Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romanians BOO Madonna

Options
  • 28-08-2009 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭

It would seem that Celebrity People Trafficker and Moron "Madonna" is confusing Roma and Romanians, by trying to do a 'Bono' on it, sticking her oar into things she will never understand from behind her electric gates :rolleyes:

This has just made my day LOL!! :D
    Madonna was booed by thousands of fans at a concert in Romania after condemning discrimination against Gypsies.

The pop star was accompanied on stage at the Bucharest park by Roma musicians and a dancer who were initially welcomed with enthusiastic applause. But the crowd turned on the singer when she paused during the two-hour show on Wednesday night to speak out against prejudice suffered by Roma people.

"It has been brought to my attention...that there is a lot of discrimination against Romanies and Gypsies in general in eastern Europe," she said. "It made me feel very sad."

Boos and jeers resounded from the 60,000 strong crowd. Some applauded when she added: "We don't believe in discrimination … we believe in freedom and equal rights for everyone." But there were more boos when she mentioned discrimination against gay people.

The singer ignored the hostile reception to her comments and continued with the concert. Her publicist, Liz Rosenberg, said there were cheers as well as jeers, according to Madonna.

"Madonna has been touring with a phenomenal troupe of Roma musicians who made her aware of the discrimination toward them in several countries so she felt compelled to make a brief statement," said Rosenberg. "She will not be issuing a further statement."

Romania has the largest number of Roma people in the region. Official data puts the figure at 500,000 but some believe the actual number is as high as 2 million.

Human rights advocates say the Roma, who live predominately in southern and eastern Europe, probably suffer more humiliation and endure more discrimination than any other group on the continent.

While many east Europeans are enthusiastic about Gypsy music and dance, one in two of Europe's estimated 12 million Roma claim to have suffered an act of discrimination in the past year, according to an EU report.

In May 2007, Romania's president, Traian Basescu, apologised after he was heard calling a Romanian journalist a "stinky Gypsy" during a conversation with his wife.

In neighbouring Hungary, six Roma have been killed and several wounded in a recent series of apparently racially motivated attacks.

full article here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/aug/28/madonna-booed-at-romania-concert

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Well she is a durty slapper

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

It may cheer Madonna up - to know that most of them are living on this island and are fleecing us to the cleaners. or milking us to the blood marrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Eww, look at her arms

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

This from the same woman who tried to block people from walking near her multi-acre estate in England.

I am sure that she would love to have a few dozen of them camping near by.

H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-T-E B-I-T-C-H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I never really wish death on many people. But why can't see be one of the ones who is on an airplane that goes down. Her an a whole bunch of other celebritiries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

Eww, look at her arms

Yeah! First thing I saw when I looked at the article. They are GNARLY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

She's shit, she mimes and steals African children :D

Good on the Romanians

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

I never really wish death on many people. But why can't see be one of the ones who is on an airplane that goes down. Her an a whole bunch of other celebritiries.

maybe we could have a whip around and charter a dodgy old DC10 for them, and fly it over an active volcano :pac:

pile them all in, Madonna, Bono, Kerry Katona, Louis Walsh, Ronan Keating, the entire cast of Friends and Sex and the City.....the list goes on.

now that would be TV worth watching :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Something amiss with them Romanians alright, plenty of fascist types knocking about for the game with Saint Patricks Athletic in the RDS last night too (If you look on YouTube the Bucharest ultras described their local rivals as a bunch of 'gypsys and jews')

I like how racism and fascism have spread so rapidly throughout countries that suffered so much at the hands of xenophobic mentalists in the 30s and 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

marcsignal wrote: »
    It would seem that Celebrity People Trafficker and Moron "Madonna" is confusing Roma and Romanians, by trying to do a 'Bono' on it, sticking her oar into things she will never understand from behind her electric gates :rolleyes:

How did you work that out? She was speaking out against discrimination of a people that is (one of) the biggest "minority" group in Eastern Europe. She was in Romania...
    For once in her life, she was right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

:eek:
    what about her purchases kids from Africa

Karoma wrote: »
    How did you work that out? She was speaking out against discrimination of a people that is (one of) the biggest "minority" group in Eastern Europe. She was in Romania...
    For once in her life, she was right.

IF she had a brain cell, she might have asked her PR people to do some research before making such a statement in Romania, particularlly at a gig, considering the majority of Romanians don't look favourably on the Roma (and I wonder why??)

Not only do they not look favourably on the Roma, but are also sick to the back teeth of being confused with them, and lumped into the same category, by people in Western Europe, whose exposure to the Roma as a whole is limited, generally speaking, to the last 15 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

IF she had a brain cell, she might have asked her PR people to do some research before making such a statement in Romania, particularlly at a gig, considering the majority of Romanians don't look favourably on the Roma (and I wonder why??)

Maybe the Romanians still look wistfully back to the days when they and their Nazi chums tried to exterminate the Roma people.
    brummytom wrote: »
    She's shit, she mimes and steals African children :D

Good on the Romanians

Yes good on those homophobic, racist Romanians.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Not only do they not look favourably on the Roma, but are also sick to the back teeth of being confused with them, and lumped into the same category, by people in Western Europe, whose exposure to the Roma as a whole is limited, generally speaking, to the last 15 years or so.

She didn't "confuse" Romanians with the Roma. You're closer to doing it than her. You still can't explain the supposed confusion on her part, eh?
    She spoke out against discrimination in one of the countries that probably hates that minority the most?
    I'm thinking:
    Fair ****s to her.
    or
    Maybe she's just one of the best ever real-life trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Talk about opening your mouth to put your foot in it.
    To Rroma people the term gyspy is a racist term just like chink, paddy, nígger ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,023 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

She's just a worn-out leathery old slapper who looks like Hannibal Lecter's been munching on her pepperoni arms.

She'll probably buy Romania and evict the hecklers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

If she is so concerned then why doesnt she adopt them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

/Books tickets for next Madonna concert in Romania

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Napoli

Not this shít again....

Why do you think people across Europe despise the Roma gypsies? For the craic? They are well-known thieves and are beggars and show no desire to better themselves or gain an education. I feel sorry for their kids who are forced to sit on the pavement begging with their lazy mothers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I would boo her too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

John: Does She Have A Pulse?
    Doctor: Yeah,
    John: Can You Just Leave The Room For A Minute.

I'd Still Do Her :D:pac:.

Anyone Agree? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Something amiss with them Romanians alright, plenty of fascist types knocking about for the game with Saint Patricks Athletic in the RDS last night too (If you look on YouTube the Bucharest ultras described their local rivals as a bunch of 'gypsys and jews')

I like how racism and fascism have spread so rapidly throughout countries that suffered so much at the hands of xenophobic mentalists in the 30s and 40s.

Know your history, it was ALWAYS there. People tend to think that Germans invented descrimination of Jews and Gypsies, but countries like Poland and surrounding areas had a right old sing song treating them like muck in the late 1800's - early 1900's, the rise of Fascism was just the icing on a cake that had been baking for 100's of years..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

UP with this sort of thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

how would we feel if she has started rabbiting on about tinkers when she played at slane a few years back

way to go sock puppet, DEFINITELY no blanket generalisation there anyway:pac:
    She didn't "confuse" Romanians with the Roma. You're closer to doing it than her.

having spent 2 years living with a Romanian family, I'm further from doing it than you'll ever know, as it happens;)
    You still can't explain the supposed confusion on her part, eh?.

Well i'm guessing that 'Saint' Madonna figured she would be making a poignant point about the plight of the Roma, by enlightning the population of a country like Romania, where so many of them reside. The fact is she couldn't have fucked up more badly, and if she'd pulled her head out of her own arse for a moment, and read something about Romainians and their attitude to the Roma, she wouldn't have.

Perhaps she thought the Romanians were as malleable as the Malawian officials she charmed* when she adopted** those children ???

*may mean bribed
    **may mean stole
    Maybe she's just one of the best ever real-life trolls.

she's a real life something anyway, gobshite is the word i would have chosen tho..
    Sharrow wrote: »
    Talk about opening your mouth to put your foot in it.
    To Rroma people the term gyspy is a racist term just like chink, paddy, nígger ect.

There's more than enough room in there for a whole shoe shop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

way to go sock puppet, DEFINITELY no blanket generalisation there anyway:pac:

Where have I generalised. The concert was in Romania. It's hardly going to be full of Mexicans is it? Some of the crowd booed when she brought up discrimination against Roma and gays, making them racist, homophobic or both. I didn't mean the whole nation of Romania.

Generalisation (may be interpreted as ALL Romanians)

Fixed
    Yes good on those homophobic, racist Romanians* who booed her at that particular concert

Not a Generalisation, however consideration should be given to the long history of bad relations between Romanians & Roma, as someone else has posted.

Perhaps the Romanians have reason to dislike the Roma, reasons that we in the PC west don't fully comprehend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Riddle101

She really should have researched what she was talking about before she spoke out. I think it's safe to say that because she was singing with Roma musicians they proberly influenced her into thinking that they were victims of discrimination so she assumed she was fighting for something good by doing it.

• Advertisement

Riddle101 wrote: »
    She really should have researched what she was talking about before she spoke out. I think it's safe to say that because she was singing with Roma musicians they proberly influenced her into thinking that they were victims of discrimination so she assumed she was fighting for something good by doing it.

+1

my point exactly Riddle101 ;)

Advertisement