Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Yes to Lisbon posters appear

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

ya, saw them puttin them up by heuston there around 2 hours ago...

are the people who put them up actually yes voters? or a company who puts them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Moromaster

Excellent. Fight fire with fire, I say. Shame they aren't lying, saying things such as:

'If you vote 'no', you'll all have abortions.... muahahaha!'

Then again, that'd be too much like Libertas.

Okay, on a serious note. I wish posters were illegal, the amount of litter that's sewn everywhere after a referendum is ridiculous. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Sorry to disappoint but none of them are eyecatching in the slightest. Funny that the one that says 'Yes for the economy' comes from the party that destroyed ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Martin 2

The contrast with Coir’s posters couldn’t be more stark… no sensationalism.
    I thought the Ireland for Europe posters were the best, not at all like Coir’s, a simple message with photographs of ordinary Irish people rather than long dead heroes.
    WeBelong had the same idea but aimed at a different demographic I think.
    FF poster is a bit dull but at least they don’t have some politician's face on it this time and I suppose the message is difficult to argue with even if FF are making it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Martin 2 wrote: »
    I thought the Ireland for Europe posters were the best, not at all like Coir’s, a simple message with photographs of ordinary Irish people rather than long dead heroes.
    FF poster is a bit dull but at least they don’t have some politician's face on it this time and I suppose the message is difficult to argue with even if FF are making it.

Very much agreed about the lack of shameless self promotion. That almost drove me mad in 2008 when local candidates, EU candidates, and sitting TDs and Senators just popped their ugly mugs for no good reason, other than to promote themselves. Its natuarlly far more beneficial to do it in a less selfish manner.

None of the posters are too eye catching. However, it doesnt really matter as come October 2nd we will be so bored, and so used to seeing them, that they will all have merged into one big colourful sludge on our lampposts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Just let us vote already, I'm sick of waiting, I want to know what the people think TBH.

A full year to make their minds up, I hope it goes the way I expect it too.

I also hope people don't vote yes just out of fear but because they want to. Likewise with people that vote no, hope they have proper reasons and not just lies and scare mongering tricking them into ticking that box.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_oJfWtyg1AxA/Sp2wN1aGStI/AAAAAAAAAGA/1MVF7GpmO9g/s400/SDC10988.JPG

thats the only one I kinda liked.

Like I said in the other thread, the yes side will have a really hard time with posters and some of them that they have are open to be abused by the more aggressive aspects of the no campaign.

Expect the *we need Europe* one to get a particulary scathy response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

So...if I've picked this up rightly now from a large number of people complaining about the propaganda (and it is as such from some of the more extreme no side) the Yes side, as is evident in these posters would never do such a thing.

Like in no way would they try to use cheap propaganda and to advertise the upcoming vote on Lisbon as an actual referendum on whether or not we do or do not want to be in Europe...

No, they wouldn't try cheap propaganda tricks to twist things like that...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Nehaxak wrote: »
    So...if I've picked this up rightly now from a large number of people complaining about the propaganda (and it is as such from some of the more extreme no side) the Yes side, as is evident in these posters would never do such a thing.

Like in no way would they try to use cheap propaganda and to advertise the upcoming vote on Lisbon as an actual referendum on whether or not we do or do not want to be in Europe...

No, they wouldn't try cheap propaganda tricks to twist things like that...

:rolleyes:

Where's the cheap propaganda?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

meglome wrote: »
    Where's the cheap propaganda?

to be fair I personally think (and I am a yes voter) the concept of the pro-Lisobon side saying that "we need Europe" or that we are better off in Europe is propoganda to a certain extent

a no vote will not result in Ireland not being in the EU, which is what the slogans kinda imply

I understand that the yes side have decided to run a very simple, slogan run campaign and perhaps there is no better approach for them.

In any event its certainly better than the outright lies and misrepresentations of some of the No side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Hmmm.

I didn't realise there was a time limit to when the posters could go up. If that's the case why has no one mentioned fining Coir?

Also, as a yes voter I find those posters rather poor.

I thought my own idea of "who do you want negotiating on your behalf for energy supplies... picture of Cowen... versus picture of EU leaders (including Cowen)" might be good.

Ix.

ixtlan wrote: »
    Hmmm.

I didn't realise there was a time limit to when the posters could go up. If that's the case why has no one mentioned fining Coir?

it has been mentioned on some threads here....

Edit: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055667857

I think most people are caught up in the debate about Coir itself and the detail of posters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

the YES campaign will always have an uphill battle

you see the truth and facts are alot more boring than catchy lies, slogans and negativity that the NO side come up with

but what can you do, the posters are correct Lisbon is good for us and its good for rest of europe

They obviously cant go into any deeper discussions on the posters as space is premium

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_oJfWtyg1AxA/Sp2wGKQG90I/AAAAAAAAAF4/n3uHTZaJs4g/s400/SDC10986.JPG

anyone havea full picture of the cow poster beaneath? is it a NO one :D

What we need are posters that highlight the advantages of Lisbon

* a picture of child standing next to a dirty coal plant with windmill superimposed in order to highlight green energy and global warming which will be addressed by lisbon

* something like a handshake to depict investment in ireland, business

* a picture of a trafficked prostitute? something that wont happen with better cross border crime policing

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    the YES campaign will always have an uphill battle

you see the truth and facts are alot more boring than catchy lies, slogans and negativity that the NO side come up with

but what can you do, the posters are correct Lisbon is good for us and its good for rest of europe

They obviously cant go into any deeper discussions on the posters as space is premium

I would agree with slogans along the lines of "Lisbon is Good for Ireland" but they dont say that

they definitely imply a no vote means we would not have Europe or be in Europe which I believe to be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Like others, I am disappointed with these posters. None of them make an argument for the Lisbon Treaty. They are generalised platitudes towards European Union.

Most Irish people are favourably disposed to the EU. The message from the Yes side should have been 'Lisbon makes the EU work better'. Instead we get a vague, passive/aggressive message. (e.g. I feel safer in Europe. You decide.)

Bad start by the YES campaign. Hopefully Labour, FG, IBEC and others can step up to the plate.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_oJfWtyg1AxA/Sp2wGKQG90I/AAAAAAAAAF4/n3uHTZaJs4g/s400/SDC10986.JPG

anyone havea full picture of the cow poster beaneath? is it a NO one :D

Its Coirs' 'Milked Dry' Poster. There's loads around in Dublin (although you would imagine it a message for rural voters).

You can see all the Coir posters here

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Its Coirs' 'Milked Dry' Poster. There loads are Dublin. I'll post one up later.

oh its ok so no need :D i can imagine

hey that gives me an idea

put up a poster with a fine cow on it, and underneath highlight how EU regulations and standards have given us high food standards and ensure quality

people need to be reminded what a great positive benefit EU membership has been to us, being the black sheep in the herd (ha another poster?!) would make it very hard for politicians to milk the EU for more money ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

oh its ok so no need :D i can imagine

hey that gives me an idea

put up a poster with a fine cow on it, and underneath highlight how EU regulations and standards have given us high food standards and ensure quality

people need to be reminded what a great positive benefit EU membership has been to us, being the black sheep in the herd (ha another poster?!) would make it very hard for politicians to milk the EU for more money ;)

How about a poster with a farmer milking a cow, the slogan could be "Lets milk Europe some more" or something like that!

has there been any YES posters along the line of:

keep our commissioner
    VOTE YES

since out useless commissioner has turned out to be such a crucial point last year, and now hes gonna stay come Lisbon

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZIgZe0eOkY8/SUbNgc2wAJI/AAAAAAAAAEg/cmarNb1vNI0/s200/Commissioner.jpg
    ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I don't see the big deal, hardly one slogan has changed for either side since the Nice referendum. They might as well have used the same ones with the name tippexed over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Like others, I am disappointed with these posters. None of them make an argument for the Lisbon Treaty. They are generalised platitudes towards European Union.

Most Irish people are favourably disposed to the EU. This message from the No side should have been 'Lisbon makes the EU work better'. Instead we get a vague, passive/aggressive message. (e.g. I feel safer in Europe. You decide.)

Bad start by the YES campaign. Hopefully Labour, FG, IBEC and others can step up to the plate.

In fact, I think the "I feel safer in Europe" is a reference to the various crime-fighting provisions. Of course, we've opted out of those, so perhaps she really does mean in Europe.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    In fact, I think the "I feel safer in Europe" is a reference to the various crime-fighting provisions. Of course, we've opted out of those, so perhaps she really does mean in Europe.

Thats what it looks like. I agree with her. I certainly don't feel safe in South America. I'd rather walk around Copenhagen at night time than Bogata.

Not a good reason to vote Yes to Lisbon though. If the caption was 'Lisbon makes Ireland safer' than maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Martin 2 wrote: »

LOL. I love sarcasm :D
    That was sarcasm right? Turning a vote on a treaty which restructures the EU into a vote on our very membership is nothing if not sensationalism.
    You and your canny sarcastic wit. Funny chap!

i see no monkeys or cows in the YES posters

maybe thats because the YES side treats people with respect and not insult their intelligence by stating clear lies

i see no monkeys or cows in the YES posters

maybe thats because the YES side treats people with respect and not insult their intelligence by stating clear lies

Actually I would say the treat us as idiots who need simple slogans about Europe as anything to do with the treaty is too complex for the general public to understand. As is shown in their posters.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Actually I would say the treat us as idiots who need simple slogans about Europe as anything to do with the treaty is too complex for the general public to understand. As is shown in their posters.

how would you design a YES poster?

typical no negativity there ShooterFS, lets see you try do something constructive

im still waiting on any NO poster that is not negative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Well if one was smart enough then they wouldn't have put 'Yes to the economy' on Fianna Fáils poster when they are just after making an absolute dogs dinner of ours.;)

typical no negativity there ShooterFS, lets see you try do something constructive

im still waiting on any NO poster that is not negative

First I don't like posters, full stop. Second, how would I design a yes poster. I guess, if I was in favour of it I would pick a part I am most proud of and mention that. You know something to do with the treaty.
    Last,
    "im still waiting on any NO poster that is not negative"
    How? Sweet enola gay. They're by their nature against the treaty how the **** would they be positive. How would you design a positive No poster?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    First I don't like posters, full stop. Second, how would I design a yes poster. I guess, if I was in favour of it I would pick a part I am most proud of and mention that. You know something to do with the treaty.
    Last,
    "im still waiting on any NO poster that is not negative"
    How? Sweet enola gay. They're by their nature against the treaty how the **** would they be positive. How would you design a positive No poster?

what positive aspects will arise out of refusing Lisbon? if any??

• Advertisement

what positive aspects will arise out of refusing Lisbon? if any??

The lisbon treaty not being passed.

Advertisement