Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ratracer

muchos04 wrote: »
    What about people going to Clarinbridge and Kilcolgan?? what exit would they use if the Kiltiernan exit wasn't in the plans??

I would imagine either off at Gort or into Oranmore. I will be using the kilternan exit quite a lot, but the traffic volume will be tiny using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

I will be using the kilternan exit quite a lot, but the traffic volume will be tiny using it.
    Could this be a case of planning ahead and building for the future? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

tharlear wrote: »
    Could this be a case of planning ahead and building for the future? :-)

No, it's just buttering up local politicians and avoiding appeals.

Like where Moate and Ballinasloe both get two motorway junctions each, with most of their traffic entering at one and leaving at the other. A national Motorway being used as a bypass for small country towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Taytomal

Now that they have the go-ahead for the Motorway, what are the chances that the M17/M18 interchange at Rathmorrisy can be changed from a triple decker roundabout? Or are those plans set in stone?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

When will work start on site, will the area be surveyed again, I noticed when the Gort Limerick was been done, first to be seen was bridges , flyovers, also there seemed to be emergency access to the site at regular intervals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Taytomal wrote: »
    Now that they have the go-ahead for the Motorway, what are the chances that the M17/M18 interchange at Rathmorrisy can be changed from a triple decker roundabout? Or are those plans set in stone?

Set in stone in my view. Absolute utter madness in my opinion.

This is the proposed M20 - M40 junction.

aywwo9.jpg

Would most likely cost the same as the proposed M6 - M17 - M18 junction but would be completely freeflow. Would cost about the same I'd imagine too.

This road is needed so badly, Galway drivers already have a terrible reputation for slow/poor driving. This evening i nearly blew a gasket driving from Limerick to Mayo.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055414087&page=17

A girl driving less than 50kph from Gort to Kilcolgan, 30kph around the bends. Easily two miles of traffic stuck behind her by the time the Gardai pulled her over in Kilcolgan. She hogged the white line the whole way and was nearly responsible for several accidents with people desperate to overtake her.

From what i have seen on the Gort - Tuam route this is very common.

PLease Please Please try and open this road early and save me a few grey hairs.

This road is needed so badly, Galway drivers already have a terrible reputation for slow/poor driving. This evening i nearly blew a gasket driving from Limerick to Mayo.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055414087&page=17

A girl driving less than 50kph from Gort to Kilcolgan, 30kph around the bends. Easily two miles of traffic stuck behind her by the time the Gardai pulled her over in Kilcolgan. She hogged the white line the whole way and was nearly responsible for several accidents with people desperate to overtake her.

From what i have seen on the Gort - Tuam route this is very common.

PLease Please Please try and open this road early and save me a few grey hairs.

You should start a thread in the motors forum about this. What age was the woman in question. No doubt there were more boardsies caught up in this.

You should start a thread in the motors forum about this. What age was the woman in question. No doubt there were more boardsies caught up in this.

She was early twenties with some other fella in the front. She had 30 minutes to pull over and didn't try once even though the road has a decent hard shoulder. Gardai tailed her for a few minutes and then stopped her.

She had an L Plate but should not be near a road, she's more dangerous than any boy racer.

The problem with that road is the overtaking opportunities are limited on a weekend like this. Everybody ends up doing the same speed as the slowest person on the road. Some of those hard shoulders should be converted to an extra overtaking lane for short lengths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭paddydone1

She was early twenties with some other fella in the front. She had 30 minutes to pull over and didn't try once even though the road has a decent hard shoulder. Gardai tailed her for a few minutes and then stopped her.

She had an L Plate but should not be near a road, she's more dangerous than any boy racer.

The problem with that road is the overtaking opportunities are limited on a weekend like this. Everybody ends up doing the same speed as the slowest person on the road. Some of those hard shoulders should be converted to an extra overtaking lane for short lengths.
    Sounds like the local girl from gort, she is brutal 50kph all the way to galway, tail back as far as the eye can see. She is a very dangerous driver hogs the white line all the time.

• Advertisement

Started a thread on this topic on the motors forum. More apt place for it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90270386#post90270386

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

f2 wrote: »
    When will work start on site, will the area be surveyed again, I noticed when the Gort Limerick was been done, first to be seen was bridges , flyovers, also there seemed to be emergency access to the site at regular intervals

It will begin by the end of the month.

http://www.galwayindependent.com/20140507/news/work-on-new-gort-to-tuam-motorway-to-begin-S37413.html
    Sisk & Son will begin work later this month on a section of the new road between Gort and Tuam as part of the DirectRoute consortium, which has been selected for the project by the National Roads Authority.

DirectRoute will design, build, finance operate and maintain the 57km stretch of dual-carriageway road and its associated infrastructure. The consortium consists of John Sisk & Son, Strabag, Roadbridge, Lagan, InfraRed Capital Partners and Marguerite Fund.

There's nothing new in the article besides comments from Shannon and Knock airports about how it benefits both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Just did Tuam to Cork today and back.... god that road can't open quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Another bit on the sod turning.............

http://www.clare.fm/news/gorttuam-motorway-project-be-opened

The Taoiseach will be on hand to mark the official beginning of construction on the new Gort to Tuam Motorway today.

Enda Kenny, Transport Minister Leo Varadkar and other government representatives are due in Gort this afternoon to turn the sod for the M18/M17 which will link Ennis to Galway by motorway by 2018.

The 550 million euro project is expected to create up to 450 jobs in construction and significantly ease traffic congestion as it will-pass Clarinbridge, Claregalway and Tuam.

Prior to this afternoon's event, Enda Kenny is also due to canvass voters in Ennis ahead of the local and European elections in two weeks’ time.

and here...........

http://galwaybayfm.ie/taoiseach-turn-first-sod-gort-tuam-motorway-project/

Galway Bay fm newsroom – An Taoiseach, Enda Kenny will be in Galway today to turn the first sod on the long-awaited Gort to Tuam motorway project.

The official sod-turning will take place at the Gort M18 junction at 2.30p.m.

It will also be attended by Mayor of County Galway Liam Carroll, Chairman of the National Roads Authority, Cormac O’ Rourke, Transport Minister Leo Varadkar and MEP Jim Higgins.

The American Chamber of Commerce is the latest group to welcome the progress on the M18 – M17 motorway, Public Private Partnership stating that it’s vital for people living and working in the West.

After the sod turning in Gort, Taoiseach Enda Kenny will arrive at the Meyrick Hotel in Eyre Square at 4.15 for a walkabout and canvass of the city.

He will then address a summer reception of Galway Business School in Salthill at 6 this evening, where campaigners against plans for a fish farm in Galway Bay are expected to protest.

Coming up this morning i did notice coming off at Gort how the grass has all been nicely cut and the crash barrier that has been damaged for the past 18 months has suddenly disappeared.

Anyway, i cant wait to see the diggers on site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 flat 2 the.....

glineli wrote: »
    Coming up this morning i did notice coming off at Gort how the grass has all been nicely cut and the crash barrier that has been damaged for the past 18 months has suddenly disappeared.

Anyway, i cant wait to see the diggers on site

I was told the earth works wont start till next february 2015 by roadbridge civil eng

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭yer man!

I was told the earth works wont start till next february 2015 by roadbridge civil eng

Ya sure isn't there a ton of design work that needs to be done first?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Design work kicking off next week, alot of it being done in Poland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Design work kicking off next week, alot of it being done in Poland!

By who?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Nah, this type of thing has been discussed before. Design work doesn't hold up the start of earthworks. Physical construction will start immediately, that's how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 flat 2 the.....

spacetweek wrote: »
    Nah, this type of thing has been discussed before. Design work doesn't hold up the start of earthworks. Physical construction will start immediately, that's how it goes.

Fencing and structures and compounds may start but the large earthworks wont start straight away accorting to roadbridge civil engeering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭prunudo

glineli wrote: »
    Another bit on the sod turning.............

http://www.clare.fm/news/gorttuam-motorway-project-be-opened

The Taoiseach will be on hand to mark the official beginning of construction on the new Gort to Tuam Motorway today.

Enda Kenny, Transport Minister Leo Varadkar and other government representatives are due in Gort this afternoon to turn the sod for the M18/M17 which will link Ennis to Galway by motorway by 2018.

The 550 million euro project is expected to create up to 450 jobs in construction and significantly ease traffic congestion as it will-pass Clarinbridge, Claregalway and Tuam.

Prior to this afternoon's event, Enda Kenny is also due to canvass voters in Ennis ahead of the local and European elections in two weeks’ time.

Did this go ahead, didn't see anything in the news about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

jvan wrote: »
    Did this go ahead, didn't see anything in the news about it?

http://galwaybayfm.ie/taoiseach-says-gort-tuam-motorway-fills-connectivity-gap/

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭raher1

tonc76 wrote: »
    By who?

so poland you mean polish workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

raher1 wrote: »
    so poland you mean polish workers?

I didn't make the statement but asked the question

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭sleepyman

yer man! wrote: »
    Ya sure isn't there a ton of design work that needs to be done first?

So a sod turning doesn't actually signal the start of construction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

In Google maps, here. You can see the wider stretch of tarmac for the off-ramps.

Is this still the case? The PR (and the DTTAS release) all mention the crossing being West of Oranmore. Is that a typo, or has there been a change?

Advertisement