Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 102 Discussion (Will Contain Spoilers)

Options
124»

Comments

Fozzy wrote: »
    Yeah, you could see him shouting at him at the end when Randy was stuck in guard

Amazing isn't it ? Because recently Couture was badmouthing the way Brock had celebrated etc

I think Brock must have accepted the criticism and realised the guy is a bigger legend than he is at the moment and wanted him to win.

I wanted Couture to win, he's such a classy bloke. He doesn't take anything personally, he just fights and if he loses, gets on with it. He also doesn't strike me as the bloke who'd get caught up in verbal assaults like the hot headed Brock.

I gotta admit though, I love Lesnar losing the head and getting annoyed - nothing wrong with it, just a different make up to Couture on a personal level.

I gotta admit though, I love Lesnar losing the head and getting annoyed - nothing wrong with it, just a different make up to Couture on a personal level.

Bad mouthing the company's biggest sponsor when it took nearly a decade for the sport to be accepted into the mainstream and seen as something other than a meatheads game, is ok with you?

Flipping off the fans who paid really good money (anyone who's ever been to a live UFC event knows how much the tickets cost) to come to the show?

I don't know why but this kind of behaviour is not ok with me and I definitely see something wrong with it.

Bad mouthing the company's biggest sponsor when it took nearly a decade for the sport to be accepted into the mainstream and seen as something other than a meatheads game, is ok with you?

Flipping off the fans who paid really good money (anyone who's ever been to a live UFC event knows how much the tickets cost) to come to the show?

I don't know why but this kind of behaviour is not ok with me and I definitely see something wrong with it.

It created a buzz and gave the show even bigger hype in the aftermath. It kept people talking. It pretty much went viral. People who aren't fans even heard about it.

What does this do in the long run ? It makes people dislike Brock, it makes people tune in when he next fights to see when he'll lose - people want him to lose, with all that, he brings in legions of more fans - in the long run, the true winner is UFC and their sponsors such as Bud Light etc because one day in the future, Brock will lose or else retire unbeaten either/or. - the sport is constantly growing, yeah badmouthing a sponsor that took so long to get was bad news in theory - but with all the fans it brought in, more people tuning in etc - and it creates more hype.

I can assure you Dana White as much as he says it annoyed him, is secretly enjoying the fact that he has a controversial figure like Brock on the side creating hysteria and excitement never before seen in UFC and taking it to a whole new level.

The way UFC are growing - they can get bigger sponsors in the future. They are definitely in safe hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

It created a buzz and gave the show even bigger hype in the aftermath. It kept people talking. It pretty much went viral. People who aren't fans even heard about it.

It doesn't make what he did ok. Didn't he get a major bollocking behind the scenes for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

Brilliant main event. I wrote off Nog before the match but he proved me wrong. I thought he was brilliant but the heart Randy showed was unreal. I thought he was out about four times but he held on.

I was dissappointed that Maia didnt get to show us more of his brilliant ground game but that was a lovely punch by Nate.

Overall IMO that was the best Ufc this year.

• Advertisement

MOSSYMONK,

Well that's arguable.

I'm sure he did get a genuine bollicking from Dana at the end of it. But they knew what he was like before they signed him - Brock is a hot headed monster who loses the head quite easily. I even knew that and I never watched that WWF or WWE crap.

My point is that while it may have annoyed people, sponsors etc - yeah that's negative - but more positives came from it such as more interest in the UFC which is what matters (visibility and reach) and more money from PPV in the future. A financial windfall in future events with Brock fighting will continue. The guy can pretty much say what he wants as long as he wins/puts on a show.

More and more people will tune in to watch the "bad guy" lose and it's a win win situation for Budweiser and the UFC. As long as they have Brock, they have an entertainer who is genuine, a little stupid at times but overall a magnificent specimen who can annihilate people. Long may it continue.

Plus, Budweiser will probably gain more from it as well - all the people who hate Brock may buy Budweiser instead of Coors Lite - who knows ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Very good show. I loved Randys submission defense. It was an incredible fight start to finish. I was surprised one judge gave Randy a round though as I felt Nog totally dominated from start to finish.

Fair play to Marquart as well. It was a devastating KO and how he held back from putting an exclamation point on it shouwed class. I must say though I was very dissapinted that the fight was over in a couple of seconds as I was looking forward to what is a great clash in styles. What a punch though!

Awesome sub by Jake Rosholt as well. It looked like Leben tapped before going out cold. I hated seeing him convusling after. Scary shít that.

Great show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Was liking the Clive-choke by Rusholt.

Disapointed with the Maia fight, figured MArquadt would win, but was hoping for another HL reel submission. Not following up with another strike was admirable, but I think Hendo gets too much criticism for the Bisping fight.

enjoyed the main event even though I was up for Randy. At this stage I would be happier to see Randy retire. I dont think his chin is up to elitel level competition any more.

Vera still looks too tentative.

Hard to see where Jardine goes from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 stubell

Great main event! Awesome fight and deserved Fight of The Night.
    2 absolute legends. Randy's submission escapes were crazy!

Would have loved another 2 rounds tho.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

We are still arguing about Brock? Attacking a sponsor wasn’t cool at all and was really ****ing dumb. But a couple of months on what do we know Coors Lite didn’t pull out or even threatened to, UFC 100 did amazing on PPV, UFC 101 did a million PPV buys a feat thought impossible for that type of card six months ago and more TV networks have shown interest as a result of Brock Lesnar generating interest. Like it or not there was no negative ultimately to his actions.
    Amazing isn't it ? Because recently Couture was badmouthing the way Brock had celebrated etc

I think Brock must have accepted the criticism and realised the guy is a bigger legend than he is at the moment and wanted him to win.

Not really, badmouthing is too strong to describe what Randy said. Brock has always thought highly of Randy.

Selective offense is selective

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The Aaron Simpson V Ed Herman was class as well. Herman has some chin on him. He took some huge hits and it did not seem to faze him. Pity it ended the way it did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 stubell

Yeh, great battle but who let him continue on a crocked knee?
    Ridiculous! It had to have destroyed his knee further and will now
    lengthen his recovery big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Mellor wrote: »
    Do you honestly think that 7 seconds showed us anything?
    Yes, it showed us a man hitting another (very big) man, and that man falling over, i.e. being KO'd.
    Mellor wrote: »
    I'd never say somebody has "serious KO power" based on one punch/fight. esp at heavyweight.
    I'd never take issue with someone's comments without doing the slightest bit of research, such as Duffee's MMA record which now stands at 5-0-0 with all wins coming by way of KO or TKO in the first round, except a TKO victory over the very durable Assuerio Silva in the second.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not calling him against Brock or Carwin just yet, but I think he's worth keeping an eye on over his next few fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

stubell wrote: »
    Yeh, great battle but who let him continue on a crocked knee?
    Ridiculous! It had to have destroyed his knee further and will now
    lengthen his recovery big time.

I didnt think he should have continued either. Surely his corner seen him hobbling over like he did. And why did he go for the big kick putting all his weight on the knee? When i watched it in replay you could see his knee pop. I was grimmacing looking at it. Big heart from Herman though he took some big punches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Lord Muck

Brilliant show , i enjoyed every fight. Hightlights for me , marquardt's k.o. of Maia and Randy escaping Nogs choke attempt in round one .Amazing technique and heart shown by Couture to beat that sub attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Ramunas

More amazing sweeps from Nogueira .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Lord Muck wrote: »
    Hightlights for me , marquardt's k.o. of Maia

Not for me...f*cker cost me 950 on a 7 fight accumulator.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

Not for me...f*cker cost me 950 on a 7 fight accumulator.:mad:

Ouch!

Highlight of the night for me, was a main event really living up to the billing (for a change IMO) and truly deserving fight of the night.

Antonio and Handy can be proud of the show they put on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,158 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

t-ha wrote: »
    Yes, it showed us a man hitting another (very big) man, and that man falling over, i.e. being KO'd.
    I know this was said tongue in check, but you could of at least got it right.
    The jab that knocked him down didn't knock him out, it was the big left on the ground that did it:D:D:D
    I'd never take issue with someone's comments without doing the slightest bit of research, such as Duffee's MMA record which now stands at 5-0-0 with all wins coming by way of KO or TKO in the first round, except a TKO victory over the very durable Assuerio Silva in the second.
    I wasn't saying he doesn't show potential and he is obviously one to watch. I'm also aware of his record, but at the same time, i'm only aware of one of his previous opponents. But the fact that this was the first time Hague was stopped has shown some merit.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not calling him against Brock or Carwin just yet, but I think he's worth keeping an eye on over his next few fights.[/QUOTE]
    Well when you said;
    Could pose problems for anyone in the HW div.

I took it to mean Brock, Mir, Nog, Couture, Silvia etc.
    Which I didn't agree with based on just 7 seconds.
    Maybe he could easily, but we need to see either consistant KOs or dominated somebody nearing the top of the HW div. I see now you were refering to the HW in general, and not the top few.
    I'm not putting the guy down, he's on 23 remember. I just think the fight made Hague look bad more so than Duffee look good. (watch it again and see how Hague approached the first jab from Duffee)

Advertisement