Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share something you like/find interesting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Sentineil

These are suicide nets, outside the premises of a company who are the manufacturers of the Wii, PS3, 360 and iPhone, called Foxconn. It's been hit by a string of employee suicides (12 so far this year), and one employee's death after an alleged 34-hour shift.

Foxconn employs almost a million people, so 12 attempted suicides a year isn't all that extraordinary.

After a quick google search it seems that 10 in 100,000 attempt suicide in Ireland every year, which means that 12 of 920,000 (according to wikipedia) is quite low.

It just goes to show how media hype can blow an ordinary thing completely out of proportion.

It is an interesting picture though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Sentineil wrote: »
    Foxconn employs almost a million people, so 12 attempted suicides a year isn't all that extraordinary.

After a quick google search it seems that 10 in 100,000 attempt suicide in Ireland every year, which means that 12 of 920,000 (according to wikipedia) is quite low.

It just goes to show how media hype can blow an ordinary thing completely out of proportion.

I know, I read an article in Business Week prior to posting (
    http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_38/b4195058423479.htm )
    where the situation was explained, so I'm not condemning them or anything, as it says in the article there are undoubtedly worse places to work in China than Foxconn. It was just a strange picture, I didn't know "suicide nets" existed- it's a rarity to see outward manifestations of the figures you mentioned.

The suicide nets are there because of a large number of suicides per square metre rather than per person.

Think about it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

I think this footage is pretty amazing:

Its raw footage (Only recently declassified) from Japanese gun mounted cameras. Its pretty startling stuff, you have to remind yourself that these are real people in the planes being shot down. It really brings home the unfathomable suffering that was so present during WW2. You also have to take into account that the air force (especially on the allied sides) had the highest death rates amongst any combat groups during WW2. During the Battle of Britain in particular the survival rate amongst Hurricane/Spitfire pilots was depressingly low at around 1 or 2 out of 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

On the subject of suicide nets, there is a bridge in Madrid where they put up big glass (the views really nice) barriers to stop people from jumping. But it was mainly because to many people were being injured or killed by jumpers on the street below. It's a really eerie place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

illiop wrote: »
    On the subject of suicide nets, there is a bridge in Madrid where they put up big glass (the views really nice) barriers to stop people from jumping. But it was mainly because to many people were being injured or killed by jumpers on the street below. It's a really eerie place
    The Cliffs of Moher have loads of Samaritan signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Sentineil wrote: »

450,000 people work in Foxconn City. 10 people committed suicide there in 6 months, while at work. Have you ever heard of someone committing suicide at work? Cuz azide from a couple of cases of bankers jumping from financial districts in the US/UK in the midst of economic crises', I can't.

Foxconn is one of the most secretive companies in the world, has tried to abduct and assault a reuters reporter for taking pictures of the outside of a factory from a public street, assaulted an employee who lost an iphone prototype(and the employee, co-incidentally committed suicide a few hours later) and a good few other shady things.

In short, Foxconn are nasty and will literally do anything to make money. Anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I find www.boards.ie interesting because everybody talks about stuff and doesn't afraid of anything about stuff.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

So, I'm listening to the RB3 set list on Grooveshark when this frankly AWESOME song comes on...

... and instantly I'm thinking, Green Day, you crafty thieves you! :eek:

But then I see in the comments of the Chicago video that THEIR song sounds like a Led Zeppelin song :eek:

And then I'm reminded of this T.S. Elliot Quote :)
    One of the surest of tests is the way in which a poet borrows. Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different. The good poet welds his theft into a whole of feeling which is unique, utterly different from that from which it was torn; the bad poet throws it into something which has no cohesion.

Did you know there are two types of people in the world?

1. Those who need closure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

2. Those who can perform division on integers as well as addition, subtraction and multiplication.

<333 for anyone who gets it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Where's number 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I've been admiring Edward Hopper's paintings for the last while. I like the eeriness of some of them, especially the first one, 'Nighthawks'.

night-hawks.jpg

edward%20hopper-246588.jpg

House%20by%20the%20Railroad.jpg&t=1

12749w_hoppercompartmentc.jpg

04hopp_CA2.600.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Zdzisław Beksiński. I love his work, I don't think anyone has ever created anything quite like it before.

zdzislaw_beksinski_01.jpg
    zdzislaw_beksinski_15.jpg
    zdzislaw_beksinski_20.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Where's number 2?

You obviously fall into number 1 then.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

You obviously fall into number 1 then.. :rolleyes:

I just totally got it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

This http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054994795 is so so interesting ! Can't wait to give it a try !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

So I recently discovered the genius that was Jim Morrison, and last night I watched the film/documentary about Morrison/The Doors. It's called "When You're Strange" and here's the trailer:

I just find his life absolutely fascinating. What's most interesting is that Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison - all icons of their time - all died within a few months of each other and all from drug/alcohol abuse. They were all 27 at the time. What's more, Jim's girlfriend also died at 27 from a heroin overdose. I just find their lives so intriguing!

Hotaru wrote: »
    I just find his life absolutely fascinating. What's most interesting is that Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison - all icons of their time - all died within a few months of each other and all from drug/alcohol abuse. They were all 27 at the time. What's more, Jim's girlfriend also died at 27 from a heroin overdose. I just find their lives so intriguing!

Don't forget Brian Jones, Rolling Stones musician. T'was a trendy age to kick the bucket.

Innes_George_Autumn_Meadows.jpg&t=1

innes_l.jpg

We're doing a lot of American literature at the moment, so I came across a painter named George Innes. Hurr arr tew purdy pickedchers him drood. Most of the time, despite their obvious impressiveness, I don't find photo-realistic paintings that interesting, but these ones are special for some reason. Nice colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

carlsaganexistence.jpg

Puts life in perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Puts life in perspective.

I love that. One of the most beautiful things ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Wow. A few people saw something like this two nights ago

(http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056056705 )

Oh how I wish I was one of these people!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I love the patterns section in this. Also in the odds and evens part, that works for any numbers I think (as in you can get those upside down triangles by blacking out the multiples of 2, 3, 4, ...) It all makes complete sense if you think about it but just seeing all those random patterns that don't seem to be related at first is just awesome

http://www.mathsisfun.com/pascals-triangle.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    I love the patterns section in this. Also in the odds and evens part, that works for any numbers I think (as in you can get those upside down triangles by blacking out the multiples of 2, 3, 4, ...) It all makes complete sense if you think about it but just seeing all those random patterns that don't seem to be related at first is just awesome

Wow - that is amazing :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Cows Go µ wrote: »

My maths teacher in fifth year showed us that when we were doing the Binomial Theorem. S'cool. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

resolve?urn=urn:gvn:NIOD01:AF0623&size=large

art-sd_guilt.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2i_pgnGNYzDfVo4qfrlLMaQ0vyP3-vNd-570LEtF5oFymsjo&t=1&usg=__dh75nsjt2QwwT09aEyYXlkSE1t8=

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

I needed some cheering up this eve and decided to watch Postsecret videos. (People mail in their secrets anonymously on a postcard)
    I just loved this one, it restored my faith in humanity a lil bit. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

The War Plan Red. Plans made by the United States to wage war with Britain after the first World War! Those pesky Nazis and the outbreak of WW2 scuppered it all though.

Advertisement