Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been spiked?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

It's funny how people seem to think if they have 5 drinks it will effect them the exact same all the time. As somebody said add in the factors of Empty stomach/medication/tiredness/stress/how fast you drink/what type of drink, they all have an effect. Everyone on this board has a friend who got spiked supposedly, funnily enough the effects they describe are most common when taking spirits or shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Davei141 wrote: »
    It's funny how people seem to think if they have 5 drinks it will effect them the exact same all the time. As somebody said add in the factors of Empty stomach/medication/tiredness/stress/how fast you drink/what type of drink, they all have an effect. Everyone on this board has a friend who got spiked supposedly, funnily enough the effects they describe are most common when taking spirits or shots.

Totally agree.

The most sick I've ever been after drink, was a day after I finished a course of strong antibiotics. By the time I finished my second drink (vodka and coke), I was violently ill, and it lasted the whole night. Now I know the GP and the pharmacist warned me about the effects of alcohol and this antibiotic but of course I must have been spiked, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

Was in bed last night and I heard a cat outside making the creepiest noise. It was a really eerie 'meeeooooooww'

.............oh, you said 'spiked', sorry......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Withnail:
    You wouldn't spike me you're too mean. Besides, there's nothing
    invented I couldn't take.
    Danny:
    If I medicined you you'd think a brain tumour was a birthday present.
    Withnail:
    I could take double anything you could.
    Danny [removing his sunglasses]:
    Very, very foolish words man.
    I:
    He's right Withnail. Look at him . His mechanisms gone. He's had more
    drugs than you've had hot dinners.
    Withnail:
    I'm not having this shag-sack insulting me. Let him get his drugs out.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭daniel91

I know a case when a joke turned out wrong. One of the lads put some sort or horse tablet into another guys drink when he went to the toilet, the tablet was for putting horses to sleep or something.

well there was only a tiny bit left of his pint in the glass and one of the bar staff was gathering the empty glass at the table and the other lads was letting the barman to lift the glass because they chickened out, but before he could the guy came back from the toilet and he was that greedy for drink he grabbed the glass of the barman and downed to last bit!

Nothing happened until they hit the night club, when the lad who had been spiked was falling all over the place and his girlfriend was knocking the crap out of him cause she just thought he hammered with drink.

Then he went home and the others didnt see him for a few days cause he didn't wake up for like 2 days! And to this day the lad who got spiked doesent know what happened to him. serves him right for being so greedy!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

daniel91 wrote: »
    Then he went home and the others didnt see him for a few days cause he didn't wake up for like 2 days! And to this day the lad who got spiked doesent know what happened to him. serves him right for being so greedy!:D

Serves him right???
    Whoever spiked his drink is an absolute Asshole tbh..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I only know of two people that said there had their drinkes spiked. One was a girl who later admited it was not a spike, she was too asshamed to admit she was preganant by a stranger and the other guy was spiked and ended up in hospital for 2 week and has permanent liver damage as a result. Some mad concotion was dropped into his coke, he was not even drinking so he was lucky people picked up that there was something wrong with him as he did not notice it himself at first. They never properly identified what was in his system but I did here that there was more than 4 different type of drugs detected.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭daniel91

Wazdakka wrote: »
    Serves him right???
    Whoever spiked his drink is an absolute Asshole tbh..
    It was his freinds, I know still not an excuse but they didn't have a clue what would happened and then decided against it, but it just turned out wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭m3llowship

Here is something interesting. People who take drugs never get "spiked".

Or people who ever have taken drugs in their past never get "spiked".

I think this is because they no the difference between drug intoxication and alcohol intoxication.

I've seen it happen a lot, people drinking stupidly and the next day they claim they got spiked.

More often than not, they got spiked by themselves and the drug was more alcohol than they were able for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭m3llowship

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

You can shove it up your arse for free and fu*k off while you're doing it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

m3llowship wrote: »
    You can shove it up your arse for free and fu*k off while you're doing it!

Well.. if its available as a suppository, Sleipnir can probably try..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

My only experience of getting "spiked" was pretty tame, if somewhat embarrassing.

I left my pint with three of my friends, came back 2 minutes later and downed what was left of it in one go (i.e. without tasting it). Within 20 minutes I was getting sick all over the stairs. Turned out the lads had mixed in bits of left-over drinks they'd found lying around on the table (jager, vodka, whiskey) and the combination did nasty things to my stomach.

With friends like those, eh? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Friends who are idiots certainly spike friends drinks but the phantom spiker by a rapist in Ireland appears to be a myth. As has already been pointed out the rape centres in Ireland don't have any records of it happening here.

On a side note I was at a gig once which was for an older crowd. I had two pints and suddenly felt quite ill went to the bathroom and passed out. Woke up about an hour later then passed out again. Continued for a few hours after I got home. A few years later I got the same felling except much worse and a pain this time. It turned out it was my appendix and I was told it could go into shock on occasion if there is a problem and the previous experience could have been that.

m3llowship wrote: »
    Here is something interesting. People who take drugs never get "spiked".

Or people who ever have taken drugs in their past never get "spiked".

I think this is because they no the difference between drug intoxication and alcohol intoxication.

I've seen it happen a lot, people drinking stupidly and the next day they claim they got spiked.

More often than not, they got spiked by themselves and the drug was more alcohol than they were able for.

So true. People talking about being spiked with E and stuff. Who the hell would waste a good E like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

It definetly happens alright. Was out for a family gathering one night when my uncle spotted someone slipping something into my other uncles drink.

Not sure what they were playing at as he was obviously with a crowd and it would have been difficult to get him alone even if he did get spiked. Cheap laugh?

Cheap laugh?

In some cases it might be to show someone up, show them in a bad light, dipso-like behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Amalgam wrote: »
    In some cases it might be to show someone up, show them in a bad light, dipso-like behaviour.

Yeah I would say that was the case alright. The only reason I think they picked him is that he was american and he stood out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

Seems like everyone agrees that spiking someones drink with a drug that makes them drowsy/messy/lose consiousness is a bad thing. I agree.

But what if you were to spike someones drink with some potent magic mushroom water/tea?:pac:

Make things a lot more interesting.

I'm joking of course.

... To spike someone's drinks with psychoactives\hallucinogens is far scummier than a sedative.

For the most part, sedatives can be sleeped off, but a hallucinogen might trigger memories that someone has repressed, it might make worse underlying anxiety a person has about their self image, or trigger depression. Not forgetting the short term confusion and experience of the drug itself.

I think someone that spikes drinks is a scummer anyway.. and friend or not, the type of person that needs a slap.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Spiralcars

Had my drink spiked quite a few years ago when in my first year at college. It must have been lsd/acid. I only had enough money for about two pints so it definitely was not the drink, and the fact that everything turned green and my hands were suddenly objects that needed intense inspection.

Anyway, I never found out who did it, and ended up at a great party that night, on my own.

Downside was that I failed my exam the next morning as I had about 3 minutes sleep and pupils the size of saucers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Done to death.
    In fact I started a thread on it before

People who claim they were spiked were poisoned and drugged.....no question!
    It was alcohol that was the drug.

Sure look at it another way.
    A girl makes a fool out of herself in a nightclub and goes off with some loser.
    Will she say:
    "I was spiked, it's not my fault"
    or
    "I drank so much and lost all control, I was a fool and the laugh of the town"

Claiming your drink was spiked? If you don't have a report from a laboratory in the HSE, quit your lying!

Advertisement