Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity College Airsoft Club/Society

Options
  • 26-08-2009 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

I am coming into TCD this year and am wondering if it is worth my while starting an airsoft club? I am looking to see what kind of numbers are interested. If you are interested or just curious please post a comment and vote in the pole.

Interested in TCD airsoft club? 18 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 18 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Not an Airsoft advert

moved to main forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

Was one started in DIT last year, but it never really got off the ground.
    A load of people joined, but the commitment just wasn't there.
    Best of luck though, hopefully goes better for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Soberts

lperrozzi wrote: »
    Was one started in DIT last year, but it never really got off the ground.
    A load of people joined, but the commitment just wasn't there.
    Best of luck though, hopefully goes better for you!
    I was lookin at that DIT airsoft club when I was deciding on colleges. Im not sure that there will be enough people to even start thinking about setting a club up. This summer a whole load of new sites opened up which are in South Dubiln so traveling shouldnt be a problem. The only thing is that they are open weekends only and I will have hockey matches on most weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

Hmm, well im starting in DIT next month so i might be "pro-active" and see if i something will get going. Might even lead to an inter college league someday

Craigsy wrote: »
    Hmm, well im starting in DIT next month so i might be "pro-active" and see if i something will get going. Might even lead to an inter college league someday
    That would be AWESOME an inter college league!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

I'm going into first year in Trinity this year too, so would definitely be interested. Even if it isn't something official at all, any opportunity to meet new players of a similar age is much welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

There is an Airsoft society for Airsoft being setup in TCD this coming term. The organiser was in contact with me a few month backs and they are taking it seriously and making a big push for it.

They should have a stall there at signup week. The big delay was they wanted a separate budget to paintball and I'm not sure on success yet.

I would hazard a guess that there is a college league or something similar being arranged for the coming year, be it through airsoft people, or the colleges themselves. I know my college, NCI, got great praise for beating DCU, and the Student Body are pushing NCI to be at the forefront of creating an inter college league.

Atleast thats what I gather from the whole thing. I would do it myself but I'm going into my final year, although I WILL be present and playing on any airsoft college team, cause I love that ****.

I'd say wait till you actually get into college, and see what the story is.

And no offence to you, but organising and running a society is serous effort, Dex can give input on this aswell as myself. It requires alot of manpower and hours and time and effort. With little reward most of the time. I started up the golf society in my college that has reached dizzy heights of success, but no one even remembers I helped set it up.

Also a new student society will find it hard to acquire the proper budget allocation. Budgets go to those in big sports like GAA,rugby, hurling and soccer, or those that consistently prove themselves successful.

A fresh new society or club will struggle for adequate budgeting. And also if it was setup by A first year or GROUPS of first years, the society from word go already has a large mountain to climb, being your a new student and faith may not be placed your way.

Have a chat with your Student Union body when you get into college and see what is what, if it is already on the cards by someone longer in the college do yourself a favour and let them take the brunt of the work. If your a capable airsofter you might make captain or first string, at the end of the day that should be all that matters.

Dealing with colleges in most matters except handing them their money is a pain in the ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

I'll be interested to see what the Airsoft Soc in DCU is like next month, meant to be half decent.

I'll be interested to see what the Airsoft Soc in DCU is like next month, meant to be half decent.

I'll refrain from any smack talk..for now...

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

I am taking over the society from Crave in Carlow IT this year, from past experiences getting numbers is never an issue, the issue is commitment, last year we had the highest sign up of any of the teams/societies but we only got out on one skirmish. Because either myself or Crave were too busy(Crave esp. as it was his final year)

I would love to set up even a couple of games between the colleges this year. Of course I have great ideas now. . .

• Advertisement

Lukekul wrote: »
    I am taking over the society from Crave in Carlow IT this year, from past experiences getting numbers is never an issue, the issue is commitment, last year we had the highest sign up of any of the teams/societies but we only got out on one skirmish. Because either myself or Crave were too busy(Crave esp. as it was his final year)

I would love to set up even a couple of games between the colleges this year. Of course I have great ideas now. . .
    If the colleges see how successful and entertaining the inter college games are then people might make more of an effort to show up for the skirmishes

Another problem colleges suffer is everyone goes home at weekends, so for these matches we would want to get a site to open on on a weekday, not a major problem i would imagine but no harm to get these things out there if we are to have these games :D

Another problem colleges suffer is everyone goes home at weekends, so for these matches we would want to get a site to open on on a weekday, not a major problem i would imagine but no harm to get these things out there if we are to have these games :D
    I know that Fingal airsoft is open on Wednesday nights with appointment, they also do night games durin the week, their new zombie game looks awesome. The Warehouse is open all week round, it is also indoors therefor not subject to weather conditions, a bit on the expensive side though

Soberts wrote: »
    I know that Fingal airsoft is open on Wednesday nights with appointment, they also do night games durin the week, their new zombie game looks awesome. The Warehouse is open all week round, it is also indoors therefor not subject to weather conditions, a bit on the expensive side though

I don't want to rule out anything but the majority of sign ups are brand new to the sport so even an outdoor site is €45 for a full day + rentals, then there's the bus from Carlow, a bag of BB's and food for the day. It fairly adds up, especially when you remember these are students :D.

Zombies = Brilliant btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'll refrain from any smack talk..for now...

:P

May aswell get it in now luve, while you have the chance;)

I don't want to rule out anything but the majority of sign ups are brand new to the sport so even an outdoor site is €45 for a full day + rentals, then there's the bus from Carlow, a bag of BB's and food for the day. It fairly adds up, especially when you remember these are students :D.

Zombies = Brilliant btw
    I agree it is expensive if you do not own your own equipment. From your experience, how many of the sign-ups had their own equipment? The zombie masks they have are EPIC so convincing!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If there isnt a UCD one chances are I'm gonna set one up:) Intervarsity league here we come.

Don't quote me on this but I'd say maybe 20% but I could be wrong, We were very busy signing people up. We had Tony from Eirsoft there and I know that several people I know myself Bought their first guns after talking to him.

If there isnt a UCD one chances are I'm gonna set one up:) Intervarsity league here we come.
    Simon? If it is, you probably wont remember me, we met at young guns day in Fingal a while ago!

I was talking to a friend at UCD, he says there's none so it looks like it's up to you man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭desertstorm

Being in Trinity at the moment, all I can say is if they managed to get funding from DUCAC, fair play to them! My friends tried settnig up a sports club, but were told no funding was being given out due to the budget they had

Looking forward to see what they've got mustered together...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Soberts wrote: »
    Simon? If it is, you probably wont remember me, we met at young guns day in Fingal a while ago!

I probably would recognize your face, there arent that many YGs out there. Can never match usernames to faces though.

You also need to distinct wether or not you want to setup an airsoft club or an airsoft team society.

You ideally want to get people who play the game and have their own equipment if you are going to play inter college matches.

If you are wanting huge numbers and go on massive days out, good luck .Most sites ( besides the warehouse) do not have the equipment or facilities to accommodate a large portion of rentals, plus there would be **** all genuine interest in an inter varsity league if it was just rentals or new players.

Most sites would be willing to open on one of their closed days if you could guarantee numbers. Get in touch with another college and you could easily put together 60-80 players. Again the sites cant accomodate this, but site owners would welcome that sort of business, but then again, wont be able t oaccomodate the amount of rentals required.

That is why paintball societies thrive more, paintball lives and breathes of renting equipment and selling ammo, airsoft thrives of regular players and the liks, not rentals.

I dont know who will be running the airsoft soc in my college this term, but ill find out and get some information.

If there is feasibly a way to play inter varsity matches then I'd be willing. Not being elitist, but I do not see the point in playing matches if most are rentals etc.

If we do get matches going I reckon I'll have to get get a fancy elaborate hat, being el presidente and all . . .

Like this:
    http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/regimental_helmet_with_spike_military_hat.jpg

or this:
    http://www.colbubbie.com/ProductImages/200-299/297.jpg

TheDoc wrote: »
    You also need to distinct wether or not you want to setup an airsoft club or an airsoft team society.

You ideally want to get people who play the game and have their own equipment if you are going to play inter college matches.

If you are wanting huge numbers and go on massive days out, good luck .Most sites ( besides the warehouse) do not have the equipment or facilities to accommodate a large portion of rentals, plus there would be **** all genuine interest in an inter varsity league if it was just rentals or new players.

Most sites would be willing to open on one of their closed days if you could guarantee numbers. Get in touch with another college and you could easily put together 60-80 players. Again the sites cant accomodate this, but site owners would welcome that sort of business, but then again, wont be able t oaccomodate the amount of rentals required.

That is why paintball societies thrive more, paintball lives and breathes of renting equipment and selling ammo, airsoft thrives of regular players and the liks, not rentals.

I dont know who will be running the airsoft soc in my college this term, but ill find out and get some information.

If there is feasibly a way to play inter varsity matches then I'd be willing. Not being elitist, but I do not see the point in playing matches if most are rentals etc.
    I agree with you in relation to the 'rentals', they would have a disadvantage to the regular players because of equipment quality differences. Therefore they may not enjoy their experience and turn them away from airsoft.

I started this forum to get an idea of how many players would be interested, and I am assuming that they have their own equipment or are interested in purchasing their own equipment because they are watching the airsoft section in boards. So far the numbers seem to quite good

If we do get matches going I reckon I'll have to get get a fancy elaborate hat, being el presidente and all . . .

Like this:
    http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/regimental_helmet_with_spike_military_hat.jpg

or this:
    I can only imagine.....:p

Even without going down the whole setting up a soc road, i'd say we'd have good craic and a good competition or league or whatever if we could muster teams from the different colleges, like the dcu vs nci thing

Like this:

or this:

The leader is good,
    the leader is great
    we surrender our will
    as of this date

:D

That would be fine I'm sure, but it would be good to make it official

EDIT: I'm Talking about this:

Even without going down the whole setting up a soc road, i'd say we'd have good craic and a good competition or league or whatever if we could muster teams from the different colleges, like the dcu vs nci thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

Thank god theres an airsoft society in DIT I thought I was gonna have to settle for paintball!!!

I'm all up for obliterating Doc and Sod in a college tourny :D

Advertisement