Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debs lark

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

At a debs I was at last year, they checked everyone's ID going in. If you were over 18 they stamped your hand with the hotel stamp so you could get served at the bar without whipping your ID out for each drink.
    Yep thats what was done at a few of my friends debs...I think its the same most places

JW91 wrote: »
    You hate every single person in your year? Seriously?

I know there's a few idiots in every year but every single person in your year could hardly be an idiot? It must'nt be entirely their fault that you have no friends at all in your year??
    I didn't call them idiots......They were your words
    And no need for such a bitchy nasty post...

An I do have friends that was a bit of an exagguration, but 6 or 7 of my friends aren't going cause they went to last years...not that I should be explaining myself to you

cGirl wrote: »
    Seriously? I'm only 17, but I finished school and I've paid for my debs. Are you telling me I might not actually get in, even if I'm not drinking?
    You'll defo get in, but you might not get served although my a few of my friends went to the year above us Debs last year, they were all underage I think and they said a few of them got served even though....
    Actually a friend of mine was 15 at the time(Youngest in our year) and she was trashed lol

Oh and i'd strongly advise against brigning a fake ID as I know 2 people who were actually refused entry from the hotel after trying to use someone elses ID.......It might not happen but do you really want to chance it after all that cash

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    But...I don't know how lol
    I tried...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

any1 else feel that nights like these (debs, balls, galas) are more effort than they're worth? too much money, too much emphasis on appearance, etiquette, preparation, etc. that makes the night itself seem like an anticlimax.

i much rather spontaneous nights out with mates @ a pub/club.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

DigiGal wrote: »
    But...I don't know how lol
    I tried...:(
    Click on multiquote_off_1.gif in the borrom right of each post you wish to reply to.

The icon should turn red.

When you are ready to reply, click on Post reply at the bottom of the page.

Click on multiquote_off_1.gif in the borrom right of each post you wish to reply to.

The icon should turn red.

When you are ready to reply, click on Post reply at the bottom of the page.
    yep, Eventine send me a PM, thanks anyway :D

DigiGal wrote: »
    yep, Eventine send me a PM, thanks anyway :D
    You're welcome.

And I'm sure you're not the only one ...

You're welcome.

And I'm sure you're not the only one ...
    I should start a support group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Mr.Helpful wrote: »
    Howdy,
    Tis the season once again!

Right heres the sceal, Ive got my debs on 18th of next month in some posh place cant think of the name right now but thats not important.
    Now I just want to be clear on this whole debs thing (grad for the people in the country) so here's a summary of the whole night;

1.The male partner [i.e me] HAS to go to the female partners house regardless of who's debs it actually is?
    2.Chocolates are given to the mammy.
    3.Flowers and the crosage thing are given to the date.
    4.A picture or several million are taken.
    5.Then a fancy car comes and collects you (is it ok just to order a taxi?)
    6.Said car brings you two the location.
    7.Then you piss the night away on over-priced drinks.
    8.Then, you bring the date home at some god ugly hour.
    9.Go home yourself in a somewhat semi conscious state.
    10.Then you spend the next three or so days coming back to normality.:p

If there is anything which I've left out, let me know.

Cheers,
    If you don't fancy your date, just do what i did and steal someone else's bird :p

grenache wrote: »
    If you don't fancy your date, just do what i did and steal someone else's bird :p
    Yes.

Coz that makes you LOADS of friends.
    ohthebaby wrote: »
    Guys, learn from my date's mistakes:

DON'T leave the table every 5 seconds for a smoke.

DON'T not buy your date a drink.

DON'T leave her alone for most of the night.

DON'T invest all your interests in another girl on the night.

DON'T get it on with said other girl in full view, leaving your date in an awkward position.

DON'T pathetically apologise repeatedly over the following days.

To put it simply, don't be a ****ing prick.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

At my Debs we all went to the same house with our dates before it (well everyone who lives around where I live in our year) before heading into the school in a bus, then the same bus to the hotel. It was a great way of doing it to be honest and don't listen to any of this rubbish about debs being overrated and not worth it, etc. It was one of the best nights of my life so far, couldn't have been more fun.

It's like everything in life. Debs is what you make it and what your year makes it. You don't *have* to do it any particular way. But I can't imagine anyone having fun at any event if they're going to it having already been told that it's overrated and stressful - so don't pay those stories any attention until afterwards!
    Remember that on websites in general, people who have a bad night are much more likely to talk loudly about how bad it was than people who had a great night are likely to talk loudly about how amazing it was. :)

EDIT: As an afterthought I should point out that every single person in my year is an absolute legend so that might have some bearing on why I had such a great night. There isn't anyone who I wouldn't want to talk to or hang out with. A lot of people in this thread seem to have serious enemies amongst their classmates so of course that would put a different perspective on things...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I ended up being a bit of a prick on my Debs. I went with a girl I wasn't into, but I got on well with. Problem was she didn't drink. So I bought her Soft Drinks, while I was drinking Pints. We had the whole Disco lark, and all my friends (well on at this stage) were out dancing. So I asked her to come out dancing... but she's a bit shy so she wouldn't come. So I went out dancing with the lads. Came back and asked her again if she'd dance. Eventually she did (for 1 dance) and sat back down. So I sat with her talking for about an hour. Got bored, asked her to come out once more... she declined... I ditched.
    Call me a bastard, or whatever, but it was my debs... I was going to enjoy it. I wasn't going to sit down and talk! I made sure she got home safe (she was 17 so couldn't get into the club after) went to the club, and only then hooked up with a different girl.
    So yeah, sorta bad form, but seriously girls, If ye don't drink, and don't want to enjoy yourself... don't expect your date to saty with you. One of my friends stayed with his date (who didn't drink) for the night and said it was the most boring night of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

We're in a recession . Hate to spoil the fun but think we all need to remind ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

I'm not suggesting the Debs should be cancelled but just to go easy on the frills and extras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Mr.Helpful

I couldnt agree with you more instead of this whole quite naff idea of getting a Hummer limo, I've rang a taxi company and asked for a Mercedes S-class instead. I know its still flash but at least its cheaper than a fudding Hummer and tbh the Hummers look awful!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement