Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cóir Posters

Options
  • 31-08-2009 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭

Out and about in the suburbs today and saw a bunch of the 1916/McCreevey misquote/€1.84 minimum posters up on lamp posts. Am I correct in thinking this is illegal until Wednesday? If so, who do I contact about getting them removed/fines for Cóir?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Toulousain wrote: »
    Out and about in the suburbs today and saw a bunch of the 1916/McCreevey misquote/€1.84 minimum posters up on lamp posts. Am I correct in thinking this is illegal until Wednesday? If so, who do I contact about getting them removed/fines for Cóir?

I asked the same question in the other Cóir thread,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055665349

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Id be far less concerned about the fines, then the blatent lies, misrepresentation, and horsesihte that is proffered on these posters.

Again, Coir highlight themselves to be populist nutters, with a europhobic itch. They use whatever argument suits their purpose (all with the intention of preventing the EU legisatiing vis-a-vis Irish abortion laws)

They are conspiravy theorists, nutters, and the least likable on a personal level of all the no canvassers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

They have put up loads of poster in my area and quiet a few are totally blocking road signs and traffic lights.

I am going to email them this evening and request for them to be moved.

Do you know if they can be fined for blocking traffic lights?

They have put up loads of poster in my area and quiet a few are totally blocking road signs and traffic lights.

Sure didnt God himself put them there ? Good luck trying to email God !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Report it to the Gardai instead.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/Environment/Waste/LitterPollution/FileDownLoad,20113,en.pdf
    The Road Traffic Acts contain requirements in relation to maintaining clear lines of sight for road users which may impact on where posters can be placed, e.g. not at traffic junctions or on roundabouts where they may cause road safety risks – check with the Roads section of your local authority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Het-Field wrote: »
    Sure didnt God himself put them there ? Good luck trying to email God !

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

Surely if the posters are causing an obstruction to road signs and traffic lights the Gardaí could do something?

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean.

Apoloigies !

Coir are directly linked to, and share an office with "Youth Defence", "The Mother and Child Campaign", "Precious life". They have links with evangelical nutters all over the world. They were also leading lights in former EU referenda, abortion referenda, and the 1995 divorce referendum. One of Mac Mathuna family is also a notorious litigant, who seeks to vindicate the rights of the "natural family" ona regular basis.

They see themselves as the last bastion of God's army on earth, and that the rest of us Europhiles are evil.

No Guff !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Are they still harping on about a yes vote is a vote for eating babies?

Are they still harping on about a yes vote is a vote for eating babies?

Believe it or not, even with legal guarantees, they still are.

• Advertisement

meglome wrote: »
    Believe it or not, even with legal guarantees, they still are.

And the Maastricht Protocol, and the plethora of ECJ Judges who have not intention fo driving a wedge between Ireland and the Union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Im disgusted at them as well, they put up a few in my area and they are blocking the sun light from the footpath. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They are taking a leaf out of the very effective Libertas campaign last time out. Unfortunately the messages are so completely absurd that they are more likely to cause an accident than garner votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

is_that_so wrote: »
    They are taking a leaf out of the very effective Libertas campaign last time out. Unfortunately the messages are so completely absurd that they are more likely to cause an accident than garner votes.
    You and I are not the people they're targeting these ads at, the people they ARE targeting them at may well believe them

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ste.phen wrote: »
    You and I are not the people they're targeting these ads at, the people they ARE targeting them at may well believe them

Was out Glasnevin/Finglas direction yesterday evening and then this morning I was coming down the N11 from Sandyford. The difference in the number of posters between the two areas was quite interesting. There was at least 1 poster per lamp-post yestreday, but in Stilorgan this morning it was more like 1 to every 6 or 7 lamp-posts.

But you're right, there are a lot of people buying into their crap. Let's just hope (and it's wishful thinking I know) that the Government get their finger out during the Yes campaign and at least make a real effort at addressing the lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Moromaster

Does anyone have links for pictures of the no-vote posters? (Lisbon).

I'm asking because they're quit amusing to read. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Het-Field wrote: »
    Apoloigies !

Coir are directly linked to, and share an office with "Youth Defence", "The Mother and Child Campaign", "Precious life". They have links with evangelical nutters all over the world. They were also leading lights in former EU referenda, abortion referenda, and the 1995 divorce referendum. One of Mac Mathuna family is also a notorious litigant, who seeks to vindicate the rights of the "natural family" ona regular basis.

They see themselves as the last bastion of God's army on earth, and that the rest of us Europhiles are evil.

No Guff !

Jaysus, I didn't know they were that bad!:eek:

I thought there was something fishy about those posters, alright. Especially the minimum wage one. Did they just pull that figure out of their ear, or do they have some evidence that it would be lowered that much?

Between these posters, and the reason anyboy I've asked who's voting NO being "because I'm sticking it to the gubberment! They won't bully me, I tells ya" I'm definetely leaning towards a ''Yes''. Though I'm still a bit confused about the whole thing, over all.

Acacia wrote: »
    I thought there was something fishy about those posters, alright. Especially the minimum wage one. Did they just pull that figure out of their ear, or do they have some evidence that it would be lowered that much?

Downright rubbish would be a better description. The EU has no right whatsoever to set the minimum wage in Ireland. That is solely the responsibility of our government and that doesn't change with Lisbon in any way, shape or form.
    Acacia wrote: »
    Between these posters, and the reason anyboy I've asked who's voting NO being "because I'm sticking it to the gubberment! They won't bully me, I tells ya" I'm definetely leaning towards a ''Yes''. Though I'm still a bit confused about the whole thing, over all.

Do people really think that Fianna Fail, the rubber necked ****bags they are, will leave government if the 2nd Lisbon referendum is another No vote? Lisbon is about the better running of the EU and not a popularity vote on Fianna Fail and I really hope most people appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

95% of Europeans would vote 'No' - Charlie McCreavy.

A man we all know to be good with numbers...... :rolleyes:

Seriously, where do this crowd get off?? I'm all for free speech, and freedom of choice etc etc but seriously, they talk absolute total and utter BS.

If anything, they are so full of BS, they are making voting 'No' seem like a joke, surely detrimental to their own apparent cause!
    Do people really think that Fianna Fail, the rubber necked ****bags they are, will leave government if the 2nd Lisbon referendum is another No vote? Lisbon is about the better running of the EU and not a popularity vote on Fianna Fail and I really hope most people appreciate that.

Unfortunately the majority of the Irish populous is so ignorant to the truth about any serious matter (Sellafield, Europe et al) that a shiny poster might actually have them scared into voting No.

This sort of thing should be banned, and hefty fines imposed for those posting up blatant lies to twist people's vote. Oh wait......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think the quote from McCreevy said that 95% of countries would vote No if the question was put to the people. So I'm guessing that means 25.65 countries would vote No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Stark wrote: »
    I think the quote from McCreevy said that 95% of countries would vote No if the question was put to the people. So I'm guessing that means 25.65 countries would vote No.

lol

I actually think the poster I saw said Europeans though - I'll confirm on my way home later.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The posters paraphrase it. You can read what he said here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ireland/5675481/Ireland-commissioner-says-most-EU-countries-would-reject-Lisbon-Treaty.html

The best thing about Lisbon I would have been that we'd only have the eejit every 2 out of 3 years.

lol

I actually think the poster I saw said Europeans though - I'll confirm on my way home later.

Yeah it says Europeans, which is not what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I would love to know how NO voters feel about these Coir posters. Surely a little embarrassed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Voltwad wrote: »
    I would love to know how NO voters feel about these Coir posters. Surely a little embarrassed?

I would imagine they are as embarrased as I am with the 'Its Simple. I'm Safer in Europe.' Woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Whatever gets the job done...

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Keewee6

no nothing about coir - not sure wat i think

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    I would imagine they are as embarrased as I am with the 'Its Simple. I'm Safer in Europe.' Woman.
    That's a debatable point whereas Coír's statement is rubbish. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I think they're pathetic. But so are the Yes ones. I'll try and sum the up here.

Coir No Poster:
    <Insert Lie Here About Lisbon>
    VOTE NO TO LISBON

Yes Posters (That I have seen online so far):
    <Insert positive comment about Europe or travelling habits that have nothing to do with Lisbon>
    VOTE YES TO <Lisbon/Europe etc>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Stark wrote: »

Charlie was talking out of his ass on that one. Let's not forget that 16 states voted yes to the EU constitution, usually by vast margins, and the constitution went further than the treaty.

Advertisement