Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ten best and worst things about being irish

Options

Comments

Riddle101 wrote: »
    What's so wrong about being proud of where you're born and from. Just because we have no choice dosen't mean we should act like it's a curse or something. The fact of the matter is, people all over the world have a lot of pride from where they're from so it's not a typical Irish thing.

Anyway things i'm proud of.
    That Ireland went from being a third world country to a prosperous one. Sure you could say the EU helped out but it took the workforce in Ireland to get Ireland in motion, even if we're in a recession right now, it good to know we're not like any poor African countries.

That we've never been in any major wars. Sure you could say the War for Independence but let's not kid ourselves. We've never been in a major conflict that saw millions of people killed like World War 2 or the Vietnam War.

Our sports. Hurling and GAA, may not be as popular as let's say Soccer, but at least it's something that we can be proud to say we created.

Has a good education system. Some maybe sceptical but i'm proud to say Ireland produces a lot of scholars every year and i feel proud in knowing that.

There's nothing wrong with being proud of it at all, I just find a lot of the flag waving and people saying how proud they are to be Irish hard to take seriously at times. It's like the people who a few years back were saying how proud they were of what our government accomplished, the same people are now cursing FF. One of the things that I truly hate is the people who go on and on about how bad the country is and how across the seas is so much better.

As for the things you list, I understand perfectly well how you can be proud of the Irish nation of accomplishing those things. I too am proud that under all the stress to join either of the World Wars out nation stood tall and refused to bow to the pressure. I'm proud to say that a number of members of my family fought in both wars.
    benwavner wrote: »
    @ DARKO,

The stuff you stated in your last post were all out of your control too, so, going by your logic, you cant be proud of them. You cant have it both ways, your argument is flawed.

You missed the point of my first point. You can be proud of your country and of people you know. It's a different thing than being proud of the where you were born.

I have a lot of love for Ireland and am proud of many of it's achievements but I do not consider myself proud of the fact that I was born here.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭amos13

galwayrush wrote: »
    Bloody hell, yes, i feel proud we can produce an amazing skilful gane like this.:cool:

and congrats to the galway minors too..could we be witnessing a shift away from the cats in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

amos13 wrote: »
    Glad someone opened it cos I wan't really getting much back there!

Apparently Freud once said that the only people impervious to psychoanalysis is the irish. I like the way we don't overanalyse ourselves all the time - so the whole "it'll be grand" argument I prob wouldn't agree with, just because that kind of attitude is a low-stressed-out kinda attitude

I never heard that Freud quote but it is apt

seillejet you beat me to the punch while i wasn't lookin!:D

Begrudger!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,992 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Walsh wrote: »
    The best thing about being Irish is: not being English.

And one of the worst attributes is having an obsession about it.:P

• Advertisement

Riddle101 wrote: »

Crime. I guess we can count ourselve lucky we don't live in Columbia but I just hate how bad Ireland has gotten with all the crime. drugs everywhere, kids with guns and a justice system that is useless.

The justice and health systems. But I guess a lot of countries have it bad as well

they do... statistically ireland have one of the lowest murder rates in the world.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ireland-the-safest-country-in-europe-report-says-1038166.html

I know its an old article but I couldn't find the one I read recently

ejmaztec wrote: »
    And one of the worst attributes is having an obsession about it.:P

I do hate that. Was on holidays a few years back and had to listen to an Irish lad spend at least half an hour giving off to a German when they asked was he English. They asked me the exact same question a few minutes earlier and all I said was "nope, I'm Irish".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

I guess this thread relates to the other one recently "What is Irish". Someone said that they are proud of

"2) Our love of sport. Seriously we are obsessed.". <- That is not specifically Irish. England love their sport. America love their sport, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Glad someone opened it cos I wan't really getting much back there!

Apparently Freud once said that the only people impervious to psychoanalysis is the irish. I like the way we don't overanalyse ourselves all the time - so the whole "it'll be grand" argument I prob wouldn't agree with, just because that kind of attitude is a low-stressed-out kinda attitude

You sure you are not mistaking it for laziness?

I always took "Sure, it'll be grand" as "**** off I cant be arsed"

damn you kilkenny. The history books will not show how much tipp matched them and led them for most of the match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Funnily enough I could only think of nine points each.

Proud of:
    1. Hurling
    2. Natural beauty
    3. Punching above our wait economically for years (which, unfortunately, caught up on us)
    4. Trade unionism
    5. The Irish Times
    6. Irish (although I still think it's a useless language)
    7. The way we speak English
    8. Sense of humour
    9. Our "neutrality" (when it comes to not participating in large scale wars and our work in the UN peacekeepers)

Not proud of:
    1. Our "neutrality" (rendition flights, US army using Shannon)
    2. Our politicians
    3. Education system
    4. Transport system
    5. Anti-Englishness
    6. Obsession with English football (ironic, considering number 5)
    7. The GAA organisation
    8. The FAI too
    9. The Church

I guess this thread relates to the other one recently "What is Irish". Someone said that they are proud of

"2) Our love of sport. Seriously we are obsessed.". <- That is not specifically Irish. England love their sport. America love their sport, etc.

I think their love is different though. Their love is of sport they are involved in. I work with for an English company and seem to know more about their football clubs than they do. Not just soccer specific either.

Athletics for example we are dire at but I went into work after the recent World Champs in Germany and Irish people were buzzing about the standards and I had to tell the English people about the events they were involved in and what they won.

Americans one word Baseball. Closes the argument. I only cite those two as they are the nations you mentioned.

damn you kilkenny. The history books will not show how much tipp matched them and led them for most of the match

Great final though.

Jumpy wrote: »
    You sure you are not mistaking it for laziness?

I always took "Sure, it'll be grand" as "**** off I cant be arsed"

Little bit of A, little bit of B :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Worst thing:
    The 'As Gaeilge' speech after the GAA final.

"ta. me. an-athas. orm. caca. milis."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 REAL LIFE HOOD

Seillejet wrote: »
    To open up the debate, I know Im leaving myself open for a pasting, seeing as this is AH but to follow on from OP;

Ten reasons Im proud to be Irish!

1) Our sense of humour and way with words. I must crack up laughing at the sayings Irish people intentionally and unintentionally come out with at least three times every day.

2) Our love of sport. Seriously we are obsessed.

3) The parish mentality that is still out there and sense of community.

4) We are genuinely on the whole a friendly bunch.

5) The gaa football and hurling. I know it is linked to number two but the fact it is unique is something to be proud off.

6) Our language.

7) Our sense of family. I really think there is a huge focus on the family in Ireland perhaps only rivalled by the French.

8) Our level of education.

9) The fact the Gaurds are unarmed. Seriously appreciate this when away.

10) Irish Music.

Reasons I become embarrassed or not proud of being Irish

1) Our transport system, especially from the Airport.

2) The lassiez faire attitude at times. Things will be grand sort of thing.

3) Perception we sometimes put out there that we are hammered all the time.

4) Our driving.

5) I dont think our gifts to the culinary world have been great.

6) Irish television. Seriously the only thing I have ever watched with some degree of interest is Paths to Freedom and the Family.

7) Begrudgers.

8) Fashion. Seriously some of the clobber people wear.

9) The litter.

10) Our obsession with property and all things materialsic.

HAHAHHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

The biggest myth in the world. The Irish are a nation of bandwagon jumpers.

2. Natural beauty

I was going to say this and then had a think. Not knocking it but would a Belgian say he is not proud because Gent is not a scenic place. I know we have very scenic places like Kerry and Achill but we also have Moat, Kilbeggan, Tallaght, The Liberties, no offence intended to anyone but hardly scenic.

HAHAHHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

The biggest myth in the world. The Irish are a nation of bandwagon jumpers.

Can I change one of my ten worst things :rolleyes:

2. Natural beauty

I was going to say this and then had a think. Not knocking it but would a Belgian say he is not proud because Gent is not a scenic place. I know we have very scenic places like Kerry and Achill but we also have Moat, Kilbeggan, Tallaght, The Liberties, no offence intended to anyone but hardly scenic.

true but all countries have kips, some more than others. Ireland is reknowned the world over for its scenery. like the giants causeway, where the **** did that come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

1. irish stew!

2. our beers!

3. paddys day

4. cadburys!

5. tayto

6. irish music

7. irish movies like the van, the snapper, intermission, into the west! to name a few!

8. drinking!:D

9. shamrocks

10. shamrock shakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Ah yeah, but people say places like Rome and Paris are beautiful places, while there are still bad parts of it.

There is some outstanding natural beauty in this country and there are some ugly places but this happens in every country and it's something every country can be proud of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Americans one word Baseball. Closes the argument.

That was my argument :confused::cool:

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    1. irish stew!

2. our beers!

3. paddys day

4. cadburys!

5. tayto

6. irish music

7. irish movies like the van, the snapper, intermission, into the west! to name a few!

8. drinking!:D

9. shamrocks

10. shamrock shakes

what are shamrock shakes? is this some kind of new and very intriguing alcoholic beverage that may perhaps blow my mind? if so, please tell me more!

true but all countries have kips, some more than others. Ireland is reknowned the world over for its scenery. like the giants causeway, where the **** did that come from?

Ashamed to say I have never been. Its on the list though. I am one of those doing a staycation (needs must) this year and it is the holiday I have looked forward to most in the last few years. It is going on the list amos13!!

He really loves Paddys day. Shamrock shakes done in Mcdonalds on Paddys day. That or some new sexual practice. Im not down with the youngsters any more.

That was my argument :confused::cool:

Have you ever been to a Baseball game? It is not a sport. They dont even watch it. They go for a chat and to drink and eat. Its played by aul fellas as well have the time!!

Basketball that's a sport!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

what are shamrock shakes? is this some kind of new and very intriguing alcoholic beverage that may perhaps blow my mind? if so, please tell me more!

yep tis a milkshake from mcds!! :D

ok so here's my top ten (in no order)

1. Newgrange. older than the pyramids. buk-ah!
    2. our accents. with the noted exception of kerry (sorry guys, no idea what yis are on about) - this because I've been told a few times when abroad that the irish accent is quite sexy
    3. the fact that a pack of farmers and non-military men took back 26 of the 32 counties because of the fire in their belly, this is not an anti-english point, it wouldn't matter who our oppresors were, I'd still be proud of that feat.
    4. Hurling. fastest ball-game in the world and hell of a crowd pleaser! On the same note, croke park. hard not to be proud of that place.
    5. irish americans. if so many of them wanna be us (something like 35 million claim to be irish), then surely there's something good about us?
    6. the craic. any country you go to, there'll be an irish pub there. why? cos we're up for the craic, and other english speaking guys know thats where to go if they want it.
    7. reeling in the years. tell me you don't love it, and your a liar.
    8. our low murder and divorce rates. seriously people, marriage needs work!
    9. our neutrality. jesus we fought among ourselves for long enough we don't need to be fighting for others too!
    10. Paddys day. Something special we gave to the world. Your welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

To open up the debate, I know Im leaving myself open for a pasting, seeing as this is AH but to follow on from OP;

Ten reasons Im proud to be Irish!
    1) Our sense of humour and way with words. I must crack up laughing at the sayings Irish people intentionally and unintentionally come out with at least three times every day.

Our sense of humour is probably more best examined in our literature, just read anything by Frank McCourt, Brendan Behan, James Joyce, Roddy Doyle etc... our mannerisms are what they are but they're certainly not unique.
    2) Our love of sport. Seriously we are obsessed.

Possibly, but we jump on bandwagons, e.g. soccer in the late 80s/early 90s, rugby about 9 years ago, cricket about 2 years ago etc...
    3) The parish mentality that is still out there and sense of community.

This is a myth, as Thatcher said "there's no such thing as society" adn unfortunately this is what Ireland has devolved into; the death of Gemeinschaft and the growth of Gesellschaft. What you describe as parish mentality is a product of a bygone zeitgeist, one our parents were more associated with.
    4) We are genuinely on the whole a friendly bunch.

I seriously doubt this, ever gone into a rural pub, or even an urban one? Again, this part of the zeitgeist I've mentioned, de Valera-esque cultural production.
    5) The gaa football and hurling. I know it is linked to number two but the fact it is unique is something to be proud off.

Yes, I'm proud of a bloated soul-less, self righteous corporation such as the GAA.
    6) Our language.

Dead, useless language, that is now associated with cultural and nationalist superiority "oh I can speak Irish fluently so therefore I'm the true inheritor of the Irish nationalist ideolgy and dream", the Irish language is now the language of cultural and aesthetic fascism. "Our language" should be the recognised language of the people, the English, the Chinese, the Polish languages not this dodo misnomer of pseudo-nationalism.
    7) Our sense of family. I really think there is a huge focus on the family in Ireland perhaps only rivalled by the French.

Again, if you believe this then you'll believe anything! This is probably the most stupid statements you've managed to conjure in this post.
    8) Our level of education.

Debatable at present...
    9) The fact the Gaurds are unarmed. Seriously appreciate this when away.

Yes, and thank God they are, for Heaven only knows what they would do. The Gardai are in themselves living proof of the de Valera zeitgeist, they learn rudimentary policing in Templemore, and then spend the next 15 to 20 years trying to come to terms with the growing problems of human trafficking, drugs, gangland crime etc... the Gardai are a 1970s force trying to deal with 21st century problems.
    10) Irish Music.

Same thing as the language assertion.

Reasons I become embarrassed or not proud of being Irish
    1) Our transport system, especially from the Airport.

Our transport system... every where.
    2) The lassiez faire attitude at times. Things will be grand sort of thing.

I think this is best seen in our politicians as opposed to the general public.
    3) Perception we sometimes put out there that we are hammered all the time.

A rather dubious assertion.
    4) Our driving.

Ever been to Poland?
    5) I dont think our gifts to the culinary world have been great.

Same could be said about England, Scotland, Wales, the US etc...

[/QUOTE]6) Irish television. Seriously the only thing I have ever watched with some degree of interest is Paths to Freedom and the Family.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you here.
    7) Begrudgers.

I abhor this term, awful, awful, awful!
    8) Fashion. Seriously some of the clobber people wear.

Fair enough, this is a matter of taste.
    9) The litter.

Agreed.
    10) Our obsession with property and all things materialsic.

The most intelligent observation you've made in this post!;)

• Advertisement

@ El Siglo

your a bit of an oul misery guts arent ya? ye found fault in nearly everything there!

Advertisement