Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cage Contender (lightweight)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Tom Maguire has been forced to withdraw from Cage Contender due to injury (2 x slipped discs). We wish Tom a speedy recovery

The replacement fighter is Hovik Zakarain who will be joining us from Paris, France

John & Mark
    www.fight.ie

Hi Folks

We are please to announce that there will be a full range of "Serious Pimp" fight & fashion gear for sale at Cage Contender (www.fight.ie have now agreed the sole Irish rights for the "Serious Pimp" brand). Anyone wanting to see the range can view it at www.seriouspimpuk.com.
    The brand will be available on www.fight.ie within a few weeks.

Also Complete Gyms will have a full shop on the night for suppliments, Gym equiptment, training aids etc

The latest fight card is now on www.fight.ie have a look and let us know what you think. Let us know who you think has the best chance of winning!!!!

Cheers

John & Mark
    www.fight.ie
    Cage Contender 14th Nov 2009, Clarion Hotel, Carrickfergus

Mrs Lynch wrote: »
    Thanks a million for the support I am really lookin forward to the show:)

Hope all goes well with the final preps and u dont start losing hair like the rest of the promotions in NI like Mr P, Mr Cassidy, Mr McCabe, Mr Rossborough, Mr Mooney....... all bald lol:P

Mrs Lynch
    xxx

I hope the baldness stays away!!! Mark has just told me that as i am carrying a few xtra pounds, if i go bald i will look like Matt Lucas, not a good look??:eek:

John
    www.fight.ie
    Cage Contender 14th Nov 2009, Clarion Hotel, Carrickfergus

ollieo wrote: »
    Are there any videos of this show?

This show will be covered on the P4TV Sports Network www.p4tv.com

John
    www.fight.ie
    Cage Contender, 14th Nov 2009, Clarion Hotel, Carrickfergus

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

fightie wrote: »
    The 6th and final entry is in for Cage Contender....

We are please to announce the last entrant is Thomas Maguire Spirit MMA/SBG

The full list is:

Martin Begley,
    Antrim MMA

Dominic Mc Connell
    Strabane Fight Team

Gary Morris
    Team Ryano

Tom Maguire
    Spirit MMA/SBG

Brian Breslin
    Tallagh, Dublin

Jason Gailbraith
    Savage Fight Team

The card with bio etc will be updated on www.fight.ie soon

Tickets are selling well and can be got from Ticketmaster or any fighter on the show

John & Mark
    www.fight.ie

This is destined to be a great night of fights.

Absolutely great line-up for the tournament and will most definitely boost the standing of the winner on the irish circuit.

• Advertisement

Chewabacca wrote: »
    This is destined to be a great night of fights.

Absolutely great line-up for the tournament and will most definitely boost the standing of the winner on the irish circuit.

I totally agree!!!:D there have been a couple of small changes on the card www.fight.ie for details (link to fight card at the bottom)

J & M

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

this card is fantastic!

da-bres wrote: »
    this card is fantastic!

I totally agree!!!

The undercard has been updated at www.fight.ie

Cheers

John
    www.fight.ie

fightie wrote: »
    This show will be covered on the P4TV Sports Network www.p4tv.com

John
    www.fight.ie

Hi Folks

As mentioned above Cage Contender will be covered on the P4TV Sports Network. We can now announce that our presenter will be Stuart McQuitty (last seen on tv3 Total Xposure) and our expert commentator will be Barry Oglesby (Roper)... We now confirm that after a lot of work behind the scenes the show is also being filmed as a pilot for a satellite TV station, with this in mind we urge you to come and support your local fighters. (it might also be a good time for fighters to get a bit of sponsorship!!)

Any fans with banners/flags for their fighters please feel free to bring them along on the night. There are 950 tickets on sale with over 70% sold to date..

Cheers

John & Mark
    www.fight.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IFS.NI

Really looking forward to this, i know the hard work John and the team have put into the show and the lengths they have gone to, to help the quality of Irish MMA!

John will confirm tickets soon, theres prob 10 at least coming up - will give you a buzz mate early next week.

All the best mate, catch up with you soon,

Cheers

Paul

• Advertisement

Cheers Paul

Can u let me know if you need cageside or general admin??

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

Tickets arrived from ticketmaster today, thankfully, I was getting worried with the old postal strikes in the north

Hi Folks

Cage Contender is this coming saturday, the final fight card and weigh in times etc are now on www.fight.ie......

As i said before this is being recorded for a TV pilot show, so come along and support your fighters

Anyone coming i will see u there:) and anyone whos not is missing out! :D

John
    www.fight.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Richie_Gorey

Anyone home from this yet with results?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

I didnt see much of the fights cos i was busy warming up our fighter but i do know the outcome of the tourny.
    2 people pulled yesterday so it was a 4 man tonite.
    Gary Morris drew the french lad and won a split des in the opening semi-final.
    Martin Begley drew Jonny McGillion and won by TKO(Gnp) within the first minute round one.
    So Begley faced Morris in the final. Begley bt Morris by TKO(Gnp) in the dying seconds of round one.
    I think that Mervyn Mullholand won his bout with the guy from Top Pro Kilkenny. Dunno how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mmmm..not sure

Heard it was a great show boys well done

Does any1 know why the 2 boys pulled out last minute?

As far as i know Galbraith pulled out for personal family reasons. Im not gonna say what but i can understand why. Breslin just simply didnt turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IFS.NI

Great night, very well run, crowd was fantastic and supportive, fights were excellent!

Very well done to Martin Begley, great fighter.....well deserved!

One thing though were where the rings girls lol :)

I know dominic mc connell had to lose 7kgs did not make the weight or why was he replaced by johnny mc gillion?

I belive Dom is no longer part of the Strabane fight team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I heard that too.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Does anyone know why he has left? No disrespect to anyone else on Strabane fight team but any event in strabane dominic was the main draw for supporters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

It was a great night with some fantastic fights. Really well organised. I'm going to the next one for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Does anyone know why he has left? No disrespect to anyone else on Strabane fight team but any event in strabane dominic was the main draw for supporters
    Why would anyone discuss that on an open forum? And indeed why would you want to know?

Thanks to John for the night. Hope I didn't screw up the commentary too badly.

I tipped Martin for this one at the start of the night but he was more dominant than I thought he'd be. He went through McGillion and Morris who to be fair to them don't normally fight at that weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭angeldance

Great show, I really enjoyed it. Fighters done really well, and the atmosphere was great. Really enjoyed the fact I got to put a face to some of the ones on here too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

Thanks to John and Mark for the weekend, looked after everybody very very well and made sure we had anything we needed...Well done to Marty on winning the tournie, definitely deserved to win it on the night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I didnt see much of the fights cos i was busy warming up our fighter but i do know the outcome of the tourny.
    2 people pulled yesterday so it was a 4 man tonite.
    Gary Morris drew the french lad and won a split des in the opening semi-final.
    Martin Begley drew Jonny McGillion and won by TKO(Gnp) within the first minute round one.
    So Begley faced Morris in the final. Begley bt Morris by TKO(Gnp) in the dying seconds of round one.
    I think that Mervyn Mullholand won his bout with the guy from Top Pro Kilkenny. Dunno how.
    He won by Triangle against Adam

Hi Folks

We would like to take the time to say a massive thanks to everyone who helped us with the show both in the run up and on the night, fighters, officials and fans were all great. As there are so many to name i will not try incase i miss anyone out smile.gif......

The show was sold out and there were some cracking fights.... All feed back has been good so far.

Our congratulations go to the new Cage Contender(Lightweight) champion Martin "The Heat" Begley.

All results will be on tomorrow

The next Cage Contender will be on SAT 6th FEB 2010 and will be fought at featherweight with a full undercard..... Any clubs who have fighters available for that show let us know.

Thanks again everyone!!!!!!

John & Mark
    www.fight.ie

Roper wrote: »
    Why would anyone discuss that on an open forum? And indeed why would you want to know?

I actually wanted to know if he had moved to another club or was setting up his own club as that would be a good achievement for a fighter with plenty of potential

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 EMC_SFT

I thought it was a great night, well organised great venue. My fight went to decision and i was beat but enjoyd the fight,andrew falconer fought hard and it was very tight but well done to him and i look forward to meeting him again.
    im gona torture cassidy and hopefully yous wil let me back for your nxt show.

the 4 man contest was brilliant, the other 3 are great fighters but i dont think any1 was gona stop begley on the nite and well done to him.

thanks for havin me
    icon14.gif

Advertisement