Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenmare Sept 12th 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Thanks Tunney. Any idea of the times?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Bambaata wrote: »
    Thanks Tunney. Any idea of the times

*Think* 3:57 won the mens, McCrystal was 20 minutes down on him. Not sure on the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

keane 3:57 (amazing 20 mins ahead)
    McCrystal 4:17
    Woods 4:21

Masslova 4:42
    J. Wolfe 4:48
    Lee 4:52

I didn't do it in the end.

huge problems with the organisation. Had I been ref I wouldn't have signed the race permit. Beautiful day for it, people suffered in the heat but it was fantastic for those of us who love heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

huge problems with the organisation. Had I been ref I wouldn't have signed the race permit. Beautiful day for it, people suffered in the heat but it was fantastic for those of us who love heat.

Didn't notice any major probs HM - what happened? Noticed a few people giving out due to lack of marshalls on the run (and too many around trans)

Savage time by Keane...

Had a great day and delighted to finish in sub 6 for my first HiM (and only second tri this year) especially given the severe lack of training.

Scenery going up Healys pass on the day that was in it was absolutely spectacular (for those of us who were slow enough to enjoy it!) Kinda blessed that the run route had a fair bit of cover in terms of shade.

Anyone see the psycho loosing the plot outside transition pre race - had a problem with tyres and was roaring abuse at his wife ! I noticed someone in his age cat got DQ for abusing marshall so assuming it was him...

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭cantswim

didn't notice any major problems with organisation either.

can't imagine how anyone could go wrong on the run. it was out and back. keep going till the turn around.

the scenary on the bike was amazing given the day that was in it. couldn't have asked for better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

I did the race in the end and boy did I suffer.

Should have quit but kept at it until the end. It was about 40 mins off my time.

I saw and heard that lunatic. I saw him on the run as well and gave him back some of the abuse he gave his wife, marshals and Athletes.

I heard the run was slightly longer than it should have been but I reckon we are only talking about 300-600m so not a biggy. The cycle was short of the 82km and they probably could have done with an extra marshal or two on the bike course.

Aid stations were well prepared for the weather. I was in the second half of the group and there was still plenty of water to have my usual shower to cool down!!

I did see 3 people go down on the run due to exhaustion/dehydration.

Other than that a great race in what can only be described as one of the most scenic places on the planet.

I'll be back next year to conquer the course proper.

keane 3:57 (amazing 20 mins ahead)
    McCrystal 4:17
    Woods 4:21

Masslova 4:42
    J. Wolfe 4:48
    Lee 4:52

I didn't do it in the end.

Heard there was a bad accident on the bike (which wrote off a 8k bike) but didn't hear anything else. kenmare is not renowned for its organisation but I thought it was improving, last year was certainly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Cannot say I noticed any of the bad organisation myself, but then what would a green horn like myself know. What a great event. It really felt special finishing it. I was delighted to come in well ahead of my target time. Given I had never done any of the distances in training or a race I was very happy. I completed with a 5:34:50.

I could not get over the going of Bryan Keane. He was flying on the run. Why is it none of the elites even acknowlege you when you given them a shout when they come against you on the run. Actually one of the top 5 did but cannot remember which of them it was. I was seriously impressed by Maslova also. She's a super athlete.

Another super time by MCOS. A top 50 finish in sub 5 hours. What a guy! :eek:

Unfortunately we missed the night out as we had to head back to Galway. I assume it was a cracker. Never got to Jam either tunney. Was gutted! :(

The scenary on the cycle was incredible. The first descent was class. I have never experienced anything like that before. Exciting stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

pgibbo wrote: »
    I could not get over the going of Bryan Keane. He was flying on the run. Why is it none of the elites even acknowlege you when you given them a shout when they come against you on the run. Actually one of the top 5 did but cannot remember which of them it was. I was seriously impressed by Maslova also. She's a super athlete.

Imagine having to smile and say hello to 250 people as you are trying your hardest to get a podium in a national championship after 4 hours of exercise, you choose to say hello to a couple of people so its not that hard for you, but a lot of people would cheer them, bryan was interviewed at the end and was asked what the hardest part of the race was and he said having to say thanks to other people competing that were shouting at him.

He was different class though, 1.15 for the run, and he was cruising, was talking to him after and he was just doing it at his long run pace as he has 3 big races coming up, what a sicko!

Imagine having to smile and say hello to 250 people as you are trying your hardest to get a podium in a national championship after 4 hours of exercise, you choose to say hello to a couple of people so its not that hard for you, but a lot of people would cheer them, bryan was interviewed at the end and was asked what the hardest part of the race was and he said having to say thanks to other people competing that were shouting at him.

He was different class though, 1.15 for the run, and he was cruising, was talking to him after and he was just doing it at his long run pace as he has 3 big races coming up, what a sicko!

I know he is a fantasic athlete but to be honest the athlete who I think deserves huge praise is the full time worker who is a new dad that finished second.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    I know he is a fantasic athlete but to be honest the athlete who I think deserves huge praise is the full time worker who is a new dad that finished second.

Will that be you next year tunney?

All those guys looked to be cruising and like everything I suppose, when it's done well it looks easy. It was very impressive to see but beggars belief how they can do it. I can understand how the pros do it but for someone that works fulltime and has a new born or family at home it's just amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

what is it in the water at aid stations this year? Everyone seems to be having babies (no not me!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Heard there was a bad accident on the bike (which wrote off a 8k bike) but didn't hear anything else. kenmare is not renowned for its organisation but I thought it was improving, last year was certainly good.

There could have been a few more marshalls alright. Yeah That guy was hit by a motorcycle near the top of the Caha Pass.

Super event and I'd recommend to anyone but its tough too. I heard they ran out of water at the finish at some point?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

Well done MCOS super time, read your report.
    Was a super day. Really tough event.
    Did 5.15 myself and very pleased with that.
    Suffered on the Caha Pass a bit and was passed by a fair few up there.
    Had to stop twice on the bike to relieve myself, tried to go on the move but couldnt, need to learn how to do that !
    Enjoyed the run and passed a few back over last 5K.
    It certainly is not flat.
    Will be back next year to knock 30 mins off that time.

Well done MCOS super time, read your report.
    Was a super day. Really tough event.
    Did 5.15 myself and very pleased with that.
    Suffered on the Caha Pass a bit and was passed by a fair few up there.
    Had to stop twice on the bike to relieve myself, tried to go on the move but couldnt, need to learn how to do that !
    Enjoyed the run and passed a few back over last 5K.
    It certainly is not flat.
    Will be back next year to knock 30 mins off that time.

Well done Poncherello. 30 mins is quite agressive on a tough course like that. Where and how are you planning to shave off 30 mins?

Swim 2 mins
    Transitions 3 mins - i could have made a cup of tea for the amount of time i spent in T1 !
    Bike 15 mins - after 2 yrs on a heavy racer I will upgrade this winter and also train thro winter for first time
    Run 10 mins - Once I get the bike fitness to the level it needs to be at this should take care of itself

Swim 2 mins
    Transitions 3 mins - i could have made a cup of tea for the amount of time i spent in T1 !
    Bike 15 mins - after 2 yrs on a heavy racer I will upgrade this winter and also train thro winter for first time
    Run 10 mins - Once I get the bike fitness to the level it needs to be at this should take care of itself

Thanks Poncherello. Makes sense when you break it down like that. The only concern I would have is that conditions were ideal on Saturday. If the weather is wet and windy that will make the swim and bike a lot more difficult. Based on that, is it better to pick a better / higher finishing place rather than time? Like you I know I can make improvements on next eyar too and am considering the toss on time versus placings. I know what you mean about transitions - 5:08 and 2:38 for me - taking the p*ss and should be a hell of a lot faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

ill be hoping to do this for the first time next year so reading all your comments is great. how did your nutrition plans go for you all? Is there any one thing you would do differently?

Yeah conditions were excellent no doubt, will be more of a challenge if the wind blows alright.
    I dunno about worrying about placings. Unless you are up there in the top 20-30, I would say in my limited experience that the longer you go the more important it is to race against yourself rather than worrying about where you are in relation to the field.

Bambaata wrote: »
    ill be hoping to do this for the first time next year so reading all your comments is great. how did your nutrition plans go for you all? Is there any one thing you would do differently?

personally I was happy with my nutrition. I ate 2 hours before the the race started and sipped High 5 energy drink between then and the race starting. The only concern I had was the chicken burger in the chipper and 11:00 the night before. Thankfully that didn't effect me. Couldn't be avoided though as it took us 6 hours to get to Kenmare and we missed registration, etc.

Once I got on the bike I drank only water for the first 30 minutes. I alternated between a bar and gel for every 30 minutes on the bike. 30 mins was a nutri grain elevenses bar, 60 mins a gel, 90 mins a granola bar, 120 mins a gel, 150 mins a nutri grain elevenses bar & a gel at 180 mins. I also started to take High 5 energy drink 15 minutes after my first gel. I also only took water 15 minutes either side of each gel. In total I drank 750ml of High 5 on the bike and 1.5l of water.

On the run I walked each of the 4 water stations and drank 2 cups of water. I only took a gel after 45mins of running. I think I would have been wiser to maybe take a gel at each water station. I only took one for the whole run at water station number 2. Other than that I think my hydration / food strategy worked well for me.

You should defo do it next year. It's a great event with some amazing athletes on show - even if you do only see them at the start and again on the run for a fleeting moment! :D

• Advertisement

Bfast 2.5 hrs before start - Porridge & Power bar

Ate a banana and another half power bar between then and start anmd probably "sipped" 750ml of water too

Had Aerodrink bottle with water and 2 750ml bottles, one water one gatorade(the stuff u mix urself) on bike.
    Ate 1 banana, 4 fig rolls and 4 gels while on bike. Finished both water bottles and was about one third of my gatorade left. Didnt need to fill up at the aid station. I was concerned that I had drunk too much before start as I couldnt stop going to the toilet !
    Took 4 gels out on run with me, plan was to take one at each water station. But after 2nd one I got some slight stomach cramps so skiped the gel at 3rd water stop and took a 3rd at the final water stop.

I obviously drank too much in 24 hrs before the race as I had to stop to go to toilet once in swim, twice on bike and twice on the run !

I would be interested in hearing any criticisms of my nutrition strategy ..

Poncherello well done on your race! Twas a good one eh :)

Predicting Time.

I was very wary about this. It was unknown territory for me in both the distance and course. Looking at 2008 results was irrelevant as swim times were a good 20 mins slower than usual due to heavy rainfall creating a serious flow.

What I do is estimate a best case scenario set of splits based on my previous performances, likely conditions and previous results of people I know fairly well (basically as many factors as I can for reality). I also do a worst case scenario (If I crash and burn on the run etc...). This gives me a range to land in and I'm usually quite happy to post a result between the 2. Nothing worse than over estimating your goal though. Its is exhilerating however to write down a goal that is a stretch for you but still possible and then doing it!

I would agree that taking 30 mins off is a very tall order based on the conditions we had this year. I mean dropping your bike split by 15 mins and still having the legs to go 10 mins faster on the run... its ambitious thats for sure and I wish you the best of luck with that.

Placings is interesting too as It all depends on the standard in the race.

Nutrition Plan.

My nutrition plan started about 5 days before the race and I follwed it almost to the letter. I was never so disciplined in the kitchen! On race day I had a race plan and it worked. A few things

-Carb loading properly ie: lost of carb based meals rather than a bucket of stodgy pasta the night before leaving you bloated the morning of thr race.
    -It was hotter than expected so water and electrolytes played a bigger part.
    -I took a gel and water 10 mins before the swim.
    -Only water for the first 30 mins of the bike, HR was the priority.
    -Eating early on the bike, at 2 hours into the race I didn't feel like eating but I knew I had to.
    -Washing gels down with a good gulp of water every time
    -Timing the sports drink so it wasn't too close to gels
    -Having reserves in transition (a mate lost his food off the bike and was starving at T2)
    -They offer gatorade and water at stations... choose wisely. If you have just had a gel don't throw a sticky sugary drink down too soon after it.

Most importantly, having a plan for what works for you, organising it and sticking to it. (Made a big differnece to me)

Its all good knowing WHAT you are going to eat and drink but more important is WHEN and HOW

Detail
    Breakfast porridge, jam, granola bar, fresh orange juice, toast 2.5 hours before
    650ml sports drink 1 hour before (sipping not gulping)
    Gel + water 10 mins before
    Only water for first 30 mins of bike
    30 mins gel + water
    60 mins 300ml sports drink (sis psp22)
    75 mins gel + water
    90 mins cereal bar + water
    100 mins took water at station
    120 mins gel + water
    135 mins 300ml sports drink
    150 mins gel + water

On run (had a banana waiting in T2 but decided against it)
    Took 4 gels with me and took about 15 secs before each water station and then walked the station drinking 1-2 cups of water. x 4 times

It was just about enough. The stretch between T2 and the first water station was a bit long to go without water.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

MCOS, have you finished all them chocolate hob nobs yet? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

While its obviously a personal thing I just thought I'd mention that my HRM gave me a reading of 5354 cals burned so that's a lotta nuitrition demand.

personally I was happy with my nutrition. I ate 2 hours before the the race started and sipped High 5 energy drink between then and the race starting. The only concern I had was the chicken burger in the chipper and 11:00 the night before. Thankfully that didn't effect me. Couldn't be avoided though as it took us 6 hours to get to Kenmare and we missed registration, etc.

Once I got on the bike I drank only water for the first 30 minutes. I alternated between a bar and gel for every 30 minutes on the bike. 30 mins was a nutri grain elevenses bar, 60 mins a gel, 90 mins a granola bar, 120 mins a gel, 150 mins a nutri grain elevenses bar & a gel at 180 mins. I also started to take High 5 energy drink 15 minutes after my first gel. I also only took water 15 minutes either side of each gel. In total I drank 750ml of High 5 on the bike and 1.5l of water.

On the run I walked each of the 4 water stations and drank 2 cups of water. I only took a gel after 45mins of running. I think I would have been wiser to maybe take a gel at each water station. I only took one for the whole run at water station number 2. Other than that I think my hydration / food strategy worked well for me.

You should defo do it next year. It's a great event with some amazing athletes on show - even if you do only see them at the start and again on the run for a fleeting moment! :D

If you don't mind (waiting on a build) some comments:
    1) Sipping energy drink between breakfast and the race start is very comment but also a bad idea, it plays havoc with your insulin levels
    2) Bars on the bike, you won't digest them in time, yes they help with feelings of hungry but will contribute little to calories.
    3) On the run, gel at start, one at 3 miles, 6 miles and 9 would be what i have found the best strategy

If you don't mind (waiting on a build) some comments:
    1) Sipping energy drink between breakfast and the race start is very comment but also a bad idea, it plays havoc with your insulin levels
    2) Bars on the bike, you won't digest them in time, yes they help with feelings of hungry but will contribute little to calories.
    3) On the run, gel at start, one at 3 miles, 6 miles and 9 would be what i have found the best strategy

Thanks for those comments tunney. A couple of questions if I may.

What do you mean by waiting on a build - a software build that you are waiting on and filling in time here or do you want to know my build? I believe you are a developer if memory serves me right.

Would I be better sipping water and taking a gel somewhere between 30 and 10 minutes before the swim?

What should I take on the bike in place of the bars? Would I just take a gel every 30 mins or move to 45 mins?

Would you take water with the gels on the run? As the staions don't always go to your strategy, do you carry a bottle or wear a water belt to wash the gels down?

I also neglected to mention that 1 hour before the swim I ate a handful of Brazil Nuts and dried apricots. Any concerns with that? Are they a good pre-race food? Cheers.

Thanks for those comments tunney. A couple of questions if I may.

What do you mean by waiting on a build - a software build that you are waiting on and filling in time here or do you want to know my build? I believe you are a developer if memory serves me right.

Sorry - yes, software build
    Would I be better sipping water and taking a gel somewhere between 30 and 10 minutes before the swim?

Is water even necessary? Pop a gel and water if required 20 minutes before the race, imho.
    What should I take on the bike in place of the bars? Would I just take a gel every 30 mins or move to 45 mins?

Gels
    Would you take water with the gels on the run? As the staions don't always go to your strategy, do you carry a bottle or wear a water belt to wash the gels down?
    For an irish race (read unreliable) and if the weather was hot I'd have a fuel belt. Otherwise no.
    I also neglected to mention that 1 hour before the swim I ate a handful of Brazil Nuts and dried apricots. Any concerns with that? Are they a good pre-race food? Cheers.

I like brazil nuts. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Tunny - that means your taking a gel before the race, 5-6 on the bike and 3 on the run. Thats 10 gels in total. Do you not get a bad dose of the ****s after all those gels?

"2) Bars on the bike, you won't digest them in time, yes they help with feelings of hungry but will contribute little to calories." - Has this been proven? I ate 4 in Austria and had no issues. What about high energy bars or Bananas.

potsy11 wrote: »
    TunnEy - that means your taking a gel before the race, 5-6 on the bike and 3 on the run. Thats 10 gels in total. Do you not get a bad dose of the ****s after all those gels?
    Why would I? They are just sugar? I wouldn't take 5-6 on the bike in a HIM anyways, more like 3 but thats me.
    potsy11 wrote: »
    "2) Bars on the bike, you won't digest them in time, yes they help with feelings of hungry but will contribute little to calories." - Has this been proven? I ate 4 in Austria and had no issues. What about high energy bars or Bananas.

IM versus HIM. :)In IM the issue would be more GI stress.

• Advertisement

stevie_b wrote: »
    MCOS, have you finished all them chocolate hob nobs yet? :)

LOL aye and I tucked into a Terrys chocolate orange cake also on Sunday :D

Advertisement