Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ten best and worst things about being irish

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

Extreme Republicaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaans.

Bit over the top.

Or a bit under the bottom?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

They'll always exist. Once the current shower grow up and move on, another shower will replace them. That's one thing you can always be guaranteed of here.

In the immortal words of Behan:

"I propose a split".

Still doesn't sink in!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I love being Irish and being away from Ireland I can easily come up with 10 things that I love.

1: Extended family:

My granddad on my father’s side had 12 brothers and sisters and on my mums side was similar both my parents also come from reasonably large family so I have first and second cousin’s all over Ireland and the world. My own home growing up was relatively near to Dublin airport so relatives would often stay with us when they came to visit Ireland and family events such as weddings that bring us all together are great fun even funerals though mixed with obvious sadness can have a lot of fun involved in getting everyone together. Now if I travel anywhere there is always some kind of family near by.

2: Education:

Free high quality primary secondary and university education that gives you knowledge not just about the country you come from but also of the world outside Ireland and the skills to get a good job anywhere in the world.

3: No one tends to hate you just for being Irish in fact most like it:

This can not be said for countries such as the U.S. or England, Israel or any number of other countries, and although hating someone because of their country of origin is ridicules people don’t have issues with Ireland other then stereotypes of drinking a lot. Also having an Irish accent has been quite a positive thing with some ladies.

4: Irish Pubs:

Ireland doses the local pub well and the Irish know what makes a good bar. At home despite the cost involved in drinking in them the local has always been where I would go to meet my friend and have a laugh and a drink. The barmen compared to a lot of other countries I’ve been to are capable of remembering a long order you give them and often will know what you want if you come up for another round. Even the tacky Irish pubs all around the world have a great benefit to them. If ever I feel like having the company of other Irish people I can go find an Irish bar almost anywhere in the world. Not only that but I can also watch Irish sports. There is no other country that has this option to the extent that Ireland has.

5: Sense of Humor.

As other people have said the Irish have an ability to laugh at themselves and make a joke out of anything. I have grown up with this and enjoy the friendly slagging that goes on between mates. The way it is a sign of affection rather then maliciousness. Growing up around this gives many Irish people a quick wit and the ability to let things slide that other nationalities may take offence to.

6: Natural Beauty:

It’s true that every country has its own areas of natural beauty and having traveled a lot I can say that I have seen many beautiful places but there is something about the rugged landscape of the west of Ireland that will always have a special place in my heart.

7: Irish Music:

I love traditional Irish music and the number of quality musicians Ireland produces in proportion to the countries size and population is astounding.

8: Our long and interesting history:

I like coming from a place with such a rich and ancient history. From ancient megalithic tombs like Newgrange to the castles all around the county the country is full of historic sites. The history of Ireland and my own family’s history in Ireland have always interested me. Irish mythology and folklore has also always fascinated me.

9: Being up for a Laugh:

Irish people always tend to look for ways to enjoy themselves. If you get a group of Irish people together and stick them in a bad situation most of them will try and make the most of it and try and have some fun. 9 times out of 10 they will succeed and there was any one in the group that didn’t join in they would be pointed out and told not to be such a grumpy bollox.

10: Friendliness

It may sound cliché but Irish people do tend to be very friendly. I obviously have experienced people who are not but having lived in and visited a number of other countries I would say that the Irish are really friendly. For a simple example I could easily stop and ask directions nearly anywhere in Ireland and they would be happy to help if they could, I tried the same thing in New York thinking I would get the same reaction but boy was I wrong. This is just one example but I honestly believe we have a very friendly country.

I don’t feel like writhing 10 more negative things about Ireland as there seams to be enough negative people already solely posting about what they perceive as being wrong with Ireland in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

This thread makes for painful reading.

Tayato are ****ing **** by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Thats a fine list Doc.

On the subject of not being hated, or being liked wherever we go....

I remember travelling in India and chatting to an English chap I met over there....he was saying that nearly every big town he went to, he would the tour the local big palace or fort....the taj mahal equivalent in wherever he was. The tour would go inevitably go along the lines: "this palace was built by the prince of maharashtra for his bride, no expense was spared, and in her honour it housed the largest diamond in the state of maharashtra, which lay in this room for over 300 years, until the English came and stole it"......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Walsh wrote: »
    The best thing about being Irish is: not being English.

And if that is the limit of your ambitions, it is also the worst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

The-Rigger wrote: »
    This thread makes for painful reading.

Tayato are ****ing **** by the way.
    Get out!!!

They are lovely! In fact I am off to buy a packet and make a crisp and cheese sandwich. Nom nom nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

They used to be nice years ago.
    They changed them and they are now ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HereNorThere

Doc wrote: »

It may sound cliché but Irish people do tend to be very friendly..

Yes! That is why I am at this site. I have been to countless sites. English, etc....But the Irish ones are the ones I keep coming back to on a consistant basis. WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU ALL ???

;):D:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

The best things about being Irish are our wonderful Holy Roman Catholic church that has never, ever done anything wrong or immoral, and our beacons of moral guidance in the Indo and Sindo who make our chests swell with pride when we read their postcolonial self loathing drivel that predates the concept of Home Rule.

And our sense of humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭thebigleap

Yes! That is why I am at this site. I have been to countless sites. English, etc....But the Irish ones are the ones I keep coming back to on a consistant basis. WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU ALL ???

;):D:)

Agreed, the American sites in particular are not moderated enough, so it's a free for all for all the crazies out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Good thing about being Irish: Being renowned worldwide for having abnormally large penises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭paultheviking

not best, but deffo a good thing:

having a decent amount of cop on..

was in oz last year, and asked, IN STARBUCKS, for a mug of tea..

me: large mug of tea please.
    ozzie: wha?
    me: mug of tea please?
    ozzie: a WHA?
    me:*points to a mug*
    ozzie: oh, a MAG..

idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

it has to be that we dont embrace our national language like other countries do and make enough effort to speak as gaelige.
    after all we are Irish not english

it has to be that we dont embrace our national language like other countries do and make enough effort to speak as gaelige.
    after all we are Irish not english

as gailge, le do thoil.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Micamaca wrote: »
    I like being Irish but I'm not proud of it at the moment. We have made many big boo-boos recently or voted in politicians to do just that. (Not me personally but anyho).

I don't see much to be proud of at the moment. I was proud when we brought in the non-smoking ban first in Europe and the plastic bags ban. Those kind of things made me proud.
    It would be nice if the Greens had banned plastic bags. But they didn't They stuck a highly ineffective 22c levy on them instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

as gailge, le do thoil.:D

Náireach.

Náireach.
    go raibh maith agat.. anyway..

let's see, good thing about being irish..

You can sit in any bar, anywhere in the country and get into a decent conversation in no time at all..

Your ma never stops mammy-ing you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HereNorThere

thebigleap wrote: »
    Agreed, the American sites in particular are not moderated enough, so it's a free for all for all the crazies out there.

Yup!! And the English ones have way too much moderating! You can't stray off the topic for one sec !! And if they disagree with you that's just cause to close a topic.
    Does not make for an interesting exchange of ideas whatsoever ! :rolleyes::mad:

Good thing about being Irish: Being renowned worldwide for having abnormally large penises.

Are they green ? :D

Advertisement