Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romanians BOO Madonna

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

Napoli wrote: »
    Not this shít again....

Why do you think people across Europe despise the Roma gypsies? For the craic? They are well-known thieves and are beggars and show no desire to better themselves or gain an education. I feel sorry for their kids who are forced to sit on the pavement begging with their lazy mothers.

Your generalisation amuses me...

Perharps you have to realise that those lazy mothers you refer to would have started their lives as children begging on pavements with their own mothers....A child you saw begging a few years ago would now have given birth to children as well...hence it is a pathetic cycle.

I am a firm believer in giving every human being the opportunity to achieve his/her potentials...I concur with you that there is a historical institutional problem with Romas but if you havent been in their shoes,you cant judge them...I know a few Roma Gypsies that have gone to school and done well for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

marcsignal wrote: »
    Generalisation (may be interpreted as ALL Romanians)

Fixed

Not a Generalisation, however consideration should be given to the long history of bad relations between Romanians & Roma, as someone else has posted.

Perhaps the Romanians have reason to dislike the Roma, reasons that we in the PC west don't fully comprehend.

Oh come on. You judge people based on their actions not their race. Also Romania are now part of this "PC West" in case you've missed it. I don't mean to single out Romania. There have been plenty of attacks on Roma across Europe including in Italy and even on our own island. Perhaps if they weren't burned out of their homes wherever they went they might be able to integrate better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Just to clarify, this is a thread higlighting Madonnas idiocy, and not a Roma bashing fest.
    procure11 wrote: »
    I am a firm believer in giving every human being the opportunity to achieve his/her potentials...
    I agree, but it's difficult to educate a child whos parents wont send him/her to a school, because they're worth more to the family begging.
    I concur with you that there is a historical institutional problem with Romas but if you havent been in their shoes, you cant judge them...
    No problem with their (or anyone elses) 'alternative lifestyle', it's when it infringes on others with negative consequenses we have problems. Finding the right balance is not easy, I'm not going to pretend for a minute that it is.
    I know a few Roma Gypsies that have gone to school and done well for themselves.
    Fair play to them, but you'll find it's very much the exception to the rule.
    Oh come on. You judge people based on their actions not their race. Also Romania are now part of this "PC West" in case you've missed it. I don't mean to single out Romania. There have been plenty of attacks on Roma across Europe including in Italy and even on our own island. Perhaps if they weren't burned out of their homes wherever they went they might be able to integrate better.

Point taken, however we have to ask ourselves, where this 'discrimination' comes from? Does it fall out of the sky to befall the settled communities ?? I think not, and to add to that i feel that groups like Roma and Irish Travellers also, sooner or later, will have to look inwardly for some of the reasons why settled people have bad attitudes towards them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Spose it would be like some self-absorbed 'star', far removed from reality anyway, coming into our country and telling us that we should be treating Travellers better.

Imagine the reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 WhackaMole

"Hello Ireland"

/Waves about Union Jack........

You had to be there...........

• Advertisement

Just to clarify, this is a thread higlighting Madonnas idiocy, and not a Roma bashing fest.

Well yes she is an idiot. But the reaction of the crowd is hardly to their credit.
    Point taken, however we have to ask ourselves, where this 'discrimination' comes from? Does it fall out of the sky to befall the settled communities ?? I think not, and to add to that i feel that groups like Roma and Irish Travellers also, sooner or later, will have to look inwardly for some of the reasons why settled people have bad attitudes towards them.

So were 19th century Irishmen intelectually inferior to other Europeans? Were Jews really trying to take over the world during the 1930's? Just because a lot of people believe something doesn't make it true.

Well yes she is an idiot. But the reaction of the crowd is hardly to their credit.

but understandable imo.

firstly who in the name of jeasus does Madonna think she is? lecturing anyone on their morality (disliking the Roma is bad), when she herself, by her own arrogant actions, is the definition of the polar opposite of moral. You can't deny there was something very very dodgy about her adoptions, no matter how she tries to paint it up.
    So were 19th century Irishmen intelectually inferior to other Europeans? Were Jews really trying to take over the world during the 1930's? Just because a lot of people believe something doesn't make it true.

well the world has moved on from the 19th century and the 1930's, unfortunately the Roma haven't, and still indulge in the same practices that nurtured the same ill feeling towards them then, as now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Her rant about the Roma was at least probably live and not mimed.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

galwayrush wrote: »
    Her rant about the Roma was at least probably live and not mimed.:rolleyes:

YouTube link in.. 3.. 2..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Heh.. Google fed: Madonna Romania youtube

Could she be any more patronizing in tone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I'm completely against discriminating against a person because they belong to a particular group, but at the same time, I can sorta see why so many people around Europe dislike the Roma, since a few families moved into my estate. These particular families seem to beg for a living, their (very young children) are verbally abusive and rude to just about everyone that walks by them, and they have been known to p1ss and sh1t in the streets , I kid you not.
    So, if this behavior is fairly typical of the Roma group, then it's not particualrly surprising that they're not exactly welcomed with open arms, in fairness. That's not to say they should be abused verbally or physically , obviously, but maybe they might should question their behaviour and that of their community, when they complain about being discriminated against.

/My two cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

Acacia wrote: »
    I'm completely against discriminating against a person because they belong to a particular group, but at the same time, I can sorta see why so many people around Europe dislike the Roma, since a few families moved into my estate. These particular families seem to beg for a living, their (very young children) are verbally abusive and rude to just about everyone that walks by them, and they have been known to p1ss and sh1t in the streets , I kid you not.
    So, if this behavior is fairly typical of the Roma group, then it's not particualrly surprising that they're not exactly welcomed with open arms, in fairness. That's not to say they should be abused verbally or physically , obviously, but maybe they might should question their behaviour and that of their community, when they complain about being discriminated against.

/My two cents.

That part where ...their kids are verbally abusive and rude ..**** and piss on streets can equally be attributed to some non-roma kids as well tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It may cheer Madonna up - to know that most of them are living on this island and are fleecing us to the cleaners. or milking us to the blood marrow.
    I haven't decided on a ban or infraction yet.
    This is just a note for tomorrow morning.

Well she is a durty slapper
    Why?

I never really wish death on many people. But why can't see be one of the ones who is on an airplane that goes down. Her an a whole bunch of other celebritiries.
    Flying is safer than driving. Fact.

IF she had a brain cell, she might have asked her PR people to do some research before making such a statement in Romania, particularlly at a gig, considering the majority of Romanians don't look favourably on the Roma (and I wonder why??)
    So tell us why. Having read your posts in this thread, you seem to be an expert.
    Do you work for National Geographic?
    Not only do they not look favourably on the Roma, but are also sick to the back teeth of being confused with them, and lumped into the same category, by people in Western Europe, whose exposure to the Roma as a whole is limited, generally speaking, to the last 15 years or so.
    Really?
    So my friend's brother was just pricking around in Romania when he was building orphanages for charity to help the oh so good Romanian people?
    Are you telling me that he wasted three years of his life over there helping the prosperous Romanians? That the wealthy nation of Romania never needed help with anything?
    That the Romanians never abandoned children to run down buildings?

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I would boo her too.
    Lisa: Hey, I _am_ above average! So what if Alison's ahead of me?
    There's no shame in being second.
    [imagines]
    Announcer: And now, Avis Rent-A-Car is proud to present the second best
    band in America. Will you welcome Garfunkel, Messina, Oates,
    and Lisa singing their number two hit, "Born to Runner-up".
    [Audience boos]
    Lisa: Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?
    -- Because you're number two?, "Lisa's Rival"

Generalisation (may be interpreted as ALL Romanians)

Fixed

Not a Generalisation, however consideration should be given to the long history of bad relations between Romanians & Roma, as someone else has posted.

Perhaps the Romanians have reason to dislike the Roma, reasons that we in the PC west don't fully comprehend.
    Ahh, the PC argument. Yeah, we're all PC if we defend those who have a bad name.
    More later.

Really?
    Your comments say differently.

I agree, but it's difficult to educate a child whos parents wont send him/her to a school, because they're worth more to the family begging.
    I demand evidence that this happens with all Roma families.
    If you cannot provide this by 5pm on Monday, I will ban you from AH for an indeterminate amount of time.

No problem with their (or anyone elses) 'alternative lifestyle', it's when it infringes on others with negative consequenses we have problems. Finding the right balance is not easy, I'm not going to pretend for a minute that it is.
    It's only alternative to you. It's normal for them. As much as not being allowed to drink until you are 21 is normal to Americans, or the age of consent being 16 is normal to most countries in the world, or eating horse meat is normal to most of Western Europe.
    Point taken, however we have to ask ourselves, where this 'discrimination' comes from?
    Idiocy.
    Does it fall out of the sky to befall the settled communities ??
    Probably.
    I think not, and to add to that i feel that groups like Roma and Irish Travellers also, sooner or later, will have to look inwardly for some of the reasons why settled people have bad attitudes towards them.
    Why? Because you don't like them?
    Do you have a genuine reason for not trusting travellers or gypsies?
    I'd like to hear it.
    well the world has moved on from the 19th century and the 1930's, unfortunately the Roma haven't, and still indulge in the same practices that nurtured the same ill feeling towards them then, as now.
    Has it really moved on, or are people like you just saying that it has moved on?

There's still a **** load of ethnic related murders (disguised as war) going on all over the world.
    You only have to look at Israel and Palestine to see that.
    The Jews are ruthlessly bombing the crap out of Palestine (with backing from the Americans) and the Palestinians are ruthlessly suicide bombing Israel (with the backing of most Middle East countries).
    The Chinese are screwing around in Tibet.
    The Americans are screwing around in Africa and the Middle East (have they learned nothing from the failure that was the British empire?).

The only difference between 1939 and 2009 is that i you critcise the actions of others now, you are either labelled a hippie or a murderer.

People still can't see that it's all just black and white. Killing people over land/oil/gas/money/gold/old grudges etc. is wrong. Not killing them is right.

Acacia wrote: »

/My two cents.
    I was in jail (mountjoy (unpaid fines for driving offences)) on Wednesday/Thursday.
    The majority of prisoners were Irish.
    Before being sent to a cell, I was in a holding cell. 29 of the 30 detainees were Irish. I've no idea where the other guy was from. He had no English and I wasn't really in the mood to ask him where he was from.

Two of them were from Dundalk and the others were from Dublin (either transferred from other prisons or in for repeat offences).

Going by those stats and factoring in that I'm from Kildare, roughly 80% of Dublin people are scumbags and are criminals and have done time.

It's amazing how you can find stats like that by just picking a select few.

Terry wrote: »
    So tell us why. Having read your posts in this thread, you seem to be an expert.
    Do you work for National Geographic?
    No I don't work for Nat Geo, but have worked doing research for 4 major media organisations in Europe, specifically researching Social changes/attitudes, racism, immigration, and the limitations of integration policies in the context of cultural needs and religious practices.
    Really?
    So my friend's brother was just pricking around in Romania when he was building orphanages for charity to help the oh so good Romanian people?
    Are you telling me that he wasted three years of his life over there helping the prosperous Romanians? That the wealthy nation of Romania never needed help with anything?
    That the Romanians never abandoned children to run down buildings?
    I'm sure your friends brother wasn't pricking around at all, where did i suggest he was ??? I'm more than familiar with conditions in Romanian orphanages, my brother and his wife were the FIRST couple in Ireland to adopt a Romanian baby in the late 80's. Joanne, my neice later became Leinster swimming champion in her age group 3 years in a row in the late 90's, but wtf do romanian orphanages have to do with Roma Gypsies ?
    Ahh, the PC argument. Yeah, we're all PC if we defend those who have a bad name.
    More later.
    Of course there is a PC element to this, and there is an easy way to determine that fact. Just ask any settled single mother to send her child out begging, and see how long it takes social services to knock on her door. The trials and tribulations of living within the system, as a good citizen. The Roma don't seem to be bound by the same rules, and scream 'racism' or 'discrimination' any time the settled community demand that they do. You see they have that card to play, wherby they essentially have an 'opt out clause' from rules they don't like, the same rules that bind the rest of society together.
    Really?
    Your comments say differently.
    which comments ? you can be specific if you wish
    I demand evidence that this happens with all Roma families...
    you could demand that IF i had said ALL Roma families, but I didn't.

I think you'll find that's called 'Putting words in someones mouth' Terry, but that's a common trait of those that try to defend the indefensible, just for the hell of it on a web forum.
    If you cannot provide this by 5pm on Monday, I will ban you from AH for an indeterminate amount of time..
    walk into any large european city centre area on a weekday, you won't be long seeing the evidence.
    but heres some from Rome

no children in this clip, but you get the general idea. I'm pretty sure most posters have seen similar things in Dublin, I know I have.

It's only alternative to you. It's normal for them. As much as not being allowed to drink until you are 21 is normal to Americans, or the age of consent being 16 is normal to most countries in the world, or eating horse meat is normal to most of Western Europe...
    I would argue that the Roma lifestyle is Alternative to any of the groups you mention above. The groups you mention above, apart from the Roma, are still, generally speaking, bound together by a common value system, that they, by and large, are happy to accept, in order for society to function properly. So the comparison has no corrolation and is therefore irrelevant.
    Idiocy
    I've no doubt idiocy plays its part in many things in the modern world. The fact is, regarding this specific issue, unless the concerns of the majority are addressed, this problem will get worse, and bite us all in the ass 20 years from now. That's why in places like Hungary you have These guys. The Roma are now estimated to make up 26% of the combined population of Romania, Hungary Moldova and Bulgaria. Some other estimates put that at nearly 30%. That is not sustainable in a normal society, least of all one that is in the middle of a recession. The way to avoid the appearance of such groups here, and the groundswell of latent support for them that could follow, is to address the issues at hand now, before emerging hate groups become the reactionary product of an unsustainable mess.
    Probably
    there is no point in addressing that point, because it makes absolutely no sense.
    Why? Because you don't like them?
    Nothing to do with whether i like them or not, but I don't, for the record, and I have good reason.
    Do you have a genuine reason for not trusting travellers or gypsies?
    I'd like to hear it
    James Tallon age 86 Walkinstown Avenue Dublin, cleaned out by Roma beggars who called to his door in July 2006. The woman distracted him while her 2 small children entered the house and stole 700Euro from an upstairs room.
    Austin Kiernan age 92 of Wainsfort Crescent Terenure, who was robbed of his pension book and over 500Euro, in almost exactly the same way, in October 2008, while he was putting out his bins.

Both men are known to me, the first is my uncle, and the second a family friend. On recieving a phone call from his neighbour, I had to race to the house in the first instance, because he had collapsed. If it wasn't for the intervention of 3 Polish lads working in the house next door, they would have gotten away. Fortunately the Police came and the woman was arrested. Not all, of the money was retrieved. So please spare me the bleeding heart bullshit Terry.
    Has it really moved on, or are people like you just saying that it has moved on?
    well i'm prety sure in the context of the 2 examples Sock Puppet gave me (post #37), yes i believe it has.
    There's still a **** load of ethnic related murders (disguised as war) going on all over the world.
    You only have to look at Israel and Palestine to see that.
    The Jews are ruthlessly bombing the crap out of Palestine (with backing from the Americans) and the Palestinians are ruthlessly suicide bombing Israel (with the backing of most Middle East countries).
    The Chinese are screwing around in Tibet.
    The Americans are screwing around in Africa and the Middle East (have they learned nothing from the failure that was the British empire?).

The only difference between 1939 and 2009 is that i you critcise the actions of others now, you are either labelled a hippie or a murderer.

Don't dispute anything you've said there, but these are Geopolitical issues that have no corrolation with some of the reasons some people like or dislike Roma Gypsies.
    People still can't see that it's all just black and white. Killing people over land/oil/gas/money/gold/old grudges etc. is wrong. Not killing them is right.?

where did i mention anything about killing Roma ?? I don't believe i did.

but thats just one example of how people jump to insane conclusions, because they 'choose' to misinterpret what you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'll get back to the rest of this in the morning because I'm drunk and not asred going tit for tat.

I just have one question.
    What's your solution to this percieved problem?

I just have one question.
    What's your solution to this percieved problem?

Solution ? Madonnas mouth should be riveted shut, end of :D

but seriously Terry, the Roma thing is a tough call, and tbh i have no answer, i wish i had an answer that would preserve everyones dignity, but it's out of my league, and i'm no politician. granted i have a gripe about what happened my uncle and the other old man, and i find that hard to deal with.

Sometimes, when I look at these social problems, I think it's like we're sitting on the Titanic, and the people in control are too busy re-arranging the deck chairs to act.

didn't mean any offence with anything i posted, i hope that's a given ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

That part where ...their kids are verbally abusive and rude ..**** and piss on streets can equally be attributed to some non-roma kids as well tbh..

I can't say I completely agree on that. This is all personal/anecdotal evidence of course, but I have to say I've yet to witness very young children (like, four or five years old) effing and blinding, and spitting at, passers-by with absolutely no provocation, from any other ethnic/cultural group.

Older children and teenagers, yes. Children of that age, no.

I should add that the people p1ssing and sh1tting on the street (in full-view of houses and with young children playing close by) were adult women who I'm sure have fully-functioning toilets in their own houses, as they live nearby. And I must say I've never seen non-Roma people doing that, not in my neighborhood anyway.

Of course, your experience may differ to mine, and I must also add that there are another Roma family living in the area who are very quiet, polite, etc. So they can't all be tarred with the same brush, obviously.

I was in jail (mountjoy (unpaid fines for driving offences)) on Wednesday/Thursday.
    The majority of prisoners were Irish.
    Before being sent to a cell, I was in a holding cell. 29 of the 30 detainees were Irish. I've no idea where the other guy was from. He had no English and I wasn't really in the mood to ask him where he was from.

Two of them were from Dundalk and the others were from Dublin (either transferred from other prisons or in for repeat offences).

Going by those stats and factoring in that I'm from Kildare, roughly 80% of Dublin people are scumbags and are criminals and have done time.

It's amazing how you can find stats like that by just picking a select few.

Okay...:confused:

You do realise your example is ridiculously different to my post, don't you? I never once said that all Roma families behaved like the ones in my estate nor did I offer a foolish statistic like "80% of them are bad/ criminals/etc, etc!" In fact, I think my post was quite balanced and I tried to emphasise that nobody should be discriminated against or abused because they belong to a certain group. And I stand by that.

What I was trying to get across is that a number of them do behave in a negative way. From talking to other people I know, a lot of them have had bad experiences with the Roma group. Like marcsignal said, the negative opinions about them do not just fall out of the sky, they emerged from somewhere. Now, does that mean they should be verbally abused? Of course not. Should they burned out of their homes like what happened recently in the North? No, that was an appalling thing to happen and I would be deeply sad and angry if such a thing were to happen down here.

However, the Roma people playing with Madonna might want to take a look at the actions of some of their community when they complain about discrimination ( as wrong as that discrimination is), that's all I'm saying.

I would just like to add that I find it amusing that some of the comments on here would go completely un-noticed were this a thread about ''Irish scumbags''. Far from getting threats of bans/ infractions, I imagine a lot of 'thanks' would be earned. But it's okay to slag off anti-social, poverty-stricken Irish people, because, y'know, they're Irish. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Redzer7 wrote: »
    John: Does She Have A Pulse?
    Doctor: Yeah,
    John: Can You Just Leave The Room For A Minute.

Does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

but understandable imo.

firstly who in the name of jeasus does Madonna think she is? lecturing anyone on their morality (disliking the Roma is bad), when she herself, by her own arrogant actions, is the definition of the polar opposite of moral. You can't deny there was something very very dodgy about her adoptions, no matter how she tries to paint it up.

You're right - the Irish are no longer starving, oppressed and illiterate so nobody gets to criticise us any more! Go us!

If only those wretched Roma could take a leaf out of our book! The Brits and the Yanks totally love us these days!

IF she had a brain cell, she might have asked her PR people to do some research before making such a statement in Romania, particularlly at a gig, considering the majority of Romanians don't look favourably on the Roma (and I wonder why??)

Not only do they not look favourably on the Roma, but are also sick to the back teeth of being confused with them, and lumped into the same category, by people in Western Europe, whose exposure to the Roma as a whole is limited, generally speaking, to the last 15 years or so.

Yes, she should have known better than to condemn racism and homophobia in front of an audience of people who are pretty ok with it

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You're right - the Irish are no longer starving, oppressed and illiterate so nobody gets to criticise us any more! Go us!

If only those wretched Roma could take a leaf out of our book! The Brits and the Yanks totally love us these days!

and your point is ???? The Irish are no longer starving and oppressed because their desire to better themselves enabled them to overcome illiteracy and oppression. They went to all parts of the globe and worked their arses off, with no help from social services, because social services didn't exist.
    They could have happily lived in their own shit their entire lives, but chose not to.
    Yes, she should have known better than to condemn racism and homophobia in front of an audience of people who are pretty ok with it

Why do you think they're 'ok' with it ?? personally I think she lumped in accusations of Homophobia to put a bit of iron in the glove for the consumption of western media, because in my experience, Romanians have far less a problem with Homosexuality than they have with the Roma. I'd even go far enough to say that Homophobia in Romania is no worse, per capita, than it is in Ireland. In fact, if you can produce evidence to the contrary i'd like to see it. If Madonna's looking for evidence of Homophobia in Romania, she should look no further than the attitudes of young men in the Roma community itself, that's the real irony here.

If she feels that strongly, patronising people and lecturing them on their 'immorality' it's a shame the leathery old has-been isn't equally passionate about not bribing government officials, for the purposes of stealing children then, isn't it ??

late edit*

It seems things are just getting worse and worse with this woman. She's now in the firing line with a senior Rabbi from a yashiva in Jerusalem over her peddling of the Kabahal to adoring fans.
    By all accounts the Material Girls lifestyle is completely contrary to the teachings of the Zohan. :rolleyes: :D

story here
    http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Judaism/2004/06/Madonna-Vs-Rabbi-Shmuley.aspx

what an utter PLONKER !!!

and your point is ???? The Irish are no longer starving and oppressed because their desire to better themselves enabled them to overcome illiteracy and oppression. They went to all parts of the globe and worked their arses off, with no help from social services, because social services didn't exist.
    They could have happily lived in their own shit their entire lives, but chose not to.

Why do you think they're 'ok' with it ?? personally I think she lumped in accusations of Homophobia to put a bit of iron in the glove for the consumption of western media, because in my experience, Romanians have far less a problem with Homosexuality than they have with the Roma. I'd even go far enough to say that Homophobia in Romania is no worse, per capita, than it is in Ireland. In fact, if you can produce evidence to the contrary i'd like to see it. If Madonna's looking for evidence of Homophobia in Romania, she should look no further than the attitudes of young men in the Roma community itself, that's the real irony here.

If she feels that strongly, patronising people and lecturing them on their 'immorality' it's a shame the leathery old has-been isn't equally passionate about not bribing government officials, for the purposes of stealing children then, isn't it ??

late edit*

It seems things are just getting worse and worse with this woman. She's now in the firing line with a senior Rabbi from a yashiva in Jerusalem over her peddling of the Kabahal to adoring fans.
    By all accounts the Material Girls lifestyle is completely contrary to the teachings of the Zohan. :rolleyes: :D

story here
    http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Judaism/2004/06/Madonna-Vs-Rabbi-Shmuley.aspx

what an utter PLONKER !!!

I can't believe I'm sticking up for Madonna of all people here - I find her a pretty repellent species of human (without even looking at the state of her arms), and the "celebrity Kabballah cult" thing is just cringeworthy ****, but surely you must realise the context in which those remarks were made?

1 - the comments on homophobia were presumably there because 99% of her male fans are more interested in the frock she's wearing than how well she looks in it, and they would most certainly have been present in spades at this concert

2 - how on earth is condemning racism ever wrong? i notice from your sig that you post over on the world war two trivia board... here's a great bit of trivia; the Roma lost more proportionally more of their people than any other ethnic minority targeted in Hitler's Holocaust... Although I suspect from what you have written in this thread that your interest in "history" begins and ends with a few books on Panzers and Blitzkrieg...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I'm confused by this thread and can't watch the youtube link.

Was Madonna encouraging the Roma to beg, steal etc or was she saying that people should not discriminate against them (and homosexuals) as an entire group?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

and your point is ????

Quite true, I was shocked to see a former pupil of mine act in such a manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Buh, doesnt matter where she was Romania or elsewhere. People go to concerts to hear music not be ranted at.

I have to reitterate, that I started this thread because I think Madonna is a cretin, and for that reason alone.
    Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    I'm confused by this thread and can't watch the youtube link.

Was Madonna encouraging the Roma to beg, steal etc or was she saying that people should not discriminate against them (and homosexuals) as an entire group?

She, in a very patronising way, lectured the crowd about the negative attitudes some Romanians have towards the Roma, and to add insult to injury, wrongfully had a go at them for 'supposedly' all being eastern European Homophobes into the bargain. Understandably, despite the denials of her spokesperson, her remarks went down like the Hindenburg.
    I can't believe I'm sticking up for Madonna of all people here - I find her a pretty repellent species of human (without even looking at the state of her arms), and the "celebrity Kabballah cult" thing is just cringeworthy ****, but surely you must realise the context in which those remarks were made?

The context is totally irrelevant if you ask me. If we MUST be blighted with this washed up auld fanny, she should STFU and just mime her shite pop songs. If she insists on even just doing the 'pop star' thing, then why can't she emmulate someone like Kurt Cobain by putting both barrels of a shotgun in her gob and pulling the trigger ? Having said that, even if she did so, theres still a serious risk she'd miss her fcukin brain by a mile.:pac:
    1 - the comments on homophobia were presumably there because 99% of her male fans are more interested in the frock she's wearing than how well she looks in it, and they would most certainly have been present in spades at this concert

So why didn't she direct her remarks on Homophobia at her entourage of Roma musicians, instead of the audience? considering, proportionally, that most of the Homophobia in Romania emminates from young males in the Roma community. I wonder if you can guess why ??
    2 - how on earth is condemning racism ever wrong?

Nothing wrong with condemning Racism at all, but she should put her money where her enormous incontinent mouth is, by doing a gig in somewhere like Zimbabwe, try the same stunt there, and see how well it goes down. By suggesting that, I'm assuming of course, that you, and Madonna, are more than aware that not all racism is 'White on SIZE="1"]insert ethnic minority here[/SIZE' but can just as easily be a two sided blade.
    i notice from your sig that you post over on the world war two trivia board... here's a great bit of trivia; the Roma lost more proportionally more of their people than any other ethnic minority targeted in Hitler's Holocaust......

More than aware of that, but were you aware that the reason the Roma were targeted in the first place, was not for racial/biological reasons, but because they were simply considered Anti-Social and refused, by and large, to integrate into society. It might also surprise you to know that, not a large amount, but some Gypsies served in the Wehrmacht and Kriegsmarine ?? and were given special consessions for this fact ?
    Although I suspect from what you have written in this thread that your interest in "history" begins and ends with a few books on Panzers and Blitzkrieg...

At 42 years of age, and having worked as a tour guide in a Nazi Concentration Camp, nothing could be further from the truth. Without blowing smoke up my own arse, my knowledge of WW2 is more than adequate. If you, or any other reader/poster here, would like to discuss the Holocaust with me in any kind of logistical detail, we can do it here. I've written a pretty long post about certain aspects of it, and will be happy to stand over, and debate, everything i've written in it.:cool:

Just for the record [cm]tyranny, i've posted nothing here with a view to having a go at you personally. As long as that's unserstood.
    TheZohan wrote: »
    Quite true, I was shocked to see a former pupil of mine act in such a manner.
    LOL!! :D

More than aware of that, but were you aware that the reason the Roma were targeted in the first place, was not for racial/biological reasons, but because they were simply considered Anti-Social and refused, by and large, to integrate into society. It might also surprise you to know that, not a large amount, but some Gypsies served in the Wehrmacht and Kriegsmarine ?? and were given special consessions for this fact ?

While your knowledge of the Holocaust may be much greater than any of us, you're being extemely disingenuous with that statement. Even the biggest idiot can give you a more logical sounding reason for hating a group other than "Uhhh....... cuz he's black/white". What you seem to be suggesting is that the Roma weren't discriminated against and that it was partly their fault they were targetted for extermination. I suppose if the Jews hadn't been conspiring to take over the world they might have escaped persecution too.

While your knowledge of the Holocaust may be much greater than any of us, you're being extemely disingenuous with that statement.

I'm not being disingenuous, i'm simply trying to explain how the Nazi mindset worked.
    Even the biggest idiot can give you a more logical sounding reason for hating a group other than "Uhhh....... cuz he's black/white".

Nazi Germany was not a logical country, they would, if they strictly followed their own ideology to the letter, have had to kill everyone in the world bar half their own population for their plan to work.
    What you seem to be suggesting is that the Roma weren't discriminated against and that it was partly their fault they were targetted for extermination.

I never suggested the Roma wern't discriminated against. I was making the point that they were persecuted for a different reason than the Jews were. They simply drew attention to themselves by indulging in Anti Social behaviour, and refused to contribute and integrate into society. It wasn't a racial issue, per say. Drawing negative attention to yourself is unwise in any totalitarian regime. Nazi Germany was full of 'Yes Men', all the 'No Men' were put up against the wall.

The Nazis had no policy/mandate to exterminate black people for example. They didn't consider them racially equal, but they were, broadly speaking allowed to continue living in Germany, and black people affiliated to the Afrika Show (a cultural exhibition) lived unmolested in Germany right until the end of the war.
    I suppose if the Jews hadn't been conspiring to take over the world they might have escaped persecution too.

The Nazis didn't invent Anti Semitism, they simply cashed in on Anti Semetic feeling that had existed in Europe for hundreds of years. They used the excuse that Jews were stealing all the positions as Doctors and Lawyers, and Directors/Producers in the entertainment industry at the time, and believe it or not, the large concentration of Jews in these professions was a fact. The problem was, that the Nazis never explained to the German people the reason why this was the case. It was because Anti Semetic laws in Europe dating back hundreds of years had banned Jews from many other professions, and consequently, Jews made up the groundswell of vacancies in the professions they were allowed to work in. They were also considered a political threat, and actual enemies of the state, with a mandate to undermine the country.

Having said all of that, you have to try to think of all this in the context of, and in the mindset of a badly educated person in 1930.

To be honest, we are seriously drifting off topic here, and this thread is not the place to discuss this particular subject. If you want to start an reasonable and honest thread on it Here? I'll discuss it with you all night if you wish ??

or if you're interested here are 6 links to 'The Nazis, a Warning from History' you can watch on google detailing what i've just tried to explain, just click away.

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=5546778532313899424
    http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=8883730175737731665
    http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-6778179221790586043
    http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-3293868023770465271
    http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-632516106519703925
    http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=3332021535787522434

• Advertisement

Iolar wrote: »
    Can i ask tyranny have you travelled to Rumania,Hungary,Slovakia,Bulgaria etc where there is a high percentage of Roma population and engaged with the local people both Roma and non Roma?

Of all of those places I was only ever in Romania and Hungary, but I spent much longer in Romania than I spent in Hungary, and while I was travelling as a guest of Romanians I did engage with a good few Roma (we were in the northern Moldavian border region for much of our trip there so there were certainly proportionally more of them there than I saw in Bucharest)

:)

Advertisement