Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly stuff your parents said

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭xochillixo

wasnt what my parents said bt a teacher... not sure if im in the right forum but it kind of relates....

teacher:girls whats a legend???
    students:like a cool person (or along those lines)
    teacher: oh... i thought it was a metaphor for a person you could lean on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

You were an accident....gets me every time:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

It's not so much what my mother says, it's what she doesn't say. While she's talking sometimes she trails off into a muttter without realising or skips information and her story becomies impossible to understand.

"I was talking to Jimmy and...[mutter]...DUBLIN"

It takes a about 2 or 3 attempts the get all the info sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

I think parents (especially those who grew up in rural towns) are still adjusting to the cultural diversity of modern day Ireland... :rolleyes:

Driving through a local large town my mom comes out and says "There's a lot of them coloured people around here".

Can't take her anywhere.

LOL. I was taking my granda to a physio one day and there is this guy I go to who's Indian. First question I got was is he even qualified LOL.

So the next day I'm going in the drive of the physios place, but there is a tyre yard next door LOL. So we proceeded to drive on in and it couldn't have been better timing. This coloured guy walks out in overalls, black as the ace of spades and my granda turns and looks at me. . . "ahhhh (in a shocked tone) that's not him is it, I want to go back"

You can't write this s#it LOL. . . Awwww old people :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

"Did you write that song yourself?"
    "Yeah, i did."
    "From the internet?"

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

I think parents (especially those who grew up in rural towns) are still adjusting to the cultural diversity of modern day Ireland... :rolleyes:

I know! My parents still talk about Protestants in hushed tones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

When we first got a DVD player a few years ago my mother rang me on my mobile while I was in France to say "how do I rewind the DVD before I return it to xtra vision?".

Oh and yesterday she was looking at clothes on a website on my laptop asked me how to enlarge the images and I told her to click on the images. And she tapped the screen with her hand. It's a bloody macbook! Not a swanky touchscreen thing. And she sees me on it all the time!

Oh and about 4 or 5 years ago out the desktop computer broke and she brought it to the shop to be fixed...she brought the monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Took my 86 year old aunt out boozing last Friday. We were in a late bar nearby but it was packed and the music was ridiculously loud. She was loving it though. Anyway, after a while, she turns around and asks "Is this what they call a....gay.....bar?"

Hilariously enough, about 5 seconds later, they started playing YMCA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

She was telling my sister not to pier jum :P

???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

flanum wrote: »
    ???

I'm guessing she meant pier jump. It's where you jump off a pier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TriceMarie

Don't get drunk

Ye didn't stay in the same bed did ye?

Be good!

She likes girls too.She's bisexual...is that what it is??

He better not be touching you!:mad:

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

My granny is quite insane due to various medical conditions and thus comes out with some absolute crackers from time to time.

Once (recently) while in London on holiday, surrounded by people, she noticed a bus driver was black, turned to my grand dad & said "Oh look Pat! They let the WOGs drive the buses now!"

Another time I was sitting watching tv with her & the coke ad with the ringing bottle came on. At the end she turns & says "Those half-casts are very pretty, aren't they Simon!" Had me in stiches for about 5mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

My dad and I were shopping for bikes and he really wanted me to get this particular one but I was unsure as it looked quite butch, so he said "it's ok, it's a bisexual bike!"

Eh, think you mean unisex, dad....

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

DAMO!!! STOP THAT you'll go blind.....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Nothing! :mad:

They're more advanced than I am! (Although that's arguably not difficult)

I tried to use the GPS application on my dad's iPhone, as he wanted directions somewhere and he was driving. I couldn't work it. He ended up pulling the car over and telling me "It won't work because your fingers are too fat!"

:(

To obtain a special dialling wand, please mash the keypad with your palm now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

there was a competition on in the afternoon show. How many players are in a soccer team. 11, 7 or 24?

My mother comes in to my room to confirm her answer. I go 11 of course.

She goes "oh no i said 24"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

My dad considers himself to be very wise but he's actually quite inarticulated but really does has a heart of gold.

I'm the youngest of six and, each time one of us turned 18, Dad would take us aside and say-

"I have one word of advice for you. Don't drink, don't smoke and don't do the other thing".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

My dad refers to stereos as 'ghettoblasters'. *cringe*

Also, when he first ''got the hang of this internet yoke" instead of typing a search word into Google, he'd type the actual question as a web address, say, "www.howdoyoufixawashingmachine?.com"

My mam just can't text. She's afraid the phone will blow up if she presses the wrong key. The look of horror on her face when it says ''message not sent'' or ''error'' is priceless. Oh yeah, she also refers to going out/clubbing as ''disco-ing''. "Are ye goin' disco-ing?" Funny cuz she has a bogger accent, as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

At a rugby match my mum asked my dad where the goalkeeper was (further evidence that women should never be brought to rugby matches).

We went for a walk last easter and at the top of the mountain she said: Wow, you can see 365 degrees from up here!

She also recently asked me if I were going to picnic electric.

My mum is a bit of a tulip, god love her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

"Don't look at me in that tone of voice"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Mam asked me once

'Is Dr Dre really a Doctor?'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

"Daddy, can we go to the shop for sweets?"

"No."

"Why?"

"That's the why!"

What does that even mean?! :confused:

Oh another thing, when I was little my mam would always say "Don't come crying to me when a car runs you over and you're dead." Or some variant of it. Made absolutely no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

My mother is a big fan of Jason Timberlake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

A few years ago was driving with my mother from Galway to the Cliffs of Moher. Turned off the N18 onto N67 out through Kinvara. A couple of miles later there is a boat in a field on the right hand side of the road. Out speaks the mother" there must have a tsunami here". Nearly crashed the car laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Novella wrote: »
    "Daddy, can we go to the shop for sweets?"

"No."

"Why?"

"That's the why!"
    Brilliant! Must remember that for when I have kids:D
    A Neurotic wrote: »
    My mother is a big fan of Jason Timberlake.

Mine likes 50 Pence.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

quit putting it in the hoover

Quint wrote: »
    Mine likes 50 Pence.

Reminds me of my uncle giving out about my cousin listening to rap and Eminem, "He's always listening to that feckin' Eminem fella, Slim Shandy or whatever he calls himself!":pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

Mike... wrote: »
    Mam asked me once

'Is Dr Dre really a Doctor?'
    He sure is.
    Took the Hip-Hop-ocratic oath!
    WORD!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭rockchik

Im in work skitting away at all the posts, probably because I could imagine my parents saying them too!!:D

Not something my parent said but in work one day (nursing on a ward with a lot of elderly ladies) my colleague was at the end of a patients bed filling in forms and I was standing nearby when the patient turned to someone visiting her and says (practically shouts) " Isnt she very brave to have all that hair off her face, she has a fierce large forehead"....cue mortified nurse giggling nervously and making a quick exit while everyone around cringes for her!!

Advertisement