell you will never have good silage ground after they do a job on it, believe me. You will always have a problem with soakage and drainage. The will have to put a pigs back hump in the middle to throw the water off. They will never put enough topsoil back to make it any way successful. It will only be good for sheep for the first few years till the skin thickens on it. If you have an existing fence it will usually be rendered useless following the works. Look at it this way, if you have low ****e ground that you only every graze a few cattle on and is soft/waterlogged during spells of the year then you have nothing to lose. If you have a good silage field and they promise you they will raise it and make better, I would be very wary.

BTW can you send on a snap of the field in question.

Its low ground, some would never had a tractor drive over it, they are talking new fences and drains where necessary. They are organising waste permits etc, They have said they are willing to put this in writing so it seems worth the gamble!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 flat 2 the.....

Make sure you know what they will be tipping in your land and they dont end up useing it as a lagoon for wet bog which might never dry out again

• Registered Users Posts: 33 rickjames16

Any of that money from yesterday going towards the road ? I go from Ennis to Galway every day and have endured 9 weeks of roadworks now and am burnt from it .. Journey time home this year has gone from 1 hr and 10 to 1 hr and 50 ! All these road works on one stretch of road .. Ardrahan then oranmore , now the claregalway side of Oran more and also the gort Ennis motorway ! I'm sure everyone else is getting very fed up also .. Added to that is the increased traffic now at oranmore and clarenbridge in the mornings ! Waiting and waiting and waiting for this road to start .. I think at this stage I need to give up and try and find a job closer to home ! Enda s turf turning exercise has only frustrated me more and the entire lack of communication .. We have gotten how many announcements now that the project was about the start and then always silence ! #fed up

Any of that money from yesterday going towards the road ?

Money is already there, contracts signed.

Up to the contractors now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Any of that money from yesterday going towards the road ? I go from Ennis to Galway every day and have endured 9 weeks of roadworks now and am burnt from it .. Journey time home this year has gone from 1 hr and 10 to 1 hr and 50 ! All these road works on one stretch of road .. Ardrahan then oranmore , now the claregalway side of Oran more and also the gort Ennis motorway ! I'm sure everyone else is getting very fed up also .. Added to that is the increased traffic now at oranmore and clarenbridge in the mornings ! Waiting and waiting and waiting for this road to start .. I think at this stage I need to give up and try and find a job closer to home ! Enda s turf turning exercise has only frustrated me more and the entire lack of communication .. We have gotten how many announcements now that the project was about the start and then always silence ! #fed up

I am going from Crusheen to Galway, gone from about 40 minutes to an hour. Driving home yesterday evening, a lovely evening, around 6 and all the parked machinery on the M18. Why isnt there work taking place throughout the evening and even the night. They have shut down a motorway for gods sake. Its a joke. Any other country would work through the night to get it open as soon as possible.

The roadworks in Ardrahan were required for the heavy machinery that will be moving on site i believe. They would have destroyed the road otherwise.

glineli wrote: »
    I am going from Crusheen to Galway, gone from about 40 minutes to an hour. Driving home yesterday evening, a lovely evening, around 6 and all the parked machinery on the M18. Why isnt there work taking place throughout the evening and even the night. They have shut down a motorway for gods sake. Its a joke. Any other country would work through the night to get it open as soon as possible.

The roadworks in Ardrahan were required for the heavy machinery that will be moving on site i believe. They would have destroyed the road otherwise.

This.

I understand not being able to work on roads in the night time when there is widespread disrution of residential areas. I cannot understand how a motorway was allowed to be closed for four days to facilitate roadworks that could and should have been done at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

You can take a train from Ennis to Galway in about 1hr15mins, the first train on weekday mornings leaves Ennis at 06:49 and arrives at Galway at 08:10 plenty of time for connecting buses.

Use the existing infrastructure.

Advertisement