Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenmare Sept 12th 2009

Options
  • 31-08-2009 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Many on here doing it ?

Just wondering what sort of training people are doing for next 2 weeks.
    I did a 90k/21k brick at race pace on Sat morn still feeling it a bit so will take an extra rest day today.
    Tues - Easy 10K run
    Wed - 3hr bikehills/45 mins run
    Thurs - Swim Session
    Fri - bike to work, maybe do few laps park on way home
    Sat - 1hr time trial/2hr run
    Sun - Swim session

I am wondering what should I do the following week. Never done anything this long so never really need to 'taper' my training ?

Also what are people planning on wearing for the bike. After Sat morning I think I will have to reconsider wearing just the tri-suit, was very cold out there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Many on here doing it ?

Just wondering what sort of training people are doing for next 2 weeks.
    I did a 90k/21k brick at race pace on Sat morn still feeling it a bit so will take an extra rest day today.
    Tues - Easy 10K run
    Wed - 3hr bikehills/45 mins run
    Thurs - Swim Session
    Fri - bike to work, maybe do few laps park on way home
    Sat - 1hr time trial/2hr run
    Sun - Swim session

I am wondering what should I do the following week. Never done anything this long so never really need to 'taper' my training ?

Also what are people planning on wearing for the bike. After Sat morning I think I will have to reconsider wearing just the tri-suit, was very cold out there.

Jesus that is some week of training! With a Full race over distance/race pace workout just done :eek: Its just 12 days to the event so IMO that wednesday brick looks like too much. You already proved to yourself you can go the distance hard so why do you need to do 2 more heavy bricks within 7 days and a week out from the race? I may be corrected on this of course but I reckon you have the work done and in the bag dude and may gain more benefit from a decent taper at this point!

I'm wearing my Tri Suit under the wetsuit, however, I'll have a light jacket in transition in case its milling on the day...

So

Who's doing the Lost Sheep? Not expecting this to be a long list :rolleyes:

MCOS
    Pocherello

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

MCOS
    Pocherello
    hunnymonster

• Registered Users Posts: 38 DaveyByrne

I'm doing it... haven't trained very well in the last 2 weeks, but did some decent stuff before that. Did a 80k cycle and 20k run on Sat... rough!

I'm wearing a tri top, but I've got a micro rain-jacket in my bike-pouch for when I'm cycling. I've done the cycle route (about a month ago) and when it rains up at the top of the mountain it gets cold - particularly on the descent. Actually I don't think it was raining properly, but the clouds were so low it seemed like rain and I was soaked.

Be careful on the descent after the caha pass (second mountain)... the temptation is to go very fast, and there are a couple of sections of nice road that go straight into small (20m) patches of broken road and gravel which are absolutely LETHAL at high speed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

Weather guy on RTE last night said that there is a high pressure zone on the way and depending what happens in next few days he hinted that we might be in for some decent weather... then he kinda laughed and said sure it couldnt get much worse now could it !

Would be great though if we didnt have to worry about jackets etc and could really attack the descents if it stays dry

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

I hear the run route has changed and the start time?
    Does anyone know where one could look at the new route map?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

I'm doing it.
    Poncherello, sound to me like you've done more than enough and if you don't take it easy this week and rest up, you may have done too much. Then again, I know nothing about you, maybe you recover real easy compared to me. Anyway, best of luck! Did my last hard session (45k bike and 8k run race pace) last night, looking forward to a full weeks taper this week....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

The Cork Tri website has the 2009 briefing doc available with a partial map and a description. Start time is listed as 8.15am for the swim

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

MCOS
    Pocherello
    hunnymonster
    pgibbo
    Spins

• Advertisement

I think a certain lady in the bunch there is going to hand us all our asses :rolleyes:

I'm so knackered after all the races this year. The only reason I took a transfer entry was realising himself is the race ref so I would be in Kenmare that weekend anyway. Might as well do something if I'm going to be there.

I hope the weather improves before Saturday. It's wet, cold and windy in Galway - hope it's not as bad in Kenmare. Coming down the descents could be very interesting if it's a wet day. :eek:

It's very wet in Cork. I actually had to go back and get the car this morning, road was too wet/flooded to cycle :-(

Settled weather is expected with a strong anticyclone centred over or close to Ireland and dominating our weather giving us dry pleasant weather. Thursday, Friday and Saturday will be dry with variable cloud amounts but sunny spells expected in all areas and winds will be light. Top afternoon temperatures will be typically in the high teens 17 to 19 degrees C. Winds will be very light or calm by night leading to cool, misty foggy conditions at night and in the early mornings, minima typically of 5 to 8 degrees.

So 3 swim caps and some sun lotion :D

Anyone who did it last year have any info on the water stations on the run ?
    Thx

Anyone who did it last year have any info on the water stations on the run ?
    Thx

Good question. Debating if I should buy a fuel belt for this event for water and gels. Might be a bit daft if I'm not used to running with one. Any thoughts on this?

Given the unpredicable Irish weather, even though it is forecast good for Saturday, I was wondering do people take extra kit with them for a HIM? For a Spront or Olympic distance it's not as big an issue. But I am wondering what kit/clothing people are bringing for the run and cycle on Saturday. Should I invest in a pair of those arm warmers for the 2 climbs, etc, etc. Cheers

Ah now, unless you are relatively cold blooded you will be grand. I was going to have a light jacket for the bike in T1 just in case of a downpour but fat chance of that this weekend (I'm staying optimistic :D). I'd just overheat in long sleeves on the run

• Registered Users Posts: 41 jollybean

Does anyone know what the profile of the run route is like. It used to be a relatively flat one...what's it like now as i think they changed it in the last year or two???

• Advertisement

There will be 4 aid stations on the run with water and Gatorade, and one on the bike at Glengarrif as per email from race organisers.

If you do a search of previous threads I think there is a few that mention the run route being challenging with a fair few 'rollers'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

There will be 4 aid stations on the run with water and Gatorade, and one on the bike at Glengarrif as per email from race organisers.

If you do a search of previous threads I think there is a few that mention the run route being challenging with a fair few 'rollers'.

No rollers, its just flat, maybe not perfectly, but its flat.

Ok perhaps a silly question but I have not yet had the experience of a water station on the bike so wondering how it works. I'm sure it will be on a flat piece of road (does on exist in Ireland :confused:) so that you are not hurtling towards it at top speed.

Do they hand you the bottle and you slow down and take it? That would be a bit dodgy...

Like I said silly question but how does a bike water station work?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

I'm doing it - first Half.

For one reason or another practically no training over last month (apart from SK tour) - determined to finish it if I have to do a Welch/Ingraham type crawl!

See you all on Sat

Funkyzeit wrote: »

See you all on Sunday.

Why whats happening Sunday?

Best of Luck Funkyzeit and Poncherello, spins, hunnymonster and pgibbo :)

MCOS wrote: »
    Why whats happening Sunday?

Best of Luck Funkyzeit and Poncherello, spins, hunnymonster and pgibbo :)

Ditto MCOS. Best of luck to everyone on Saturday. :cool:

I've just been with the physio (some knee trouble I'm having). I was hoping he was going to tell me not to take part (I've zero enthusiasm for another event at the moment) but he said to go ahead and see him afterwards. Oh well, back to the excuses drawing board...

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Keith123, please read the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

I have a touch of a chest infection and I am in 2 minds as to do this race tomorrow.

I was off work for 2 days this week. I felt ****ty at the start but now I feel fine apart from the small coughs with green mucus (uchh.Sorry!).

Am i crazy to do the race?

Any advice?

Potsy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Mens
    1 Keane
    2 McCrystal
    3 Woods

Womens
    1 Elena
    2 Wolfe