Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

cormacjones how long have you been using a DE razor? Is it your first time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

cormacjones how long have you been using a DE razor? Is it your first time?

Yeah first time. The Merkur 34c seems to be recommended for beginners, so plumped for that.

I've been using brush, Proraso pre-shave, soap and aftershave balm with the mach3 up to now.

Yeah first time. The Merkur 34c seems to be recommended for beginners, so plumped for that.

I've been using brush, Proraso pre-shave, soap and aftershave balm with the mach3 up to now.

Cormacjones don't worry about blade sampling just now. Concentrate on your technique. There's no point sampling if your technique is varying from shave to shave.You'll end up blaming the blade. Mapping your bread growth and no pressure are the key. When you can get a DFS (Dam fine shave) and leave no weeps behind your ready grasshopper.
    If I where you I'd go with the Astra's and finish the whole pack then go with the personna's and do the same.

Cormacjones don't worry about blade sampling just now. Concentrate on your technique. There's no point sampling if your technique is varying from shave to shave.You'll end up blaming the blade. Mapping your bread growth and no pressure are the key. When you can get a DFS (Dam fine shave) and leave no weeps behind your ready grasshopper.
    If I where you I'd go with the Astra's and finish the whole pack then go with the personna's and do the same.

I was thinking hopping and jumping between blades at this stage might be a waste alright!

Thanks for the advice.

So I tried out the Merkur for the first time last night and I'm really impressed.

I did wtg x2, across x1 and atgx1. So four passes in total. Does this sound ok?

I only had very a few very small nicks on my neck, so watching mantic59's videos paid off (straight wrist, no pressure).

Decided to go with the personna blades, so I'll be interested to see how the others compare after I've finished the 10 pack.

Thanks to Shaving.ie for the great service and products.

• Advertisement

Hi - do you sell a sample pack of colognes as it's difficult to know which to purchase without sampling first?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

brenbrady wrote: »
    Hi - do you sell a sample pack of colognes as it's difficult to know which to purchase without sampling first?

I believe this is a discussion thread for the site, rather than a Talk to style thread, ran by the site owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Never even thought of checking this forum for shaving.ie until now. Placed my first order with them on Friday and made a mistake with it - ordered cream instead of soap. Contacted Chris through the form on the and he got back to me on Saturday and changed the cream to a soap for me - no hassle. Shipped Monday - hopefully arriving today or tomorrow :)

So for my first order:

1 x Merkur 34c HD Safety Razor
    1 x 50 Blade Premium Selection Sampler
    1 x Taylor Old Bond Street Traditional Shave Soap in a Bowl
    1 x Black Silvertip Special IV

I see a post in this thread recommending the order to try the different blades so I'll follow that and see how I get on. Better stock up on loo roll to patch up the face after my first attempt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I believe this is a discussion thread for the site, rather than a Talk to style thread, ran by the site owners.

The owner of Shaving.ie typically shows up and answers any questions. Examples are dotted throughout the thread if you care to take a look e.g.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84405351&postcount=1233

As to the original question, I don't think they sell sample packs. If you go to Trumpers directly they'll sell you a sample pack of creams and scents. There are other vendors that do sample packs e.g. Czech and Speake are one I know that sell to Ireland. French crowd too, can't remember their name right now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Do you still sell this? Cant see it on the site.

336809.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

jpb1974 wrote: »
    The owner of Shaving.ie typically shows up and answers any questions. Examples are dotted throughout the thread if you care to take a look e.g.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84405351&postcount=1233

As to the original question, I don't think they sell sample packs. If you go to Trumpers directly they'll sell you a sample pack of creams and scents. There are other vendors that do sample packs e.g. Czech and Speake are one I know that sell to Ireland. French crowd too, can't remember their name right now though.

Fair enough. I wasn't being a prick, just trying to help out is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

So I got my merkur 34c and a mix of 50 blades from shaving.ie

I'm just wondering what's the best order to try these blades out?

With my own research, this is my best guess:

1) personna platinum
    2) bic chrome platinum
    3) polsilver super iridium
    4) Gillette 7'oc yellow
    5) Timor
    6) Astra
    7) Feather

Anything I'm mixing up badly there? Thanks

I got a similar set. No Bic - got Derby Extra instead. Should I just slot that in for the bic? I'll start today with the personna anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Orion wrote: »
    I got a similar set. No Bic - got Derby Extra instead. Should I just slot that in for the bic? I'll start today with the personna anyway.

From what I remember Derby Extra are fairly mild so they should slot in there no problem.

The Derby have a legendary reputation... no stash should be without a tuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Hi Chris. You had plastic protective headcovers for the R89 heads, I got one previously.
    I can't find them on your site now. Will you be getting them in again?

Don't expect to hear from Chris immediately. From his website -

Dear Customers, Our website is closed for a little while as we are soon to welcome a new arrival to the family. We will be back as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Don't expect to hear from Chris immediately. From his website -

Dear Customers, Our website is closed for a little while as we are soon to welcome a new arrival to the family. We will be back as soon as possible.

Congratulations are definitely in order!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Everything is back up and running. I ordered stuff over the weekend and got it in the post today :)

Hi, will you be getting the Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap back in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Hi, will you be getting the Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap back in?

Hi Cormacjones. It is on the way. Next Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Rosahane wrote: »
    Hi Chris. You had plastic protective headcovers for the R89 heads, I got one previously.
    I can't find them on your site now. Will you be getting them in again?

???

Rosahane wrote: »
    ???

Hi Rosahane, These are back on Wednesday. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Chris, I'm due to put in my annual order soon, but here's a question. I picked up a tube of Williams cream in Brussels last month and it's satisfactory in every way. Have you every thought of stocking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

Hi Chris was going to put in an order today and needed to order a replacement muhle r89 toplate. Any idea when it will be back in stock. Was going to get a second razor anyway but will hold of ordering if it will be just a few days. Really don't want to go back to using my gillete fusion :(

http://www.shaving.ie/products/muhle-replacement-top-plate-r89.html

Michael G wrote: »
    Chris, I'm due to put in my annual order soon, but here's a question. I picked up a tube of Williams cream in Brussels last month and it's satisfactory in every way. Have you every thought of stocking it?

I have looked into it but was unable to to source it. They do some nice aftershave also.
    Ryath wrote: »
    Hi Chris was going to put in an order today and needed to order a replacement muhle r89 toplate. Any idea when it will be back in stock. Was going to get a second razor anyway but will hold of ordering if it will be just a few days. Really don't want to go back to using my gillete fusion :(

http://www.shaving.ie/products/muhle-replacement-top-plate-r89.html
    I added a few more to the site.. Thanks.

Hi Chris,

When are you going to be getting more RazoRock soaps in? Also, any chance of getting in some of the artisan soaps from the states like Tikibar, Soap commander, Caties bubbles, Barrister and Mann, Reef point. ect?

Hi Chris,

When are you going to be getting more RazoRock soaps in? Also, any chance of getting in some of the artisan soaps from the states like Tikibar, Soap commander, Caties bubbles, Barrister and Mann, Reef point. ect?

Hi, It will probably be next month before I get more RazoRock in. There is normally a fairly long delay and availability is hit and miss. At the moment the exchange rates are not great so it is not really a good time to bring in any additional products from the USA. Currently they would just be too expensive but they may be on the road map in the future.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No sign of Mitchells Wool Fat shaving soap on the site anymore? I've found this to be the very best saving soap for me, please say you'll have it back again?

Also, I've been using Derby blades since 2009 but my last bulk back is just about empty. Any suggestions for a comparable blade? (since I not Derby bulk packs are also not in stock anymore)

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    No sign of Mitchells Wool Fat shaving soap on the site anymore? I've found this to be the very best saving soap for me, please say you'll have it back again?

Also, I've been using Derby blades since 2009 but my last bulk back is just about empty. Any suggestions for a comparable blade? (since I not Derby bulk packs are also not in stock anymore)

Hi Cabaal, Don't worry it's certainly due back! Last week Mitchell's said it should ship out in 5-7 days so I guess it should be here sometime next week. Derby's arrived back today (and are now online) but if you are interested in an alternative at a similar price point Astra Green or Personna Platinum would get my vote.
    Thanks, Chris

Advertisement