Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Girl from Gort who constantly drives at 50kph

Options
  • 07-05-2014 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭

Didn't want to be cluttering a thread on the roads forum but a number of boardsies have recently been held up by a girl in her twenties who drives at 50kph on all national and regional roads. Slows down to 30kph in the corners :eek:

Anyone ever encounter this person before ? One of the posters in the thread stated that the Gardaí actually had to pull her over as there was a tailback behind her several miles long and that she was doing her best to stop people from overtaking her.

What are people's views on others driving well below the speed limit. While not making progress will get you a fail in your driving test, I don't think there's any actual minimum speed to drive on our roads. I personally view it as dangerous and an incredible inconvenience but not against the law.

Original thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055673984&page=50

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

These people shouldn't be on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Ahhhh, the innocence of the Irish! :DOne driver doing 50kph! Here in France, there are thousands of them - all perfectly legal. If you're not fit to have a licence (can't pass driving test, failed too many breathalysers, dodgy eyesight, never learnt to drive anything other than a tractor) you can buy a "sans permis" car and tootle along the highways to your heart's content ... limited to 50kph (though I did tailgate one last week who hit 60kph on a downhill stretch).

Sit back an enjoy the view.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Well if she was doing her best to stop people overtaking her then she should be done for careless driving.

That behaviour wrecks my head. Drive 50kmh all you want but don't attempt to accelerate/block my overtaking just because you don't like it. Same goes for people who flash their lights when they're overtaken.

Page 110 in the rules of the road:
    Avoid driving too slowly
    In normal road and traffic conditions, safely keep up with the pace of the traffic
    flow while obeying the speed limit. While you must keep a safe distance away
    from the vehicle in front, you should not drive so slowly that your vehicle
    unnecessarily blocks other road users. If you drive too slowly, you risk frustrating
    other drivers, which could lead to dangerous overtaking. However, remember:
    you must not drive at a speed at which you cannot stop the vehicle within the
    distance you can see to be clear ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

It's the countryside, tractors don't go any faster

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Bandara wrote: »
    It's the countryside, tractors don't go any faster

Tractors usually pull in at a safe spot to let traffic pass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Caliden wrote: »
    Well if she was doing her best to stop people overtaking her then she should be done for careless driving.

That behaviour wrecks my head. Drive 50kmh all you want but don't attempt to accelerate/block my overtaking just because you don't like it. Same goes for people who flash their lights when they're overtaken.

What proof is there that she is or was deliberately blocking other drivers from overtaking?

Can you link to the statute which bans driving too slowly and how slow is too slow according to the law?

sullivlo wrote: »

But they don't have to. Only vehicles like steam traction engines etc which are even slower than tractors have any obligation to pull in and allow the traffic to pass when there are more than ten vehicles behind them afaik

foggy_lad wrote: »
    What proof is there that she is or was deliberately blocking other drivers from overtaking?

Can you link to the statute which bans driving too slowly and how slow is too slow according to the law?

Well the Gardai pulled her over so she must have done something wrong don't you think?

You know full well there isn't a statute to cover such a case, the Gardai have to use logic in a case like this.

If she was deliberately driving slowing she could be prosecuted under the section 52:
    "52.—(1) A person shall not drive a vehicle in a public place without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the place."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Ahhhh, the innocence of the Irish! :DOne driver doing 50kph! Here in France, there are thousands of them - all perfectly legal. If you're not fit to have a licence (can't pass driving test, failed too many breathalysers, dodgy eyesight, never learnt to drive anything other than a tractor) you can buy a "sans permis" car and tootle along the highways to your heart's content ... limited to 50kph (though I did tailgate one last week who hit 60kph on a downhill stretch).

Sit back an enjoy the view.

I've seen loads of those little Aixam cars over in France - never knew you could drive them without a license. Seems crazy (but that's the French driving laws in general, like the whole mandatory breathalyser thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

How can anything doing 50kph block people overtaking? I don't imagine she's driving a Range Rover or anything halfways big?

It would bring you to tears seeing this everyday though, the best part is she probably thinks she's a great driver and the RSA would no doubt use her as a poster child

• Advertisement

JC01 wrote: »
    How can anything doing 50kph block people overtaking? I don't imagine she's driving a Range Rover or anything halfways big?

It would bring you to tears seeing this everyday though, the best part is she probably thinks she's a great driver and the RSA would no doubt use her as a poster child

She could be one of these drivers who hover the white line making it extremely difficult to overtake but without a dash cam or evidence of it, it's all conjecture.

Well the Gardai pulled her over so she must have done something wrong don't you think?

You know full well there isn't a statute to cover such a case, the Gardai have to use logic in a case like this.

If she was deliberately driving slowing she could be prosecuted under the section 52:
    "52.—(1) A person shall not drive a vehicle in a public place without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the place."

The gardai pulled her over because she was not going as fas as the other traffic which is not an offence in any statute book in the state AFAIK.

Gardai and logic are things that rarely sit well together.

She could be charged with dangerous or any other type of driving but would o my be found guilty with irrefutable proof which a garda can not give.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

sullivlo wrote: »

No they dont in fairness. Occasionally perhaps, but nothing like usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

People who flash their lights when overtaken do it because the driver overtaking cuts in front of them

The gardai pulled her over because she was not going as fas as the other traffic which is not an offence in any statute book in the state AFAIK.

She could be charged with dangerous or any other type of driving but would o my be found guilty with irrefutable proof which a garda can not give.

Perhaps the Gardai just pulled her over to have a chat, knowing that they couldnt actually charge her for anything but that at least pulling her over would relieve the rolling roadblock for a couple of minutes. If they see someone driving excessively slowly then they would have good reason to suspect drunk or otherwise impaired driving in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I recall a tractor driver in Westport was pulled over and fined for careless driving for holding up traffic on the Westport Newport road.

Several cars on the Enfield road do 60kph holding everyone up in a an 80kph zone. Most commercials happily do 90-100 on that stretch of road, experienced drivers who are conscious of dangers and costs but some overzealous slow drivers hold everybody else up as there is no overtaking allowed on that road.

I have also seen people doing 70kph on the outside lane of the M50 at 5 am when it is almost empty!!!

They should be on the inside lane.

Absolutely infuriating.

How would careless driving not apply in this case?
    Driving too slowly for the road conditions can be just as dangerous as too fast.

Apply the same to a car going 50kmh on a 120kmh motorway, that's careless driving as they are driving considerably slower than other vehicles.

It's up to a prosecutor to use the letter of the law (in this case, "(driving)...without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons") and apply it to this person's unwillingness to let others overtake her (if the OP's statement is true) and progress at a reasonable speed on the road in question.

If she really does drive at this speed and has a several mile long tailback then she slowing progress for other (more capable) drivers and is not being considerate of other drivers.

Wouldn't you agree?

Sam Kade wrote: »
    People who flash their lights when overtaken do it because the driver overtaking cuts in front of them

Never cut anyone up any of the times it happened to me so please don't accuse me of something I never did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Driving without due consideration is an offence isn't it?

How would careless driving not apply in this case?
    Driving too slowly for the road conditions can be just as dangerous as too fast.

Apply the same to a car going 50kmh on a 120kmh motorway, that's careless driving as they are driving considerably slower than other vehicles.

It's up to a prosecutor to use the letter of the law (in this case, "(driving)...without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons") and apply it to this person's unwillingness to let others overtake her (if the OP's statement is true) and progress at a reasonable speed on the road in question.

If she really does drive at this speed and has a several mile long tailback then she slowing progress for other (more capable) drivers and is not being considerate of other drivers.

Wouldn't you agree?

It depends on the situation. It might seem like careless or dangerous driving to be going a lot slower than the speed limit, but there are vehicles on the road that will legitimately be going that slowly, and motorists need to be aware of this either way. Its no more dangerous for me to come around a corner and meet a car doing 25mph as it is for me to meet a tractor doing the same speed.

Also if visibility is good then there is no danger whatsoever. It is undoubtedly infuriating to be stuck behind a driver like this, but they are not posing a direct danger.

corktina wrote: »
    Driving without due consideration is an offence isn't it?

Yup, section 52. Quoted it on the previous page.
    I also quoted the rules of the road from the RSA website which advises against driving too slowly (unsure how legally binding they are).

• Advertisement

Never cut anyone up any of the times it happened to me so please don't accuse me of something I never did.

Hold on a second where did I accuse you of doing anything?

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Hold on a second where did I accuse you of doing anything?

"People who flash their lights when overtaken do it because the driver overtaking cuts in front of them"

Inferred from the above. I don't see how you were trying to say anything else when making the above statement.

Back on topic, here's the correct page of the thread in question:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90246824

And here's a google map of the road:
    http://goo.gl/maps/hM193

100kmh limit for most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Here's the posts that complained about the driver in question:
    A girl driving less than 50kph from Gort to Kilcolgan, 30kph around the bends. Easily two miles of traffic stuck behind her by the time the Gardai pulled her over in Kilcolgan. She hogged the white line the whole way and was nearly responsible for several accidents with people desperate to overtake her.
    She was early twenties with some other fella in the front. She had 30 minutes to pull over and didn't try once even though the road has a decent hard shoulder. Gardai tailed her for a few minutes and then stopped her.

In this case the Gardai seem to have gotten it correct (and perfectly logically too) as her lack of care and consideration for other road users were causing a dangerous situation.

I don't know if the squad cars carry video cameras, but given that the Gardai were behind her for a few minutes they'd easily be able to build a case by observing her behaviour and the number of cars she got queued up behind her.

Whether they'd actually attempt to press charges is another issue, but it should happen far more often.

"People who flash their lights when overtaken do it because the driver overtaking cuts in front of them"

Inferred from the above. I don't see how you were trying to say anything else when making the above statement.

So you are the driver, calm down and stop reading between the lines ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

[="JC01;90271116"]How can anything doing 50kph block people overtaking? I don't imagine she's driving a Range Rover or anything halfways big?]

That road has very limited over taking oppurtunies. It's almost continuous white line and has a lot of bends. I wouldn't fancy driving that road knowing there will be a very slow tail back there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

She hogged the white line the whole way and was nearly responsible for several accidents with people desperate to overtake her.

This person might have been a right pain in the butt, but she was not "nearly responsible for several accidents", that responsibility lies squarely with those impatient persons attempting to overtake when unsafe to do so. A distinction has to be made between bad manners (the original driver) and dangerous driving ( the overtakers).

Driving with care and consideration needs to be defined.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

The way I kinda see it, as annoying as it is, whats the point in getting stressed? You could easily fly past them and by the time you get to the next town, you get a bad change at a few lights, and they are right back behind you. I drive at the speed limit for the most part, and in 99% of the cases I'll catch someone who barrels past me by the next town, toll bridge or slower section. In my own head, and if conditions allow, I keep to the limit and I don't let it slip below 5% of it.

Say you were held up over a 20km (12.5 mile stretch)

At 50km/h, that will take you 24mins.

At 80km/h, that will take you 15mins.

At 100km/h, that will take you 12 mins.

What person here can't afford (Probably at most) 12 mins the rare occasion they get held up? And think about it, 20km is actually a very long way. Its give or take half the length of the M50. I doubt anyone would have that distance to be held up at an average speed of 50km/h and NO opportunity to overtake.

Cool the jets lads. Its infuriating but your saving minutes out of a lifetime. You'll get there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

It's an offense to hold up the traffic like that...there was a tractor driver prosecuted for it a few years ago, but at least he was driving a slow vehicle!

This person might have been a right pain in the butt, but she was not "nearly responsible for several accidents", that responsibility lies squarely with those impatient persons attempting to overtake when unsafe to do so. A distinction has to be made between bad manners (the original driver) and dangerous driving ( the overtakers).

This comes up in these sort of threads a lot. Some will argue until they are blue in the face that it is the slow driver who forces people to overtake them dangerously. The simple fact is that we are all responsible for our own actions, and if you overtake when its not safe to do so, regardless of the situation, then its on you, 100%, if it leads to an incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

That's 24 minutes stuck behind her, and then you're 12 minutes late. I'd explode. :pac:

Advertisement